Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:57   #1
BlackPaladin

Pursuit

A pursuit ended about an hour ago here. The car was a 1988 Camaro @ 105 MPH. I was not the lead unit, I did throw a stinger spike strip though.

I don't have a lot of experience with tire deflation systems, since I never seem to be in the right place, at the right time....until tonite anyway.

I pulled the squad to the side of the road, let the guys know the plan, and looked for cover (there was none). It was pitch black dark, so I put my high beams on and got about 50 yards or so behind the squad so at least dirtbag could not see me (that was the thought process anyway). Well, no traffic was present except for dirtbag and other LE, so I tossed the strip, which landed about the center line of a 2 lane highway. I am figuring "well, in case he moves over some, at least I get a tire or two."

Not so, he ends up swerving far to the right, leaving the road for the narrow shoulder and I am unsuccessful.

I was pretty disappointed in myself because if I had been one more foot to the right, I think I would have had it.

The story has a happy ending, I was able to turn around and at least somewhat keep up at a distance. At least enough to call ahead when dirtbag would make a turn. He eventually went off the end of a T-road into a field and that was it.

No reason for this post except to get it out to CT I guess. I get a bit of anxiety I suppose because I hear too many stories of guys getting hurt deploying the spikes. Despite the situation working out, I tend to kick around the "shoulda done this instead."

That is all.
niners club #187
moto club #600
Bull dawgs club #55
RIP Ofc. Tommy Decker #6402 CSPD
BlackPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:08   #2
Vigilant

A State Trooper was murdered here a while back deploying spike strips. The bastard hit him head on, intentionally. Y'awl got the POS, and none of you were hurt. Teamwork still prevailed. Congrats.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:22   #3
4949shooter

You weren't hurt. That is the most important thing.

The employment of spike strips is a seriously dangerous endeavor.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:50   #4
knoxvegasdaddy
UBER VOL !!!

I've seen many a video of the driver swerving around the spikes and thought to myself "why not 2 sets?" I've noticed that nearly every road in America has 2 lanes or more.

Are they too big to fit in the trunk? Do they cost too much to issue a pair?

Nice job, Paladin.

Counting on someone else's self restraint for your safety is not a strategy. - OLY-M4gery
knoxvegasdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:56   #5
Tvov

I have never seen spike strips deployed. Are they reflective / shiny? Easy to see from a driver's point of view? Would "camo" spike strips work?

One I had never heard about was the targeting of the officer deploying the strips.

Sounds like you did everything correctly.

I'm not angry, I'm just loud. - Friend's son.
Tvov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:40   #6
Officer X

At Street Survival and another officer safety seminar, I have seen multiple videos of drivers swerving and striking officers deploying spike strips, it isn't pretty.

It all ended well and you were't hurt, a win is a win.

Stay Safe.
Officer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:29   #7
steveksux
Massive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxvegasdaddy View Post
I've seen many a video of the driver swerving around the spikes and thought to myself "why not 2 sets?" I've noticed that nearly every road in America has 2 lanes or more.

Nice job, Paladin.
The problem is Admin cannot in their wildest dreams imaging having a pair.

Glad you weren't hurt, that's the main thing. That's awfully dangerous, perp going high speeds doesn't have to intend to hit you to hit you.

Randy

Last edited by steveksux; 09-22-2013 at 07:35..
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:09   #8
indigent
Bamboozled

From someone who came with in 8" of being hit by a POS trying to miss spikes, make damn sure you have solid cover. I too was behind my squad, except the POS was coming at me instead of from behind.....

I'd rather tell the boss that I didn't deploy the spikes and stayed in 1 piece, than have to have my chief tell my 7 year old why I'm not coming home...

Like others have said, you got the POS and your in 1 piece and that's all that matter... File it away as a learning experience.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:44   #9
merlynusn

The spike strips are fairly large. They take up a ton of room in the trunk. Ours are mounted on the trunk itself. I don't think they'd have enough room for a two lane set. Plus, the are already bulky and difficult to throw. If you doubled it, it probably wouldn't work as well.

To the OP, you got it deployed safely and got them out of the road for the officers coming through. You got the guy too. Good job.
merlynusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:28   #10
Chowser

Glad you're not hurt. We had those strips in the past, we deployed them once, not very safe. Bad guy missed it, chase car did not. Oops.

Another incident, we set up, toss them out, bad guy swerves to miss it and runs into pole. crash. chase over. except we took out tires on two police cars too.

We got rid of them and got the triple set which you set up off road, cross the street to a safe area and when you see the bad guy coming, you pull it into the road, they run it over, then you pull it off the road. We like these better, it's more controlled and safer.

We got them to work once. It was rare that we were in position to do it.
Chowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:25   #11
Ftttu

Great that the tur_ finally got gotten anyway. I've never been in the right place at the right time either to have deployed them. However, I have used my knife to flatten tur_ vehicle tires.

What I plan on doing is have them as far over to the other side of the roadway/shoulder as possible and then pull them swiftly towards me if he attempts to avoid them. That's how we are trained to deploy them at least.

Last edited by Ftttu; 09-22-2013 at 11:26..
Ftttu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:47   #12
ELbeaux

As others have said, you got the bad guy and you came home safe and sound. Mission accomplished. Good job .

www.survivalmonkey.com
ELbeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:53   #13
Kadetklapp
Methberry PD

My old agency had Stingers which are the roll type spike pads. My current agency uses the much simpler stopsticks but I've yet to get any use from them.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Kadetklapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 13:57   #14
ClydeG19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftttu View Post
Great that the tur_ finally got gotten anyway. I've never been in the right place at the right time either to have deployed them. However, I have used my knife to flatten tur_ vehicle tires.

What I plan on doing is have them as far over to the other side of the roadway/shoulder as possible and then pull them swiftly towards me if he attempts to avoid them. That's how we are trained to deploy them at least.
Yeah this is how I was taught as well. My agency doesn't have them though. I was in a perfect place once...had the pursuit not gotten off at the previous exit on the highway and I actually had spike strips. I could've been behind the overpass and he'd have never known.
ClydeG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 14:53   #15
BamaTrooper
Almost Done

Send a message via Yahoo to BamaTrooper
We use Stingers. I've deployed them 3 times and they worked all three. 2x I was ahead of pursuit, parked car on shoulder and had time to cross the roadway (2 lanes on I 10 and 2 lanes on I 65), place strips and unroll cord back across to my chosen location.

On I 10 I set up under and overpass and had the overpass, guardrail and car for protection AND I was in the ditch away from the road. As pursuit approached I puled spikes into/across the fast lane, when driver tried to move to right I pulled htem into the path.

On I 65, I used car and ditch and same deployment method with same driver reaction and slight pull to hit target.

The third deployment was on a county road and I got there with about 20 seconds to spare and both I and a deputy deployed our spike by sliding them out ahead of the car. He was using a set that folded out in some sort of sock.

Last edited by BamaTrooper; 09-22-2013 at 15:08.. Reason: capitalization
BamaTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 15:40   #16
indigent
Bamboozled

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaTrooper View Post
He was using a set that folded out in some sort of sock.
Probably StopSitcks. They are a triangular piece of foam with the spikes inside the foam. The come in a nylon sleeve with handles at the fold points. If deployed you can throw them and they will unfold then you can use the cord reel to move them across the road.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:58   #17
collim1
Shower Time!

Glad you are okay, its easy to get excited and put yourself in a bad spot trying to get a good throw.

I've carried them for 6+ years and never been in the right place to use them.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:31   #18
Austin Millbarge

I have used stop sticks twice. You throw them across the road, take cover, and then pull them with string in front of the bad guy. Works pretty well. I've used them twice, worked both times.

Love when we have multiple agencies in the chase though. At least one will not get the info to back off in time, always get at least one cruiser. My record is one bad guy and three cops.
Austin Millbarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:11   #19
x_out86

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxvegasdaddy View Post

Nice job, Paladin.
Because when you deploy two sets in close proximity to each other, they find a way to come in contact with each other and become intertwined in a knot that only a screwdriver will take apart. Then they also create a problem pulling both tangled sets off the road for pursuing squads.

Don't ask how I know this......

In all seriousness, our agency uses stingers and I am one of our instructors for them. We hear a few complaints about them, and those that we do hear are usually a problem caused by guys who haven't touched their spikes in years and have forgotten how to properly deploy them. I have personally spiked one car and got 3 of the tires. I even have the stinger pin and sticker to prove it.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker.

Last edited by x_out86; 09-23-2013 at 10:11..
x_out86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:23   #20
Sgt127

I've deployed them a couple times successfully. The best way I have found is to park my car on one side of the street, no overheads, way off the shoulder, lay the strips down behind my car and run across the street with the string/handle. Then hide behind a concrete pillar...huge tree...bridge abutment etc. Get on the radio and let them know where I am. And then reel it across as he comes by.

My theory is that if he will believe I am at the car and expects the strips to come from the other side. So, I either surprise him, or, he aims for my car, thinking I'm there and, the Crown Vic gets to fill the role of stopping him.

Last time it was quite a surprise for the bad guy....and the lead unit apparently. If you are the lead unit, you might want to stay at least a couple car lengths off the suspects ass. I can only react so fast. I was nice enough to pick him up though so he could be there for the capture.

Problem is, you need time and, have to know the area. Can't really do it on a highway, and, you gotta guess where he's going. I've been wrong more than I've been right.

I've gotten wrapped up in the excitement of the hunt and thrown them in front of cars in a hasty manner before. I'm not doing that again. Its not worth it, I was hanging out in the open.
Sgt127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:29   #21
Roadkill_751
5 or 6 rounds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaTrooper View Post
He was using a set that folded out in some sort of sock.
Those sound like StopStiks. In my opinion are better than the Stingers.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:32   #22
Roadkill_751
5 or 6 rounds?

!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt127 View Post
I've gotten wrapped up in the excitement of the hunt and thrown them in front of cars in a hasty manner before. I'm not doing that again. Its not worth it, I was hanging out in the open.
We had one Deputy several years ago throw some Stingers like a casting net over the car that was being pursued. They just landed on the otherside of the road and the chase continued on.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:42   #23
ray9898

Basically all the successful deployments I have seen started with setting up the sticks parallel with the white line and pulling them across into the path from the opposite side of the road. I have never seen one laid across the roadway work, it is just too visible to the approaching suspect.
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:53   #24
BlackPaladin

Some good information posted here, thanks to those with more experience in this for posting.
niners club #187
moto club #600
Bull dawgs club #55
RIP Ofc. Tommy Decker #6402 CSPD
BlackPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:15   #25
wjv

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveksux View Post
The problem is Admin cannot in their wildest dreams imaging having a pair.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote