JAS104
NRA Life Member

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 07-06-2013, 22:37   #62
Nestor
Lean & Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdollars View Post
If you were limited to just one handgun and you HAD to pick from the following firearms, which would you go with? This would be for home defense, carry, ....any and all purposes.

1. S&W 1911SC E Series .45
2. Ruger SR1911 Commander .45
3. S&W M&P 9c 9mm
4. S&W M&P 40c .40
5. Sig Sauer P229 .40
6. Ruger SR9c 9mm
7. Ruger SR40c .40

Just those, no other choices. What would you go with?

Thanks,
Sorry none of the above really fits into "all purpose" category set in the title of this thread.
That would be more like Glock 20 or S&W 686 or 629.
Since no Glock is available my vote goes to S&W 686 4 inch barrel.

R.I.P Jeff (23Skidoo), Chad (CJLandry) & Mark (Okie) You all will be missed.
Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 22:53   #63
chrisbritt15

Sig 229 and never look back

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
chrisbritt15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:51   #64
Glock40man

My pick from the list would be the Sig 229 as well.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:59   #65
bigdollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
I guess I'd take the commander 1911, since I carry a 1911 now.
BOTH 1911's are commander length 4.25 inch barrels.
BLACK RIFLE CLUB #97, NECC #98,
SMITH & WESSON CLUB #98, SIG CLUB #99,
SNUBBIE CLUB #99, RIMFIRE CLUB #115,
RUGER CLUB ??
bigdollars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:07   #66
bigdollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson8861 View Post
In a commie state is a .357 revovler allowed? If so I would choose the S&W airlite 360 PD. Also why hasn't kussor been banned yet?
yea most everything S&W does is sold here because they are based in springfield MA
RUGER CLUB ??
Old 07-07-2013, 04:09   #67
bigdollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg702 View Post
Take a look at one, they are phenomenal guns.
thank you i am going to do that. it would make sense, it functions the same as my P229
RUGER CLUB ??
Old 07-07-2013, 04:12   #68
bigdollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonD View Post
SW1911 but life is too short to limit yourself to one handgun. Don
wow it only took 56 posts for someone to pick this. i thought for sure more people would. i think the all black version is gorgous. thanks.
RUGER CLUB ??
Old 07-07-2013, 04:19   #69
bigdollars

Thank you everyone for the input. Sorry there were not more handguns to pick from but in my state there are not a lot of manufacturers who do business here. It seems no one picked the Ruger SR compacts, almost no one picked the M&P 40c, the Ruger 1911 Commander, or to my surprise the S&W1911Sc E Series. The 2 that got the most picks were the Sig P229 which I already own and the M&P 9c which I will have to take a good look at. There were also some great suggestions that are available in my state that were not on the list so thanks again everyone and enjoy your Sunday. Shoot straight and watch your six!
RUGER CLUB ??
Old 07-07-2013, 04:22   #70
ratf51

It is too early in the morning, you have GOT to get off the computer.

I vote 229.
ratf51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:53   #71
redrick

1 or 2 .
redrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:47   #72
ronin.45

That list kind of sucks, but if that's all the choices, M&P9c.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:16   #73
engineer151515

Model SW1911SC
E-Series™ - Round Butt, Scandium Frame

'cause it's on my current list of "want to own".
Old 07-07-2013, 10:45   #74
fastbolt

I don't know about the "any & all purposes" aspect and that restricted of a list of only semiauto handguns, and only chambered in the Big Three service calibers.

Sounds more like instead of any & all purposes, you've already narrowed the potential purpose down to it being used for a defensive role in some circumstances. (Not a hunting handgun, nor a handgun to protect against feral/dangerous animals more than thin-skinned, some competition venues, etc.)

As a firearms instructor I'd not recommend a 1911-style SA pistol for someone, especially for dedicated defensive usage, unless I knew that person was already familiar with a 1911, or was planning to attend some training to become very familiar with it.

As a longtime 1911 owner & shooter, of those listed I'd go with the Enhanced series of the SW1911SC, no question.

If not a 1911? Either the M&P 9c or 40c, depending on the experience and skillset of the potential owner/user.

I've seen some folks trying to choose between the 9c & 40c, and while most folks can adapt to the increased felt recoil & muzzle whip of the .40 S&W on a static, slow-fire range ... once we transition to some demanding, faster paced shooting drills, the controllability & practical accuracy quickly shows they have much better results using the 9c, even loaded with +P ammo.

I own a 40c, myself (since 2010). The only reason I picked it over the 9c was because I already had more 9's than .40's, and I'd received a M&P .40 extractor bar gauge tool from S&W (as an armorer), by mistake, instead of a .40/10 extractor bar gauge I'd ordered for the 3rd gen guns. I kept the M&P extractor bar gauge and simply decided I might as well have a gun for which the tool might someday be useful.

Anyway, the 40c is a very easy shooting .40 for a gun in the general size/weight range of, say, a G27 (I have one of those, too), but the 40c is easier to shoot over the course of longer range sessions than my G27. (I have more than 15,000+ rounds fired through that G27, so it's not like I haven't acquired some passing familiarity with using it.)

So ... the 9c is usually something I recommend interested folks try out on a range, along with the 40c, before finalizing their decision.

The Rugers? Longtime Ruger owner, user & enthusiast. However, the last Ruger centerfire semiauto of theirs I found even remotely interesting was the KP90DC (which I tried my best to wear out, eventually replacing several parts due to either normal wear or minor breakage).

P229? Decent service-type pistol in TDA (tradition double action, also called DA/SA by many folks). Some folks also like the enhanced double action only mode (what Sig also calls their DAK, in-house). Sig refers to it as a "compact" but it's a lot larger than their actual "compact", the P239 series. It feels & carries like a full-size service pistol. That may or may not be an advantage, depending on other things with any particular owner.

Personally, I tend to look more toward revolvers for "any & all purposes", as they still fill a viable role and offer advantages ... no magazines needed, no disassembly/field-stripping for cleaning, less susceptible to ammunition sensitivity & shooter grip stability issues, easier to maintain at the user level for normal conditions, some interchangeability in ammunition among some calibers/models (.38 Spl can be fired in .357 Magnum models, .44 Spl in .44 Magnum).

You have to ask yourself which of those models may suit your needs, skillset, experience and actual anticipated range of conditions in which you may be using a handgun ... and make the best informed decision possible.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer

Last edited by fastbolt; 07-07-2013 at 10:48..
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:38   #75
Restless28

Fastbolt, as usual, nailed it again.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:39   #76
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

You were on trace when you listed the Smith as #1 in the first place. The S&W1911Sc E Series would be my pic of what was listed.
faawrenchbndr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 15:49   #77
bigdollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbolt View Post
I don't know about the "any & all purposes" aspect and that restricted of a list of only semiauto handguns, and only chambered in the Big Three service calibers.

Sounds more like instead of any & all purposes, you've already narrowed the potential purpose down to it being used for a defensive role in some circumstances. (Not a hunting handgun, nor a handgun to protect against feral/dangerous animals more than thin-skinned, some competition venues, etc.)

As a firearms instructor I'd not recommend a 1911-style SA pistol for someone, especially for dedicated defensive usage, unless I knew that person was already familiar with a 1911, or was planning to attend some training to become very familiar with it.

As a longtime 1911 owner & shooter, of those listed I'd go with the Enhanced series of the SW1911SC, no question.

If not a 1911? Either the M&P 9c or 40c, depending on the experience and skillset of the potential owner/user.

I've seen some folks trying to choose between the 9c & 40c, and while most folks can adapt to the increased felt recoil & muzzle whip of the .40 S&W on a static, slow-fire range ... once we transition to some demanding, faster paced shooting drills, the controllability & practical accuracy quickly shows they have much better results using the 9c, even loaded with +P ammo.

I own a 40c, myself (since 2010). The only reason I picked it over the 9c was because I already had more 9's than .40's, and I'd received a M&P .40 extractor bar gauge tool from S&W (as an armorer), by mistake, instead of a .40/10 extractor bar gauge I'd ordered for the 3rd gen guns. I kept the M&P extractor bar gauge and simply decided I might as well have a gun for which the tool might someday be useful.

Anyway, the 40c is a very easy shooting .40 for a gun in the general size/weight range of, say, a G27 (I have one of those, too), but the 40c is easier to shoot over the course of longer range sessions than my G27. (I have more than 15,000+ rounds fired through that G27, so it's not like I haven't acquired some passing familiarity with using it.)

So ... the 9c is usually something I recommend interested folks try out on a range, along with the 40c, before finalizing their decision.

The Rugers? Longtime Ruger owner, user & enthusiast. However, the last Ruger centerfire semiauto of theirs I found even remotely interesting was the KP90DC (which I tried my best to wear out, eventually replacing several parts due to either normal wear or minor breakage).

P229? Decent service-type pistol in TDA (tradition double action, also called DA/SA by many folks). Some folks also like the enhanced double action only mode (what Sig also calls their DAK, in-house). Sig refers to it as a "compact" but it's a lot larger than their actual "compact", the P239 series. It feels & carries like a full-size service pistol. That may or may not be an advantage, depending on other things with any particular owner.

Personally, I tend to look more toward revolvers for "any & all purposes", as they still fill a viable role and offer advantages ... no magazines needed, no disassembly/field-stripping for cleaning, less susceptible to ammunition sensitivity & shooter grip stability issues, easier to maintain at the user level for normal conditions, some interchangeability in ammunition among some calibers/models (.38 Spl can be fired in .357 Magnum models, .44 Spl in .44 Magnum).

You have to ask yourself which of those models may suit your needs, skillset, experience and actual anticipated range of conditions in which you may be using a handgun ... and make the best informed decision possible.
you are correct, there is no hunting or hiking going on. the term any and all purposes is what is used around here to make it clear you want your class a permit unrestricted. it is for home and personal defense and to carry. i do own the p229 and during the summer i do find it a bit too large to carry. the .40 round is a bit snappy, we all know this but in the 229 it is no problem at all. now in another lighter gun, it could be. thank you for your professional input into the matter. i have often looked into adding something else to the firearms family that is not as large and heavy as the 229 but i often stop short of buying something because what i find is pistols not as reliable as the old workhorse.
RUGER CLUB ??
Old 07-07-2013, 16:16   #78
fastbolt

Quote:
... adding something else to the firearms family that is not as large and heavy as the 229 but i often stop short of buying something because what i find is pistols not as reliable as the old workhorse.
Is the P239 on the allowable list there?

If your 229 is TDA, and you get a 239 in TDA, it gives you a leg up on familiarity with the new pistol. That can be handy.

Granted, the different grip dimension can introduce some conditions that may require some minor adjustment to your grip. I knew of a guy who had carried an issued 229, and then bought himself a 239. His grip positioned his thumb in a different spot on the 239, and he experienced unintentionally stopping the slide from locking back on an empty mag in the smaller gun. The difference in grip frame dimensions just let his thumb fall differently against the frame, pressing against the slide stop lever.

The M&P compacts are pretty nicely done plastic pistols. It's just that while the design, dimensions and oevrall ergos of the M&P compact are pretty good, not everyone's hands seem to fall comfortably alongside the guns, and this may adversely affect operation of the mag catch, slide stop lever and thumb safety (on models so equipped).

Then again, you're also going to have to adjust to the MA compliant version, with its heavier trigger pull.

Have you tried a 239? Rather somewhat of a chunky, fat grip, but all-in-all a nicely done single stack compact Sig. If I didn't already own an excellent 3913 & 4040PD, I'd have picked one up.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 16:41   #79
Maine

Quote:
P239M is allowed in all 3 calibers. 9/40/357
This is correct.

Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 16:45   #80
Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Jack View Post
Glock 32, but it's hard not to pick the Glock 20.
My choice would be the G32 as well. But since its not on your list, I would go with the P229 with 357sig barrel.

Maine is offline   Reply With Quote