Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:32   #151
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainstormy View Post
I just got married last month. I was previously living in an apartment. I was going to buy a house last year but decided to wait until after the wedding because we'll need to sell her condo first so we don't have to worry about two mortgages.

Her condo association is crazy, and I hate them.

First of all the fee is insane. The monthly mortgage in this small 2 bedroom condo is only $350 per month. The association fee is $260 per month.

Maybe in my older age I wouldn't mind living in a place like this. It is nicely landscaped, everything looks good. They have a community Olympic size pool and a fairly nice gym as well.

I can't stand it. I have to fill out a form to do anything. I wanted to change the door knocker on the front door. Not even the style, just the name engraved on it. I had to fill out a form and wait two weeks to be told no.

I'm not allowed to change the door knocker because nobody with my last name is on the mortgage. We haven't had time to put me on it and updated her name with the bank yet.

Funny thing is, that the last name on the knocker isn't my wife's maiden name either. It's the last name of the owner she bought the place from.

Another funny story, is that according to their rules I'm not allowed to work from home. They have no way to know if I am or not, but I'm not allowed to work from home. I'm going to keep doing it though, I haven't seen the inside of a cubical since 2006 and I'm not going back.

FWIW, my wife want's out of here too. She bought the place while going to law school in 2006 with intentions to sell when she graduated. But with all the housing stuff she still about 20K underwater in the place. We are probably going to end up renting it out.
Will they let you rent the place out?

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.
HKLovingIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:52   #152
Glock30Eric
.45 ACP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKLovingIT View Post
LOL! Good question!
Glock30Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:34   #153
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKLovingIT View Post
Yea, there is a form for that too. Actually probably a good half of the place is populated with renters and not the actual owners.

Course, before you can start renting it out there is an approval process because it's concerned commercial at that point.

Rather or not they would actually approve it I suppose is another story but they seem to approve a lot of people to do it.

That's exactly why I hate these places. Having to get approval to do anything and everything with your private property.
Old 07-08-2013, 13:03   #154
Jack Ryan
Get off my lawn

Trash is trash no matter how much money they have and trash usually rents. Not everyone who rents is trash but trash can almost NEVER put together the money to own until the government takes some from you and gives it to them so they can buy next to you and return the favor by driving down the value of, most likely, your largest investment. The more the government takes from you and gives to them just allows them to trash up a more upscale neighborhood.

What economics can't do for you, an HOA can.

Go on! On down the road! Be free little bird! Be FREE over there some where.

Last edited by Jack Ryan; 07-08-2013 at 13:04..
Jack Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 14:27   #155
SFCSMITH(RET)

I wouldn't live in one. But, I wouldn't live in a neighborhood either. I am in the country, on my property. hell you can't even see my house from the road. I keep the place neat, but on at least one occasion over the last couple decades I have had a Mustang or something up on stands for a couple days while rebuilding an axle or something.. I don't need anyone telling me I can't. I put in a parking pad, next to the house for my... RV. Didn't need anyone's permission and give a rat's 4$$ about what anyone else thinks. Don't like the big shiney silver tube? look away or go home.

Buddy lives in one in town, total jerks. We went for a two day motorcycle ride with several friends, and the start/finish point was his house, 7am on a Saturday morning and the HOA president was beating on his door about all those motorcycles "parked" in his driveway, which is not allowed. In fact NO VEHICLE is allowed to be outside in this neighborhood. EVER. So this guy is loosing his mind about the trashy motorcycles in the drive.. 2 Ducati's, 3 Guzzi's, couple BMW's, etc.. and starts talking about issuing a summons for a HOA hearing to discuss problems with this homeowner.. lol.

That buddy has now bought 100 acres in the country and is so happy he can't stand it, when the new house and barns are done, he is outy there..
Old 07-08-2013, 14:41   #156
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Ryan View Post
Trash is trash no matter how much money they have and trash usually rents. Not everyone who rents is trash but trash can almost NEVER put together the money to own until the government takes some from you and gives it to them so they can buy next to you and return the favor by driving down the value of, most likely, your largest investment. The more the government takes from you and gives to them just allows them to trash up a more upscale neighborhood.

What economics can't do for you, an HOA can.

Go on! On down the road! Be free little bird! Be FREE over there some where.
So the solution to a problem caused by to much government is to make a HOA to govern the way you live?
Old 07-08-2013, 14:45   #157
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
So the solution to a problem caused by to much government is to make a HOA to govern the way you live?
An HOA is not a form of government, per se. Typically, an HOA is a corporation that is acting in its own best rational self-interest as decided upon by a majority of its members. If you don't like what your HOA is doing then get involved and try to change it. If enough of your neighbors agree with your position then you will succeed.
CavDoc: "If you have to pretend that a person with a different opinion has an opinion other than his own in order to score points in an argument, you've forfeited any points that you pretended to have."
CavDoc: "You consider yourself as non-religious, and I consider you a religious zealot."

JBnTX: "Freedom of religion doesn't mean you can worship any God, anyway you see fit or not even worship any God if you so choose. [...] Christianity should be the only religion protected under the constitution, and congress shall make no law restricting its practice."

Last edited by Geko45; 07-08-2013 at 14:46..
Geko45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 15:42   #158
WarCry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
An HOA is not a form of government, per se. Typically, an HOA is a corporation that is acting in its own best rational self-interest as decided upon by a majority of its members. If you don't like what your HOA is doing then get involved and try to change it. If enough of your neighbors agree with your position then you will succeed.
The HOA is voluntary governance. To call it anything else is just making excuses.

Yes, no one has to live under one if they prefer not to, but just because you choose to submit to them as a governing body doesn't make them LESS of a governing body. Governing bodies' jobs is government.

"Government" here doesn't mean federal, state, county, or municipality as a public entity, but it is still a form of government.
Old 07-08-2013, 15:49   #159
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

So, can you buy a house in an HOA sudivision without joining the HOA?
gwalchmai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 15:49   #160
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarCry View Post
"Government" here doesn't mean federal, state, county, or municipality as a public entity, but it is still a form of government.
If you don't like how the board of directors is running IBM then don't buy any IBM stock (or buy a whole hell of a lot for a controlling interest). Same here, if you don't like how Nazi Hills HOA is running the subdivision then don't buy there. If you didn't know until after you purchased then it's your own fault for not investigating more thoroughly beforehand.
CavDoc: "If you have to pretend that a person with a different opinion has an opinion other than his own in order to score points in an argument, you've forfeited any points that you pretended to have."
CavDoc: "You consider yourself as non-religious, and I consider you a religious zealot."

JBnTX: "Freedom of religion doesn't mean you can worship any God, anyway you see fit or not even worship any God if you so choose. [...] Christianity should be the only religion protected under the constitution, and congress shall make no law restricting its practice."

Last edited by Geko45; 07-08-2013 at 15:50..
Old 07-08-2013, 15:53   #161
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalchmai View Post
So, can you buy a house in an HOA sudivision without joining the HOA?
Of course you can buy one, the problem is that no one currently in the HOA is allowed to sell to you unless you consent to joining (because they willingly agreed to that restriction when they first bought there).

Old 07-08-2013, 15:55   #162
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

Quote:
Of course you can buy one, the problem is that no one currently in the HOA is allowed to sell to you unless you consent to joining (because they willingly agreed to that restriction when they first bought there).
So what happens if they sell it to me anyway? Old owner moves away, they can't catch him. Can't fine me because I'm not a member. Can they attach a lien?
Old 07-08-2013, 15:55   #163
gjk5
Pinche Gringo

these threads are always great and serve to illustrate many useful points:

shows you who has pride of ownership and who does not

shows you who has ZERO idea of how contract/Real Estate law works

shows you who you DON'T want to live next to

shows you that 90% of the people who "hate HOAs" have never even lived in an HOA governed community

shows how little most people know about zoning and existing city ordinances

HOAs serve to shield most 'hoods from the lowest common denominator. "That guy" who has a home and yard in a shambles. Most of them have relatively lenient guidelines, but all of them tell you what they are before you buy.

I have been in real estate and mortgage for almost 20 years, I can count on one hand the number of clients that have had ANY issues with an HOA, and half of those were "that guy".
gjk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 15:56   #164
gjk5
Pinche Gringo

Quote:
So what happens if they sell it to me anyway? Old owner moves away, they can't catch him. Can't fine me because I'm not a member. Can they attach a lien?
not legally possible, at least in the states I have done business in.
Old 07-08-2013, 15:58   #165
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjk5 View Post
not legally possible, at least in the states I have done business in.
He can't sell it or they can't attach a lien?
Old 07-08-2013, 15:59   #166
czsmithGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowHead View Post
People who hate HOAs are the same ilk that buy next to an airport then complain about the noise. HH
The ones who complain loudest are often the ones who have no time to get directly involved in HOA. As for benefits- after a development has been there for many years an HOA is often the only way to prevent roads in the development from deteriorating to the point of being nearly impassible.

And no, I would prefer to avoid having a rat infested junk yard across from my house.

Last edited by czsmithGT; 07-08-2013 at 16:00..
czsmithGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 16:09   #167
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Quote:
He can't sell it. You would never get past closing. One of those multitude of documents they require you to sign is your agreement to join the HOA. If you decline to sign it then the closing is halted.

Last edited by Geko45; 07-08-2013 at 16:13..
Old 07-08-2013, 16:37   #168
gjk5
Pinche Gringo

Quote:
The HOA "CCR's" are a legal, recorded document usually, I guess the easiest way to put it is to say that selling a home and ignoring the HOA would be about as easy as selling a home and ignoring an easement.
Old 07-08-2013, 18:13   #169
Jack Ryan
Get off my lawn

Quote:
I wouldn't buy a house any where I can see any thing I don't own with out one. It would be stupid to pay for a HOME in a neighborhood of nice homes paying nice home prices only to find out later any hill jack or dope head who can scrounge a few dollars together can change the value of your investment in to that of a home in the middle of motorcycle gangs, salvage yards, and body shops.

I don't ALWAYS have to learn things the hard way but I rarely have to learn the same thing twice.

Every time you ever buy ANYTHING you should be looking at it like you'll have to sell it tomorrow.

I love these guys posting how they just love their home or the place they are looking at, they just hate the HOA or zoning regulations. ROTFL, that the dumbest position ever. Why do you think that neighborhood you LOVE is the way it is? I've seen at least 10 of these people who just hate HOA and zoning over the years move to the country so no one can tell them what to do. They literally landed in hog heaven with their rural 5 acres, then the hog barn went up across the road or at the other end of the field. All of a sudden they are ALL ABOUT ZONING! LOL

If you don't want to live be in an HOA, then don't buy where there is one. If you don't like zoning, then don't cry about later when a turkey farm springs up up wind of ya.

I TOTALLY oppose changing the rules mid game in anything including realestate. If a neighborhood is no HOA it should require 100% support to implement one, change the rules of one, or to eliminate one.

To implement zoning, eliminate zoning or change zoning law should require a 100% affirmation of every land owner affected. One owner, one vote, not just a majority, it should require 100% acceptance by every land owner affected.

Last edited by Jack Ryan; 07-08-2013 at 18:23..
Old 07-08-2013, 18:25   #170
Jack Ryan
Get off my lawn

Quote:
If you don't like how the board of directors is running IBM then don't buy any IBM stock (or buy a whole hell of a lot for a controlling interest). Same here, if you don't like how Nazi Hills HOA is running the subdivision then don't buy there. If you didn't know until after you purchased then it's your own fault for not investigating more thoroughly beforehand.
Exactly.

The Duck Dynasty episode when Jase had a run in with the HOA was hilarious.
Old 07-08-2013, 19:38   #171
Hef
Stop Obammunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarCry View Post
The HOA is voluntary governance. To call it anything else is just making excuses.

Yes, no one has to live under one if they prefer not to, but just because you choose to submit to them as a governing body doesn't make them LESS of a governing body. Governing bodies' jobs is government.

It is voluntary governance. It is incorporated, with it's covenants being not just a set of rules but an actual legal document, empowering the board to fine for delinquency and lien properties for failing to pay fees or fines. It has the legal authority to form or hire a security force, who have constabulary powers within the neighborhood.

As much as I hate it, and refuse to respect their authority, they are still legally empowered to act as they do.
Old 07-08-2013, 20:12   #172
Hef
Stop Obammunism

Quote:
Yes, they can.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:10   #173
platform

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEER View Post
nope. i am adamantly against them, borderline hostile actually.

i'll be damned if i let somebody else dictate what color i paint my home, or what i park in my driveway. you pay my my taxes and make my payments then you can tell me how high my grass can get, until then go **** yourself.
This. Had a dispute. They did not allow motorcycles (not loud, just bought, ). Also they did not let me rent my house to people who had dogs over 20 lib, even though home owners can have those

Basically the HOA represent the perfect case of a slippery slope

Last edited by platform; 07-09-2013 at 02:10..
platform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 23:39   #174
Bow Commander

Regardless of where I live, I will always maintain my home and yard very well. The HOA rules ensure that my neighbors will do the same. The rules don't change how I live, i'm already doing above and beyond what they require because I take pride in it. So for me, I like it. It's basically no dead vehicles sitting in your driveway/yard. Maintain your yard. Don't paint your house an obnoxious color.

My HOA doesn't have dues per year, it is just an agreement signed by any new home owner in the neighborhood.

My well maintained home + surrounded by other well maintained homes= higher property value when I go to sell. This is important to anyone who cares about their investment.

Last edited by Bow Commander; 07-09-2013 at 23:46..
Bow Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 23:55   #175
AWoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny Lingus View Post
HOA=Liberal=Communism.

People think because they choose to live under one, is isn't. But it basically is. You cannot do anything without approval from the state. In areas with higher real estate values, you cannot change the colors of your home without city approval. One township was discussing an ordinance making homeowners scoop their dogs poop in their own back yard, and another dictating when they could leave their garage doors up, and that their garage has to be kept neat. There is already a ordinance that garages cannot face the street.
There's a big difference between voluntary, and forced. For example, if you have sex with someone voluntarily, it tends to be a lot less of a violation of your personal space than when it's forced.

The government, and liberals, and communists want to force you to do whatever strikes their fancy. A HOA is voluntary association and contracts. An HOA is therefore the antithesis of liberalism and communism.

If you don't like HOAs, then just go cry to your government when your neighbor lets the grass grow for a year, and force them against their will to do what you want. Cite the "social contract" that they never signed too while you're at it you pinko bastards.

AWoods is offline   Reply With Quote