GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:55   #176
soflasmg

I don't mind it. It keeps people from having their yards piled high with 1992 Camaros and such.

The only problem is that I get letters from them when I wear my man thong to cut the grass (6'3" 250 pounds of splendor)
soflasmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:28   #177
jason10mm
NRA-GOA-TSRA

I just joined my HOA, probably be President next year. This way I get to mold the neighborhood how I see fit. Why complain about them, just join them and make them work for you! Gonna do the same thing with my kids PTA, scout troop, etc. With the abyssmal participation rate of most of the people these organisations govern just one or two "right minded" folks can really have an impact.
jason10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:00   #178
PuroMexicano
VIVA MEXICO !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
I know the word. What is your point?
That what you said is UTOPIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikerret View Post
I once didn't kill a mountain lion by hand when it tried to stare me down...once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RioKid View Post
Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.:rofl::rofl:
PuroMexicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:38   #179
Dukeboy01
Pretty Ladies!

We built our current house in a subdivision with deed restrictions, which aren't too bad. There wasn't a HOA. One was started about four years after we moved in. Membership in the HOA was going to be mandatory for new owners, but those of us who were in before the HOA was established were exempt unless we joined voluntarily. I refused to join out of principle.

The first couple of years the new HOA was really active, with monthly meetings and neighborhood meet and greets, all of which I avoided like the plague. It's apparently died out now. I don't know if they even still collect dues or not.

I hope to only have to move one more time and I'll be looking for a spot of land free from any deed restrictions and HOAs to build my compound. Most subdivisions won't let you build watch towers 10 stories tall, plus I intend to accumulate a large collection of junk cars when I retire.
Old 07-10-2013, 13:56   #180
Red Stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason10mm View Post
I just joined my HOA, probably be President next year. This way I get to mold the neighborhood how I see fit. Why complain about them, just join them and make them work for you! Gonna do the same thing with my kids PTA, scout troop, etc. With the abyssmal participation rate of most of the people these organisations govern just one or two "right minded" folks can really have an impact.

"Mold the neighborhood how I see fit". Intresting. Is that the duties of an HOA board? I don't believe it is. Board members are in place to represent the home owners and act with their best interest in mind.

This is the problem I see with HOAs. A large majority of board members forget they are representing a large group. They just do things " how they see fit".
Old 07-10-2013, 14:10   #181
wizzi01

Send a message via ICQ to wizzi01 Send a message via AIM to wizzi01
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason10mm View Post
People like you are why there is so much hate for hoas. You are supposed to do what is best for the area not mold it how you see fit.
wizzi01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 15:02   #182
vart

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWoods View Post
If you don't like HOAs, then just go cry to your government when your neighbor lets the grass grow for a year, and force them against their will to do what you want. Cite the "social contract" that they never signed too while you're at it you pinko bastards.

I have a rocky embankment on one side of my house that is visible from the street, but only if you approach it from the North. I leave my house and head South.

Last year, apparently the weeds sprouted up through the rocks after the monsoons and I didn't notice. I got a letter from the city advising me to cut the weeds down within 2 weeks or I would face a fine.

I walked around to that side of the house and couldn't believe how high they got in a matter of a couple of weeks.

Cut them down that weekend and got a thank you letter from the city...

"That's a big bite of crap sandwich, my friend..."

Rabbi - "Anyways, that is a beautiful car. Bill probably already farted in it."
vart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 15:48   #183
Jack23
I. B. Glockin'

There isn't one in my neighborhood.

I am totally against them

Never had a dispute with one because I never have nor will I ever have one

Any regulation is PROBABLY fair game. I'm sure some of these wind up in court.
?
I'm sure that SOME of them have their benifits but mostly I think it's just the same old story of one group of people telling another what they can do with their own property.

I hear many nightmare stories about the abuses some HOAs commit to home owners. It gets me hot. But I have no sympathy for those that get caught up in these problems. As far as I'm concerned it's a self inflicted wound. Everyone knows the potential for conflict in areas where they exist. I would not ever under ANY circumstance ever even consider owning a home where any HOA had there hooks into the property owners.

Joining a HOA is tantamount to paying other people to tell you what you can and can not do to your own property. They don't like the color of your roof or your landscaping etc that can legally FORCE you to comform to what ever it is that THEY think you should have. Ain't happenin' here and you can carve that in stone.
G-17, G-23, G-21, G-36, Ruger blackhawk, ss, Ruger 10/22, Ruger Mark II, Ruger SP101, British Webley MKI .455, Kel-Tec P32, S&W top break .38, S&W 24-3 .44spl N frame Colt 1903 .32, Heritage .22 Combo, Colt AR-15, LE6920.
Jack23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 15:59   #184
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjk5 View Post
these threads are always great and serve to illustrate many useful points:

shows you who has pride of ownership and who does not

shows you who has ZERO idea of how contract/Real Estate law works

shows you who you DON'T want to live next to

shows you that 90% of the people who "hate HOAs" have never even lived in an HOA governed community

shows how little most people know about zoning and existing city ordinances

HOAs serve to shield most 'hoods from the lowest common denominator. "That guy" who has a home and yard in a shambles. Most of them have relatively lenient guidelines, but all of them tell you what they are before you buy.

I have been in real estate and mortgage for almost 20 years, I can count on one hand the number of clients that have had ANY issues with an HOA, and half of those were "that guy".
That's pretty much it right there.
Old 07-11-2013, 16:54   #185
glockski

I do not live in an hoa and with all the rat infested properties the bubonic plague is spreading rapidly people are dieing every day and whats even worse some people painted their house pink the horror!! the horror!! (What would John Mellancamp think Ain't that America little pink houses for you and me.)
But at least I do not live in an hoa where every house looks the same, I would feel like I am surrounded by mindless zombies. I am able to park a Pickup truck in my driveway overnight and put in a flag pole to fly Old Glory. Now ain't that America.

Last edited by glockski; 07-11-2013 at 17:02..
glockski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 17:05   #186
jknight8907

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockski View Post
I do not live in an hoa and with all the rat infested properties the bubonic plague is spreading rapidly people are dieing every day and whats even worse some people painted their house pink the horror!! the horror!! (What would John Mellancamp think Ain't that America little pink houses for you and me.)
But at least I do not live in an hoa where every house looks the same, I would feel like I am surrounded by mindless zombies. I am able to park a Pickup truck in my driveway overnight and put in a flag pole to fly Old Glory. Now ain't that America.
I have never seen or heard of a HOA that requires houses to be the same. They have rules concerning certain colors and modifications, but not like you proclaim. And I park my pickup in my HOA-governed driveway every night.

Sent via teletype
jknight8907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 17:10   #187
glockski

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknight8907 View Post
I have never seen or heard of a HOA that requires houses to be the same. They have rules concerning certain colors and modifications, but not like you proclaim. And I park my pickup in my HOA-governed driveway every night.

Sent via teletype
Come down to South Florida
Old 07-11-2013, 17:13   #188
glockski

Or maybe it will come to you. Just don't get a dog over 50 lbs.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:13   #189
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
Quote:

Sent via teletype
I've not seen them that make houses look exactly alike but the same colors. There is a new subdivision being built down the road from me. Every single house has white siding, black roofs and red doors and trim. They may as well all be the same house.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:17   #190
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:

Sent via teletype
My pickup stays in the driveway 365 days a year. I rarely even gets driven. Maybe twice a month if that.
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:52   #191
ArtyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainstormy View Post
I've not seen them that make houses look exactly alike but the same colors. There is a new subdivision being built down the road from me. Every single house has white siding, black roofs and red doors and trim. They may as well all be the same house.
Is that the builder doing that or is the HOA requiring that? Sounds like a builder got a great deal on white siding and red doors, and trim. But probably not so great a deal that they'll pass those savings on to the buyer.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:55   #192
jknight8907

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainstormy View Post
I've seen that too, but its always been the builder doing low cost mass-production, not an HOA.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:35   #193
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
In that particular subdivision its the HOA. I only know that because my buddy works for the builder.

They have a list of about 6 different floor plans, but the exteriors of houses must have the same colors. I think they choose Red because it's the Buckeye's main color. It's a pretty widely used color in Columbus. Technically its "Scarlet" but whatever.

I'm not particularly complaining about that place. Doesn't matter to me I don't live there. I'm just saying that it does happen.
Old 07-12-2013, 13:28   #194
SFCSMITH(RET)

Quote:

Sent via teletype
Depends on the HOA.. they are not all the same. A friend lives in one where you may not park in the driveway. ALL vehicles must be in the garage. and for lack of any other way to put it, he can only have 4 guests over.. lol, that's all the cars/trucks that can fit on his driveway, his side of the sidewalk. NO parking on the ROW. they will and do tow.
Old 07-12-2013, 13:33   #195
jknight8907

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCSMITH(RET) View Post
Depends on the HOA.. they are not all the same. A friend lives in one where you may not park in the driveway. ALL vehicles must be in the garage. and for lack of any other way to put it, he can only have 4 guests over.. lol, that's all the cars/trucks that can fit on his driveway, his side of the sidewalk. NO parking on the ROW. they will and do tow.
That's my point. People stomp their feet and proclaim things that involve words like "never", "always", "mindless zombies", etc. Some may be insanely restrictive, but that doesn't mean every HOA is like that. Many, if not most, are just fine.
Old 07-12-2013, 13:45   #196
G29SF

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCSMITH(RET) View Post

In cases like this, I assume the streets are private property owned and maintained by the HOA? The HOA cannot enforce anything on public property.

The subdivision I recently left had an HOA and they hated the fact that they could not enforce any "parking issues" on the street. (Our streets were public/city property.) The cops don't care about HOAs... that is a civil matter between the HOA and the homeowner. If you drove through the neighborhood, you would see empty driveways with cars parked on the street.
G32 Gen4
G29SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 14:00   #197
W4CNG

Send a message via AIM to W4CNG
I have lived in an HOA community for the last 14 years. Never had an issue with them. We have had two large court cases which the HOA won using one of the largest law firms in town and Looser Pays. We have security cameras at the entrance and at the Pool and Tennis courts. We have had a couple of DUI's come into the neighborhood and do damage. The TAG camera at the exit side of the entrance has provided the needed info for that issue, especially since both of them were at the first and second house on the street which were in view of the cameras. Yes, I have a positive view of my HOA.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
W4CNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:39   #198
officer196

Don't live in one and never have. After reading this thread though one thing is clear.....a lot of you guys live near people with abandoned school buses and cars on blocks.

There are a lot of non HOA neighborhoods around here and I've yet to drive through and see these massive school bus and vehicle on block graveyards so many have spoken of.

My Photostream http://www.flickr.com/photos/officer196/
officer196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:55   #199
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by G29SF View Post
In cases like this, I assume the streets are private property owned and maintained by the HOA? The HOA cannot enforce anything on public property.

The subdivision I recently left had an HOA and they hated the fact that they could not enforce any "parking issues" on the street. (Our streets were public/city property.) The cops don't care about HOAs... that is a civil matter between the HOA and the homeowner. If you drove through the neighborhood, you would see empty driveways with cars parked on the street.
The HOA I live in mostly the same. The streets are public streets owned/maintained by the town. The HOA cannot enforce their parking rules on the street; the police enforce town ordinances about parking.
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:19   #200
DanaT
Pharaoh

One thing you guys need to understand is that just by not living in an HOA doesnt mean you wont have people bothering you about what you do.

I had a run-in my my neighbor and it was the police/town that got involved.

The town where I live has an ordinance in the code preventing driveways more than 24 feet wide where they touch the street. This was an old ordinance and then the new houses like ours came in. The town allowed for 30 feet wide driveways (where the driveway touches the street) with a variance and showing that the storm drains could handle the run off. We have very big lots and many people have found the three and three and half car garages too small. They have built additional garages.

Here is how my problems all started. The original person who bought the house next to mine wanted to store his pop-up camper behind the fence (this is allowed per the HOA). He wanted a straight shot to backup. As in other houses, the town said absolutely no driveways more than 30 feet wide where it touches the street so he had to make his driveway different. Driveways are allowed to be "t" off the original driveway but cant be more then 30 feet wide where they touch the street. So the original owner built a driveway that t-ed off the original driveway.

Well, the original owner sold after a couple of years and the new guy moved in. He decided to build a 6 car garage in the back and use the driveway. Well, he wanted to put his boat and trailer in the garage and couldnt make the corner easily. So, he just filled in the section and made the driveway about 60 feet wide where it touched the street. I let this go. Not really that big of a deal.

Until he became an ass-hat. I have a pickup that sits outside behind the third bay of my garage. Occasionally, I actually drive the car in the third bay. We are talking about maybe move it out 10 days a year at most. So, I moved my truck into the street and parked it in front of this extended (unpermitted) driveway while I took my car out (the other neighbors had parked on the other side of my house and I how my house is laid out on a cul-de-sac these are the only two places to park near my house on the street).

Well, exactly when I was out, the neighbor "needed" to move his boat. He came to my house and yelled at my wife to move my truck. She said she couldnt find the keys (they were in my pocket because I just put them in my pocket when I moved the truck and went to the garage to take my car out..it was convenient because after the car was put back in the garage I move the truck into the driveway) He decided to call the police since my wife didnt (couldnt) move the truck (had he had a better attitude she probably would have looked harder for the spare sets of keys, but I keep extra car keys in the safe..only have one set out). They issued me a ticket for parking in front of a driveway. This REALLY pissed me off (all $15 of it). Well, I fought the ticket. My defense: I was not blocking a driveway because the driveway was not permitted and couldnt be that wide. The town pulled all the permits and zoning. What did they find? There was a non-permitted driveway added that violated town code. I was not parked in an area that was legally designated as a driveway entrance to the street. My ticket was dismissed.

Oh, and then with some digging through documents, the original owner never had the proper inspections done and the entire driveway was not to code. The new guy was given 30 days to remove the entire driveway. After that he could apply for a permit to have it put in correctly. So, the end result of him wanting to be a prick, he probably spent $6k-8k on concrete work to rip it out and do it right, my $15 ticket was dismissed, and he has a 30 foot wide driveway where it touches the street and that he has to make a turn to back his crap into.

Until he was a prick, I let him use just like he wanted. As soon as he called the police, everything went downhill.

So this crap isnt limited to HOAs.
2x4=8, not 14.