SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-07-2013, 16:05   #126
glockski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychman View Post
If you want to live in a neighborhood with an HOA do so, if not then don't, but please don't move into my HOA neighborhood with your junk vehicles, chain link fencing, front yard unmowed with more weeds than grass, peeling paint on your house, large boat parked in your driveway all year, house painted purple, etc. and act surprised when you get legal notices of violations.
I believe grass is a weed. When do you start complaining about fat ugly house wifes being an eye sore
glockski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 16:20   #127
Kevin108
HADOKEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71bill View Post
You pull up to take a look and see - right across the street 2 school buses sitting up on blocks - their seats taken out and stacked up next to the house - a little hard to see because the weeds are so high.
Your story happens in a carefully constructed world with no local ordinances. Here the city will send you a letter if you have a vehicle in the yard that needs a state inspection or or if your grass gets too tall. Ignore that and one day you'll come home and the car will be gone or the grass cut. It wasn't the lawn fairy and the bill will be in the mail.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a
little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
_____- Ben Franklin
Kevin108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 16:51   #128
Jameson4all

HOA's...not my kind of chicken dinner.
Jameson4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 17:48   #129
Jack Ryan
Get off my lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71bill View Post
A few homeowners (me included) do minor auto repairs - no big deal - doing a frame off restoration - in the driveway would be frowned on.

Most people that live in a residential area don't want junk cars in plain view.
Lots of people do this, many of them are about a 2 week lay off from buying wrecked Ford pick ups to fix in a 2 car garage and turning the yard on their corner lot in to a used car lot.

Yep, I lived in a little subdivision in town across the street from this as it developed. We had zoning but no HOA and it took a YEAR of hounding the zoning board to shut down this hillbilly so I could sell my house and get out of hillbilly acres.

Now I live on 11 acres with the national forest as a back neighbor and a neighbor on the right and left both with about 10 acres. No zoning of any kind but it seems house trailors on this road must come with a fuse. In ten years I've never seen one last more than 6 months before it burned. It was one of my requirements I gave the realtor, I don't even want to LOOK at anything where I can see a car that's not running or a house trailer from any where on my property.

First thing I did as soon as I owned it was get a state scrap yard license. Nothing, no zoning, no HOA can stop me from doing what ever I want on my property. Not ever. Not that any one could tell unless they check the records but if it comes to a junkyard contest I can quickly make them more miserable than they can make me.

Be careful what you wish on your neighbors, what goes around tends to come around.
Jack Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 19:35   #130
Z71bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
Your story happens in a carefully constructed world with no local ordinances. Here the city will send you a letter if you have a vehicle in the yard that needs a state inspection or or if your grass gets too tall. Ignore that and one day you'll come home and the car will be gone or the grass cut. It wasn't the lawn fairy and the bill will be in the mail.
So you want all the protections of a HOA - but don't want a HOA?

Many places have limited local government - which is why HOA exist.

Houston is the largest city in America with no zoning - buy in an non HOA area and you can have a Walmart next door - or an Ice house - or a junk yard.

You call the local authorities and they will laugh in your face.

Last edited by Z71bill; 07-07-2013 at 22:09..
Z71bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 22:13   #131
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny Lingus View Post
Exactly. But if the HOA decides to start doing inside inspections for labs and you object, sure you can move.

If I'm not mistaken, a change in the rules has already been discussed.
And yet, there is no way in hell they will do inside inspections. You tell them to piss-off. Come back with a court order. If you have agreed to it, the court will order it, but it will take some time as it is a civil matter.

Try to own rental property and get an inspection of you own property if the tenants wont allow it. If they force their way in without a court order, they will be shot or taken away by police. They have then crossed the line to a criminal issue.
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 00:25   #132
bubalus

I live in one and don't think I would do it again. It was billed as pretty mellow, but is more uptight than was billed. I've managed to get several nasty-grams for BS stuff, but half the people on my street park their cars in the driveway which is prohibited. If you're going to enforce it, then enforce it equally. Let's see how many dogs you have and how much they weigh since there are limits on that. Who has a home business? Can't do that either.
bubalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:51   #133
Hairlesswookiee

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKLovingIT View Post
(Edited to add: I am fundamentally opposed to the idea as it seems a great opportunity for busybodies to make big pricks out of themselves with legal backing. But, as I have never lived in one, maybe I have it wrong. I'm open to other views.)
This is my sentiment with this. Whomever is the community leader (President or whatever title they have) has the potential to literally harass the hell out of you. My mother moved into a community a few years ago, and the kids of one of the HOA authorities were going door to door asking $10 to spray paint the street number on the edge of the driveway. I know it's only $10, but I told my mom to save her money and I'll come and do it. Low and behold before the end of the following week there was a letter from the HOA saying that she needs to have it done within 30 days, or else....(I don't remember what they threatened to penalize her with).

This did not make me very happy, and I put a "No Soliciting" sign on her door after I finished stenciling her address. I almost wanted to find out if they were allowed to send family members of people on the HOA committee when there is a financial gain involved.

Last edited by Hairlesswookiee; 07-08-2013 at 06:52..
Hairlesswookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:57   #134
AZson

I think they are leaches you pay to harass you. I made sure I bought a home with out one.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:32   #135
InfoSec Guy

I've lived in two HOAs now.
The first one was an 850-unit townhouse development, and the head of the HOA's Architectural Committee lived around the corner from me. She was your typical HOA Hag, always butting in where she didn't belong and causing trouble. Right after I moved into the neighborhood, we put up a bird feeder in our front yard. Within a week, we had a "remove the offending object or the committee will do it, and fine you $1,000" notice. REALLY?

Another time, our church youth group did a 'flock of flamingos' fund raiser, in which they'd come along, stick a dozen or so decorated plastic pink flamingos in your yard, with a note asking you to donate, and name the next victim. All told, they were in the yard less than 16 hours, and warranted the same $1,000 fine.

The current HOA is not so bad. They've got some common sense rules in place, but peer pressure seems to be more effective as a way of getting things done. Most of us regard the rules as a set of standards & guidelines, and don't bother to get permission for things that will be rubber-stamped "OK" to begin with.

In both cases, the community standards were high enough that housing values are above average for the area. I won't complain about that.
InfoSec Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:38   #136
CBennett

Love hate with them I dont think I would really want to be in one though . Love that everything normally looks nice. Hate that you really cant have a single individualistic thing unless its included somewhere in some bylaws or some such...love that all the lawns are mowed nice and guys cant have 3 JUNK cars at his house...hate that I cant have anything slightly different...we have all seen the fights over flags,colors on a house,fences,trees,

So love/hate luckily im still in a decent neighborhood with people that are decent and I dont have to worry about it.
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:39   #137
tommy610

I came real close to buying into one in the otherwise free state of VA. I changed my mind when I read about the part where "no weapons are allowed to be carried within the community gates."
tommy610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:40   #138
Sharkey

No home business, no parking cars in a driveway, no birdfeeders? Yep sounds a bit Gestapo to me but hey if you like living that way.....................

Most HOA fees for Townhomes are running around $150/mo which in the DFW area is 1/5-1/6 of your mortgage.

Our neighborhood use to be an HOA but ceased that nonsense about a decade before we bought the house. We'd be living elsewhere if it still was.

I have decent neighbors right now. Two neighbors next to me have big dogs and they both play with my evil pittie (hell I'd be banned for that alone). I park my camper on the pad w/ electric in back. I put up an iron fence without asking for permission, and replaced our roof without having to run color choices by someone - We went with a light brown Decra roof by the way.

Last edited by Sharkey; 07-08-2013 at 07:45..
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:35   #139
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
I just got married last month. I was previously living in an apartment. I was going to buy a house last year but decided to wait until after the wedding because we'll need to sell her condo first so we don't have to worry about two mortgages.

Her condo association is crazy, and I hate them.

First of all the fee is insane. The monthly mortgage in this small 2 bedroom condo is only $350 per month. The association fee is $260 per month.

Maybe in my older age I wouldn't mind living in a place like this. It is nicely landscaped, everything looks good. They have a community Olympic size pool and a fairly nice gym as well.

I can't stand it. I have to fill out a form to do anything. I wanted to change the door knocker on the front door. Not even the style, just the name engraved on it. I had to fill out a form and wait two weeks to be told no.

I'm not allowed to change the door knocker because nobody with my last name is on the mortgage. We haven't had time to put me on it and updated her name with the bank yet.

Funny thing is, that the last name on the knocker isn't my wife's maiden name either. It's the last name of the owner she bought the place from.

Another funny story, is that according to their rules I'm not allowed to work from home. They have no way to know if I am or not, but I'm not allowed to work from home. I'm going to keep doing it though, I haven't seen the inside of a cubical since 2006 and I'm not going back.

FWIW, my wife want's out of here too. She bought the place while going to law school in 2006 with intentions to sell when she graduated. But with all the housing stuff she still about 20K underwater in the place. We are probably going to end up renting it out.

Last edited by captainstormy; 07-08-2013 at 08:37..
captainstormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:19   #140
JuneyBooney

Most of the time the HOA's act like Nazi control groups. While they can be of some value most act without reason and common sense. I would never buy a home where a HOA is present.
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:26   #141
WarCry

Can someone possibly explain something to me?

Folks don't like things neighbors do because they say (or at least believe) it can drive down their property value. Now, unless you're actively looking to sell your property, how is this a bad thing?

Because year after year, I see homeowners complaining about their taxes going up because property values have increased.

So folks get mad when their property value goes down, but they're also mad when property value increases.

Again, other than when property is specifically being sold, wouldn't decreased property value be a good thing to save on taxes?

Please note, I'm not talking about letting your property slip into ruin to save a few bucks. I'm talking about worrying about what the neighbors are up to (also, this is not talking about illegal activities, just unsightly ones).
Old 07-08-2013, 10:00   #142
Z71bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarCry View Post

Folks don't like things neighbors do because they say (or at least believe) it can drive down their property value. Now, unless you're actively looking to sell your property, how is this a bad thing?

Because year after year, I see homeowners complaining about their taxes going up because property values have increased.

So folks get mad when their property value goes down, but they're also mad when property value increases.

Again, other than when property is specifically being sold, wouldn't decreased property value be a good thing to save on taxes?

Please note, I'm not talking about letting your property slip into ruin to save a few bucks. I'm talking about worrying about what the neighbors are up to (also, this is not talking about illegal activities, just unsightly ones).
I will give it a shot --

Once a neighborhood starts to lose value it turns into a downward spiral and becomes very hard to reverse.

It starts with a few homes not being maintained - small stuff - a few homes that need paint and a new roof - a couple junk cars -

SOMEONE in the neighborhood is always selling so real estate agents have fresh sales to look and see where the market for this neighborhood is heading.

When property values drop - some of the homes will be purchased by people in a lower economic level than what was the norm in the neighborhood.

That drags down values even more -

Then the folks that buy homes to put out as rentals step in and buy -

Rentals almost always equal less interest in maintaining the property - so prices drop some more -

This brings in the people that are even lower on the economic status ladder - because they can afford the home - or lower rent.

By this point the neighborhood is doomed - because even the really nice well maintained homes will have lost value.

EDIT: I have nothing against poor people - they are not bad people just because they have limited cash. But face it when you don't have much money you tend to not spend what you have maintaining your property.

Last edited by Z71bill; 07-08-2013 at 10:05..
Z71bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:12   #143
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

I've seen HOA's go bad from either getting turned over to an irresponsible property management company or when a bunch of busybodies get in charge and want to tell people what to do as a way of building their own self-esteem. However, the one I live in now is doing a wonderful job. Association fees are only $400/yr and they do a pretty good job of taking care of the parks, swimming pool, tennis courts, club house and marina. The marina is a big help as it is a profit center for the subdivision which helps keep our HOA dues low. I haven't encountered any unreasonable demands for aesthetics either (but to be fair, I usually keep up with my yard pretty well).
CavDoc: "If you have to pretend that a person with a different opinion has an opinion other than his own in order to score points in an argument, you've forfeited any points that you pretended to have."
CavDoc: "You consider yourself as non-religious, and I consider you a religious zealot."

JBnTX: "Freedom of religion doesn't mean you can worship any God, anyway you see fit or not even worship any God if you so choose. [...] Christianity should be the only religion protected under the constitution, and congress shall make no law restricting its practice."

Last edited by Geko45; 07-08-2013 at 11:10..
Geko45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:24   #144
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:

No....
Old 07-08-2013, 10:30   #145
kip435

i swore to avoid them, but just bought a home in a neighborhood with a strict HOA. So far, I love it. All the homes look great. The yearly fees are low, $400. The common areas at the entrance are very nicely kept.
kip435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:33   #146
Glock30Eric
.45 ACP

HOA = Liberal

Enough said.
Glock30Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:57   #147
jknight8907

Quote:

When you or a neighbor does get ready to sell, how do you quickly reverse the unsightly neighbors habits? It can't be done. As Barney said, you've got to nip it in the bud.

Sent via teletype
jknight8907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:11   #148
Hairlesswookiee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy610 View Post
I came real close to buying into one in the otherwise free state of VA. I changed my mind when I read about the part where "no weapons are allowed to be carried within the community gates."
WTF?? I'd avoid that place like the plague.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:21   #149
WarCry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknight8907 View Post
When you or a neighbor does get ready to sell, how do you quickly reverse the unsightly neighbors habits? It can't be done. As Barney said, you've got to nip it in the bud.

Sent via teletype
I guess to my way of thinking, buying a house is something more permanent. Maybe that's my issue, not considering it the same way as renting, moving every 5-7 years or something. So I guess it's harder for me to think of what to do when you're ready to sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairlesswookiee View Post
WTF?? I'd avoid that place like the plague.
.....unless I were a burglar, rapist, etc. That's the sorta place those guys would love!
Old 07-08-2013, 11:21   #150
Gunny Lingus
Think it moved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock30Eric View Post
HOA = Liberal

Enough said.
HOA=Liberal=Communism.

People think because they choose to live under one, is isn't. But it basically is. You cannot do anything without approval from the state. In areas with higher real estate values, you cannot change the colors of your home without city approval. One township was discussing an ordinance making homeowners scoop their dogs poop in their own back yard, and another dictating when they could leave their garage doors up, and that their garage has to be kept neat. There is already a ordinance that garages cannot face the street.

A Nation of Cowards

Hey Yeager: Youtube is NOT your friend, and doesn't help your business.

Last edited by Gunny Lingus; 07-08-2013 at 11:21..
Gunny Lingus is offline   Reply With Quote