Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-03-2013, 21:17   #26
BEER
bad example

Quote:
Originally Posted by xArcher View Post
Your local code compliance officer can. All it takes is phone call from a neighbor.

Sec. 6.203 Tall Weeds and Grass

It shall be unlawful for the owner of any lot, building, house, establishment or premises in the city to allow or permit weeds, grasses or other growth to grow to a height in excess of eighteen (18) inches without mowing or cutting same. Lots, as regulated herein, shall refer to any lot, tract or parcel of land not exceeding in area five (5) contiguous acres. (Ordinance 448 adopted 6/18/01)

if i lived in the city i'd care about that ordinance, but i don't.
Old 07-03-2013, 21:38   #27
JMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by F14Scott View Post
I live in a big, powerful, tight-fisted HOA / managed community. Homes from about $200K through $1M+. The list of restrictions and mandatory stuff is so long I got tired reading it and gave up. I pay about $1,000 per year for the privilege of being micromanaged.

And, I love it. Why? Because I agree with just about every rule and maintain my home to at or better than the HOA standards. The neighborhood looks like Disneyworld, every tree, shrub, and lawn mowed, just so. We have half a dozen beautiful community pools, tennis courts, and a common rec facility overlooking a big lake that is first rate. No junky cars, no weird additions, no above ground pools, no ugly flamingos in the front yard. Just house after house of homogeneous beauty. If I didn't like having everyone be so squared away, I wouldn't have moved here.

In my one year of living here, I've had exactly two interactions with the HOA:

1. A week after I moved in, and before I had a chance to mow the lawn after it had gone un-mowed for about two weeks, I got a nasty-gram post card about mowing. Got it mowed and never heard another word.

2. Needed permission to widen my driveway 10'. Filled out the request, waited two weeks, got approved.
I love mine as well. We pay $200 a month which includes use of the pool, lawn cutting, snow removal, leaf removal, outside painting of the house and replacement of the roof.

It's nice to come home and not have to worry about anything on the outside, any improvements I want to make I submit and will hear back within the week, the neighborhood looks great and housing prices have stayed steady.

JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 21:49   #28
Folsom_Prison
Brew Crew

My aunt and uncle live in a fancy one.

Years ago had a family get together and I drove my primered rusty kinda loud truck over. Couldn't park in their driveway so I parked in front of their Neighbors house, no big deal right? NOPE...

Mr powertrip HOA badass neighbor came banging on the door a short while later demanding to know who's "junk" truck was parked in front of his house. I said that "junk" truck is a fine machine what's the deal? He demanded I move it because he didn't want oil spots in front of his house. I told him not to sweat it, it doesn't leak and that I wasn't gonna move it. He kinda got a hissy and ten minutes later he was crawling under my truck placing cardboard under it.

Another time I went to visit on my Harley, I had screaming eagle slip ons and no baffles, sounded damn good by the way! I showed up after dark and mr badass HOA man showed up again B******* about how they don't need the noise in the neighborhood.

My uncle has said they have jumped his tail about putting the trash out to early, somebody complained once because he was changing his oil in his driveway blah blah blah.

No way in hell I'd ever live in one!! Those HOA nazis would hate me, I use roundup for a weed eater, have had wrecked trucks, motors and transmissions in the yard before.
Folsom_Prison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 22:15   #29
Flattop67

Send a message via Yahoo to Flattop67
The "younger" me always hated HOAs. Now, not such a bad thing. A crew shows up about every 8-10 days, mows, weedwhacks and blows everything clean. I have to trim the bushes, trees and maintain the flower beds. I like the fact my neighbors can't have 3 old Chveys up on blocks etc. Neighborhood (on a golf course) looks great.
Flattop67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 22:16   #30
Jakestir

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEER View Post
nope. i am adamantly against them, borderline hostile actually.

i'll be damned if i let somebody else dictate what color i paint my home, or what i park in my driveway. you pay my my taxes and make my payments then you can tell me how high my grass can get, until then go **** yourself.
I like they way you think.

My family has lived in the same small red neck town for literary 4 generations. A couple houses went up for sale a couple years ago. Well the newbies from the suburbs wanted to start a HOA. Well let's just say it didn't go well.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Jakestir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 22:18   #31
F14Scott
CLM Number 283
Luggage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowHead View Post
People who hate HOAs are the same ilk that buy next to an airport then complain about the noise. HH
Then, they go to a restaurant with a dress code and complain about not being served...

Me, I like everybody being a little dressed up.
Old 07-03-2013, 22:29   #32
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

Quote:
Then, they go to a restaurant with a dress code and complain about not being served...

Me, I like everybody being a little dressed up.
Could there be a HOA rule mandating dress codes? Not just at the pool maybe, but anywhere outside in the neighborhood. I guess there could be.

Thoughts?

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.
HKLovingIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 22:30   #33
kahrcarrier
FAHRENHEIT

I recently moved into a subdivision with an HOA.

No problems so far, although the first thing I did was put two plastic flamingos in the yard.

I've done that at every place I've ever lived. Call me a rebel.
kahrcarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 22:34   #34
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahrcarrier View Post
I recently moved into a subdivision with an HOA.

No problems so far, although the first thing I did was put two plastic flamingos in the yard.

I've done that at every place I've ever lived. Call me a rebel.
From what some have described so far, you might have a problem soon.

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.
Old 07-03-2013, 23:03   #35
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Stick View Post
IAlso all these people that had the problems with the fence "blocking the view" couldn't see the pond unless they stood on the peak of their roof if then.
Here in CO, we have no ponds to look at. We have however, solved this issue. We like to look at mountains. It takes a pretty tall fence to block a 14000 foot tall mountain.
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 23:31   #36
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKLovingIT View Post
Could there be a HOA rule mandating dress codes? Not just at the pool maybe, but anywhere outside in the neighborhood. I guess there could be.

Thoughts?
Google, "bungalow colonies" in the Catskill region of New York. There are entire towns with extremely strict dress codes and gender behavior on the books. HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 00:00   #37
JMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
Here in CO, we have no ponds to look at. We have however, solved this issue. We like to look at mountains. It takes a pretty tall fence to block a 14000 foot tall mountain.
The Okie Corral
The Okie Corral
http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_4188445#

JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:46   #38
Z71bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS View Post
The "vent" is not the one finger salute to the neighbor -

The tallest vent is behind the others - if anything he is flipping himself off - I would have installed it differently.
Z71bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:30   #39
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB768 View Post
No, won't live in one, 95% of the stories I've heard, have been nightmares. My neighbors are pretty good neighbors, they take care of their properties, are still pleasant 6 years into the subdivision, and with no HOA.
I was involved in an HOA for about 10 years in a low level kind of way. I'll tell you straight up. You almost never hear about HOA actions that go well - having gang sign erased off of a perimeter fence before sunrise so the signing does not happen again, coordinating with the cops to drive off drug dealers and worse malefactors, the list is endless. You only hear the bad and I'd say 95% of the time the bad is exaggerated greatly.

Last edited by .264 magnum; 07-04-2013 at 07:36..
.264 magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:52   #40
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyReb View Post

How can a private organization issue fines?
Professional sports do it all the time. HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:53   #41
Z71bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by .264 magnum View Post
I was involved in an HOA for about 10 years in a low level kind of way. I'll tell you straight up. You almost never hear about HOA actions that go well - having gang sign erased off of a perimeter fence before sunrise so the signing does not happen again, coordinating with the cops to drive off drug dealers and worse malefactors, the list is endless. You only hear the bad and I'd say 95% of the time the bad is exaggerated greatly.
HOA are like Glock BTF?

My HOA was just starting to get to the - WTF point when we had our yearly meeting.

Enough people complained about the ridiculous stuff so they dialed it back.

In 2009 we almost moved to a little town right next to Houston called Deer Park. Really nice custom home - price was so low VS Houston - but the guy across the street (also a nice home) had a GIANT RV parked on the side of his house - by side of the house I mean on the grass next to the house. If you looked out the front window you see a GIANT RV.

I ask the real estate person about it she said it was common practice - then added why pay storage on a boat or RV when you can just put it in your yard?

Last edited by Z71bill; 07-04-2013 at 07:56..
Old 07-04-2013, 08:00   #42
F14Scott
CLM Number 283
Luggage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyReb View Post
That being said I don't know how they can legally force property owners to follow their code, or fine owners.

How can a private organization issue fines?
Selling the house is contingent on HOA approval. In my home's case, the HOA did an inspection with the prior homeowners and determined they did not have the requisite four (4) shade trees in the back yard. The HOA would not sign off until the prior owners planted another tree.

I think the HOA contract also allows them to put a lien on properties that are in gross violation or that aren't paying their dues or fines.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:02   #43
minnshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEER View Post
nope. i am adamantly against them, borderline hostile actually.

i'll be damned if i let somebody else dictate what color i paint my home, or what i park in my driveway. you pay my my taxes and make my payments then you can tell me how high my grass can get, until then go **** yourself.
Couldn't have stated my opinion any better than this!
"The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..."

James Madison
minnshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:04   #44
hk_shootr
Never forget!

I can see their merit.

Those that are against them, simply do not buy a home with a HOA clause. Very simple stuff.........just do not complain when you get a redneck neighbor with three cars in the front yard on blocks and grass two feet high!
hk_shootr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:23   #45
Z71bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk_shootr View Post
I can see their merit.

Those that are against them, simply do not buy a home with a HOA clause. Very simple stuff.........just do not complain when you get a redneck neighbor with three cars in the front yard on blocks and grass two feet high!
It would make it easy to give directions to your home.

Turn left on Elm street - right at the purple and orange striped house with the school bus camper in the front yard

Go straight until you see the above ground pool with a rusted out 71 Chevy pickup on blocks diving board - then turn right

Turn left at the house with no paint and 4 different colored shingles -

We are just past the house with the double wide trailer addition

If you get to the house with 25 dog cages in the front yard you have gone too far.

Last edited by Z71bill; 07-04-2013 at 08:37..
Old 07-04-2013, 08:48   #46
F106 Fan

How long do you want to see that wrecked car prominently displayed in your neighbor's driveway?

Sometimes this is enforced by the HOA and sometimes by the Code Enforcement officers from the local government.

When houses are only 50 feet apart, wrecked cars need to be junked, not celebrated.

Richard
Old 07-04-2013, 08:52   #47
hk_shootr
Never forget!

Lived in Florida for many years,........have dealt with HOAs before. I tend to avoid them, but I prefer to live on acreage.
hk_shootr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:20   #48
Gunny Lingus
Think it moved

A Nation of Cowards

Hey Yeager: Youtube is NOT your friend, and doesn't help your business.
Gunny Lingus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:05   #49
Kevinr20

I waited to find a place i really liked that didn't have an hoa.

i just can't stand the idea of someone telling me what i can/can't do with my property.

Some hoa's I've heard of around here dictate what types of plants/cactus you can plant in your yard, what color you can paint your house, how many cars can be parked in the street, can't freaking change a car tire in the drive way or do any mechanical work at all.

I'll never live under an hoa if i can help it.
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samuel Adams, August 20, 1789
Kevinr20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:07   #50
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

Quote:
Selling the house is contingent on HOA approval. In my home's case, the HOA did an inspection with the prior homeowners and determined they did not have the requisite four (4) shade trees in the back yard. The HOA would not sign off until the prior owners planted another tree.

I think the HOA contract also allows them to put a lien on properties that are in gross violation or that aren't paying their dues or fines.
Can HOA board members or representatives inspect the interior of your home when they wish to?

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.