Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-30-2013, 20:43   #1
DannyR

The Glock Slide Finish

What you see is not the old tennifer or new metal hardening process. It is the black phosphate coating. Tennifer and it's new EPA approved replacement is impregnated into the steel and is colorless. The black finish is applied on top of it, and does not effect the corrosion resistance of the slide, which still has a Rockwell harness of around 68--much harder than stainless steel, which I think is around 54.

Final slide finishes have varied over the years, and I cannot explain that. I've always liked the flat black of the 90's best.
Bull Dawg #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DannyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 15:07   #2
tango44

Love the shinny slide on my G19 with Austrian proof marks.
General Glocking
tango44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 15:39   #3
clarkz71

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango44 View Post
Love the shinny slide on my G19 with Austrian proof marks.
My 2012 G23 has that finish, not a mark on it after a year of carry.
G23 gen3 .40/.357 Sig
Florida Glocker #1923
clarkz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 15:46   #4
tango44

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkz71 View Post
My 2012 G23 has that finish, not a mark on it after a year of carry.
That's why I love it, no marks at all after all the beating!
Old 07-01-2013, 15:50   #5
SJ 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyR View Post
What you see is not the old tennifer or new metal hardening process. It is the black phosphate coating. Tennifer and it's new EPA approved replacement is impregnated into the steel and is colorless. The black finish is applied on top of it, and does not effect the corrosion resistance of the slide, which still has a Rockwell harness of around 68--much harder than stainless steel, which I think is around 54.

Final slide finishes have varied over the years, and I cannot explain that. I've always liked the flat black of the 90's best.
This needs to be posted as a Sticky,perhaps folks would finally get it,naw that's asking to much of people to read and understand it. SJ 40

Last edited by SJ 40; 07-01-2013 at 16:03.. Reason: eta
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 15:55   #6
tango44

+1 make it sticky!
Old 07-01-2013, 17:25   #7
stolenphot0
RTF2 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ 40 View Post
This needs to be posted as a Sticky,perhaps folks would finally get it,naw that's asking to much of people to read and understand it. SJ 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by tango44 View Post
+1 make it sticky!
Stick it
stolenphot0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 18:19   #8
Magus
Deo Vindice

Sticky needed for sure.

But yeah, the dull black coating of the 90's I liked best. The most recent coating seems the closest they've come to that in a while.

The glossy black I hated. Found it to be too slick in certain scenarios.
Magus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 18:25   #9
man.cave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus View Post
Sticky needed for sure.

B
The glossy black I hated. Found it to be too slick in certain scenarios.
I will give you that about it being a little slick at times, but man that finish is tough
man.cave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:47   #10
lupuss

The new slide finish is not a kind of phosphate finish. Since Glock began to use plasma gas nitriding surface treatment instead of salt bath ferritic nitrocarburization ( Tenifer ), no additional surface treatment or finish is applied on the slides after the surface treatment process. At a certain degree of heat during the plasma gas nitriding process, the metal itself gets oxidised and darkened. The new Glock slides are surface hardened and oxidised at just one step, instead of two steps of surface treatment and epoxy baked on finish that was used to be...This is why the dark dull black colored surface of the newer slides get scracthed easily.

By the way, while Glock claims that the newer surface treatment is much more rust resistant, or at least as rust resistant as it was used to be, it is exactly false, the new slides get rusted easily.

I do realy want the two steps of surface treatment and baked on finish of the Glock back....

Best.

Last edited by lupuss; 07-02-2013 at 01:55..
lupuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:06   #11
Audiman77

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupuss View Post
The new slide finish is not a kind of phosphate finish. Since Glock began to use plasma gas nitriding surface treatment instead of salt bath ferritic nitrocarburization ( Tenifer ), no additional surface treatment or finish is applied on the slides after the surface treatment process. At a certain degree of heat during the plasma gas nitriding process, the metal itself gets oxidised and darkened. The new Glock slides are surface hardened and oxidised at just one step, instead of two steps of surface treatment and epoxy baked on finish that was used to be...This is why the dark dull black colored surface of the newer slides get scracthed easily.

By the way, while Glock claims that the newer surface treatment is much more rust resistant, or at least as rust resistant as it was used to be, it is exactly false, the new slides get rusted easily.

I do realy want the two steps of surface treatment and baked on finish of the Glock back....

Best.
This^^^ exactly why my avatar pics are my only gen 4 guns that have been nickel boron coated. My older gen 3's look fantastic after carrying everyday.
Audiman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:56   #12
man.cave

I am all confused about finishes now. My older glocks have the dull flat finish "Tenifer treated", and my new have the Teflon looking finish (not flat, not easy to scratch). My barrels after 3k rounds hardly show any sign of chatter or slide. So little that you would have to hold and inspect it, it wouldn't show in a picture. I really like the Teflon finish minus the slickness at time. I can scratch my finger nail in the side until I have no finger nail, there wouldn't be a mark on it.

Last edited by man.cave; 07-02-2013 at 10:57..
Old 07-02-2013, 11:15   #13
Audiman77

Quote:
Originally Posted by man.cave View Post
I am all confused about finishes now. My older glocks have the dull flat finish "Tenifer treated", and my new have the Teflon looking finish (not flat, not easy to scratch). My barrels after 3k rounds hardly show any sign of chatter or slide. So little that you would have to hold and inspect it, it wouldn't show in a picture. I really like the Teflon finish minus the slickness at time. I can scratch my finger nail in the side until I have no finger nail, there wouldn't be a mark on it.
They were all tennifer treated until recently. The tennifer was under the black. The older Teflon finish was the best IMO. But some like the dull flat. Matter of personal opinion.
Audiman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 14:05   #14
fuzzy03cls

Whatever dull gray finish is on my 10 gen 4 G22 is a POS. Thing looks horrible, nicks, scratches, worn spots. My 06 G17 & 09 G27 looks brand new. My newer 12 gen 4 G22 has held up much better though. It's that shiny finish.
fuzzy03cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 14:27   #15
Leigh

Having owned them (all Austrian and purchased NIB) since the early 90's, and early to mid 2000's I have seen a variety of factory finishes.

First model 19 from 1991 had a very rough, almost "parkerized" finsh. It sucked up CLP like a sponge, showed all minor scratches and holster wear BUT 1000% resistant to corrosion.

Next came a Gen 2 23 (maybe 1998-99) with more of a Beretta "Bruniton" feel and look. Pretty slick but sometimes looked unevenly applied (depending on the angle/lighting).

Mid 2005 model 21 that was not as shiny but has showed zero scratches after MANY presentations.
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 16:30   #16
man.cave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy03cls View Post
Whatever dull gray finish is on my 10 gen 4 G22 is a POS. Thing looks horrible, nicks, scratches, worn spots. My 06 G17 & 09 G27 looks brand new. My newer 12 gen 4 G22 has held up much better though. It's that shiny finish.
Ok I don't guess the new flat finish has made it my way yet. I was in a LGS today and they where all still the Teflon glossy finish (which I really like).

My vote is for the Teflon like finish (btw I know it has nothing to do with Teflon, it is just the easiest way to describe it)

Last edited by man.cave; 07-02-2013 at 16:31..
Old 07-02-2013, 20:46   #17
Sgt127

I was issued a new G22 Gen4 about a year and a half ago. It has a semi shiny finish. It looks like its finely pitted underneath, but smooth. Awful finish. It's got bare steel showing on several places.

I have a 13 year old G35 that was previous issue with the older grey parkerized looking finish that held up remarkably for the 10 plus years I carried it.
Sgt127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 23:17   #18
crazymoose
Nonentity

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupuss View Post

Best.
I agree. I had a 4th gen G34 start to rust. First I'd ever experienced that with a Glock. The gun was oiled and stored in a foam-lined case (a huge no-no for most guns, but I figured that this Glock, like all the others I've owned, was almost impervious to rust). Lo and behold, in a couple of weeks, the slide had several small orange rust spots, and numerous dark splotches indicating the beginning of corrosion under parkerizing.

Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. Voltaire

Last edited by crazymoose; 07-02-2013 at 23:24..
crazymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 23:19   #19
crazymoose
Nonentity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiman77 View Post
They were all tennifer treated until recently. The tennifer was under the black. The older Teflon finish was the best IMO. But some like the dull flat. Matter of personal opinion.
The Teflon (or epoxy, whatever it was) certainly looked the best and was most durable. Functionally, however, I found the rough oxide on the early guns to be the best, as it added extra purchase when grasping the slide.

Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. Voltaire
crazymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 23:24   #20
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyR View Post

All my Glocks are gen3 or earlier.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote