Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 17:55   #26
muscogee

Why not a Fourth Amendment rather than Third? Seems definitely like unreasonable seizure.

Leona Helmsley
Old 07-08-2013, 17:56   #27
hogfish
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcop View Post
Good question. I know the answer and it points to why this may be BS.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Make sure the two of you don't hurry up and enlighten us.

"Almost no matter the question, capitalism and freedom are the answers, while government and religion are not." Syclone538
Old 07-08-2013, 19:10   #28
Jose the carwash man

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcop View Post
Good question. I know the answer and it points to why this may be BS.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Let's pretend for a second that it happened just the way the homeowner said it did. What would you do if those were officers under you?
Old 07-08-2013, 19:10   #29
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose the carwash man View Post
Depends on how much they are lying. I am not sure about this particular court but I wanna say the loser pays the winners legal fees in federal civil cases.

I posted a video from a 4th of July DUI checkpoint and it wouldn't shock me in the least to see those cops do something like mentioned in this case. They are audio recorded off camera berating the subject about how his "rights" don't mean spit to them.
So if the cops did in fact commit this crime as alleged, they're going to get sued. Fired and perhaps prison. But if the plaintiff made this up in the first place, at most they're liable for is court costs?

Who's going to parse the degree of lying?

Double standards?

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.
Old 07-08-2013, 19:12   #30
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfish View Post
Make sure the two of you don't hurry up and enlighten us.
CACop is playing a cruel joke on you. He's forcing you to t-h-i-n-k on your own.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.
Old 07-08-2013, 19:15   #31
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Let's pretend for a second that it happened just the way the homeowner said it did. What would you do if those were officers under you?
Let's pretend it comes out the homeowner made this up completely or to a high degree. What should these officers do to the homeowner as payback?

Last edited by Patchman; 07-08-2013 at 19:15..
Old 07-08-2013, 19:18   #32
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
Why not a Fourth Amendment rather than Third? Seems definitely like unreasonable seizure.
I "believe" the party backing the Henderson plaintiff has a running agenda about suing LE under the 3A.

Old 07-08-2013, 19:30   #33
Jose the carwash man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post
So if the cops did in fact commit this crime as alleged, they're going to get sued. Fired and perhaps prison. But if the plaintiff made this up in the first place, at most they're liable for is court costs?

Who's going to parse the degree of lying?

Double standards?
Absolutely there is a double standard, the police are involved with enforcing the law, this is why CDL truckers can't get tickets removed from their record. I'd like to see the law where cops get double the punishment for breaking crimes.

Last edited by Jose the carwash man; 07-08-2013 at 19:31..
Old 07-08-2013, 19:32   #34
Jose the carwash man

Quote:
Let's pretend it comes out the homeowner made this up completely or to a high degree. What should these officers do to the homeowner as payback?
Way to dodge the question. I'm pretty sure since this is civil, the worst that could happen would be them paying the court costs. On the other hand if what they say is true, the police have committed multiple felonies that land all of us civilians in prison.
Old 07-08-2013, 19:33   #35
2bgop

Quote:
Absolutely there is a double standard, the police are involved with enforcing the law, this is why CDL truckers can't get tickets removed from their record. I'd like to see the law where cops get double the punishment for breaking crimes.

You're new here, cry of double standard is frequent.
Old 07-08-2013, 19:38   #36
Glocksanity

Police departments accept money from the DHS. Not a stretch to say they are a Federal Police Force, or domestic standing army.

Stay out of my house. Thank you very much.

Sic semper evello mortem Tyrannis!
Old 07-08-2013, 19:40   #37
hogfish
Señor Member

Quote:
CACop is playing a cruel joke on you. He's forcing you to t-h-i-n-k on your own.
If that's the case, I'm out.

"Almost no matter the question, capitalism and freedom are the answers, while government and religion are not." Syclone538
Old 07-08-2013, 19:40   #38
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Quote:
Way to dodge the question. I'm pretty sure since this is civil, the worst that could happen would be them paying the court costs. On the other hand if what they say is true, the police have committed multiple felonies that land all of us civilians in prison.
Now you're dodging.

What retribution is appropriate against the homeowner if he made this up or highly exaggerated this incident?

Old 07-08-2013, 19:47   #39
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glocksanity View Post
Police departments accept money from the DHS. Not a stretch to say they are a Federal Police Force, or domestic standing army.
Militarization of the police. Surplussed military equipment. More and more LEOs have military background. Rank structure. LE wear uniforms, including combat styled boots. Use of military terminology. DHS getting delivery of 2.7 billion rounds of small arms ammo since January 1 of this year. Expanded/common use of blue coloured roof lights on police cars indicating merger of UN practices (traditionally, U.S. LE/first reponders only used red and white lights).

Probably many more indicia that I missed.

Old 07-08-2013, 19:49   #40
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bgop View Post
You're new here, cry of double standard is frequent.
He's new here. Let him know that the application of double standard is even more frequent.

Old 07-08-2013, 19:51   #41
2bgop

Quote:
He's new here. Let him know that the application of double standard is even more frequent.
I will make sure he pitches in to tissue fund.
Old 07-08-2013, 19:52   #42
Jose the carwash man

Quote:
Now you're dodging.

What retribution is appropriate against the homeowner if he made this up or highly exaggerated this incident?
Not at all, like I said previously (twice actually) if they are making it all up then they will have to pay for the court costs. Law enforcement are absolutely held to a higher standard since they are given the public trust.
Old 07-08-2013, 19:55   #43
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Quote:
Militarization of the police. Surplussed military equipment. More and more LEOs have military background. Rank structure. LE wear uniforms, including combat styled boots. Use of military terminology. DHS getting delivery of 2.7 billion rounds of small arms ammo since January 1 of this year. Expanded/common use of blue coloured roof lights on police cars indicating merger of UN practices (traditionally, U.S. LE/first reponders only used red and white lights).

You've been here long enough to know better.
Stop with the scripted bias that's been refuted ad nauseum.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
Old 07-08-2013, 20:03   #44
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Not at all, like I said previously (twice actually) if they are making it all up then they will have to pay for the court costs. Law enforcement are absolutely held to a higher standard since they are given the public trust.
So your position is that any plaintiff (I'm not talking specifically about the Henderson plaintiff) can go to court and submit a document full of lies and/or highly exaggerated facts... and once found out to be lies, only face the penalty of court costs?

So lying to the courts is not a violation of the public trust?

Old 07-08-2013, 20:07   #45
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
How quaint. LE is held to the higher standard but everyone else can just lie.

Old 07-08-2013, 20:14   #46
Bruce M

Quote:
Militarization of the police. Surplussed military equipment. More LEOs have military background. Rank structure. LE wear uniforms, including combat styled boots. Use of military terminology. DHS getting delivery of 2.7 billion rounds of small arms ammo since January 1 of this year. Expanded/common use of blue coloured roof lights on police cars indicating merger of UN practices (traditionally, U.S. LE/first reponders only used red and white lights).

I think you got about all of them but I thought it was 4.9 billion rounds

Quote:
I think it is that and the "blue wall" that makes cops feel like they are a class above your average civilian. In most other countries the cops are part of the community first and foremost and *big shocker* actually more interested in the welfare of the people they serve when who get's the newest model of Taser or laser sight.
I would love to hear or read about these studies suggesting how much better the police in other nations are integrated into the community..
Quote:
I have a Ranger friend who said the RoE for American SWAT teams is lower than what he had going on raids in Afghanistan and Iraq.
Among other problems in non-military operations, I think the term you mean is "use of force rules." And the next time civilian police here use and air strike or artillery please let us know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glocksanity View Post

Very interesting legal argument. Well, very entertaining at least.

Forget civil court, if this is true, I am shocked they are not at the appropriate U.S. Attorneys Office looking for federal criminal charges.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Old 07-08-2013, 20:15   #47
Patchman
Florist

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
You've been here long enough to know better.
Stop with the scripted bias that's been refuted ad nauseum.

If it's the truth, I can't say it often enough.

If it's not the truth, why should I be held to a higher standard?

Old 07-08-2013, 20:17   #48
Jose the carwash man

Quote:
So your position is that any plaintiff (I'm not talking specifically about the Henderson plaintiff) can go to court and submit a document full of lies and/or highly exaggerated facts... and once found out to be lies, only face the penalty of court costs?

So lying to the courts is not a violation of the public trust?
In a civil case that is correct. There are criminal penalties associated with filing a false police report.
Old 07-08-2013, 20:18   #49
Bruce M

Quote:
If it's the truth, I can't say it often enough.

If it's not the truth, why should I be held to a higher standard?

I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Old 07-08-2013, 20:19   #50
Jose the carwash man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyGuy View Post
I'm active duty Army with experience in both theaters doing raids. Your friend is mistaken or you misunderstood him. I would offer that SWAT teams would love to have the freedom we did. Nothing stopped us from hog tying folks, detaining them, etc. We weren't dealing with folks that had rights anywhere close to what John and Jane Q. Public have.
He was a 3/75 Ranger and while I forget the exact wording, he responded to a video showing a botched SWAT raid with that comment.
Closed Thread