SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:59   #201
Red Stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
One thing you guys need to understand is that just by not living in an HOA doesnt mean you wont have people bothering you about what you do.

I had a run-in my my neighbor and it was the police/town that got involved.

The town where I live has an ordinance in the code preventing driveways more than 24 feet wide where they touch the street. This was an old ordinance and then the new houses like ours came in. The town allowed for 30 feet wide driveways (where the driveway touches the street) with a variance and showing that the storm drains could handle the run off. We have very big lots and many people have found the three and three and half car garages too small. They have built additional garages.

Here is how my problems all started. The original person who bought the house next to mine wanted to store his pop-up camper behind the fence (this is allowed per the HOA). He wanted a straight shot to backup. As in other houses, the town said absolutely no driveways more than 30 feet wide where it touches the street so he had to make his driveway different. Driveways are allowed to be "t" off the original driveway but cant be more then 30 feet wide where they touch the street. So the original owner built a driveway that t-ed off the original driveway.

Well, the original owner sold after a couple of years and the new guy moved in. He decided to build a 6 car garage in the back and use the driveway. Well, he wanted to put his boat and trailer in the garage and couldnt make the corner easily. So, he just filled in the section and made the driveway about 60 feet wide where it touched the street. I let this go. Not really that big of a deal.

Until he became an ass-hat. I have a pickup that sits outside behind the third bay of my garage. Occasionally, I actually drive the car in the third bay. We are talking about maybe move it out 10 days a year at most. So, I moved my truck into the street and parked it in front of this extended (unpermitted) driveway while I took my car out (the other neighbors had parked on the other side of my house and I how my house is laid out on a cul-de-sac these are the only two places to park near my house on the street).

Well, exactly when I was out, the neighbor "needed" to move his boat. He came to my house and yelled at my wife to move my truck. She said she couldnt find the keys (they were in my pocket because I just put them in my pocket when I moved the truck and went to the garage to take my car out..it was convenient because after the car was put back in the garage I move the truck into the driveway) He decided to call the police since my wife didnt (couldnt) move the truck (had he had a better attitude she probably would have looked harder for the spare sets of keys, but I keep extra car keys in the safe..only have one set out). They issued me a ticket for parking in front of a driveway. This REALLY pissed me off (all $15 of it). Well, I fought the ticket. My defense: I was not blocking a driveway because the driveway was not permitted and couldnt be that wide. The town pulled all the permits and zoning. What did they find? There was a non-permitted driveway added that violated town code. I was not parked in an area that was legally designated as a driveway entrance to the street. My ticket was dismissed.

Oh, and then with some digging through documents, the original owner never had the proper inspections done and the entire driveway was not to code. The new guy was given 30 days to remove the entire driveway. After that he could apply for a permit to have it put in correctly. So, the end result of him wanting to be a prick, he probably spent $6k-8k on concrete work to rip it out and do it right, my $15 ticket was dismissed, and he has a 30 foot wide driveway where it touches the street and that he has to make a turn to back his crap into.

Until he was a prick, I let him use just like he wanted. As soon as he called the police, everything went downhill.

So this crap isnt limited to HOAs.

Karma.... awesome. I find that story very amusing.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:24   #202
Jack Ryan
Get off my lawn

Quote:
One thing you guys need to understand is that just by not living in an HOA doesnt mean you wont have people bothering you about what you do.

The town where I live has an ordinance in the code preventing driveways more than 24 feet wide where they touch the street. This was an old ordinance and then the new houses like ours came in. The town allowed for 30 feet wide driveways (where the driveway touches the street) with a variance and showing that the storm drains could handle the run off. We have very big lots and many people have found the three and three and half car garages too small. They have built additional garages.

Here is how my problems all started. The original person who bought the house next to mine wanted to store his pop-up camper behind the fence (this is allowed per the HOA). He wanted a straight shot to backup. As in other houses, the town said absolutely no driveways more than 30 feet wide where it touches the street so he had to make his driveway different. Driveways are allowed to be "t" off the original driveway but cant be more then 30 feet wide where they touch the street. So the original owner built a driveway that t-ed off the original driveway.

Well, the original owner sold after a couple of years and the new guy moved in. He decided to build a 6 car garage in the back and use the driveway. Well, he wanted to put his boat and trailer in the garage and couldnt make the corner easily. So, he just filled in the section and made the driveway about 60 feet wide where it touched the street. I let this go. Not really that big of a deal.

Until he became an ass-hat. I have a pickup that sits outside behind the third bay of my garage. Occasionally, I actually drive the car in the third bay. We are talking about maybe move it out 10 days a year at most. So, I moved my truck into the street and parked it in front of this extended (unpermitted) driveway while I took my car out (the other neighbors had parked on the other side of my house and I how my house is laid out on a cul-de-sac these are the only two places to park near my house on the street).

Well, exactly when I was out, the neighbor "needed" to move his boat. He came to my house and yelled at my wife to move my truck. She said she couldnt find the keys (they were in my pocket because I just put them in my pocket when I moved the truck and went to the garage to take my car out..it was convenient because after the car was put back in the garage I move the truck into the driveway) He decided to call the police since my wife didnt (couldnt) move the truck (had he had a better attitude she probably would have looked harder for the spare sets of keys, but I keep extra car keys in the safe..only have one set out). They issued me a ticket for parking in front of a driveway. This REALLY pissed me off (all $15 of it). Well, I fought the ticket. My defense: I was not blocking a driveway because the driveway was not permitted and couldnt be that wide. The town pulled all the permits and zoning. What did they find? There was a non-permitted driveway added that violated town code. I was not parked in an area that was legally designated as a driveway entrance to the street. My ticket was dismissed.

Oh, and then with some digging through documents, the original owner never had the proper inspections done and the entire driveway was not to code. The new guy was given 30 days to remove the entire driveway. After that he could apply for a permit to have it put in correctly. So, the end result of him wanting to be a prick, he probably spent $6k-8k on concrete work to rip it out and do it right, my $15 ticket was dismissed, and he has a 30 foot wide driveway where it touches the street and that he has to make a turn to back his crap into.

Until he was a prick, I let him use just like he wanted. As soon as he called the police, everything went downhill.

So this crap isnt limited to HOAs.

ROTFLMAO! QFT! It's good to KNOW what you are talking about, isn't it.
Jack Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:25   #203
Cubdriver

Quote:

<My edit - big snip for brevity>

Beautiful! I love it when someone gets hoist by their own petard.

-Pat