SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-07-2013, 19:55   #1
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Takedown lever loose!

Here's the story. Glock 22 Gen4 with over 8K rounds out of it. It's run like a champ so far with zero malfunctions. Today I noticed with the slide locked back the takedown lever rattles a bit loosely in the frame.

It's still under spring tension and totally retains the slide assembly when going back into battery. But with the slide locked back, I have to push down slightly on the recoil spring assembly to get the takedown lever to spring back up into place 100%!

(I haven't started any troubleshooting process yet.)

Has anyone else experienced this with a Glock before? I don't recall ever having this issue. I doubt it's anything to be concerned about but it's kind of unnerving! as I don't want my slide going down range. I checked another new unfired Gen 4 Glock 22 and it doesn't have the same issue.

An interesting issue indeed.

Last edited by NEOH212; 07-07-2013 at 19:57.. Reason: darn spell check didn't work!
NEOH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 20:00   #2
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership

Wow, somethin' ain't right, let us know what you find.
OldSchool64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 20:05   #3
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership

I believe there is a spring that goes from the locking-block to the take-down lever (if that makes any sense) Check it out?
Old 07-07-2013, 20:07   #4
MikeG36

You mean the slide lock? If so, prolly just need a new spring. I've seen them break and the slide lock fall out so I wouldn't shoot it until you replace it. It's very simple to replace, let me know if you need to know more.
MikeG36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 21:06   #5
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

I already checked the spring and it's intact. I just tried the the slide, barrel, and rsa from the gun in question on a new unfired G22 Gen 4. No problems.

I tried the new slide assembly on the frame of the gun in question and the same problem exists. I'm wondering if the takedown lever spring is weak?

I'm going to have to try one of my spare springs and see if that makes a difference. I'm not sure though if the spring is the same as a Gen 3 Glock. Anyone know if it is?
Old 07-07-2013, 21:26   #6
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
I already checked the spring and it's intact. I just tried the the slide, barrel, and rsa from the gun in question on a new unfired G22 Gen 4. No problems.

I tried the new slide assembly on the frame of the gun in question and the same problem exists. I'm wondering if the takedown lever spring is weak?

I'm going to have to try one of my spare springs and see if that makes a difference. I'm not sure though if the spring is the same as a Gen 3 Glock. Anyone know if it is?
That was my guess.

I don't know if there's a diff. between G3 & G4 but if there is I'm sure you'll notice.

Last edited by OldSchool64; 07-07-2013 at 21:27.. Reason: missing word
Old 07-07-2013, 21:29   #7
glockman99

Make sure that the slide-lock spring is installed all the way in, and not upside-down.

Last edited by glockman99; 07-07-2013 at 21:29..
glockman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 21:30   #8
Made in Austria

There is somewhere excessive plastic sticking out/away in the horizontal groove in the frame where the slide lock spring sits in. This problem can appear in new guns as well as in guns with thousands of rounds through it. The spring gets just stuck in the groove and therefore can not put full spring tension from underneath on the slide lock and makes it sit a little loose in the frame, if the slide is locked back.

I would take the side lock and its spring out of the frame and clean/cut away the excessive plastic in the groove. It should work just fine again after you did that.

There is also a new upgraded/stronger slide lock spring available for the gen gen4 guns. Glock upgraded all gen4's with those new stronger springs back in late 2010. These springs are available at glockparts.com. You don't have to get that new spring, but it's overall a better made spring and much stiffer than the first ones.

Good luck!

Last edited by Made in Austria; 07-07-2013 at 21:44..
Made in Austria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 21:34   #9
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool64 View Post
That was my guess.

I don't know if there's a diff. between G3 & G4 but if there is I'm sure you'll notice.
I just swapped the spring and no luck. The spring is the same.
Old 07-07-2013, 21:36   #10
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made in Austria View Post
There is somewhere excessive plastic sticking out/away in the horizontal groove where the slide lock spring sits in. This problem can appear in new guns as well as in guns with thousands of rounds through it. The spring gets just stuck in the groove and therefore can not put full spring tension from underneath on the slide lock and makes it sit a little loose in the frame, if the slide is lock back.

I would take the side lock and its spring out of the frame and clean/cut away the excessive plastic in the groove. It should work just fine again after you did that.

There is also a new upgraded/stronger slide lock spring available for the gen gen4 guns. Glock upgraded all gen4's with those new stronger springs back in late 2010. These spring are available at glockparts.com. You don't have to get that new spring, but it's a better made spring overall.

Good luck!
Thanks. I was unaware of the spring (slide lock spring) update on the Gen 4 guns. I swapped the spring with a new standard one and it didn't do any different. I'm going to order the new updated spring and see what it does.

I compared the inside of both my new unfired G22 Gen 4 with the gun in question and I can't see anything that appears to be different.

It may have been like this from day one and I just may have never noticed.
Old 07-07-2013, 21:40   #11
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
There is also a new upgraded/stronger slide lock spring available for the gen gen4 guns. Glock upgraded all gen4's with those new stronger springs back in late 2010. These springs are available at glockparts.com. You don't have to get that new spring, but it's overall a better made spring and much stiffer than the first ones.
I just checked glockparts.com and I don't see a specific Gen 4 slide lock spring listed for anything but a Gen 4 19/23.

Am I missing something here?
Old 07-07-2013, 21:45   #12
Made in Austria

Maybe it's just the difference in spring tension you are feeling between the older and newer Glock which makes you think that there is something wrong with the slide lock from earlier gen4 Glock?

Edit: I am not sure if they upgraded the springs for both, compact and full size gen4's. But they sure did it with the compact guns. Glockparts and Glock never mentioned that there was a slide lock spring upgrade. They just switched the springs out, but did not change the part number.

Last edited by Made in Austria; 07-07-2013 at 21:52..
Old 07-07-2013, 21:53   #13
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership

Quote:
I just checked glockparts.com and I don't see a specific Gen 4 slide lock spring listed for anything but a Gen 4 19/23.

Am I missing something here?

Maybe, but don't worry, you're not the only one!
Old 07-07-2013, 22:00   #14
Tiro Fijo

The Gen 4 compacts had a slide lock spring change/update over a year ago. Again, that was for the compacts, not the full size nor sub compacts.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 22:26   #15
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Maybe it's just the difference in spring tension you are feeling between the older and newer Glock which makes you think that there is something wrong with the slide lock from earlier gen4 Glock?

Edit: I am not sure if they upgraded the springs for both, compact and full size gen4's. But they sure did it with the compact guns. Glockparts and Glock never mentioned that there was a slide lock spring upgrade. They just switched the springs out, but did not change the part number.
I know I'm not feeling a difference in spring tension. I tried my Gen 3 gun and it doesn't do this. I tried my new Gen 4 22 and it doesn't do this. There is definitely something wrong with this gun.

I can't see any polymer in the frame that's interfering with the spring anywhere. Although I can't exactly see what's going on inside the gun when the slide is on it.

It seems the frame is flexing to the point that somehow the recoil spring assembly is squeezing the area directly behind the rsa into the slide lock. If I push the rsa down toward the floor, the slide lock moves up into the right place and is tight.

If i push it up toward the top of the slide or lock the slide back to the rear (with or without the aid of the magazine and with or without the magazine inserted) the slide lock lever does this.

Please note that the gun hasn't malfunctioned in any way. This is just something I noticed after cleaning and going through the function checks.

I hate to say it but the frame may be out of spec. I tried a different rsa, barrel, and slide as I noted above in another post. It was still the same.

I tried the slide off of another Gen 4 gun on the frame in question and it did the same thing.

Edited to add:

So there is no confusion in terminology, the part I'm having a issue with is the take down lever, or put another way, the lever that's used to remove the slide from the frame.

Last edited by NEOH212; 07-07-2013 at 22:29..
Old 07-07-2013, 22:30   #16
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
The Gen 4 compacts had a slide lock spring change/update over a year ago. Again, that was for the compacts, not the full size nor sub compacts.
That's that I'm gathering from their site. Thanks.
Old 07-07-2013, 23:30   #17
SARDG

Quote:
Edited to add:

So there is no confusion in terminology, the part I'm having a issue with is the take down lever, or put another way, the lever that's used to remove the slide from the frame.
That is the slide lock - not take-down lever.

And how are you pushing on the RSA with the gun assembled?? Do you mean from the muzzle end?
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 23:54   #18
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARDG View Post
That is the slide lock - not take-down lever.
Yes, sorry. Still too used to Sig pistols!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARDG View Post
And how are you pushing on the RSA with the gun assembled?? Do you mean from the muzzle end?
With the slide locked back, when holding the gun and pointing it down range, I'm pushing the recoil spring assembly end (tip of rod) straight down toward the dust cover to the point that it will slightly flex.

This makes the slide lock lever move into place where it should be.

Same conditions as above, if I then push the recoil spring assembly end (tip of rod) straight up toward the top of the slide, the slide lock lever again flops around inside the frame. Or, if I just cycle the slide again and leave it locked back, it recreates the condition in question.

Last edited by NEOH212; 07-07-2013 at 23:54..
Old 07-08-2013, 00:10   #19
Made in Austria

That's strange. Makes me believe that your frame has a issue somewhere, since you have already tried a different spring. I hope you figure it out soon!
Old 07-08-2013, 00:18   #20
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
That's strange. Makes me believe that your frame has a issue somewhere, since you have already tried a different spring. I hope you figure it out soon!
That's what I'm thinking too!

(And just when I was actually considering putting this gun in a holster.)

Damn Glocks.