Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:10   #1
rustytxrx

Back in the day II

I enjoyed the article Tiro Fijo posted and did not want to step ob the excellent discussion so I posted this......

Every thing said about the 38 special goes 1&1/2 times for the 44 special. 210 gr wad cutter @ 1000fps, 225 gr keit HP swc, 240 gr lfp soft cast. You would be surprised how well they work

Caliber Corner
Old 07-05-2013, 01:33   #2
WinterWizard

I used to have a Taurus .44 special. Wish I still had it.
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:07   #3
Glockbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustytxrx View Post
I enjoyed the article Tiro Fijo posted and did not want to step ob the excellent discussion so I posted this......

Every thing said about the 38 special goes 1&1/2 times for the 44 special. 210 gr wad cutter @ 1000fps, 225 gr keit HP swc, 240 gr lfp soft cast. You would be surprised how well they work

Caliber Corner
Very nice revolver and ammo for it. I don´t doubt it one bit though I never used it.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:09   #4
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Quote:

Caliber Corner
It'll get the job done. Heavy hitter!
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 16:45   #5
Tiro Fijo

I have a S&W 696 "no dash" but to me it is just a tad bit too big for comfortable CCW. I like my CA Bulldog better for carry, however it's a step down in quality.

I have shot a few of these in the S&W:

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=282

And these:

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=271

However, in the Bulldog I carry Corbon DPX. Anyone of these three will do the job IMO.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 20:40   #6
rustytxrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
I have a S&W 696 "no dash" but to me it is just a tad bit too big for comfortable CCW. I like my CA Bulldog better for carry, however it's a step down in quality.

I have shot a few of these in the S&W:

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=282

And these:

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=271

However, in the Bulldog I carry Corbon DPX. Anyone of these three will do the job IMO.

I have used the BB 200 gr wad cutter to pick up a few incidental pigs when working on the ranch. I got an exit wound on almost all of them. The BB wad cutter has more penetration than you think it will
Old 07-05-2013, 20:58   #7
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
...The BB wad cutter has more penetration than you think it will

I never have doubted that at any time. I would carry it in a .44 without worry. However, I think DPX is still better for CCW in .44 Special. Just my 2 cents.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:50   #8
rustytxrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
I never have doubted that at any time. I would carry it in a .44 without worry. However, I think DPX is still better for CCW in .44 Special. Just my 2 cents.
I think you are correct. I examined the wad cutter wound channels carefully. there is just no doubt of the out come of the wound channel but the width of the clotted blood in the wound channel is wider with an expanding bullet. I am not sure that means a faster time to unconsciousness or not but you would think it might.

I never go out with the wad cutter with the intent of hunting pigs. If you look a the width and volume of damaged tissue in the wound channel the no lead copper bullets (like the Barnes) may not penetrate as far but the leave greatest volume of postmortem clotted blood in the wound channel.
Old 07-08-2013, 16:52   #9
Frank V

I am a huge fan of the .44 Special. A 240/260gr .44 bullet traveling at 850fps will penitrate an almost unbelievable distance.
I once tried to catch a .44 245gr SWC 429421 bullet at that velocity in a 30 gallon drum of water to see how it deformed or didn't. It penitrated the 30 gallon drum (about 3' of water) & buried it'self almost 4" into the soil beneath the drum.

Great cartridge & won't kick you to death at those velocities either.