GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:20   #1
Knighj1

Ever witness someone die in front if you?

When I was 10(1993), I went on vacation with my mom, brother and his friend to Orange Beach. We stayed at the Perdido Beach Resort, one of the only places on the island at the time and was very upscale for its time. We unloaded our stuff in the room and we set out on a beach walk. My brother and his friend, were 5 years older than I was, so on the way to the beach we stopped by the cigarette machine(it was 93, they were $2 and had the pull knobs). Once they had their Marlboro's, which I still can't pronounce, we walked out to the beach.
At this time is was a typical first day beach walk, until we saw a man float onto the shore unconscious. Some on the beach was able to revive him and as a group of 5-7 gathered we wondered if he was alone. We, being kids could not offer much, so we set out walk and smoke. About 1/8 of a mile down the beach his wife washes up at our feet and she was beyond dead. The ambulance came and they tried to revive her, but there was nothing they could do.

Anyone have anything like this happen to you? What's your story?
Knighj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:26   #2
fireguy129
NRA Member 2008

Ran on an ems squad for a bit, plus being with family members when they passed. Nothing to write home about.
fireguy129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:27   #3
badge315

I used to work in a hospital; I've seen plenty of people die in the trauma center. On the plus side, I've wrestled a gun away away from a suicidal individual and pulled a jumper in off a ledge, so I at least was able to prevent two people from dying before my eyes.

- The Loc-Nar
badge315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:27   #4
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Yes

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:30   #5
DaleGribble
Well Heeled Bum

All the time. Mostly older people that had their proverbial "clock" stop. It happens to us all. I've seen a few trauma victims die but most of them are dead when I get there.

Two of note...

One poor guy had his rear tire on his Goldwing blow out at about 60mph. He was unconscious when I got to him and had massive chest trauma. I pleural decompressed one side and the second I pulled the needle out he died.

Another guy was incredibly lucky. I responded to a call of a gun shot wound to the head. I found the patient sitting up and talking. He had been shot in the forehead from about five feet away by a 9mm. The bullet penetrated his skin, hit his forehead and proceed to wrap around his head under his skin and between his skull prior to exiting right above his ear. All he needed was a few stitches and he was discharged from the E.R. a few hours later.
DaleGribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:31   #6
Gun Shark

Send a message via AIM to Gun Shark Send a message via MSN to Gun Shark Send a message via Yahoo to Gun Shark

Yes I have.

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms." --Thomas Jefferson

"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."
Gun Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:34   #7
FullClip
CLM Number 171
NRA Benefactor

Sadly so....

A car crash I came across on "the Airline" in Maine road about 20 years ago. Guy was ejected from his car.

And worse was a couple fellow workers I knew on the job sites. One had a heart attack and the other fell about 30 feet into the condenser.

Makes a person realize how fragile we are and how everything can end without any warning.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:37   #8
PBCounty

Send a message via AIM to PBCounty
I'm in my 14th year of employment in the country club / hospitality gig of South Florida. Pack a couple hundred seniors a day into a facility of tennis, golf, boating, drinking, dancing, eating and hitting the gym all while under the hot sun. I can work an AED in my sleep by now.

Last edited by PBCounty; 06-28-2013 at 12:39..
PBCounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:38   #9
TH237

Seen more than one, and I hope my last.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:45   #10
crsuribe
10mm Auto

I'm from Colombia and was a kid in Bogota during the Pablo Escobar era.

Been blocks away from the sites of 2 major car-bomb attacks and saw the results through the eyes of an 8 year old boy... basically I've seen people die in front of my eyes in so many different situations it makes me feel like Ive been in a war... seen some bad car accidents and helped transport the dying victims in one of them, seen people get shot inside a bus just a few rows in front of me, seen a shootout at a gas station that left 4 people dead, seen military men laying on the side of the road after being executed by guerrilla men... witnessed 2 people commit suicide on separate occasions, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

Just lots of violence and death all around me when I was a kid. Just not directed at me or my family thank goodness.

*I love USA*
crsuribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:51   #11
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Yeah. Aftermath of car accident, guy had his skull split from top to bottom, in the back, and some brain sticking out. I talked with him He was slurring and having difficulty stringing thoughts together. I talked lwith him as he died. Cops came after he was dead. His buddy died in the accident.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:54   #12
willie_pete
NRA Life Member

More than a few:

1. Heart attack fell through a plate glass window. Cut up pretty good but no blood. DRT

2. 18 wheeler drove off the road through some trees, caught fire. I and a few other people were following. His passenger was out when we got to her, but the cab was fully involved. Driver was DRT

3. Traffic accident a few cars ahead of me. Driver went left of center and head on into another car. Left of center guy was hanging out of the car DRT.

I drive everywhere and don't fly because it is too dangerous.

WP

NRA Instructor in Pistol, Advanced Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, PP In/Outside the Home, Metallic/Shotshell Reloading, Chief RSO, Certified Glock Armorer, NRA Life Member

Last edited by willie_pete; 06-28-2013 at 12:55..
willie_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:55   #13
Willfulone
CCA Corvette

Yeah, was with my Mother in Law when she passed

Glad We were there with her.

Will
Willfulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 13:07   #14
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

YES, in front of me as well as in my arms.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 13:09   #15
johnd

Send a message via ICQ to johnd
More than a few, most deserved it. The DUIs really deserved it. Yes its amazing how frail the human body is when in motion and it hits something immobile.
Wish I had witnessed my MIL, I would have been right there and able to drive a wooden stake through her heart to make sure she can never come back. Now Ill have to dig her up to do that

Last edited by johnd; 06-28-2013 at 13:11..
johnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 13:13   #16
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Yep..
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 13:16   #17
willie_pete
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd View Post
Wish I had witnessed my MIL, I would have been right there and able to drive a wooden stake through her heart to make sure she can never come back. Now Ill have to dig her up to do that

Whoa, where did that come from dude??

WP

NRA Instructor in Pistol, Advanced Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, PP In/Outside the Home, Metallic/Shotshell Reloading, Chief RSO, Certified Glock Armorer, NRA Life Member
willie_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 13:18   #18
kahrcarrier
FAHRENHEIT

Yes.
But really no stories I'd care to share about them.

They are all pretty personal or pretty mundane.
I think once you reach a certain age, it usually has gone with the territory......
kahrcarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 13:18   #19
Knighj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd View Post
More than a few, most deserved it. The DUIs really deserved it. Yes its amazing how frail the human body is when in motion and it hits something immobile.
Random, but too damn funny, love it, I have a crazy one as well
Knighj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 13:24   #20
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

1 Car accident (probably was dead in the car, but the paramedics tried to get her to the hospital.. young teenager)
1 Heart attack.. attempted CPR, no joy.
1 Hanging.. had to be cut down and CPR attempted. no joy.

I've found a few who just didn't wake up.
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 13:25   #21
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

I have been a Fireman and I am a Cop...yes, yes I have. I have also been with sick family and friends in their final moments.

I fornicating hate it. As trite as it sounds, life and death are not the same, even when the line is close.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 13:25   #22
RyanNREMTP
Inactive/Banned

Nope.

Sent by psychic paper from the TARDIS.
Old 06-28-2013, 13:40   #23
KevinFACE

Only a cat that I didn't want to leave alone as it was being put to sleep.
KevinFACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 13:41   #24
kurt1305

25 years as a paramedic in a large urban system. Yes.
kurt1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 13:55   #25
mixflip

Yes...

My combined service as a Navy Corpsman, EMT, ER tech, surgery tech, firefighter and police officer has shown me a few dead bodies in my time.

One of the hardest on my soul was putting a football sized package into a standard refrigerator in the hospital basement. It was a baby who only had a few breaths of life before she left this world. I wont lie. I cried. I had never cried dealing with dead bodies before that day.

Last edited by mixflip; 06-28-2013 at 13:55..
mixflip is online now   Reply With Quote