GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:35   #21
Redstate

All of mine work perfectly with 8 round magazines and when I carry a 1911, it is with 8 rounders.
Redstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 15:17   #22
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstate View Post
All of mine work perfectly with 8 round magazines and when I carry a 1911, it is with 8 rounders.
You are very lucky to be able to make a blanket statement like that considering most of us have found large variations in reliability between different brands of eight-rounders.

I tried a few some worked, some didn't.

I'd buy lottery tickets if I were you.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 15:59   #23
Tiro Fijo

Actually, back when I owned my last 1911 I converted all the 8 rd. Wilson mags over to 7 rds. with the Tripp conversion kits. Of course, I sold my last 1911 as I no longer use outhouses, ride a horse to work nor read by kerosene lamp.

Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 16:28   #24
fastbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
Actually, back when I owned my last 1911 I converted all the 8 rd. Wilson mags over to 7 rds. with the Tripp conversion kits.
Not the first guy to change some 8-rd mags over to 7-rd application, are you? (Hey, that's the very first thing I did when I bought my Colt XSE Government, was toss those folded leaf spring followers and wimpy springs for standard dimpled steel followers and EP springs.)

Quote:
Of course, I sold my last 1911 as I no longer use outhouses, ride a horse to work nor read by kerosene lamp.

I'd imagine it was an easier transition away from those things than when you originally had to give up cap 'n ball reee-volvers, wasn't it?

Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer

Last edited by fastbolt; 06-29-2013 at 16:36..
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 16:29   #25
countrygun

Quote:
Actually, back when I owned my last 1911 I converted all the 8 rd. Wilson mags over to 7 rds. with the Tripp conversion kits. Of course, I sold my last 1911 as I no longer use outhouses, ride a horse to work nor read by kerosene lamp.

So you can't poop indoors, can't outsmart an animal, and are illiterate .

Somebody has to buy Glocks I guess

Old 06-29-2013, 16:51   #26
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
You are very lucky to be able to make a blanket statement like that considering most of us have found large variations in reliability between different brands of eight-rounders.

There must be a reasonably simple explanation for variability in reliability in 8 round mags when it's not a problem in 7 rounders.

Of all the parts and pieces that make a 1911 run, the magazine seems the simplest, by far.

What makes the design and manufacture of an 8-round box with a spring and follower so difficult to perfect? What is it that adding one more round of capacity screws up? I would think a couple of Purdue seniors could come up with a reliable design in about as much time as it would take to throw down a pizza and 6 beers.

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 06-29-2013 at 16:52..
PhotoFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 17:00   #27
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFeller View Post
There must be a reasonably simple explanation for variability in reliability in 8 round mags when it's not a problem in 7 rounders.

Of all the parts and pieces that make a 1911 run, the magazine seems the simplest, by far.

What makes the design and manufacture of an 8-round box with a spring and follower so difficult to perfect? What is it that adding one more round of capacity screws up? I would think a couple of Purdue seniors could come up with a reliable design in about as much time as it would take to throw down a pizza and 6 beers.
Out of curiosity, did you read post #5 by fastbolt and get a perspective from actual experience when you came up with your theory about who should design 8 rd 1911 mags ?
Old 06-29-2013, 17:49   #28
FireForged
Millenium #3936

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghJim View Post
Is there a real or perceived reliability issue with using 8 round mags in an 1911?
There has been problems with 8 round springs in a variety of magazines for more than a decade.
Old 06-29-2013, 18:05   #29
rustytxrx

During the daylight savings time part of the year I shoot a NMC hard ball match every Monday night. The 4" Kimber is not a NMC hardball gun but I have been using it. I wanted to see how the alloy frame wo9uld hold up. I have been keeping track of the 230 gr hardball UMC that has gone thru it. Monday nightI open the fourth box of 1K 230 gr UMC. NMC matches you just load 5 rounds so no problems.

if I load 8 rounds it is hard to seat the mags. I have trouble on load and make ready, I have to check the slide to make sure it went locked up. the slide may not pick up the #7. Both Kimbers have gone thru the Custom Shop.

The 4" is a good shooting smooth running 1911 with 7 round mags. I had Kimber set te sights for a POA at 50 yds. With the 230 gr UMC if get a 6 o'clock hold at 25 yds. I am still running the stock Kimber recoil spring and will till for a while more.

Caliber Corner
Old 06-29-2013, 18:36   #30
Tiro Fijo

All joke aside, THE solution for bad 8 rd. mags is the Tripp conversion. Unbelievable how smooth these make a mag work:

http://www.trippresearch.com/store/store_1911.html
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 19:58   #31
fastbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFeller View Post

Trying to stuff 8 rounds into a box magazine designed to hold 7 rounds, AND fit flush in a Colt Gov Model, means you've got to compromise somewhere. It's often the spring, and/or the follower. Don't you think JMB would've stuffed more rounds in his mag if he thought he could do so and make it run as reliably as desired?

Now, personally, I'd like to see someone design an 8-rd 1911 mag that would run as well as the 8-rd 4506/66 mags that S&W presently uses ... but they worked at it for some years before they got it as close to perfect as we can probably expect. (While it's really more of a gimmick, it's sometimes funny to see the expression on a 1911 owner's face when you load a 4566 mag with empty cases, and then run the slide by hand, flawlessly feeding all of them. ... followed by

Of course, the feed angle/departure in the S&W mag is different than that of the 1911 (or else S&W wouldn't have to be using commercial 1911 mags in the SW1911's ), and the 4506/66 8-rd mag was designed with a mag box long enough to contain 8 rounds with a suitably strong spring.

I really wish S&W engineers would try their hand at designing an 8-rd 1911 mag. Why not? Just about everyone else has tried, right?

I remember having a discussion with the good folks at Tripp Research a few years ago. I was ordering some mags for T&E at the time. The gentleman asked me which 1911 I was going to be using them in, which naturally made me ask why he'd ask.

He said the metal support in the mag catch area of their followers could vary, if necessary, and they did that so they could get their mags to run in the assorted production 1911's everybody was making. He explained that not everyone may be putting the mag catch cut at the same exact spot, as there wasn't a "standard" set of blueprints being used. No kidding, huh?

So, if I any problems I thought might be related to the seating & lock up of the mag, I could call and they'd send me a follower with a different spec metal insert.

He also told me they were just getting ready to change vendors for their mag bodies, and the new ones would have what they felt were even better tolerances.

Well, the mags ran just fine, and I gave one of them away to guy who couldn't get a couple of other make/model mags to feed JHP's in his "project Commander". The Tripp mag solved his feeding problem.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 20:15   #32
rustytxrx

the best mags I have shot were from Clark Customs. Of course they were running in Clark Hardballer and Longslide Match. The Match magizines shoot a 200 gr LSC at 850fps better than any magazines I have shot. I kinda suspected that the mirror polished barrel ramp had something to do with it.
Old 06-29-2013, 20:33   #33
WinterWizard

This thread fails to take into account what most 1911 threads also fail to take into account: that all 1911s aren't created equal. Lumping all 1911s into one group is simply stupid. Let's let 50 companies make their version of a Glock and a different 50 companies make their version of a Glock magazine and then see how well the different combinations function together. It would probably cause the same problems.
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 21:43   #34
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Quote:

So why wouldn't you blame it on the mags that don't work instead of blaming it on the fact that it holds 8 rounds?

And WinterWizard makes a great point. I'm seeing a lot of Kimber in this thread. I couldn't make mine run with 7 round, 8 round, factory, handloads... anything.

ETA: If you want to shoot 8-rounders, get Chip McCormick (or Wilson) and don't look back.

Last edited by Zombie Steve; 06-29-2013 at 21:46..
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 21:53   #35
rustytxrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWizard View Post
This thread fails to take into account what most 1911 threads also fail to take into account: that all 1911s aren't created equal. Lumping all 1911s into one group is simply stupid. Let's let 50 companies make their version of a Glock and a different 50 companies make their version of a Glock magazine and then see how well the different combinations function together. It would probably cause the same problems.
Your point makes some sense but if you buy after market piston for your Chevy small block do you expect them to fit?

They drop right in. We just have expectations. Now if you buy a Kimber 8 round magazine for a Kimber 8 round pistol you expect it to work like your life depends on it. I would personally not assume that....but I think I should be able to

Last edited by rustytxrx; 06-29-2013 at 21:54..
rustytxrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 22:00   #36
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Steve View Post
So why wouldn't you blame it on the mags that don't work instead of blaming it on the fact that it holds 8 rounds?

The fact that the same company's 7 rounders worked fine is what we call "A Clue".
Old 06-30-2013, 00:46   #37
WinterWizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustytxrx View Post
Your point makes some sense but if you buy after market piston for your Chevy small block do you expect them to fit?

They drop right in. We just have expectations. Now if you buy a Kimber 8 round magazine for a Kimber 8 round pistol you expect it to work like your life depends on it. I would personally not assume that....but I think I should be able to
I don't assume or expect anything in this day and age. Sad times.
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:28   #38
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Quote:
The fact that the same company's 7 rounders worked fine is what we call "A Clue".
"Doctor, it hurts when I use company X's 8-round mags."

"Then stop using company X's 8-round mags."

Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:42   #39
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Out of curiosity, did you read post #5 by fastbolt and get a perspective from actual experience when you came up with your theory about who should design 8 rd 1911 mags ?
No, I missed it. My Purdue student theory was tongue in cheek to underscore my thought that mag design shouldn't be rocket-science difficult. Shows how little I know.

I'll read post #5.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:11   #40
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Ok, I read #5. Its a good post, but it doesn't touch on my query about why adding 1 round of capacity makes a difference, in technical terms, in reliability. I was hoping for an explanation like: 'for 1911 pistols, the spring strength requirement for 7 rounds of .45acp is perfectly proportional to the standard magazine length x pi. Adding magazine length to accommodate an 8th round introduces a variable that makes spring strength difficult to compute for consistent feed reliability'.

Maybe the explanation is more magic than science.