Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 15:40   #126
GSD17
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjk5 View Post
do you have an approximate percentage handy of crimes committed in your area with rifles? (we can just stick with rifles period, forget whether they were the "many, many" ARs and AKs as suggested)
I am a LEO. I was there last year when a fellow officer was shot in the leg with an AK47. Yes, it sounds silly when you think of cops getting shot in the leg in the movies. I assure you, it is not. His femoral artery was severed and had it not been for a State Trooper on scene with me, he would have died. He has spent the last year fighting to save his leg.

Yes, the badguy was killed after another chase and gunfight against an AK47. I'm sure glad that we did have M16s. If not, I think a few of us would have died trying to shoot back with GLOCK 22s while being shot at from a distance with an AK47.

Nope, this was not us picking on an innocent motorist who decided to take a stand against the overzealous police. This guy had just killed four people, to include a 3 year old.

It DOES happen. Out of all of our gun crimes, I'd say that a little less than half or more are rifle related.

Do YOU have statistics proving otherwise? Are you out here answering these calls every day? Or are you just privy because of the news at 6?

What you see on the news about a bad cop is less than a smidge of the rest of us. People need to quit seeing ONE bad cop on TV and assuming that all of the rest of us are not out there to protect YOUR ass.
G17,G17L,G17R,G17T,G19cutaway,G20,G21,G22,G22,G22P,G23,G26,G27,G31,G35,G37,G42
Old 07-10-2013, 15:45   #127
ArtyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose the carwash man View Post
So minus the CAS, what is the difference? The police are well within their rights to round up any "medium height, medium build, black males" in the area as long as they "meet the description".
There are a lot of differences, many of which were in my post in addition to CAS. The biggest difference? We were not subject to Iraqi or Afghan law and their citizens don't have anywhere near the protection or rights guaranteed to them that every US citizen has. Therefore, we could kick in your door, shove an M4 in your face, hog tie you and drag you out and detain you and you wouldnt be talking to any lawyer. If you didn't like it, tough ****.

Does that sound something you local SWAT can do?

Last edited by ArtyGuy; 07-10-2013 at 15:50.. Reason: Typo
Old 07-10-2013, 15:48   #128
ArtyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD17 View Post
I am a LEO. I was there last year when a fellow officer was shot in the leg with an AK47. Yes, it sounds silly when you think of cops getting shot in the leg in the movies. I assure you, it is not. His femoral artery was severed and had it not been for a State Trooper on scene with me, he would have died. He has spent the last year fighting to save his leg.

Yes, the badguy was killed after another chase and gunfight against an AK47. I'm sure glad that we did have M16s. If not, I think a few of us would have died trying to shoot back with GLOCK 22s while being shot at from a distance with an AK47.

Nope, this was not us picking on an innocent motorist who decided to take a stand against the overzealous police. This guy had just killed four people, to include a 3 year old.

It DOES happen. Out of all of our gun crimes, I'd say that a little less than half or more are rifle related.

Do YOU have statistics proving otherwise? Are you out here answering these calls every day? Or are you just privy because of the news at 6?

What you see on the news about a bad cop is less than a smidge of the rest of us. People need to quit seeing ONE bad cop on TV and assuming that all of the rest of us are not out there to protect YOUR ass.
Good post.
Old 07-10-2013, 15:54   #129
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

I think we are to a great degree losing the gist of all this arguing over details.

I think arguing that the police aren't the military is a decent argument. I also think arguing that the police like the military should not be allowed to more or less temporarily steal ones home under protection of the 3rd amendment is not a huge reach. Sure the police and the military are not the same. However, in this context they are both from the government and the both show up with guns.

Of course the homeowners may be FOS too.
Old 07-10-2013, 15:57   #130
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:

One - thanks for being a LEO.
Two - I hope I get this right, one of the TV talking heads the other day, Lou Dobbs?, said that ~467 people were killed in 2011 with long guns. More people were killed with clubs and hammers.
Old 07-10-2013, 16:31   #131
Bruce M

Quote:
Think UK, Netherlands, Germany, and Scandinavia. Most of the time their cops aren't armed and they don't have instances of cop massacres ala the Hollywood bank robbery.
How many officers were killed in the Hollywood bank robbery?
There are no instances of multiple officers being shot and killed in a single incident in any of these nations?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/ju...le-dale-cregan

ANd it appears there are a couple other instances of multiple officers in Britain fatally shot at the same time.

And the statement that officers in some of these countries are nearly never armed is just not true.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Old 07-10-2013, 16:52   #132
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Think UK, Netherlands, Germany, and Scandinavia. Most of the time their cops aren't armed and they don't have instances of cop massacres ala the Hollywood bank robbery.
You think Europe don't have cop massacres/Hollywood bank robberies because they don't have as many banks, their LE are way better armed than U.S. cops (and they're not shy of using their guns), or because Europe has much stricter gun controls?

And while we're on the subject of militarizing the police, you do remember/realize that since the early 1980s, (Western) European LE were already armed with MP5s and military caliber rifles, when U.S. LE were just beginning to "experiment" with pistol caliber patrol rifles.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.

Last edited by Patchman; 07-10-2013 at 16:56..
Old 07-10-2013, 17:01   #133
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
How many officers were killed in the Hollywood bank robbery?
The lesson of the Hollywood bank robbery is that numerical superiority of LEOs armed with handguns does NOT give them tactical advantage over lesser numbered, but long-gun-armed opponents.

And which is why those responding LEOs had to go to one (or several) nearby gunshop(s) to "borrow" some rifles and long guns.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.
Old 07-10-2013, 17:07   #134
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

The cat is out of the bag (real info) on this case, why has nobody referenced this?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
Old 07-10-2013, 17:13   #135
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
The cat is out of the bag (real info) on this case, why has nobody referenced this?
The truth doesn't fit their agenda?

Seriously, this is another case where I wish the responding LEOs wore video cams to record, from start to finish, what happened.

Last edited by Patchman; 07-10-2013 at 17:14..
Old 07-10-2013, 17:36   #136
The Fist Of Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by .264 magnum View Post
Two - I hope I get this right, one of the TV talking heads the other day, Lou Dobbs?, said that ~467 people were killed in 2011 with long guns. More people were killed with clubs and hammers.
I think you are right about the number. I heard something similar during the AWB debate this year.

However, those are homicides only. I would bet that the number of incidents where police respond to calls involving persons with long guns is greater than that. I knew a Philly PD Sgt who was killed by a bank robber with an SKS (who later tried to kill two other officers at close range). That officer did not have the option of a shotgun or M4 in his car, just his Glock 19.

From the perspective of a private citizen, if you knew you would be confronting an armed aggressor, and had time to choose a weapon, would you choose a handgun? Or would you choose an M4 with an Aimpoint?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 07-10-2013, 18:07   #137
racerford

Quote:

Cite or link please.
Old 07-10-2013, 18:51   #138
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post
Expanded/common use of blue coloured roof lights on police cars indicating merger of UN practices (traditionally, U.S. LE/first reponders only used red and white lights).

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerford View Post
I won't comment on the rest, but this is utter nonsense. They moved to blue and red or blue and white to reduce officer deaths. It was found the drunk drivers and drivers with otherwise diminished capacity were attracted to the red lights (thought they were "following" moving tail lights) and were running into the back of police cars that had people stopped on the side of the road. I think you will find when they still have red lights they are on the right side of the car and blue on the left (street side).

To suggest it is a UN thing is worse than silly.
Silly? Really? Western European LE, under UN auspice since 1949, have been using blue lights. The U.S.'s fairly recent introducing blue lights within the U.S. is just another step towards the new world order.

Even Asian and African countries are now using blue lights.

(That it helps prevent additional roadside deaths is a bonus, no doubt).

Last edited by Patchman; 07-10-2013 at 18:51..
Old 07-10-2013, 18:59   #139
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fist Of Goodness View Post
From the perspective of a private citizen, if you knew you would be confronting an armed aggressor, and had time to choose a weapon, would you choose a handgun? Or would you choose an M4 with an Aimpoint?
In a decade or two, people will be clamoring for the right to carry long arms for self protection. Why? Because the BG will be using long guns, and CCW handguns just won't be enough protection anymore!

Last edited by Patchman; 07-10-2013 at 18:59..
Old 07-10-2013, 19:20   #140
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerford View Post
Cite or link please.
Police release reports connected to 3rd Amendment lawsuit

http://www.fox5vegas.com/story/22799...ndment-lawsuit

Quote:
Police had surrounded a home near Horizon Ridge and Gibson Road after a man allegedly barricaded himself inside with a baby.

According to police reports obtained by FOX5 on Tuesday, both Michael and Anthony Mitchell had been in contact with the barricaded suspect on that day, alerting him to police activities.

The reports further indicate Anthony Mitchell refused orders from SWAT to vacate his house, instead putting on a ballistic vest and loading ammunition into a rifle magazine.
So, it seems Mitchell and his dad were calling their neighbor, who was in a standoff with police, telling the neighbor what the police were doing.

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
Old 07-10-2013, 19:23   #141
GSD17
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by .264 magnum View Post
Thank you for the thank you.

There more people were killed with blunt objects than pistols, as well.

Should we only carry batons and give up our pistols?

I don't mean that in a smartassy way, just making the point.
G17,G17L,G17R,G17T,G19cutaway,G20,G21,G22,G22,G22P,G23,G26,G27,G31,G35,G37,G42
Old 07-10-2013, 19:50   #142
Patchman
Florist

Quote:

So, it seems Mitchell and his dad were calling their neighbor, who was in a standoff with police, telling the neighbor what the police were doing.

So... if the story is correct about him and his father providing information to the hostage taker on police movements during a hostage/barricade situation. And now he's alleging 3A violation (where (his argument) the police = military), then he is admitting (and including his father) to being active enemy combatants.

Under current ROE, aren't we allowed to shoot enemy combatants (even if they are known U.S. citizens) who are actively assisting those trying to harm U.S. military?

Last edited by Patchman; 07-10-2013 at 19:52..
Old 07-10-2013, 19:57   #143
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post
... The U.S.'s fairly recent introducing blue lights within the U.S. ...t).
The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Old 07-10-2013, 20:04   #144
CAcop

Speaking of lights on a police car I heard once that other states are pissed at CA when it comes to lightbars. Apparently our vehicle code requirement of one forward facing steady red causes other states to have that one light that does not flash. Now I heard this in the old incan days of lights. With LEDs becoming more of the standard I suspect it might be easier to override the steady forward red.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
Old 07-10-2013, 22:05   #145
MB-G26
Lifetime Membership
Inertia Bound

Quote:

I see in a subsequent post that the DRs have "been released". Should make for some interesting reading later tonight - and the pieces shall perhaps fall into place.

Hum..........
I am slowly falling apart - I wish you'd take a walk in my shoes for a start. You might think it's easy being me ... Sometimes I find myself shaking - In the middle of the night. And then it hits me and I can't - Even believe this is my life
(The Wreckers; "Stand Still; Look Pretty")
Old 07-10-2013, 22:17   #146
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Thank you for the thank you.

There more people were killed with blunt objects than pistols, as well.

Should we only carry batons and give up our pistols?

I don't mean that in a smartassy way, just making the point.
I made the long gun/hammers point for context only.

IMO you guys in uniform should carry significant firepower both pistols and ARs or whatever makes the most sense.
Old 07-10-2013, 22:18   #147
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fist Of Goodness View Post
I think you are right about the number. I heard something similar during the AWB debate this year.

However, those are homicides only. I would bet that the number of incidents where police respond to calls involving persons with long guns is greater than that. I knew a Philly PD Sgt who was killed by a bank robber with an SKS (who later tried to kill two other officers at close range). That officer did not have the option of a shotgun or M4 in his car, just his Glock 19.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
M4 for certain.
Old 07-10-2013, 22:33   #148
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:

Quote:

WRONG. Play again. No "REAL" information has been released. A second side of the story has been released. A police report is not the truth, just a different version of the same event.

How it works in the USA in a situation is when two sides have very different opinions on the legality of a situation and how it occurred, the matter is tried in court and both sides get to present their version of the story and examine each other's witnesses and "facts".

So unless you have a court opinion to reference, the "real info" has not been released; only a second version of the event has been released. Your bias means that you believe any and everything that the police say. Hell, if a police report said gravity ceased to exist and the sun never came over the horizon on a given day, you would that as is absolute fact because it is contained in the police's version of a story of events.
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
Old 07-10-2013, 22:37   #149
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Still sore, eh?

Old 07-10-2013, 23:20   #150
crazymoose
Nonentity

Quote:
"Militarization of the Police" is biased/emotive bunk, period.
I think you're letting your opinion of the people who complain loudest about the phenomenon influence your judgement about its existence.

Personally, I'm glad cops nowadays tend to have much more modern guns, armor, and better training. That's not what the militarization idea is about.

The reason I see a militarization going on is based primarily on the increasing frequency of SWAT/ERT/Tac team deployments. In the past, these units were basically reactionary forces sent in to known, bad situations. More often now, they're deployed as a preventative measure on high-risk warrants. In some big cities, it's almost a daily occurrence. And I get the rationale for that- the tidal wave of black market money from the war on drugs has definitely escalated the firepower gangs and organized crime are using, exactly like how prohibition ensured that guys like Capone could afford the best guns and cars. From the standpoint of public safety, as well as protecting officers' lives, it makes sense to go in with a full team rather than having a couple of uniformed officers knock on the door.

The part about it that gives me pause is that it feels like a blurring of the constitutional division of military and police duties. It might not violate the letter of the law, but as for the spirit of the law, it's a grey area, when you have the law frequently being enforced by guys who look, act, and are armed like soldiers.

Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. Voltaire

Last edited by crazymoose; 07-10-2013 at 23:21..
Closed Thread