SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:29   #1
Bolster
Not Ready Yet!

Human Equivalent of Dog Food?

My dog's always excited to eat his dog food. "Oh boy!" he says. "Dog food again!" What's the human equivalent of dog food? Preferably with these dog-food-like attributes:

- Good enough you wouldn't mind eating it frequently.
- Has most of the nutrition you need (carb protein and fat)
- Stores a reasonably long time in a dry state
- Ready to eat
- Economical.

Dog food is basically a protein-rich cereal. But AFAIK, there is no equivalent of "chicken cereal" for humans, such as "ChickenOs" or "MeatyFlakes."

Seems to me the closest we humans have to this, is protein energy bars. What am I missing? Why don't we humans have this advanced food technology?

EDIT: Due to widespread misunderstanding of the original question, let me clarify: Dog food is only an analogy for a prepared, homogenous, ready-to-eat, low-cost food. The question pertains to food for humans.

I am:
- not asking whether humans can/should eat dog food.
- not asking if dog food is healthy for humans or dogs.

Last edited by Bolster; 08-10-2012 at 12:42..
Bolster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:44   #2
Kozel

Spam.

You REALLY do not want to know what dog food is made of. I wish I could tell you but you will puke all over your computer.
Kozel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:48   #3
Breadman03

Send a message via Skype™ to Breadman03
Trail mix. Use nuts, dried berries, and dried fruits for a decent nutritional balance.
Old 06-27-2012, 13:39   #4
Bolster
Not Ready Yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadman03 View Post
Trail mix. Use nuts, dried berries, and dried fruits for a decent nutritional balance.
Really? I thought trail mix/gorp was good for quick energy and killing off the appetite, but nutritionally unbalanced with very high sugar (fruit) and very high fat (nuts). Perhaps I'm wrong. It would have some protein from the nuts. So, yeah, maybe that's as close as we get.

Spam's not nutritionally balanced at all! It scores some of the worst nutrition ratings possible. Rates a solid "F" at caloriecount.com for overall nutritional value, not just its calories.

I keep thinking there must be some sort of high-protein cracker available.

Last edited by Bolster; 06-27-2012 at 13:49..
Old 06-27-2012, 13:49   #5
Kaybe

Soylent Green. That stuff is not so tasty, but it does the job.
Kaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 13:51   #6
Bolster
Not Ready Yet!

Exactly. I'm looking for Soylent Green.

Cannibalism by the 5th post. A record?

Survival/Preparedness Forum

Last edited by Bolster; 06-27-2012 at 18:27..
Old 06-27-2012, 13:53   #7
wjv

peanut butter. .

MREs. .

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 13:59   #8
John Rambo
Raven

Bacon
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 14:00   #9
DoctaGlockta

- Barack Hussein Obama
DoctaGlockta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 14:13   #10
Breadman03

Send a message via Skype™ to Breadman03
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolster View Post
Really? I thought trail mix/gorp was good for quick energy and killing off the appetite, but nutritionally unbalanced with very high sugar (fruit) and very high fat (nuts). Perhaps I'm wrong. It would have some protein from the nuts. So, yeah, maybe that's as close as we get.

Spam's not nutritionally balanced at all! It scores some of the worst nutrition ratings possible. Rates a solid "F" at caloriecount.com for overall nutritional value, not just its calories.

I keep thinking there must be some sort of high-protein cracker available.
There's always beans, particularly soybeans, but I'm not too sure they would be very palatable without reconstitution.

I think it would be good to graze on throughout the day, keeping harder to prep items that round out nutritional needs for meals.
Old 06-27-2012, 15:01   #11
SFCSMITH(RET)

Human dog food.
SFCSMITH(RET) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 15:44   #12
quake

Jerky maybe, or those old "coast guard ration" bars perhaps?

Different approach; higher-end animal treats can be not bad. I used to eat these until my wife cut me off (after her friends saw me eating them one too many times):

Don't dismiss them offhand. Shelf-stable for over two years, tasted (to me) better than any crackers we'd have in the house, and the ingredient list reads like some yuppie organic food-snob's dream come true:
Quote:
Ingredients - Organic Barley Flour, Ground Chicken, Organic Carrots, Organic Apples, Chicken Fat (Preserved Naturally with Mixed Tocopherols and Lecithin), Rolled Oats, Rosemary Extract.
That said, I never ate them as more than snack food, so no telling about any potential gastric issues if used large-scale or long-term.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 16:07   #13
crazi_e

Interesting
crazi_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 17:07   #14
wjv

Actually dry dog food doesn't have a long shelf life. Maybe a year or so. Don't know about the canned stuff.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 17:20   #15
greenman19

if you can't find this we fed somolia with red beans and rice during the Clinton peacekeeping mission. it works.

Last edited by greenman19; 06-27-2012 at 17:23..
greenman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 17:26   #16
smokin762

Dinty Moore.

http://www.hormelfoods.com/brands/di.../default.aspx/#
smokin762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 18:26   #17
Bolster
Not Ready Yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
Different approach; higher-end animal treats can be not bad. I used to eat these until my wife cut me off (after her friends saw me eating them one too many times):
Found some high end dog crackers at Trader Joe's, read the list of ingredients, and it was: wheat, peanut butter, water, carrots, stuff like that (this particular cracker had no meat). I'm still vague on why the dog can eat my food but I can't eat his.

Agree with wjv, no way could dog food have a long shelf life with the fat (oil) it contains. But darned convenient.

Still curious why there really is no "bachelor chow" available: pour it out of the package and eat it, get all the nutrition you need. Flavor optional, the point is to stay alive. Here's someone contemplating a Bachelor Chow recipe.

Last edited by Bolster; 08-10-2012 at 12:27..
Old 06-27-2012, 22:40   #18
I Shooter

Chili with beans is the closest thing for humans to dog food. Then I am told that some old people are eating dog food because because they don't have enough money for every thing. Me, I will go with the chili.
I Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 22:45   #19
Bolster
Not Ready Yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Shooter View Post
Then I am told that some old people are eating dog food because because they don't have enough money for every thing.
You referring to me and Quake?

I think the Dems dust off that "elderly eating dogfood" every damned election season that a R has the presidency, for as long as I can remember. Doesn't seem to ever be a problem when a D's in charge. I've noticed that the homeless also magically disappear as a topic when D's are in the Oval Orifice.

The gullibility of the Am public never ceases to amaze. I wish there were a stock called "Americans Understanding Political Cause and Effect." I would short that stock and make millions.

Last edited by Bolster; 06-27-2012 at 22:48..
Old 06-28-2012, 00:03   #20
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjv View Post
Actually dry dog food doesn't have a long shelf life. Maybe a year or so. Don't know about the canned stuff.
I've got 3yo dry that is fine.Keep it chilled and away from air.Canned has a long shelf life,we are using 07 dated right now.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:55   #21
quake

Quote:
...Agree with wjv, no way could dog food have a long shelf life with the fat (oil) it contains. But darned convenient.
You guys are right; I was relying on memory (often a mistake), and when I rechecked I saw I was wrong. Ten months is what they list for dry; so probably 18 months or so realistically.

Quote:
...I'm still vague on why the dog can eat my food but I can't eat his.
I never thought to put it to her that way. I may go buy a bag of the Newman's Own this week and take it out to her dog's pen, take along with some people food as well, and share both between the two of us.

Thank you for adding to my marital harmony. When she goes crazy-wife on me, I'll be sure to credit you with the idea...

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:22   #22
bdcochran

different response

Why use personal experience as a guide when it is simple to research on google?

By dog food I take it what is meant is canned dog food. This is composed of meat and offal together with, in some products, a cereal or other non-meat filler. The product is cooked and sterilised/pasteurised during the canning process. It should therefore be microbiologically safe to eat for humans. Kibble, dried dog food, could also be taken into account, although it has significantly less moisture, and generally has a lower protein content.

There are some issues that arise from consumption of dog food, however:

Pet foods may be made from animals in which the presence of prions, which cause encephalopathies such as BSE in cattle and variant CJD in humans, may be likely. According to the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO), animal by-products in pet food may include parts obtained from any animals who have died from sickness or disease provided they are rendered in accordance to law. As well, cow brains and spinal cords, not allowed for human consumption due to the possibility of transmission of BSE, are allowed to be included in pet food intended for non-ruminant animals. As prions are not exactly living microorganisms, even cooking cannot prevent the transmission of Bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE).
Nutrition in pet food is often substituted for a cheaper alternative. You may have noticed that pet foods are measured for "crude protein" or "crude fibre". Both have nothing to do with protein content and fibre content we have become so accustomed to in human foods. Crude protein is calculated by taking Total nitrogen multiplied by the nitrogen conversion factor = 6.25. Crude protein can therefore be artifically raised by adding non-protein nitrogen. Non-protein nitrogen (or NPN) refers collectively to components such as urea, biuret, and ammonia, which are not proteins but can be converted into proteins by microbia in the ruminant stomach. Due to their lower cost compared to plant and animal proteins their inclusion in a diet can result in economic gain, but at too high levels cause a depression in growth and possible ammonia toxicity (microbes convert NPN to ammonia first before using that to make protein.) Crude fibre is the term given to the indigestible part of foods, defined as the residue left after successive extraction under closely specified conditions, and has nothing to do with dietary fibre. Therefore long-term consumption of dog food may not be enough to meet a human's dietary needs and could possibly cause problems due to inability to use NPN to efficiently create proteins.

MyUtapia® Of

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_humans...#ixzz1z67hkeQb
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:23   #23
bdcochran

translation is provided

If you don't mind eating "downers" and contracting all kinds of diseases, go right ahead and eat dog food.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:40   #24
Bolster
Not Ready Yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcochran View Post
By dog food I take it what is meant is canned dog food.
First off, the whole "can humans eat dog food" part is OT. The question is, what human food stores/is convenient/is nutritious like dog food is for a dog.

Original post stated: "Stores a reasonably long time in a dry state." I don't think Quake was talking wet dog food. As I stated, the dog crackers I tried had no meat in them at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcochran View Post
Why use personal experience as a guide when it is simple to research on google?
As an epistemological question? Because results of a google search are far from infallible !! I'd take my own experience over some random anonymous internet "expert" any day.

Anyway, back to the OP, what is the equivalent of dog food for humans?

At this point I'm thinking it's cereal. I think I saw a Kashi cereal once that had protein.

Last edited by Bolster; 06-28-2012 at 08:59..
Old 06-28-2012, 08:41   #25
bdcochran

I caught my French girlfriend eating the doggie treats last year. She thought that they were cookies.