Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:04   #1
djdavis75

Open/Concealed Carry in Oklahoma State Parks

I've read the Oklahoma Self Defense Act and Governor Fallin's FAQ on the Carry/Open Carry law in Oklahoma. Both seem to indicate you can carry concealed or open in Oklahoma state parks.

http://www.ok.gov/governor/OpenCarryFAQ.html

My questions is, my local state park, which I go to multiple times per year, has a "No Firearms" sign at it's entrances. It's on a sign with other park regulations, and the sign has been there for a number of years.

So does anyone know exactly what the status is for carry in Oklahoma state parks, even with the "No Firearms" sign.

Thanks,
David
djdavis75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:40   #2
kosamson

If it's a state park or a city park it is legal to carry firearms if you have a permit. You can't carry inside the buildings though. If it's a Corps of Engineers park firearms are prohibited. What is the name of the park?
kosamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:38   #3
kosamson

To clarify my previous response, Oklahoma statute (see Title 21 1277 B) specifically excludes city, county, and state parks, recreation areas, and fairgrounds from the list of prohibited places. It is unlawful for cities, counties, or the state to prohibit permit holders from carrying firearms either openly or concealed in these areas. Most of the buildings are probably off-limits though if you're carrying.

You could still get hassled if they're unaware of the law. My advice is to contact the chief administrator of the park and find out what's going on. Maybe they're just misunderstanding the law. If they're adamant about keeping the signs up after you politely explain the statute, I'd contact the Oklahoma 2nd Amendment Association for help getting the signs down.

However, if this is a Corps of Engineers park, it's regulated by federal law and firearms are generally prohibited.
kosamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 19:46   #4
djdavis75

I had also posted over on opencarry.org and had several responses there. It's Beavers Bend State Park located at Broken Bow Lake. Someone from OKOCA saw my post over there and contacted the park. They said they lease the land from the ACoE, but since it is a state park, open/concealed carry by permit holders is allowed there. Otherwise firearms are prohibited per the signs, but the signs do NOT apply to persons with a Handgun License.

Everything you said seems spot on with everything I'm being told over there on opencarry.org. I guess it's best to call ahead if it could possibly be on ACoE land.

Thanks for your reply.

Last edited by djdavis75; 07-10-2013 at 19:48..
Old 07-10-2013, 21:46   #5
unit1069

Quote:
Beavers Bend State Park located at Broken Bow Lake
I've camped there. I used to travel between Austin, TX, and Kansas City, MO and loved driving through eastern Oklahoma. The Talimena Trail being one of my favorite scenic drives ever, and I've traveled all over America.

Winding Stair Mountain, Queen Wilhamena State Park, Poteau, ... it's a beautiful and still undiscovered natural area traversing Indian Country. You got to love Oklahoma, the reddest of all red states.

Last edited by unit1069; 07-10-2013 at 21:47..
unit1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 21:53   #6
djdavis75

It's a beautiful area, many people don't realize Oklahoma has areas where there are forest, mountains, and lakes. I guess it's not the typical Oklahoma landscape most imagine or have seen.

Tags
oklahoma state parks