Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:52   #1
Eric2340
Infidel :)

Recommend folding defensive carry knife?

What are some of the top rated or what is considered one of "the best" recommended folding defensive knives (NOT general purpose) for carry?

Looking for something I can get a good grip on, maybe with something to protect the fingers from slipping onto the blade in a defensive situation, but that will also fold up and fit into a pocket well?

Thanks -
Old 07-02-2013, 08:17   #2
thetoastmaster
NOT a sheepdog!

Send a message via ICQ to thetoastmaster Send a message via AIM to thetoastmaster
What kind of training are you interested in getting?

Training will dictate blade profile. For instance, Mike Janich's wharncliffe profiles are more effective for meets, passes, and checks than they are for the low-line thrusts of a pure Pekiti Tirsia style, or the modified styles that use pikal grips.

Lots to consider. If it's just "insert tab A into slot B". Than any well-built folder is as good as any other.
And skill is more important than either,
The final weapon is the brain.
All else is supplemental.

- John Steinbeck

2+2≠4!
thetoastmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:24   #3
Eric2340

"insert tab A into slot B" is more me.

I guess me biggest issue is the whole grip thing with the fear of my fingers sliding up on the blade. I'm not crazy about some of the more "abrasive" grips b/c I don't like the way the slow it down coming out of the pocket (I already have a Kershaw Blur - LOVE the knife, HATE the grips :( ).

I guess I am just looking for a GOOD strong blade and lock, and hopefully some kind of finger guard? I prefer the tanto tips too for strength purposes, but it's not a deal breaker for me either.

Thanks -
Old 07-02-2013, 08:26   #4
Eric2340

My current carry is a Cold Steel 4" Voyager (old style, non-curved grip, unlike what the current catalog has) with a tanto tip BTW.

Again, LOVE the knife, just concerned about the whole finger guard / sliding in wet hands from blood or other thing. :(
Old 07-02-2013, 08:35   #5
bill4282

Recommend folding defensive carry knife?

SOG Trident. Plenty of grip, aggressive blade and spring-assisted. Reversible pocket clip for lefties. EDC my back pocket.

Last edited by bill4282; 07-02-2013 at 08:35..
bill4282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:39   #6
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Emerson Knives are touted as such.

Why not try out the production knife that started the tactical knife market?

A nice shiny CQC7

The Cutting Edge

syntaxerrorsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:42   #7
Eric2340

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill4282 View Post
SOG Trident. Plenty of grip, aggressive blade and spring-assisted. Reversible pocket clip for lefties. EDC my back pocket.
One of the ones I was considering, only thing that concerned me was what was the quality of it (NOT being familiar with SOG mind you, so DON'T take that the wrong way) when I saw it in the Wally World showcase? :(

Again, I could be WRONG, I have NO experience with SOG.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:44   #8
Eric2340

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntaxerrorsix View Post
Emerson Knives are touted as such.

Why not try out the production knife that started the tactical knife market?

A nice shiny CQC7

The Cutting Edge
Saw that in the "GATE" section I checked out before I posted. My only opposition at THIS point (and again, I know I COULD be wrong, WHY I am asking ) is the lack of the finger guard I am considering?

Again, I also could be DEAD wrong on this finger guard thing too, someone correct me if I am please.

Thanks!
Old 07-02-2013, 08:45   #9
Eric2340

I also just have a bug for a new knife too is part of it. LOL
Old 07-02-2013, 08:48   #10
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric2340 View Post
Saw that in the "GATE" section I checked out before I posted. My only opposition at THIS point (and again, I know I COULD be wrong, WHY I am asking ) is the lack of the finger guard I am considering?

Again, I also could be DEAD wrong on this finger guard thing too, someone correct me if I am please.

Thanks!
Finger guard?

Ok...

The Commander.

The Cutting Edge

syntaxerrorsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:49   #11
bill4282

Have had mine over a year. Still sharp, no blade wobble or side to side play. I did use an Emory board to dehorn some of the grip edges; cutting through my pocket. Not a bade knife for the price. You need to weight the cost of a carry knife with the probability of actually using it for self-defense, especially if you also CCW. I also carry a Kershaw spring assist in my front pocket and a folder strapped to my truck visor. Knives are like guns - never too many.
bill4282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:57   #12
GlockPride
Glock 23

I carry a Moki Lakota Legend. Nice knife, quick, fast opening and thin profile blade. I wouldn't do much prying with it, but defensive slashing/stabbing should be good. The grips are grippy without being grabby. I don't think that this model is offered any more, but they can be found out in the market. I traded some unwanted items for me so the price was right. I'm in sales, so I needed a nice knife.
My daily use knocking around knife that does all the work is the smaller Cold Steel Voyager with tanto point and partial serration.
Eph6:12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.13Therefore put on the full armor of God
GlockPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:51   #13
up1911fan

I really like Zero Tolerance Knives.
up1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 15:09   #14
Benello

Spyderco PM2
Benello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 15:34   #15
Glock2008
Gun User

Benchmade Presidio, Emerson Commander, and ZT 0350. all have a good positive grip (the Presidio having the most grip) and also have somewhat of a finger guard. Out of the numerous knives in my collection those three seem to see the most pocket time.
Glock2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 15:35   #16
bdcochran

same question, different day

1. Budget. Just asking for "the best" and then learning that "the best" is $100 over budget is not productive.

2. Your age, size, weight, occupation, physical handicaps, skills level and life style are critical.

3. True applications.

Let's draw a situation. You are urban, a office worker, travel outside the home just to go to movies. No skills training. Weight is a problem because the knife either goes into the slacks out of sight of the date or it goes into a sports jacket pocket. When you say "whoa, that's not me", you begin to understand that lifestyle is important.

Ok. Want a $40 knife? Ontario Rat 1. Want a $20 knife? The Ka-bar uncataloged 2823 sold at Big5. Want a $150 knife? An Al Mar folder. Want an $85 knife? Benchmade MiniGRip. So, that budget plays a part.

My comments. I don't like a tanto point. Semi-serrated is ok, but I know other people would object. I like a Benchmade bidirectional sheath rather than putting a knife in my pocket. This despite having the paid training in using a pocketed folder for defense.

Emerson makes a fine knife. I own some. Even one with a wave feature, but I don't carry it because my life style doesn't include any anticipated encounters on the bad side of town, at 2 am in the morning in a bar or other situations.

Oh, and you will appreciate, just like the guys on this forum that a knife is just a tool. So, the guys own a number of knives. The one a guy takes on a picnic isn't the tool that he takes on an overnight camping trip. It isn't the same knife that he slips into a dinner jacket.

Go ahead and laugh. I was sitting in a restaurant in Cannes, France eating mussels. When the going got rough, I simply brought out my leatherman and used it. The guy sitting next to me was trying to use a shell to open his mussels.

Last random thought. 1960. Jr. High School. A fight. Kid brings out a switchblade and takes a posture like he is a bad dude. Other kid kicks the knife out of the first kid's hand, and then proceeds to make him cry. Knowing how to use/retain a tool is probably more important than simply having an EDC. By the way, if you ever pay for training, you will be exhausted within a few minutes of practice. Most knife fights will be over within 20 seconds, it isn't like the movies.
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 21:46   #17
GWG19

I carry the CRKT M21-04 on my pack or cliped on. I also carry the M21-02
I recently lost the screw for the cross bolt. I called CRKT they sent me the replacement parts at no cost. Great customer service.
The Cutting Edge
- If you’re not moving, you’re dead.
GWG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 22:19   #18
Officer's Match
S.R.D. v

Waved Emerson, pick your own style. I didn't care for the CQC-7 grip. Love the Commander grip and the Journeyman grip - find the Journeyman to be a much more useful blade profile. Even better still the Benchmade Rukus, but good luck finding one.
btw, S.R.D. = Strategic Response Dog
Officer's Match is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:16   #19
Krav Maglock

Emerson Commander is my new fav.

Last edited by Krav Maglock; 01-22-2014 at 12:09..
Krav Maglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:27   #20
Ryobi
SummertimeRules

Knives are for cutting things, not as a go-to for defense unless you have no other option. I prefer bench made autos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric2340 View Post
What are some of the top rated or what is considered one of "the best" recommended folding defensive knives (NOT general purpose) for carry?

Looking for something I can get a good grip on, maybe with something to protect the fingers from slipping onto the blade in a defensive situation, but that will also fold up and fit into a pocket well?

Thanks -
Ryobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:00   #21
Eric2340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryobi View Post
Knives are for cutting things, not as a go-to for defense unless you have no other option. I prefer bench made autos.
Never said it was for a go-to for defense, this is more of last ditch/back up to a back up/God forbid it comes down to this/can't get to my gun for whatever reason thing.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:04   #22
Eric2340

I'm kind of leaning towards the SOG or maybe a different Kershaw as far as what I see I like.

Anyone else have any experience with SOG? I have NO reason not the think they don't make a nice knife, I'm just not familiar with them? That and I'm not sure I like having the lock on the blade to keep it from deploying? I've carried a spring assisted knife forever and never had an issue with it trying to open while carrying ? :(

Thanks-
Old 07-04-2013, 07:17   #23
Caustic117

I have two SOG knives and I love them both.

SOG visionary. I have the smaller one but both are great blades.

SOG Vision. Has a tanto blade and also the finger grove your looking for.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Caustic117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:19   #24
Eric2340

Either one have the opening lock ? How's that work?

Thanks -
Old 07-04-2013, 07:27   #25
Caustic117

No. These are NOT Assisted opening blades, But The lock they use is similar to the Benchmade axis lock, They do have a notch (sort of) that the lock slides into when the blade is closed. It provides enough hold that the blade will not open unless you want it to. Either the thumb stud or pulling on the blade.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Last edited by Caustic117; 07-04-2013 at 07:32..
Caustic117 is offline   Reply With Quote