SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-07-2013, 22:44   #21
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1gun View Post
I run it in 9mm in my Springfield EMP. Eats it all day long. 10" not enough penetration...
Horse crap. Place a tape measure up against your chest and see where it would stop...past your heart or any other vital organ. I swear some of you guys can make up some retarded crap. Some ***** about too much penetration others not enough. Dear lord some of you are way out in left field. There are NO ABSOLUTE one shot stops in ANY handgun calliber. None of us have any control over an incident that has not taken place yet. Just make sure the firearm functions with whatever you choose. There are no magic bullets.
The single most widespread reliable ammo is ball ammo. Terminal ballistics suck compared to modern hollowpoint ammo. I see no problem punching a hole clean through both sides other than secondary impact. target gets to bleed from both sides. People die on a regular basis from ball ammo. The ammo in question will most likely perform just fine. I happen to think it is a bit genius. Reliability of ball ammo with some decent penetration and expansion. If you read enough of this crap every single manufacturer has a fail somewhere on you tube. It makes sense that everyone fails at some point. When making the bullets....you get the metallurgy just a little off and no expansion. The copper supplied to the manufacturer was out of speck by a couple percent. It's to hard. Is not pliable enough to open on impact. To soft...comes unglued on impact. People..just pick one that turns you on for some reason and run with it and make sure your firearm functions. It really is that easy.

I will just point out the Biggest flaw in your diatribe and let others have the rest.

Most of use wouldn't shoot with the intention of having our target bleed to death sometime in the future. Not only does that border on a real bad concept to legally defend, it misses the point of "self-Defense"

Most of us would SHOOT TO STOP.

"I shot him hoping that he would eventually bleed to death" just doesn't sound right in court.

I will leave it to someone else to correct the mistake (if anyone realizes it) of trying to compare penetration in ballistic gel to performance in humans.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 22:52   #22
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonMan View Post
Absolutely NO mistake whatsoever pard. "Me and Corbon spent a good deal of time" on the phone (back in the day) when this happened. I was testing these rds (in an informal way) but I know what I was shooting amigo !

Corbon POWERBALL..!

They acted just as I described. Corbon and i parted ways way back then... Ha.

CanyonMan
Well, if the pic I posted doesn't convince anyone, then why would your testimony? An inch of jello caused it to fly apart.

Quote:
I run it in 9mm in my Springfield EMP. Eats it all day long. 10" not enough penetration... Horse crap. Place a tape measure up against your chest and see where it would stop...past your heart or any other vital organ.
And speaking of jello, it's just a benchmark medium to compare one round to another. 10" of penetration in jello doesn't mean 10" in flesh and bone.

Last edited by Zombie Steve; 07-07-2013 at 22:53..
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 00:15   #23
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Here's some really sound advice on the Powwer Ball ammo:

Forget about that gimmicky junk and buy some good street proven ammo.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:13   #24
WinterWizard

Quote:
10" not enough penetration...
Horse crap. Place a tape measure up against your chest and see where it would stop...past your heart or any other vital organ. I swear some of you guys can make up some retarded crap.
Yet another fool who thinks it's always going to be a frontal chest shot on an attacker who is not holding his arms up and is wearing only a t-shirt.

Scenario #1: A large man who is attacking you. He is also wearing a leather jacket. Say he is coming at you with a knife or weapon of some kind. You only have time to get one or two shots off before he is on top of you. So maybe you have to shoot through his raised arm, which is covering the vital zone. That bullet has to go through two sides of a leather jacket, two sides of a shirt, about 5 inches of forearm, maybe bone... How much penetration is left in your 9-10" Pow'r Ball after that? Maybe 3-4"? Are you going to trust that to reach the heart and take this guy out?

Scenario #2: A large man is attacking a loved one. You have to make a side shot. Again, do you trust your 9-10" of penetration to get through his arm, jacket and shirt (both sides) and into his torso from the side, and into his vitals. Good luck with this one, also.

Scenario #3: An attacker approaches your car window. He holds a knife to your throat or a gun to your head. You have to draw and potentially shoot through the door to stop him. Do you trust your Pow'r Ball then?

These are just three obvious ones. There are countless others.

PENETRATION IS THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR IN BALLISTICS. If you don't know or appreciate this, maybe you should take your "horse crap" to the mall ninja forums. 12" is minimum. 13-15" is better. 15-18" is preferred. Most common handgun calibers are woefully underpowered to begin with. Take away their penetrating ability and you might as well be throwing stones.

Last edited by WinterWizard; 07-08-2013 at 07:15..
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:37   #25
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

Very good examples, penetration is needed. I've read of several instances where the only shot available was quite literally up the rear end of the BG so the bullet had to travel a good ways up the torso to reach vitals.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:18   #26
Merkavaboy
Code-7A KUZ769

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWizard View Post
Yet another fool who thinks it's always going to be a frontal chest shot on an attacker who is not holding his arms up and is wearing only a t-shirt.

Scenario #1: A large man who is attacking you. He is also wearing a leather jacket. Say he is coming at you with a knife or weapon of some kind. You only have time to get one or two shots off before he is on top of you. So maybe you have to shoot through his raised arm, which is covering the vital zone. That bullet has to go through two sides of a leather jacket, two sides of a shirt, about 5 inches of forearm, maybe bone... How much penetration is left in your 9-10" Pow'r Ball after that? Maybe 3-4"? Are you going to trust that to reach the heart and take this guy out?

Scenario #2: A large man is attacking a loved one. You have to make a side shot. Again, do you trust your 9-10" of penetration to get through his arm, jacket and shirt (both sides) and into his torso from the side, and into his vitals. Good luck with this one, also.

Scenario #3: An attacker approaches your car window. He holds a knife to your throat or a gun to your head. You have to draw and potentially shoot through the door to stop him. Do you trust your Pow'r Ball then?

These are just three obvious ones. There are countless others.

PENETRATION IS THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR IN BALLISTICS. If you don't know or appreciate this, maybe you should take your "horse crap" to the mall ninja forums. 12" is minimum. 13-15" is better. 15-18" is preferred. Most common handgun calibers are woefully underpowered to begin with. Take away their penetrating ability and you might as well be throwing stones.
Scenario #1: You get attacked by a thin emaciated crack or meth head wearing a cotton hoodie and brandishing a weapon and in the background behind the attacker there's a park full of children and mothers pushing their babies in strollers.

Scenario #2: You're with your wife or daughter and a petite female transient sitting on the sidewalk jumps up and attacks her with a knife because she refused to give the transient a dollar. Your only saving shot is a torso shot from behind the attacker with your wife or daughter directly in the path of your bullet(s).

Scenario #3: You're in line at the check-out counter of a Stop-n-Rob or a bank and a robber comes in wearing full body armor and starts shooting people and you're unable to escape with your wife and kids.

In Scenario's #1-2 the use of deep penetrating "FBI used and approved" heavy weight bonded or all-copper load in any caliber has an extreme chance of overpenetrating and causing injury or death to an innocent person. And in Scenario #3, nothing short of AP ammo will get the job done.

We can play your scenario games all day and not get anywhere fast.

Depth of penetration with SD handgun ammo is not the be-all-end-all of fight stopping ability, nor is shooting through barriers or obstructing limbs of an attacker. If this were true than there would be no need for modern JHP bullets and FMJ, JSP, solid lead and maybe even armor piercing bullets (for the paranoids) would be the norm in everyones' SD handguns.

Arguably the two most proven loads that have been documented in actual shootings are the .357 Mag 125JHP and the 9mm 115JHP+P+ used for years by LE and citizens alike. Yet both of these loads FAIL to pass the FBI's ballistic protocols with on average only 10 inches (+/-) penetration in ballistic gel. Inconceiveable that any SD load that doesn't penetrate at least a minimum of 12-16" of ballistic gel can be capable of stopping an attacker, any attacker! Why do you say that? Because the FBI, the "ballistic experts", the gello and water jug shooters who post videos on YouTube and the Internet gurus tell us so!
Merkavaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:28   #27
Andy P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkavaboy View Post
Scenario #1: You...

Last edited by Andy P; 07-08-2013 at 09:29..
Andy P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:14   #28
WinterWizard

Quote:
Scenario #1: You get attacked by a thin emaciated crack or meth head wearing a cotton hoodie and brandishing a weapon and in the background behind the attacker there's a park full of children and mothers pushing their babies in strollers.

Scenario #2: You're with your wife or daughter and a petite female transient sitting on the sidewalk jumps up and attacks her with a knife because she refused to give the transient a dollar. Your only saving shot is a torso shot from behind the attacker with your wife or daughter directly in the path of your bullet(s).

Scenario #3: You're in line at the check-out counter of a Stop-n-Rob or a bank and a robber comes in wearing full body armor and starts shooting people and you're unable to escape with your wife and kids.

In Scenario's #1-2 the use of deep penetrating "FBI used and approved" heavy weight bonded or all-copper load in any caliber has an extreme chance of overpenetrating and causing injury or death to an innocent person. And in Scenario #3, nothing short of AP ammo will get the job done.

We can play your scenario games all day and not get anywhere fast.

Depth of penetration with SD handgun ammo is not the be-all-end-all of fight stopping ability, nor is shooting through barriers or obstructing limbs of an attacker. If this were true than there would be no need for modern JHP bullets and FMJ, JSP, solid lead and maybe even armor piercing bullets (for the paranoids) would be the norm in everyones' SD handguns.

Arguably the two most proven loads that have been documented in actual shootings are the .357 Mag 125JHP and the 9mm 115JHP+P+ used for years by LE and citizens alike. Yet both of these loads FAIL to pass the FBI's ballistic protocols with on average only 10 inches (+/-) penetration in ballistic gel. Inconceiveable that any SD load that doesn't penetrate at least a minimum of 12-16" of ballistic gel can be capable of stopping an attacker, any attacker! Why do you say that? Because the FBI, the "ballistic experts", the gello and water jug shooters who post videos on YouTube and the Internet gurus tell us so!
Scene #1: If you shoot, you better not miss. And if a hollow point, expands and gets out of the body, it will have almost no energy left. But to shoot in any situation where you don't trust yourself to not miss and hit innocent people beyond is irresponsible. "Be aware of your target and beyond." One of the 4 basic safety rules.

Scene #2: Another irresponsible shot. Adjust your position to get a side shot. Again, "Be aware of your target and beyond."

Scene 3: Okay, what does this have to do with anything? No hollow point is going to help against body armor.

Don't make irresponsible shots. Any hollow point, deep or shallow penetrating, can not open and become an FMJ that will pass through and WILL have energy to harm someone.

And your 9mm +P+ and .357 magnum example is no good. They have improved even those bullet designs to get to 12"+ nowadays, realizing that the old penetration performance of those rounds wasn't cutting it.

Bottom line is you have to worry about missing more than overpenetration.

If you can't get to the vitals, you can't stop an attack, even if you are shooting a bullet the size of walnut. This is not the parroted opinion of "internet experts." It is fact. PENETRATION is the most important aspect of terminal ballistics. This is fact.

Last edited by WinterWizard; 07-08-2013 at 10:22..
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:09   #29
M 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
Here's some really sound advice on the Powwer Ball ammo:

Forget about that gimmicky junk and buy some good street proven ammo.

Very sound advice, indeed. Nice post.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:31   #30
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Steve View Post
Well, if the pic I posted doesn't convince anyone, then why would your testimony? An inch of jello caused it to fly apart.

And speaking of jello, it's just a benchmark medium to compare one round to another. 10" of penetration in jello doesn't mean 10" in flesh and bone.

I know my friend, I know... I hear ya...

Thanks Steve !

CanyonMan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7

Last edited by CanyonMan; 07-08-2013 at 11:43..
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:18   #31
countrygun

Quote:

You are making the very common internet error of comparing apples to oranges, specifically ballistic gel testing. You have the cart way in front of the horse.

Ballistic gel is merely a consistent testing medium it does not mimic the behavior of a bullet in the human body in any direct correlation. It is like a "ballistic pendulum" merely a laboratory tool to compare relative performance in a controlled test.

We seriously need to move away from all of the discussion of kitchen treats and how they relate to performance on the street or at least grow up and admit that one type of test in one substance is only a small part of the overall the overall testing procedure and that testing procedure is still a theoretical SWAG when it comes to performance on the street.

The FBI looked at many real shootings, evaluated the real results and then established their "baseline" in part by how the rounds from successful shootings then performed in the testing medium. The FBI then adds to those results characteristics they would like to see "improved" for their mission and training.

Ballistic gel only compares the relative penetration of rounds in ballistic gel. It is nothing more that the old "baffle box" of 1 pine boards that has been updated by the Food network.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:36   #32
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
You are making the very common internet error of comparing apples to oranges, specifically ballistic gel testing. You have the cart way in front of the horse.

Ballistic gel is merely a consistent testing medium it does not mimic the behavior of a bullet in the human body in any direct correlation. It is like a "ballistic pendulum" merely a laboratory tool to compare relative performance in a controlled test.

We seriously need to move away from all of the discussion of kitchen treats and how they relate to performance on the street or at least grow up and admit that one type of test in one substance is only a small part of the overall the overall testing procedure and that testing procedure is still a theoretical SWAG when it comes to performance on the street.

The FBI looked at many real shootings, evaluated the real results and then established their "baseline" in part by how the rounds from successful shootings then performed in the testing medium. The FBI then adds to those results characteristics they would like to see "improved" for their mission and training.

Ballistic gel only compares the relative penetration of rounds in ballistic gel. It is nothing more that the old "baffle box" of 1 pine boards that has been updated by the Food network.

Exactly !

Dang good post amigo... Can't add a thing here. Very well said !

I did 'highlight" a few of my favorite 'terms' you phrased here ! ha.

Stay safe !

CanyonMan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Old 07-08-2013, 14:44   #33
English

I have tried to resist this, but I am but weak flesh.

The Glaser Safety Slug is a frangible bullet which consists of a metal jacket which contains lead shot. It is designed to break up on impact to produce a very nasty but relatively shallow wound. Animal testing shows it to be able to produce one shot stops under ideal conditions. What it is not good at is hitting an arm first and then producing a rapid stop, but the arm would be taken out of the fight.

Part of what it is designed to do is reduce the risk of shoot throughs when the body is hit or when a wall is hit. When it hits a substantial metal or brick object it is likely to break up and spray shot in a wide number of directions, so the probability of serious injury is reduced but the probability of minor injuries is increased. Like a shot gun, it is quite likely to penetrate partition walls but the shot would then spread out and be slightly less likely to cause serious injury on the other side of the wall.

The Power Ball is completely different. It is designed to overcome the problem of conventional hollow point bullets clogging with clothing or bone and failing to expand. To understand this you have to understand how a hollow point expands. In ballistic gel or unobstructed flesh, the speed of the bullet liquifys the tissue in front of it and creates a high hydrodynamic pressure. That pressure, since it has no escape route except straight ahead applies an equal pressure perpendicular to the surfaces inside the hollow point. That pushes the petals outwards and usually splits them in the process but then their surfaces are closer to facing forwards and they are bent backwards to an extent depending on bullet speed and the toughness of the bullet. If the hollow point is filled with rigid material, such as compressed clothing or rib bone in particular, the hydrodynamic pressure can't get down into the hollow point to force out the petals and the bullet behaves like a solid. In that form it penetrates further but does less damage to the side of its track. It loses the very benefits that hollow point bullets are designed and chosen for!

The power ball gets round this problem by carrying its own liquid. Well, not quite, but it replaces it with a soft rubbery plastic which, when compressed from the front, presses outwards on the petals and opens them regardless of what it is going through. Unlike a conventional hollow point which collapses its petals into no more than a rough nose when fired through metal sheet, the power ball will expand as it hits the metal sheet. In practice, depending on the thickness and strength of the metal it might expand fairly normally, but it will then make a bigger hole and loose more energy than an equivalent hollow point, or it might fold back its petals and remain bigger than an equivalent hollow point. So shooting an attacker through your car door might have a better or worse result depending on initial bullet energy and where you hit your attacker from Power Ball to conventional HP. The conventional HP will almost certainly lose less KE but the Power ball will hit with a bigger frontal area.

The argument about whether it is better to have more penetration at the cost of less damage to the side of track has gone on for a long time but is irrelevant here. More or less what ever happen to a bullet as it hits a leather covered arm before penetrating the chest will be the same between conventional HP and Power Ball except that the Power Ball will expand normally and the conventional HP might clog. If you are devious minded you might gamble on the conventional HP clogging as a design feature to leave it with enough penetration in that circumstance.

That is the theory but how well the power ball behaves in the real world is a matter for the real world and also depends on the quality of its other design factors. Golden Sabre, Gold Dot, Black Talon and others are all conventional HPs but they don't behave quite the same. Similar factors within the Power Ball can make equivalent differences to its performance. In time we might get enough data to make a sensible guess. For now, I would be quite happy carrying Power Ball if I had that opportunity, but I would be happier with it if it had more than a 9x19mm cartridge case behind it.

As a small matter of interest, about half of all shots through the rib cage hit a rib on the way. That will make far less difference to a Power Ball than to conventional HPs.

English
English is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 15:11   #34
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by English View Post
I have tried to resist this, but I am but weak flesh.

The Glaser Safety Slug is a frangible bullet which consists of a metal jacket which contains lead shot. It is designed to break up on impact to produce a very nasty but relatively shallow wound. Animal testing shows it to be able to produce one shot stops under ideal conditions. What it is not good at is hitting an arm first and then producing a rapid stop, but the arm would be taken out of the fight.

Part of what it is designed to do is reduce the risk of shoot throughs when the body is hit or when a wall is hit. When it hits a substantial metal or brick object it is likely to break up and spray shot in a wide number of directions, so the probability of serious injury is reduced but the probability of minor injuries is increased. Like a shot gun, it is quite likely to penetrate partition walls but the shot would then spread out and be slightly less likely to cause serious injury on the other side of the wall.

The Power Ball is completely different. It is designed to overcome the problem of conventional hollow point bullets clogging with clothing or bone and failing to expand. To understand this you have to understand how a hollow point expands. In ballistic gel or unobstructed flesh, the speed of the bullet liquifys the tissue in front of it and creates a high hydrodynamic pressure. That pressure, since it has no escape route except straight ahead applies an equal pressure perpendicular to the surfaces inside the hollow point. That pushes the petals outwards and usually splits them in the process but then their surfaces are closer to facing forwards and they are bent backwards to an extent depending on bullet speed and the toughness of the bullet. If the hollow point is filled with rigid material, such as compressed clothing or rib bone in particular, the hydrodynamic pressure can't get down into the hollow point to force out the petals and the bullet behaves like a solid. In that form it penetrates further but does less damage to the side of its track. It loses the very benefits that hollow point bullets are designed and chosen for!

The power ball gets round this problem by carrying its own liquid. Well, not quite, but it replaces it with a soft rubbery plastic which, when compressed from the front, presses outwards on the petals and opens them regardless of what it is going through. Unlike a conventional hollow point which collapses its petals into no more than a rough nose when fired through metal sheet, the power ball will expand as it hits the metal sheet. In practice, depending on the thickness and strength of the metal it might expand fairly normally, but it will then make a bigger hole and loose more energy than an equivalent hollow point, or it might fold back its petals and remain bigger than an equivalent hollow point. So shooting an attacker through your car door might have a better or worse result depending on initial bullet energy and where you hit your attacker from Power Ball to conventional HP. The conventional HP will almost certainly lose less KE but the Power ball will hit with a bigger frontal area.

The argument about whether it is better to have more penetration at the cost of less damage to the side of track has gone on for a long time but is irrelevant here. More or less what ever happen to a bullet as it hits a leather covered arm before penetrating the chest will be the same between conventional HP and Power Ball except that the Power Ball will expand normally and the conventional HP might clog. If you are devious minded you might gamble on the conventional HP clogging as a design feature to leave it with enough penetration in that circumstance.

That is the theory but how well the power ball behaves in the real world is a matter for the real world and also depends on the quality of its other design factors. Golden Sabre, Gold Dot, Black Talon and others are all conventional HPs but they don't behave quite the same. Similar factors within the Power Ball can make equivalent differences to its performance. In time we might get enough data to make a sensible guess. For now, I would be quite happy carrying Power Ball if I had that opportunity, but I would be happier with it if it had more than a 9x19mm cartridge case behind it.

As a small matter of interest, about half of all shots through the rib cage hit a rib on the way. That will make far less difference to a Power Ball than to conventional HPs.

English
Sorry you went to all that trouble.

The image in post # 3 is more convincing.
Old 07-08-2013, 16:25   #35
Merkavaboy
Code-7A KUZ769

Once again WinterWizard, we can play your scenario games all day long....
Merkavaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 17:47   #36
thinktwice

Thanks for all the info guys. I think I am going to dump the Power Ball, and use something else like 230 gr HP for short barreled pistols. For the record so far the Micro Compact has been 100% reliable. However I have only fired a couple hundred rounds through it so we will see.
Old 07-08-2013, 18:11   #37
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

http://www.thegunzone.com/powrball.html
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 18:53   #38
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinktwice View Post
Thanks for all the info guys. I think I am going to dump the Power Ball, and use something else like 230 gr HP for short barreled pistols. For the record so far the Micro Compact has been 100% reliable. However I have only fired a couple hundred rounds through it so we will see.

Well, good wisdom amigo, BUT... Man, understand, (politely speaking) you DO NOT need "short barrel ammo..." Just get a box of Ranger T 230gr bonded, or a box of WW PDX1 230gr, or Hornady 230gr XTP's.... You do NOT need that "short barrel mess."

Again, Out of my 3.78" barrel G36, same as your G30, I get 840/850-ish, with "factory, and my home rolled stuff in 230gr (which is all will consider shooting in a 45acp) gets 230gr XTP at 907fps...

This plenty enough in both...

ALL these are Plenty Enough for SD man ! Do Not buy into all this other hype.

I assure you these I have mentioned, and several others in 230gr, will give you ALL the horse power you need in that G30 for any SD senerio!

Good shooting !

CanyonMan

Old 07-08-2013, 19:45   #39
dkf

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinktwice View Post
The Federal HST has a more rounded nose than some other jhp. They usually feed very well. Worth picking up a box or two to try.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 20:27   #40
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonMan View Post
Well, good wisdom amigo, BUT... Man, understand, (politely speaking) you DO NOT need "short barrel ammo..." Just get a box of Ranger T 230gr bonded, or a box of WW PDX1 230gr, or Hornady 230gr XTP's.... You do NOT need that "short barrel mess."

Again, Out of my 3.78" barrel G36, same as your G30, I get 840/850-ish, with "factory, and my home rolled stuff in 230gr (which is all will consider shooting in a 45acp) gets 230gr XTP at 907fps...

This plenty enough in both...

ALL these are Plenty Enough for SD man ! Do Not buy into all this other hype.

I assure you these I have mentioned, and several others in 230gr, will give you ALL the horse power you need in that G30 for any SD senerio!

Good shooting !

CanyonMan

Very well said. I've crono'd several loads in .45 from various barrel lengths and the velocity loss between them weren't enough to loose sleep over. In my crude ballistics testing and some that was scientific (some what) I've concluded the same thing about short barrel ammo. It isn't necessary.

All the good SD ammo has enough arse behind it to get the job done and then some.