SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-26-2013, 17:31   #121
WarCry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphertext View Post
Look at that word in bold, Government and go back and read what I wrote...

The statement in that treaty was saying that the US Government was not a Christian Theocracy.... it in no way means that the nation was not founded by Christian people, following Christian principles.... They are simply saying that the Church does not have governmental powers.
There is no "United States of America" without the government being created. It's just a bunch of spaces on a map, perhaps even separate nations, an area that would look like Africa.

If you're seriously trying to say that talking about the FOUNDING of the nation being completely unrelated to the government, then you're about as far out of touch with reality as Flipper, because that's just absurd.
Old 06-26-2013, 17:34   #122
domin8ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyMSU View Post
Bigots beware: head back to your basements and bunkers; human rights means EVERYBODY IS TREATED THE SAME, not just straight, white Christians.

In before all the butthurt!
That works both ways. I'm sick of minorities crying for equality and then asking for more once they get equality. The Supreme Court is right in ruling that homosexual couples should get equal treatment. My only problem is they think a word should be redefined instead of coming up with something else that would have a special meaning to them and found just as wonderful as the word marriage. If they could do that I would be 100% on board. As William Shakespeare wrote in Romeo & Juliet, ”A rose by any other name would still smell just as sweet.”

Last edited by domin8ss; 06-26-2013 at 17:39..
domin8ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 17:40   #123
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

I'm just so happy! Now I can marry my Father and avoid a couple of million in Federal estate taxes we'd otherwise have to pay. Once I marry him I get the benefit of the marital deduction and won't have to pay a dime! God I love that man....

Hah...go pound sand you money grabbing libs!

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 17:45   #124
Gregg702
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
I'm just so happy! Now I can marry my Father and avoid a couple of million in Federal estate taxes we'd otherwise have to pay. Once I marry him I get the benefit of the marital deduction and won't have to pay a dime! God I love that man....

Wow, you really think that gay couples being able to marry will bring about making it legal to marry your dad? Can you marry your mom right now and do the same thing? This is the worst arguement I have ever heard against gary marridge.

Rimfire Club Member #702

Black Rifle Club Member #702
Gregg702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 17:51   #125
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

Well, lemme know when I can marry my cat. I need to get on his benefits.

But serious question, does this mean that laws about polygamy and such are toast?

Not that I'd be fool enough to get a bunch of wives.

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.
HKLovingIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 17:53   #126
cyphertext

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarCry View Post
There is no "United States of America" without the government being created. It's just a bunch of spaces on a map, perhaps even separate nations, an area that would look like Africa.

If you're seriously trying to say that talking about the FOUNDING of the nation being completely unrelated to the government, then you're about as far out of touch with reality as Flipper, because that's just absurd.
I didn't say that it was unrelated, however, without the People, there is no government, no nation... and the Christian faith was most certainly the majority at that time.

The line in the treaty was written to show that the church did not have direct power in our government. Notice that when the treaty was re-done several years later, that whole article was removed. To say that the majority of the people who formed this nation were not of Christian beliefs, principles, and values is absurd.

If we are not a nation of Christian principles, then why does the very oath of office or enlistment that you took end with "So help me God"?
cyphertext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 17:59   #127
cyphertext

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKLovingIT View Post
But serious question, does this mean that laws about polygamy and such are toast?
I have wondered that myself since we are no longer following the traditional definition of the word marriage.

Does the ruling have the effect that the fed gov does not define what a marriage is?
Old 06-26-2013, 18:02   #128
WarCry

Quote:
I have wondered that myself since we are no longer following the traditional definition of the word marriage.

Does the ruling have the effect that the fed gov does not define what a marriage is?
The way I read the ruling is that - as it always had before 1996 - the federal government will recognize whatever a state recognizes as marriage for the sake of federal benefits.

Frankly, DOMA never should have happened because the Feds should have only been accepting what states recognize, like drivers' licenses.....

....perhaps CCW will be next?
Old 06-26-2013, 18:03   #129
mhambi
Hegemon

Civil Liberties Issues

'Sovegna vos a temps de ma dolor'. Poi s'ascose nel foco che gli affina.
mhambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 18:04   #130
mhambi
Hegemon

Quote:

Words mean things!?!

Old 06-26-2013, 18:18   #131
mhambi
Hegemon

Last edited by mhambi; 06-26-2013 at 18:18..
Old 06-26-2013, 18:26   #132
C6vetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock30Eric View Post
I am glad with the decision.

Government has no business with the marriage at first place. It is the religious' business. The Government should never gave the benefits to marriage (tax break, etc).

I do not accept gay practice.

Nor do I. Cardinal Dolan (i am not Catholic, btw) is right - it is a sad day for America. Our founding fathers placed this nation "... Under God ..." which does mean that our practices should align with those described clearly in the written Word. Our President has tainted the SC ... Looking forward to his term expiration.
C6vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 18:32   #133
WarCry

Quote:
Originally Posted by C6vetter View Post
Nor do I. Cardinal Dolan (i am not Catholic, btw) is right - it is a sad day for America. Our founding fathers placed this nation "... Under God ..."
Let me try this again for the cheap seats....

NO
THEY
DID
NOT!

"In God We Trust" and "Under God" didn't come along in the government until the mid-1950s! Your comment about the Founders is absolute crap!
Old 06-26-2013, 18:32   #134
cyphertext

Quote:
The way I read the ruling is that - as it always had before 1996 - the federal government will recognize whatever a state recognizes as marriage for the sake of federal benefits.

Frankly, DOMA never should have happened because the Feds should have only been accepting what states recognize, like drivers' licenses.....
Good point. I don't know of any states who are discussing recognizing polygamy yet.
Old 06-26-2013, 18:34   #135
HarlDane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post

Was son's marrying mothers or daughters marrying fathers a valid estate planning tool prior to gay marriage being recognized?

This is right up there with the claims that fraud marriages are now going to be a problem because gays can marry.
HarlDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 18:51   #136
WarCry

Quote:
Good point. I don't know of any states who are discussing recognizing polygamy yet.
For the record (and since a large percentage of folks here already hate me anyway), I wouldn't have a problem with polygamy, either. Frankly, as long as all participating members in a relationship are CONSENTING ADULTS (see, I emphasized that to avoid confusion), why in the hell would I give a damn what they do? And yes, I fully mean ANY consenting adults. Even if I think it would be the worst possible choice (I have one wife...that's MORE than enough!), it's not my call to make, and I haven't seen any legitimate arguments against it that don't drag religion into it.

To paraphrase a line from a TV show, I don't want the government small enough to squeeze their way into anyone's bedroom. It should be small enough to mind their own f'n business when it comes to people's interpersonal relationships.
Old 06-26-2013, 19:02   #137
bipe215

Quote:

NO
THEY
DID
NOT!

"In God We Trust" and "Under God" didn't come along in the government until the mid-1950s! Your comment about the Founders is absolute crap!

You need to read the Declaration of Independence sometime.
bipe215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 19:04   #138
mhambi
Hegemon

Quote:

NO
THEY
DID
NOT!

Yeah... It's not like it was canonized in The Star Spangled Banner or anything... oh, wait...

Oops, all my comments make it seem like I care more than I do. I just get a kick out of both sides... the 'no religious' basis folks, and the 'all religious' basis folks.

Old 06-26-2013, 19:21   #139
WarCry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipe215 View Post
You need to read the Declaration of Independence sometime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhambi View Post
Yeah... It's not like it was canonized in The Star Spangled Banner or anything... oh, wait...
Neither the Declaration of Independence nor the National Anthem are official documents of the United States Government. One was written before there was such a thing as the United States government existed. Another was written long after the founding of the nation (1814, to be exact), same as the Pledge and the Motto.

So that's one that predates the government, and 3 that are 40 decades or more removed from the founding of the government.

Next?
Old 06-26-2013, 19:33   #140
fastbolt

Quote:

NO
THEY
DID
NOT!

FWIW, the "In God We Trust" started appearing on coinage at least as early as the turn of the 20th century (looking at gold pieces).

Previously to that, "Liberty" was seemingly the primary emphasis when it came to coinage wordage.

Just thought I'd mention it before you extended yourself out on that branch too far.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer

Last edited by fastbolt; 06-26-2013 at 19:34..
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gay agenda, homophobic drama, scary gays, scotus