Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-27-2013, 17:39   #1
Caine

Doubletap Ammo in Ruger LCR 357

I have a Ruger LCR 357, and it shoots great with typical 357 defensive loadings. I especially like the medium-velocity Remington Golden Saber in 357 in this gun. The recoil is entirely manageable, in my opinion. My question is this - has anyone shot Doubletap ammo through the LCR? I have a box of the 125 grain Bonded JHP's, rated at 1605 fps in a 4 inch barrel. I realize the inefficiency of the short barrel and many people's preference for the 38, etc. Just wondered how well the Doubletap rounds perform in this format and if the gun seemed to suffer any undue stress? Thanks.
Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:06   #2
Tiro Fijo

Perform in what sense? Accuracy at 1,000 yds? Dug out of bodies in the morgue?, etc.

How any round shoots in any given gun is specific to that gun. As for how it shoots in your gun you'll have to find out.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:38   #3
WinterWizard

I am sure they feel hot. But if you are worried that your gun can't handle it, I wouldn't want that gun.

The Buffalo Bore 125gr at 1700 fps are pretty nuclear. Shot them out of a 4" barrel and it turned everyone's head at the range. It was like the scene from Robocop where he shoots at the range for the first time. Ha ha! I wouldn't want to shoot them out of a snubbie, simply for the controllability factor.

Just get a death grip on the gun and pop a few off. If they are too hot, simply stop. I doubt a few are going to hurt.
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:11   #4
Ak.Hiker

In such a light weight revolver I would be concerned with the bullet jumping the crimp with such a hot load. I would run those DT's in an all steel revolver if it was me.
Ak.Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:12   #5
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

SP101, no problem.

LCR, I'd be concerned.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:00   #6
Arnold Kuhl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
I have a Ruger LCR 357, and it shoots great with typical 357 defensive loadings. I especially like the medium-velocity Remington Golden Saber in 357 in this gun. The recoil is entirely manageable, in my opinion. My question is this - has anyone shot Doubletap ammo through the LCR? I have a box of the 125 grain Bonded JHP's, rated at 1605 fps in a 4 inch barrel. I realize the inefficiency of the short barrel and many people's preference for the 38, etc. Just wondered how well the Doubletap rounds perform in this format and if the gun seemed to suffer any undue stress? Thanks.
Don't know anything about the LCR, but I can tell you that the last time I shot a MEDIUM load out of my old SP101, it was like a hand grenade going off in my hand!

Be careful. That Double Tap sounds like a mighty peppy load for a little gun.

AK
Arnold Kuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:28   #7
LS357

Hello, new to the forums. Just thought that I'd comment on this one. I do own an LCR 357 (357Mag and Sig fanboy!), and I have shot Doubletap rounds through mine. I can tell you that whenever I was testing for a daily carry round, the DT 125gr loads kicked pretty hard and the 158gr loads were downright painful, and I'm not exactly small. I'll just stick with the 125gr Hornady CD for LCR carry.
LS357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:45   #8
Cicero

I researched this pretty heavily when I got the same platform a few years ago. Basically, the short bbl limits the burn time on the powder regardless of the round. High recoil is not the same as muzzle velocity. Check out the pages for .357 mag here: http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/357mag.html -- there is a spread, but doesn't look like it's associated with the initial energy of the round out of a 4" or 6" bbl. The best performer at 2"--the Corbon DPX-- was middle of the pack at 6". The Corbon 125 JHP and 140JHP were tops in their respective weights at 6", but near the bottom at 2".

I ended up going with the short bbl 135gr from Gold Dot, which combined reliability, an excellent and dependable bullet, and powder and charge supposedly set to give a complete burn in a 2" bbl but no more. This yields minimized recoil (faster follow up shot) and lower muzzle flash (better night vision recovery). I've only had to whack an overaggressive rooster with mine, but it shot with complete accuracy at a 12lb rooster running at me at about 15 feet. Obviously the bullet passed completely through about 7" of bird running in a line from just in back of the head, entering the torso from the back, continuing through the body cavity longitudinally, and exiting out right next to the vent. I recovered the bullet after attempting to part out what was left of the bird. Perfect expansion, and the exit wound showed that the bullet had expanded while in the bird, although it might have completed that when impacting the ground.

In theory, I could run the 180gr doubletap hardcast slugs I use in my 6" pistols through the LCR, although I'm running the risk of bullet jump. But the extra recoil from that round would be generated by powder burning after the bullet left the bbl.
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 21:21   #9
unit1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
I have a Ruger LCR 357, and it shoots great with typical 357 defensive loadings. I especially like the medium-velocity Remington Golden Saber in 357 in this gun.
I'm not a revolver guy but I do know for a lot of .357 snubbie owners the "typical 357 defensive loadings" are a bit too much for them to handle so they go to a .38 Special round for carry.

If you're already comfortable with the standard .357 Magnum self-defense rounds in your pistol I'd say you're probably just where you want to be. Those Golden Sabers ought to do you just fine.
Old 09-25-2013, 18:04   #10
AL Bundy's Dodge

I agree that klcr's(the .357 lcr) is a great gun with very tame recoil for its size and weight.

Shooting that ammo out of it will undoubtably cause crimp jumping. In my experience, they are very durable and easy to clean.

Shoot a box, it won't break from one box. I shot some max loaded, 158gr .357 reloads and they emitted and enormous flash and a lot of unburnt powder. They crimp jumped and the lead nose was shaved off the forcing cone at the split second that the round was fired. My face was peppered with lead fragments which drew blood

Be careful

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
AL Bundy's Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote