Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-05-2013, 13:28   #1
Arnold Kuhl

Federal HST/.45ACP

Apologies in advance if this topic has already been discussed.
What are y'all's opinions of Federal HST SD/HD in .45ACP?
I was window-shopping, and found this on Ammunition Depot:

Federal .45ACP 230gr. HST ammo:
50-rd. box = $39.97 + 11.54 shipping (FedX ground)
Total for 50 rounds = $51.51.

1. Is this ammo all it's cracked up to be?
2. Is this a good price? I can't find any around here at any of my LGS's.

Thanks,
AK

Last edited by Arnold Kuhl; 07-05-2013 at 17:41..
Arnold Kuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 13:34   #2
dkf

You will want to buy more than 1 box to help reduce the cost with shipping. Price is not awful. It would end up being more if you bought 20rd boxes.

Yes the HST is top notch ammo.

Cheaper here.

http://www.kylesgunshop.com/store.ph...733&pd=3271523

Last edited by dkf; 07-05-2013 at 13:37..
dkf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 14:34   #3
Adamz04

Not tried the .45 HST, but it is what I run in .357sig and 9mm. Only if I could get it in 10mm. It's the absolute best SD ammunition IMO. I agree you should bite the bullet and buy at least 3 boxes, run one box just to be sure and keep and load up the other two
Old 07-05-2013, 14:36   #4
Joshhtn
The eBay Guy

It's all I run in my 45's for SD/HD... Also, all I run in 9mm & 40.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 15:23   #5
unit1069

dkf's suggestion to buy more than one box is a good one. Every HST test in various calibers I've seen demonstrates the bullet design's remarkable expansion consistency, and I'm sure you'll be happy to have that round.

I currently have HST rounds loaded in one of the two self-defense pistols I own, for the record; and I have HST in reserve for the second pistol if ever needed.

Last edited by unit1069; 07-05-2013 at 15:25..
unit1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 16:06   #6
fredj338

It's a good round but really, in 45acp, few bad rounds. $40 for high end SD ammo is not a bad deal at all. You need two boxes min. You'll want to shoot at least each carry mag full to verify functioning.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 22:39   #7
collim1
Shower Time!

I have it loaded up in my HD gun, a P220. I think its one of the best .45 rounds out there, but I also have a few boxes of Gold Dot and would be fine with either one.

That is a little pricey after you include shipping cost. I got some 50rd boxes of 230g standard pressure HST in a local shop for $32.95 each, but that was over a year ago. I should have bought more.
collim1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:01   #8
WinterWizard

The +P version is probably the best load out there, in pretty much every caliber. It seems like the standard pressure version pops up everywhere. I wish Federal knew we all want the +P. Who cares about standard pressure in a hollow point? Screw that.
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:30   #9
swinokur

Some manufacturers don't recommend shooting a lot of +P ammo because it can cause premature wear. Read your manual to find out. I don't shoot enough of it to worry about. I shot 3 mags out of each of my guns to make sure it cycles. It does.I shoot it out of my HK45C and my DW 1911 Heritage with no issues. It's my EDC load.
swinokur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:01   #10
WinterWizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
Some manufacturers don't recommend shooting a lot of +P ammo because it can cause premature wear. Read your manual to find out. I don't shoot enough of it to worry about. I shot 3 mags out of each of my guns to make sure it cycles. It does.I shoot it out of my HK45C and my DW 1911 Heritage with no issues. It's my EDC load.
Any gun that cannot shoot +P is not a gun I want.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:20   #11
3rdgen40
.45 fanatic

Great ammo.It's my carry load in my XDs.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 07-06-2013, 08:50   #12
Ljutic

It tested really well, but might not be the optimal choice if you are running a sub-4" barrel. I really want to love HST 230 grain standard pressure for all barrel lengths, but I think the +P will be necessary for the shorties.

http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2...ain-hst-6.html

Old 07-06-2013, 09:09   #13
barth
six barrels

Shipping for 1 box or a case is often nearly the same.
I never buy single boxes.
Winchester Ranger T-Series, Federal HST and Speer GDHP
are my favored Self Defense rounds.

Last edited by barth; 07-06-2013 at 09:18..
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:44   #14
hotpig
CLM Number 211
IAFF Local 4766

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWizard View Post
The +P version is probably the best load out there, in pretty much every caliber. It seems like the standard pressure version pops up everywhere. I wish Federal knew we all want the +P. Who cares about standard pressure in a hollow point? Screw that.
Actually you are backwards. The mfg will only keep making the +P ammo not because most modern ammo needs it just because there are enough people that still buy it.

I have been selling LE grade ammo since 1997. I order light on the +P ammo since it is a shrinking market share since I started.

However there are some loads like the Gold Dot 124+P and Ranger 127+P+ and the 9BPLE that are still hot selling items.

In 45 ammo my companies sales run about 2-1 on standard pressure vs +P.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:15   #15
hotpig
CLM Number 211
IAFF Local 4766

The guys are right on shipping. There is no such thing as flat rate shipping on UPS or Fed Ex ground shipping.

These shipping companies charge shipping based on weight from the shippers street address to your street address. The first pound costs the most and each additional pound just adds a small amount to the cost. It costs less to ship to a business address than it does to a residential address.

These companies have a lot of add on charges like fuel surcharges, rural delivery, residential delivery, extended service areas, etc. Because these imaginary lines are everyplace it can effect your shipping cost. Just because you and you neighbor ordered the exact same item from the exact same vendor does not mean the shipping will be the same if one of these line cross between you.

Some vendors simplify by charging a flat rate shipping. This is great for the guys that order a lot. Maybe not so great for the small order guy. Say you order one box of 45 and have it delivered to your workplace. The vendor charges you their flat rate as a example say 13.00. He may actually pay UPS 7.95 for your shipping. You buddy likes your new ammo so much he orders ten boxes and pays 13.00 also. The vendor pays UPS 18.05 to ship your buddies ammo. You paid part of his shipment.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:17   #16
fastbolt

Before I use a new hollowpoint load I like to run at least 25-50 rounds of it through each magazine I intended to carry loaded with it. That's after I confirm the magazines are in clean, good condition (including springs still well within good service life).

That can get expensive pretty quickly with ammo prices the way they are at the moment, but I don't want to risk an unexpected mag-related issue with new ammo (since it's really just as much the mags, as well as the gun, we're testing with any new ammo.

You have to decide for yourself if the prices of the HST are worthwhile to you. At pricing available to the public (versus individual LE or agencies), it seems to vary. Even Rem HPJ Golden Sabre and Speer GDHP gets expensive at commercial pricing.

The sale of +P loads seem to be more prevalent among non-LE buyers than among LE/Gov. Dunno if it's the appeal of +P (with its inevitable allure for more MV & ME figures), or just folks who think more muzzle blast equates to more "stopping power".

+P can be harder on guns and shooters. No surprise. I've seen even well maintained pistols suffer accelerated wear & tear (including needing sooner spring replacement and the occasional repair parts), and shooters develop a bit more flinch when using a lot of +P for training & practice.

If the bullet design takes potential reduced velocities realized in shorter barreled guns into account, and the bullets are made without QC issues (dulling cutters & proper notching cuts, etc), then there are some great JHP's being offered in .45 that seem to work well in compact .45's.

I'd not buy just a box of any particular new load and call it a day. I'd get enough for some testing to confirm function ... or I'd stay with what's been confirmed to work in my guns, and which I already have in sufficient quantities.

The grass may look greener on the other side of the fence, but it's still just grass.

Your call.

What are you using now, anyway?
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:33   #17
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember

Federal HST is a relatively new bullet design and the tests I've seen of it put it at or pretty near the top of the heap of defensive JHPs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Short Cut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 14:38   #18
WinterWizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpig View Post
Actually you are backwards. The mfg will only keep making the +P ammo not because most modern ammo needs it just because there are enough people that still buy it.

I have been selling LE grade ammo since 1997. I order light on the +P ammo since it is a shrinking market share since I started.

However there are some loads like the Gold Dot 124+P and Ranger 127+P+ and the 9BPLE that are still hot selling items.

In 45 ammo my companies sales run about 2-1 on standard pressure vs +P.
And yet, all standard pressure .45 in my area sits on the shelf, and when +P comes in, it flies off the shelf. Your personal experience selling ammo is not all-inclusive to the entire .45 acp buying market. Sorry.

You put HST 230gr on the shelf and HST 230gr +P on the shelf, I bet 7 out of 10 people buy the +P.

Last edited by WinterWizard; 07-06-2013 at 22:08..
Old 07-06-2013, 15:52   #19
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Yes, it's a fantastic round and arguably the best modern JHP bullet design going at the moment. The 230 +P HST .45 is my carry load in my HK45 and will be in any other .45 I'd ever decide to carry.
Old 07-06-2013, 15:54   #20
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWizard View Post
And yet, all standard pressure .45 in my area sits on the shelf, and when +P comes in, it flies off the shelf. Your personal experience selling ammo is not all-enclusive to the entire .45 acp buying market. Sorry.

You put HST 230gr on the shelf and HST 230gr +P on the shelf, I bet 7 out of 10 people buy the +P.
After shooting the +P and standard pressure variants side by side, and seeing the chrono results, I've switched completely to +P. In my Sig and HK pistols, the recoil isn't any worse and my testing shows increased expansion, penatration, and energy on target.

For me, the +P load in .45 is a no brainer. My standard pressure ammo is for back up.