Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:47   #101
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to jpa Send a message via Yahoo to jpa
Do you have one where you live?

Yes. It's damn near impossible to find recent construction in Las Vegas without an HOA. Those who are HOA-less also generally command a premium price, if that tells you something.

Are you for or against them?

1000% against them. I've actually started researching what steps need to be taken to dissolve the HOA.

Have you ever had a dispute with one? What happened?

Not really a dispute, but I get the usual letters. Garbage can left out too long (you have a maximum of 6 hours before and after trash pickup to put your can away). Grass a few inches too tall (I was out of town for a week and didn't get to it before I left). Oil stains in the driveway. My neighbor got a letter their eaves needed to be repainted. I got a letter to reinstall the gravel/shrubs that I removed to have concrete poured to make a sidewalk to the back yard. A neighbor got a letter for having a car parked in their driveway that was unregistered.

Is any regulation they come up with fair game since the home buyer agreed?

No.

Communist plot or free market in action?

Free market in action, but in some cases impossible to avoid.

Do you think they in some way violate your property rights or not?

Absolutely.

Are they more beneficial or useful in a neighborhood with moderate or lower priced homes than say an upscale development? (Pricing per your region).

I think they're only useful in areas where there are common elements that need to be maintained. Guard gated entrances, walls, condo buildings, private streets, clubhouse, gym, pool/spa, private park, etc. If your HOA lacks any of these amenities there is no logical justification for the HOA's existence except to tell you what to do with your property.
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
Moto Club #1408, GSSF Member, NRA RSO
NRA Benefactor Member
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:55   #102
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny Lingus View Post
Can you see any of these folks fighting a revolution? They like things like an HOA, but when .gov takes the next logical step controlling every aspect of their lives, telling them what they can eat or drink, they get all bent out of shape.
Let us use some logic here to see the difference.

If a government says you can't have a 32oz big drink, you have no choice. You didn't chose to b part of it. They can also enforce their will on the manufacturers of big drinks.

People CHOSE to be part of an HOA. If they don't want to, they don't have to be part of an HOA and follow the HOA rules.

Tell me just ONE place in the USA where a person has a CHOICE to opt out of government rules. Just one place where opt out is an option.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:00   #103
elsolo

They can be very helpful when the community does not have a shared view of what is acceptable.
Parking half a dozen cars on the front yard, painting the house pink, EZ-Up used as a permanent car port or patio cover, un-permitted house addition so another 6 people can move into a single family home, etc
elsolo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:00   #104
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71bill View Post
A few homeowners (me included) do minor auto repairs - no big deal - doing a frame off restoration - in the driveway would be frowned on.

Most people that live in a residential area don't want junk cars in plain view.
I live in an HOA community. They don't care if someone works on their car over the weekend in the driveway. Just don't leave a disassembled car in the driveway.

But I have performed major work on my car at my house. It was very simple with the HOA. Do it in the garage and no problems.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:21   #105
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

I forgot to add....the local ABC affiliate's investigative reporter has started the "HOA Hall of Shame." There's some pretty outrageous stories there that have helped solidify my opinion of HOA's.

http://www.ktnv.com/contact13/hoahallofshame
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
NRA Benefactor Member
Old 07-06-2013, 10:47   #106
ModGlock17

HOAs are not created equally, meaning they are not run the same way everywhere. Bad people use HOAs and give it a bad name.

Kind of like guns.

Then some would stereotype it and become anti-gun.

They're just tools, and you can use it for good or bad.
ModGlock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 16:49   #107
Sierra9

I moved into a community that I liked. The HOA makes sure it stays that way. I read the C&Rs before buying the house and knew I could abide by them. People who don't read them and run afoul of them don't get my sympathy or that of the HOA. People buying houses here sign a from stating they have read the provisions of the C&Rs. Because of the rules I have nothing to complain about with respect to neighbors. I can understand people who don't like rules, but they have the freedom to not buy into a community with an HOA. I have the pleasure of not looking at other peoples' junk.
Sierra9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 16:56   #108
Huaco Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpa View Post
....the local ABC affiliate's investigative reporter has started the "HOA Hall of Shame."
Was there "Slime In The Ice Machine?!?"

~Zindler
Huaco Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 17:01   #109
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Do you have one where you live?

Yes. It's damn near impossible to find recent construction in Las Vegas without an HOA. Those who are HOA-less also generally command a premium price, if that tells you something.

Are you for or against them?

1000% against them. I've actually started researching what steps need to be taken to dissolve the HOA.

Have you ever had a dispute with one? What happened?

Not really a dispute, but I get the usual letters. Garbage can left out too long (you have a maximum of 6 hours before and after trash pickup to put your can away). Grass a few inches too tall (I was out of town for a week and didn't get to it before I left). Oil stains in the driveway. My neighbor got a letter their eaves needed to be repainted. I got a letter to reinstall the gravel/shrubs that I removed to have concrete poured to make a sidewalk to the back yard. A neighbor got a letter for having a car parked in their driveway that was unregistered.

Is any regulation they come up with fair game since the home buyer agreed?

No.

Communist plot or free market in action?

Free market in action, but in some cases impossible to avoid.

Do you think they in some way violate your property rights or not?

Absolutely.

Are they more beneficial or useful in a neighborhood with moderate or lower priced homes than say an upscale development? (Pricing per your region).

I think they're only useful in areas where there are common elements that need to be maintained. Guard gated entrances, walls, condo buildings, private streets, clubhouse, gym, pool/spa, private park, etc. If your HOA lacks any of these amenities there is no logical justification for the HOA's existence except to tell you what to do with your property.
I think your first sentence is bogus.
Old 07-06-2013, 17:39   #110
Z71bill

If you live out away from people - with large 25+ acre lot - then I can understand not wanting a HOA- who cares what someone does that lives 1/2 a mile way.

So this is for the people that live in town - in typical residential areas.

You don't have a HOA and the guy across the street decides he wants to go into the school bus to RV conversion business - buys 2 buses - parks them in the front yard and gets them 50% torn apart before they lose interest and just leave them sitting up on blocks.

I guess since you are a liberty loving type - it is OK that he just chopped $25K off your property value -

You go talk with him and he tells you to F off - its HIS LAND and NO ONE can tell him what he can do on HIS PROPERTY!

The next day you notice he now has a third bus in the yard.

Or flip it around -

You are looking for a home in the city - you demand no HOA - you find the perfect house - looks like it is $25K under market - RE agent tells it has had lots of lookers but NO OFFERS.

You pull up to take a look and see - right across the street 2 school buses sitting up on blocks - their seats taken out and stacked up next to the house - a little hard to see because the weeds are so high.

Do you buy it?

Last edited by Z71bill; 07-06-2013 at 17:42..
Z71bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 19:26   #111
rahrah12

we have one...so far have not had any issues...seems pretty laxed...main issue I have are people not picking up after their dog...

maybe i'll call can complain...

If it was real strict or seemed like that we wouldn't have moved here...
rahrah12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 19:36   #112
mrt949

Not for me .
mrt949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 19:41   #113
Hef
Stop Obammunism

I live in a gated HOA community. Most of the island lives in them. I also make living in construction, so most of my work is in such communities.

I hate them.

I hate getting a nasty gram saying I need to blow the leaves off my roof. I hate living 30' from my neighbors. I hate having to get a sticker to be allowed through the gate to get to my own damn house. I hate having to get permission to paint my house.

I hate having to get permission from some old busybodies on an Architectural Review Board to build a house. I hate paying $175 per year, per truck, per HOA just to get to the job sites. I hate that the security doofus who pulls me over for doing 3MPH over actually has constabulary powers and his BS tickets can put points on my license.

I like that there is no chance my neighbor will ever have a pink house, a yard full of cars on blocks, or a lawn so tall the deer could hide in plain sight. I like that there is little chance a neighbor could do something crazy to his house to screw up the value of my spec homes. I like that the security gate keeps out most of the idiots, all of the door-to-door salesmen and Jehovah's, and the majority of petty criminals. I wish the ice cream man would come through sometimes, but oh well.

I am looking forward to getting the hell out of here. I want to go back to living in the country. That was heaven.

Last edited by Hef; 07-06-2013 at 19:44..
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 20:40   #114
VC-Racing
General Flunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hef View Post
I live in a gated HOA community. Most of the island lives in them. I also make living in construction, so most of my work is in such communities.

I hate them.

I hate getting a nasty gram saying I need to blow the leaves off my roof. I hate living 30' from my neighbors. I hate having to get a sticker to be allowed through the gate to get to my own damn house. I hate having to get permission to paint my house.

I hate having to get permission from some old busybodies on an Architectural Review Board to build a house. I hate paying $175 per year, per truck, per HOA just to get to the job sites. I hate that the security doofus who pulls me over for doing 3MPH over actually has constabulary powers and his BS tickets can put points on my license.

I like that there is no chance my neighbor will ever have a pink house, a yard full of cars on blocks, or a lawn so tall the deer could hide in plain sight. I like that there is little chance a neighbor could do something crazy to his house to screw up the value of my spec homes. I like that the security gate keeps out most of the idiots, all of the door-to-door salesmen and Jehovah's, and the majority of petty criminals. I wish the ice cream man would come through sometimes, but oh well.

I am looking forward to getting the hell out of here. I want to go back to living in the country. That was heaven.

I used to haul house piling to the coastal areas. The worst were palmetto dunes at hh , harbor island at Beaufort, wild dunes at iop , Kiawah and Seabrook . It was hwy robbery for me to enter those places and God forbid I accidentally run over some grass or landscaping ....

I almost went to jail one day at harbor island because I rutted up some grass getting into a job and some resident called security to report me ..... the hoa's are psycho when I comes to big trucks....:banghead:

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Old 07-06-2013, 21:18   #115
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by .264 magnum View Post
I think your first sentence is bogus.
Which sentence? That I live in a HOA community or that homes in Las Vegas without an HOA command a premium price?

It's true. Almost everywhere you look, homes have HOAs and they get run like private fiefdoms. People are sick of it and seek out homes with no HOA.
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
NRA Benefactor Member
Old 07-06-2013, 22:02   #116
eccho

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEER View Post
1) i work outdoors in the heat, usually doing some sort of manual labor. almost 30 years of doing so has taken it's toll on my body so some weekends i either can't mow the yard, or i just flat out don't feel like it and it gets a little tall.

2) my mailbox is out by the main road. the main road is frequented by ****head teens and jackasses that love to bash mail boxes. after i replaced the 4th one i quit replacing them and started just beating the craters out of them with a ballpeen hammer. my mail box now looks like something out of a saw movie. and since the *******ed county loves playing musical road easments and moving it back and forth about every 30 seconds i'm not gonna waste the time and money building it out of brick, or having a custom welded out of steel.

3) sometimes i like working on my own truck. this sort of thing is sometimes messy and leaves stains. stains on the driveway don't bother me, i realize that is'a freaking driveway and not a dinner plate.

i just flat out don't like the idea of hoa's. the whole concept of a group of people having the ability to tell a man what he can or can't do to his own home and property based on ****** aesthetics offends me to my very core.

i will admit that the idea might help in health based cases where somebody is doing something that can physically spread to your property such as keeping an organic trash pile that attracts rodent and feral animals and such, but the other "rules" are pull bull****.
I'm inclined to agree.

The one time I ever thought another house was enough of a "problem" to be anyone's business, was, well a ****hole.

Yard completely buried in scrap metal. Underage girls wandering in and out of the property at all hours. (wtf?) Loud music all the time. They were known to come over and try to break into the neighbors garage once in awhile (police never did anything in that town) *

The place was eventually condemned if I remember correctly, and the rumor was every place these people ever lived in was condemned.
eccho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 22:46   #117
vart

Quote:
Which sentence? That I live in a HOA community or that homes in Las Vegas without an HOA command a premium price?

It's true. Almost everywhere you look, homes have HOAs and they get run like private fiefdoms. People are sick of it and seek out homes with no HOA.
I think this is true. I searched on trulia.com for Las Vegas homes and found listings that note one of the features is no HOA...

http://www.trulia.com/property/10821...Vegas-NV-89129

Quote:
Single Family Detached, Other Style - Las Vegas, NV

3500 Prairie Meadow St Trilevel home with sunken family room, sparkling pool and spa overlooking Durango hills golf course. NO HOA's Brand new HVAC unit under warranty.

"That's a big bite of crap sandwich, my friend..."

Rabbi - "Anyways, that is a beautiful car. Bill probably already farted in it."
vart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:00   #118
LarryNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by napp32 View Post
Can they also restrict religious activities such as Christmas decorations?

The Okie Corral
Which religion? Is it the one where the followers believe that Santa Claus died for their sins?
Old 07-07-2013, 08:37   #119
Sharkey

We bought a home 5 yrs ago and it was the second time I bought a home with the wife. We discussed a lot of parameters but the first one was: It can NOT be an HOA neighborhood. Enough said.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:03   #120
Peter M. Eick

Send a message via ICQ to Peter M. Eick
I have only had one real run in with the HOA. The issue was that several years earlier I had applied for a modification permit. It was granted and I kept a copy. New HOA officer comes around and goes after my modification. Having been wise to the ways of HOA, I immediately got my lawyer involved and went after the HOA's folks. Nothing in court, but I never said a word and let my lawyer do the talking. After several letters between the HOA and my lawyer they walked away. The key lesson I learned was that most HOA's have poor record keeping so if you have decent records, they odds are they don't. The second lesson is don't mess with them. Go for the attorney on speed dial. I got my attorney involved before they could get theirs involved and it seemed to throw off their whole game plan.
Old 07-07-2013, 14:04   #121
Hef
Stop Obammunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M. Eick View Post
I have only had one real run in with the HOA. The issue was that several years earlier I had applied for a modification permit. It was granted and I kept a copy. New HOA officer comes around and goes after my modification. Having been wise to the ways of HOA, I immediately got my lawyer involved and went after the HOA's folks. Nothing in court, but I never said a word and let my lawyer do the talking. After several letters between the HOA and my lawyer they walked away. The key lesson I learned was that most HOA's have poor record keeping so if you have decent records, they odds are they don't. The second lesson is don't mess with them. Go for the attorney on speed dial. I got my attorney involved before they could get theirs involved and it seemed to throw off their whole game plan.
My buddy in another neighborhood got stiffed for $1000 by the HOA for a dumpster he provided for the annual neighborhood cleanup. He withheld his dues, since they owed him, and they conveniently forgot about their debt when they began sending him nasty grams. Their latest excuse is that the previous board must have agreed to pay him but the current board has no such record, so tough **** on getting paid.
Old 07-07-2013, 14:47   #122
Gunny Lingus
Think it moved

Quote:
Originally Posted by .264 magnum View Post
I know you are cracking-wise but in my old neighborhood just north of here a guy bought a house with cash ~$500K and immediately began cooking meth, selling heroine and running guns (didn't know that 'til much later). One of the neighbors said she could smell a foul urine/ammonia smell (later proved to be DMEA - how he got a hold of that stuff I'll never know/it smells like chemical horse wizz).

Using the HOA and a bunch of concerned neighbors we were able to:

1. Run that guy off in just a few days. In coordinated fashion men from the neighborhood would take thousands of pics of that guy/his house/everyone who came and went and other pressures. Before anyone starts squealing LEOs told us officially the smell of DMEA wasn't enough to storm the home - off the record they told us the guy was cooking for sure and that we had broad purview to drive the guy away.

2. The HOA bought the house, stripped it to the studs, remediated it fully and sold it with full disclosure at par after insurance.

Eventually, the cops would have shut this guy down. But who knows what kind of mayhem he would have caused beforehand.
Let a couple meth labs get busted in subdivisions with an HOA, and you'll see them take it to the next level, and that will be inside inspections. Maybe even the right to allow police K-9 units in. If you don't have anything to hide, you shouldn't worry.

With regard to the smell not being adequate probable cause. I've always thought it would be funny if cops couldn't get a warrant but knew it was a lab, try to catch him in a cook, then with lights and sirens blowing, SWAT and a few officers roll up in front of his house, start making a lot of motion like they were preparing an entry, then staying outside for a while, and leaving. How long would it take the resident to flush everything in that home? If he is in the middle of a cook, he might make a serious enough mistake to close the lab.

But, with regard to probable cause. What if LE started tracking his purchases via his credit cards (pretend he uses them) and saw that he was buying the chemicals, sinus pills, etc. Would that be a way to approach it?

A Nation of Cowards

Hey Yeager: Youtube is NOT your friend, and doesn't help your business.
Gunny Lingus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 15:00   #123
Gunny Lingus
Think it moved

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
Let us use some logic here to see the difference.

If a government says you can't have a 32oz big drink, you have no choice. You didn't chose to b part of it. They can also enforce their will on the manufacturers of big drinks.

People CHOSE to be part of an HOA. If they don't want to, they don't have to be part of an HOA and follow the HOA rules.

Tell me just ONE place in the USA where a person has a CHOICE to opt out of government rules. Just one place where opt out is an option.
Exactly. But if the HOA decides to start doing inside inspections for labs and you object, sure you can move.

If I'm not mistaken, a change in the rules has already been discussed.

A Nation of Cowards

Hey Yeager: Youtube is NOT your friend, and doesn't help your business.
Gunny Lingus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 15:18   #124
Jack Ryan
Get off my lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEER View Post
... and since the *******ed county loves playing musical road easments and moving it back and forth about every 30 seconds i'm not gonna waste the time and money building it out of brick, or having a custom welded out of steel.
You don't have to put up with that. Road easement don't just flip flop back and forth. The legal easement is what it is. In most cases that is the edge of the pavement or the edge of the most commonly traveled portion of the road on gravel. This is for county roads and "general" as in all the couties I've ever lived in.

State highway is different but the easement is still what it is and does not change on a whim. The state paid for the property they include in the easement and they own it out right.

County roads as a rule were not purchased but set by general agreement at the convenience of the landowner. The county will take what you ALLOW them to and just act like you owe it to them. You do not.
Jack Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 15:29   #125
Hef
Stop Obammunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKLovingIT View Post
Can HOA board members or representatives inspect the interior of your home when they wish to?
Not here. The rules govern exterior appearance only. The ARB guidelines govern minimum square footage, exterior appearance, storm water drainage, and window placement.