Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:34   #1
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

Break-In Ammo quantity and Selection Opinions

It is a seemingly established fact that you need to break-in a gun with a sufficient amount of ammo for reliability testing. Agreed. Some say at least 200+ rounds or more.

Using the ammo you plan to run, normally, even better. But, let's say you want to run a bunch of HP ammo (after running a bunch of regular stuff for the reliability portion) to check to see how the gun runs using HP.

If you run 50 or more HP rounds without issue (after already running 100s of RN ammo) would you be satisfied? What about that many (or more) of one brand? Would you then be happy with HP reliability in general, or would you hold out for that specific ammo used ONLY and not just all HP?

Opinions, please.

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
robhic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:50   #2
unit1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by robhic View Post
If you run 50 or more HP rounds without issue (after already running 100s of RN ammo) would you be satisfied? What about that many (or more) of one brand? Would you then be happy with HP reliability in general, or would you hold out for that specific ammo used ONLY and not just all HP?
After break-in I like to run at least a 50-round box of JHP carry ammo to assure reliability. I have traded away one pistol because it never got through a single box of any ammo without at least one glitch, no matter how minor it seemed.

With the duty caliber pistols I still have I'm fortunate that every ammo --- JHP or FMJ --- successfully fire and eject no matter what brand. (Knock on wood)
Old 06-30-2013, 11:01   #3
Tiro Fijo

Totally depends on what type of gun.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 16:59   #4
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
Totally depends on what type of gun.
I just bought a used Ruger LCP more for my 2 grandudes to shoot than anything. It is a quality weapon, was cheap, has a laser and they're getting restless just shooting my .22s. Want something a bit bigger plus I figured the laser would make them think they were super cool, too!

But I like the tiny gun and figured I have it, why not at least make it a useful tool if I need a small, quickie IWB to have rather than nuttin'?

So I have a bunch of RN ammo through it and was gonna run some hotter, defense-type loads for the "just in case" scenario. I really don't want to shoot 100s of SD ammo mainly because of cost and availability these days.

But I have about 80HP and hard cast lead FN bullets I want to test out. If it eats those, I thought I'd be happy and that was what I intended to get some input on in this thread. Make sense?

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Old 06-30-2013, 17:19   #5
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Amigo ! Surprize.... haha.

Man, after you 'ring that thing out" with everything else, and if it is 'truly reliable'. Then you try out those 100gr HC FP's, and if it will feed 50 or so with out a hiccup, I would be happy and go on.....

Clean you mag and feed ramp, and chamber before you shoot the new 100gr HC, just to simulate shooting from a clean gun (as you would carry it) and make sure you at least "knew" things were clean before you tried your "carry ammo."

I usually run a ton of ball through any new semi auto, and then about 50/60 rds of the JHP's I am going to carry. If it feeds them all flawlessly. I load up and go on.

Then when I go outside to play, and shoot ball, or what ever, I always end a session with at least a mag full of what I carry, and go back in the house..

Always has worked for me at least..

Good luck

Good shooting
Stay safe !

CanyonMan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 18:50   #6
WinterWizard

I like to break in with about 500 rounds of FMJ. Then if it functions fine on about 50 rounds of whatever hollow point I want to carry, I call it good.

Some say you should run at least 200 of your selected carry ammo ... and I would say those people are probably rich or at the very least, wealthy.
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 19:15   #7
collim1
Shower Time!

I personally just can't afford to shoot up a lot of my JHP carry ammo. I like to shoot about 200rds of FMJ to verify the gun is reliable. Then 1-2 mags of my JHP carry ammo. If all is well after that I call it good to go and have no problem trusting it.

I do understand the logic behind testing as much of your carry ammo as you can afford before trusting the gun enough to carry. I "save" my old carry ammo that I replace every year and hold it onto it just for testing guns out.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 20:03   #8
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonMan View Post
...I usually run a ton of ball through any new semi auto, and then about 50/60 rds of the JHP's I am going to carry. If it feeds them all flawlessly. I load up and go on...
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWizard View Post
I like to break in with about 500 rounds of FMJ. Then if it functions fine on about 50 rounds of whatever hollow point I want to carry, I call it good...

OP, that's solid advice above.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:02   #9
M 7

Quote:

Opinions, please.
That's pretty much the process I follow. Couple of hundred FMJs down the pipe and then a box (or two) of premium JHPs.

Of course, many folks forget or neglect to confirm the reliability of each magazine meant to be used with the pistol, too. Each magazine (my carry guns all have three dedicated mags, you may differ) should go through three complete firing cycles with the carry ammunition I have chosen for me to be comfortable with it. You may be comfortable with more or less.
Old 07-01-2013, 17:02   #10
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

TO ALL: Thanks for the replies. That's kinda what I expected. I am testing/shooting the dreaded 380 pistol in Ruger LCP flavor! It is NOT my CCW of any type and I got it more, like I said, for my 2 grandudes to shoot.

But I liked the little (tiny!) pistol so figured: I got it, I might as well make sure it is shipshape for an emergency. I got it used and I've put around 200 rds RN ammo thru it and all is fine. I'm gonna put about 80 JHP through it to make sure it doesn't choke.

CANYON MAN! These 380 threads seem to get you posting, sir! I figured you'd had your fill after that earlier, 19 page thread that seemed it wouldn't die!!! Good to see you.

Old 07-01-2013, 17:21   #11
barth
six barrels

I go overboard and break my guns in on HPs.
Usually a few boxes of Winchester Ranger Ts, Federal HST & Speer GDHP.
Then switch to a few boxes of FMJs.
If all goes well with that?
Then a box of any new HP is good enough for me.
My H&K, Sig Sauer, Glock, Kahr & Arsenal guns are not ammo sensitive.
But I like seeing if a particular gun favors a manufacturer and/or weight ammo.

Is that process expensive?
Yup, but I'm worth it.

Last edited by barth; 07-01-2013 at 17:26..
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 20:54   #12
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
TO ALL: Thanks for the replies. That's kinda what I expected. I am testing/shooting the dreaded 380 pistol in Ruger LCP flavor! It is NOT my CCW of any type and I got it more, like I said, for my 2 grandudes to shoot.

But I liked the little (tiny!) pistol so figured: I got it, I might as well make sure it is shipshape for an emergency. I got it used and I've put around 200 rds RN ammo thru it and all is fine. I'm gonna put about 80 JHP through it to make sure it doesn't choke.

CANYON MAN! These 380 threads seem to get you posting, sir! I figured you'd had your fill after that earlier, 19 page thread that seemed it wouldn't die!!! Good to see you.

Well amigo.. I was NOT 'even' going to post here until you PM'd me and ask a thing or two, (which i was more than happy to help with as you know). haha.

Oh, I hate to trash stuff, but I just am not a 380 fan, and we will leave er' there !

See what ya did to me... !

Hey, enjoy your gun, and stay safe pard.. !

P.S. I am gone guys. I keep getting my anti-virus box popping up on GT, and my PC is acting weird. Adios !

CanyonMan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7

Last edited by CanyonMan; 07-01-2013 at 20:58..
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 21:26   #13
rustytxrx

while you are doing the break in you might as well load a three mags. put two if them on you belt and do some combat reloads. make sure a do a retention reload. that well give you one in the chamber and 8 in the mag.

I have one 1911 that does not like a Barney load or reload with retention......8 + 1. besides that you can barely get the 8 round mag to seat when loaded to 8.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:53   #14
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustytxrx View Post
while you are doing the break in you might as well load a three mags. put two if them on you belt and do some combat reloads.
While this gun will be for last-ditch-all-around-emergency-close up-ECQ use (whew!) because it is such a tiny little thing, that ain't a bad idea. I want to do a bunch of different magazine/load/reload things just to be sure.

And CANYON MAN: Good luck with the computer woes, my friend, and thanks for all your information you've provided me!