SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-27-2013, 21:30   #1
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

What's everyone's take on the precious metals nosedive?

Just wondering what your thoughts are here in S&PF
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 21:59   #2
bdcochran

Three basic uses of gold:

manufacturing;

hedge against inflation;

consumption.

Most of the US demand is hedge. The Chinese demand is for consumption, as jewelry. Ditto for the East Indians.

China is undergoing a belt tightening right now. Interest rates are rising. Cheap labor production is shifting to Vietnam, Bangladesh, and India. There are purportedly 4,000,000 vacant apartments in Bejing as the real estate investment has tanked. The Central Government is taking a harder look at municipalities issuing bonds and banks making bad loans. So, if you are a Chinese businessman, you have to be a little unsure that you should go buy jewelry for the wife, for the marriage dowry or whatever.

If you simply looked at the building inflation in the US (the government has deliberately tinkered with the formulation of the CPI over the last 20 years), you would think that gold prices would be going up.

So. Like so many other things - buy ammo, buy gold, buy silver, buy land, go into plastics (movie - The Graduate), yatta yatta, you take risks in this world.
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 22:09   #3
Texanmile

Well, Glenn Beck made his money...

Well... all the conservative commentators scaring elderly and easily influenced watchers have gotten their cut from Goldline and the other companies, selling at high prices.

I feel bad for the folks who bought the hype.
Texanmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 22:13   #4
Texanmile

... on that note there are a lot of folks with 800 dollar rifles they paid 3K for right now...

Fear is quite the sales tactic... and people keep getting "scared" no matter how many times the ones doing the scaring are proven wrong.
Texanmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 00:27   #5
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMTactical View Post
Just wondering what your thoughts are here in S&PF
Well, see...they're going down. And later on, they'll go back up...until they go back down again...but after that they'll go back up.
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:46   #6
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post
Well, see...they're going down. And later on, they'll go back up...until they go back down again...but after that they'll go back up.
Of course.
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:11   #7
IV Troop

Great time to buy....
There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all.THEODORE ROOSEVELT: 1915
IV Troop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:16   #8
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

I think that paper traders set the price. As such when George Soros started the sell off on paper the price went down as the paper sell of continued. Holding U.S. paper being a poor choice for security, like holding gold paper, if the big players like Soros want security they will want physical gold.

So looking at Soros history of currency manipulation I would not be surprised if he bought physical gold when the price gets low enough for him.

But what do I know...

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
UneasyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:25   #9
pugman

Hard to tell.

If you look at ebay and the sales of junk silver prices are still hovering in the $24-$25 range for silver.

I watch a lot of auctions. Some guy just had about a dozen large sales of silver dimes and quarters. 1100 silver dimes which "should" have sold in the $1500 range went for $2200. He also had sales of 1300+ quarters which again should have sold in the $4400 range selling for over $5,000. In this aspect, I think people are taking it as a chance to convert dollars to some sort of physical asset. Literally, all the junk silver sales are going for more than they should when compared to spot prices. In general sales are running 15-20% over spot.

The funny thing is I told friends if silver got below $20 its a nice time to buy...problem is you can't buy silver at $20.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:22   #10
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
The funny thing is I told friends if silver got below $20 its a nice time to buy...problem is you can't buy silver at $20.
That is true. Most places are running about $4-$5 over spot for sales of silver. I take that into account when I buy.

As to the original question, I think others have posted correctly. It's a dip and I intend to take advantage of it in a reasonable way.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

One day closer to retirement . . .
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:23   #11
wjv

Now it will take 50% more silver to hire a hooker. . .

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:33   #12
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

if you buy it for the short term gain you will most likely loose.... look at the 20 year span.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 13:37   #13
fastbolt

I think there's always going to be a lot of hype involved in gold & silver.

I think that some folks who buy it for apocalyptic & societal/monetary system collapse reasons aren't seeing the real big picture in their future fear scenarios.

My silver is worth more than I paid for it 25+ years ago. If I'd have bought a couple hundred pounds of it back then, it might be worthwhile by now.

The gold jewelry I have from the 60's is worth more than when I bought it, but the purchasing power of the equivalent dollar value, if I were to convert the jewelry into today's cash? Not rushing out to sell my gold jewelry.

Hedge? Sure. Why not? Long term. Really long term. I'd not sell the farm to turn it into gold, though.

Put it away for your kids in their middle age. Let them figure out the practical value of it at that time.

Remember the example of how a $20 gold piece could buy a suit in the early 1900's, and how the value of the same gold piece could buy an equivalent suit at today's values for both the gold piece and the suit?

I think some of my comic books have increased more in value.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 14:31   #14
SFCSMITH(RET)

Can't eat it, drink it, shoot it or plant it.

What little I have is accidental.

So what the "market" does, or, does not do, is just news, nothing more.

Last edited by SFCSMITH(RET); 06-28-2013 at 14:32..
SFCSMITH(RET) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 14:35   #15
Batesmotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcochran View Post
There are purportedly 4,000,000 vacant apartments in Bejing as the real estate investment has tanked.
Tip of the iceberg. They built a false economy based on construction. There are entire cities with universities, power plants, hospitals, air fields and no people. Just built to boost the economy by paying workers. House of cards that is about to collapse.
Old 06-28-2013, 15:29   #16
Brian Lee
Drop those nuts

Over the past 35 years I've noticed that every time we go through a period of advertisers trying real hard to sell people on investing in gold, it's usually followed by a sudden crash in the price that takes a few years to recover.
Brian Lee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:22   #17
pugman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batesmotel View Post
Tip of the iceberg. They built a false economy based on construction. There are entire cities with universities, power plants, hospitals, air fields and no people. Just built to boost the economy by paying workers. House of cards that is about to collapse.
+1

Remember it was not that long ago China was building 8 cities the size of Manhatten every year.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:53   #18
Aceman

Precious metals will ultimately NOT collapse. I think in the long run, Silver is even better than gold. PAper, particularly US paper, on the other hand - not looking so good long term.

So a down is a good buy time.

I also think you need to keep it balanced (whatever balance is for you).
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:38   #19
Haldor
Retired EE

Near term forecast is for gold to drop to $1000. I am going in big when it does (25% of liquid assets).

In general, investors are like a herd of nervous cattle at night. Bolt of lightning (hint that the fed might back off pumping money into the economy) and everybody stampedes off a cliff.

I am not into PM for short term gain, but rather to protect my assets from significant loss (hyper-inflation, currency devaluation). Ask people in Argentina if they wish they had put their money in Gold before things fell apart.
Guys! Guys! He's down! Stop kicking him! If he shows up on another thread, Tasers are indicated, but for now, let him slink off into the shadows to lick his wounds and ponder how deeply cool and misunderstood he is!
Hoot nred Mrs. Vr.
Haldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:56   #20
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldor View Post
Near term forecast is for gold to drop to $1000. I am going in big when it does (25% of liquid assets).

In general, investors are like a herd of nervous cattle at night. Bolt of lightning (hint that the fed might back off pumping money into the economy) and everybody stampedes off a cliff.

I am not into PM for short term gain, but rather to protect my assets from significant loss (hyper-inflation, currency devaluation). Ask people in Argentina if they wish they had put their money in Gold before things fell apart.
If you can find it. The price has gone down but the demand for physical, hold in your hand, PM's has not.
Ruble Noon is offline   Reply With Quote