Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:15   #1
ronduke

Sharp Rise in Women’s Deaths From Overdose of Painkillers

More women now die of overdoses from pain pills like OxyContin than from cervical cancer or homicide.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/03/he...Y&ei=5065&_r=0
ronduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:27   #2
Patchman
Florist

Guy or gal, you gotta be so careful with painkillers.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:36   #3
slowgoat

It's a monkey on your back.

NRA Life Member
slowgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 21:02   #4
collim1
Shower Time!

I work in a college town and even in the last 6 years I can see a huge increase in pill poppers. Benzos and narcotics are huge right now, and most of the kids that take them have no idea how addictive or dangerous they are, or that possession of them is a felony.

"Its just medicine dude"
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 22:22   #5
dano1427

I broke my thumb, last year. First thing offered was Vicodin, Oxycontin, etc, all in the name of "pain management."

I declined all that crap. Advil was fine, and guess what? It hurt, but, sometimes, stuff hurts.

The idea of Pain Management has created a whole new class of dopers and addicts, and the Doctors who continually prescribe this crap should shoulder part of the blame.
dano1427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 22:41   #6
Lady Glock

Send a message via ICQ to Lady Glock
I praise God there are such medicines. After my back surgery, my pain is unbearable. Doc says I have permanent nerve damage at 2 different areas in my back, and he believes I have an extreme buildup of scar tissue at the surgery site. I walk with a limp and can't walk without a cane now for fear of falling again. I get 4 pain pills a day...sometimes I have to take 2 just to be able to sleep because of the pain.

Trust in God...Everyone else keep your hands where I can see them!
Lady Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 19:05   #7
mntrpr

Probably 3/4 of my felony drug arrests now are prescription narcotics.
mntrpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 19:29   #8
Patchman
Florist

If only they'd legalize prescription narcotics, people wouldn't commit crimes to purchase them...

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.

Last edited by Patchman; 07-06-2013 at 19:31..
Old 07-06-2013, 19:53   #9
steve1988

One of the first people that I can remember getting discharged from the Army (that I met), was a guy who was addicted to prescription pain pills. I felt sorry for him at first. Then I learned that he would steal pills from people in the barracks recovering from surgeries. Then he stole my sunglasses (I didn't have enough evidence to prove it, unfortunately). Worthless POS.
Thomas Paine: "...arms...discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. ...Horrid mischief would ensue were (the law-abiding) deprived the use of them."
steve1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 21:45   #10
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1988 View Post
One of the first people that I can remember getting discharged from the Army (that I met), was a guy who was addicted to prescription pain pills. I felt sorry for him at first. Then I learned that he would steal pills from people in the barracks recovering from surgeries. Then he stole my sunglasses (I didn't have enough evidence to prove it, unfortunately). Worthless POS.

I came across a guy with a professional job who was a pillhead. His gf was also one. He'd steal some of her stash (and she's probablyy stole from him too). When he went to get more pills from the dealer, he'd get money from her and tell her the pills were (say) $35 each when in fact he was buying them for less. Then he'd pocket the extra pills. He'd also do the same thing with his "friends." Even his parents were starting to realize something was wrong.

Last edited by Patchman; 07-07-2013 at 00:02..
Old 07-07-2013, 07:09   #11
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.

Not a shock. Where I live now, synthetic opioid overdose (mostly oxycodone), is the leading cause of accidental death, even above traffic accidents.

It's a pandemic here.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:27   #12
txleapd
Hook 'Em Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post
If only they'd legalize prescription narcotics, people wouldn't commit crimes to purchase them...
A really good point that proponents of drug legalization ignore.

I had to have surgery a few years ago and while I was hospitalized they gave me Dilaudid for pain management. For those not familiar, it's a hardcore opiate derivative. Each time a nurse gave me a shot, they wrote the time up on a board. Each time I waited until it was long past that time, and I couldn't take the pain anymore before I asked for another.

Finally, one of the nurses asked me why I was doing that to myself. I told her that as a cop, I've seen plenty of people get hooked on pain meds and go down a bad path. She chastised me and basically "ordered" me to ask for another shot before the effects from the last round wore off. She promised that they were staying on top it, and I didn't have to worry about getting addicted for the time I was in the hospital. I put my trust in them, and stopped torturing myself.

That incident left me with a pretty good understanding of how people can get hooked on the euphoric feeling from pain meds. For me, it's a scary feeling, but I can understand it. My heart really goes out to the ones who are experiencing such pain that they would do anything to stop it. The ones that hooked because they started taking pain meds recreationally are complete and total idiots.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
1911 Club #75
Kahr Club #286
Lone Star Glockers #919

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud
txleapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:44   #13
nursetim

Y'all can blame two sources, JCOA and lawyers. JCOA (joint commission on accreditation) mandating Paine scale as the fith vital sign AND pain is what the patient says it is.

If a patient (Pt.) says the pain of a hang nail is 11 put of 10 on a 0-10 scale. So you have to treat it. To add confusion to the equation there is hyperthesia and Allodynia. The first is a stimulus that would normally be very mild, say 1-2 out of 10, like a hangnail, a person with hyperthesia would rate it 12 out of 10 (12/10). With the second, allodynia, a stimulus that nobody would think painful, say the wind current of someone walking past, would cause extreme pain.

The lawyers sue the medical provider that does not adequately treat pain.

The making all drugs OTC would have as one of the effects of putting chlorine in the gene pool. Go to the drug store and pick up 60 norcos, not a problem. The fact that you are addicted to it and it takes 3 times the dose it originally took. Problem is that dose will knock out your respiratory drive and you suffer anoxia, leading to shock (lack of tissue perfusion).

Good luck figuring this one out.
nursetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:56   #14
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursetim View Post

The making all drugs OTC would have as one of the effects of putting chlorine in the gene pool. Go to the drug store and pick up 60 norcos, not a problem. The fact that you are addicted to it and it takes 3 times the dose it originally took. Problem is that dose will knock out your respiratory drive and you suffer anoxia, leading to shock (lack of tissue perfusion).

Good luck figuring this one out.
You're right. Making all pain drugs OTC would make addiction a self correcting problem.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:42   #15
scottydl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Glock View Post
I praise God there are such medicines. After my back surgery, my pain is unbearable. Doc says I have permanent nerve damage at 2 different areas in my back, and he believes I have an extreme buildup of scar tissue at the surgery site. I walk with a limp and can't walk without a cane now for fear of falling again. I get 4 pain pills a day...sometimes I have to take 2 just to be able to sleep because of the pain.
I am sorry to hear about your situation, and also am glad you have at least some relief through painkillers. Unfortunately most pill users do NOT have your issues, and as mentioned doctors will prescribe heavy duty narcotics for the smallest pain complaints. People injest & become dependent on pills unnecessarily, and/or more of them are floating around that get sold on the black market.
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:46   #16
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydl View Post
I am sorry to hear about your situation, and also am glad you have at least some relief through painkillers. Unfortunately most pill users do NOT have your issues, and as mentioned doctors will prescribe heavy duty narcotics for the smallest pain complaints. People injest & become dependent on pills unnecessarily, and/or more of them are floating around that get sold on the black market.
That is the truth. I have chronic arthritis in one of my wrists from an on the job injury that has become worse over time. It hurt a lot at times, and not so much at times. I went to two different doctors to see about having it fixed. Both just wanted to write me prescriptions for synthetic opioid pain relievers. I said, thanks, but no thanks. I'd rather have the pain than start heading down that road.

Last edited by series1811; 07-08-2013 at 10:47..
series1811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:16   #17
missile_man
1BadOvine

Quote:
Y'all can blame two sources, JCOA and lawyers. JCOA (joint commission on accreditation) mandating Paine scale as the fith vital sign AND pain is what the patient says it is.
Hyperbole and a Half Pain Scale:

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.co...-probably.html
Old 07-08-2013, 12:43   #18
Patchman
Florist

Cop Talk

I keep a copy of this at work. If you're not at a 9 or 10 (emotionally or physically) on the scale, don't even think about asking for a day off.

Last edited by Patchman; 07-08-2013 at 12:47..
Old 07-08-2013, 18:22   #19
nursetim

I hate the pain scale. It means nothing anymore. "Oh, it's 8/10 and I'm allergic to Tylenol, ibuprofen, tramadol, vicodin, percocet, stadol, and valium. The only thing that helps my pain is dilaudid 4mg and phenergan 25 mg." BTW, you give dilaudid to people having kidney stones and intractable cancer pain. These lunkheads want it for a back ache. ACHE! Not pain, hot knife stabbing wrenching the flesh from your bones or flaying the skin off of you and dousing you with alcohol. No an ache. They took some of grandma's cancer pain medication and it worked well, so that is what I want and if I don't get it I'll call the whatever board on you for not treating my pain.

And you wonder why we Rx so much pain meds. They tell us that just because the have no outwards signs of pain does not mean they are not in pain. I'm not convinced. I want to see blood and gnashing of teeth before I give pain meds in the primary care setting. Luckily I'm in cardiology now and nobody comes in demanding pain meds, just relief and help. That I'm more than happy to give.
nursetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 18:39   #20
Ohio Copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post
Cop Talk

I keep a copy of this at work. If you're not at a 9 or 10 (emotionally or physically) on the scale, don't even think about asking for a day off.
How else am I supposed to go to a BBQ without calling off sick?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."

Last edited by Ohio Copper; 07-08-2013 at 18:40..
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote