GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 14:18   #76
el_jewapo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Read the decision. Its based on equal treatment clause of the 14th Amendment.
Gays have the same rights straight people do.
el_jewapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 14:20   #77
LASTRESORT20
LongTerm-Guy
 
LASTRESORT20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 6,523
Civil Liberties Issues

Last edited by LASTRESORT20; 06-26-2013 at 14:20..
LASTRESORT20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 14:21   #78
RumRunnerII
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post
Equal protections clause.

I'm glad this happened. They have as much right as the rest of us to be miserable.
HAHAHA I was just about to say the same thing. For me it was some elderly neighbor of my cousin, who I think was drunk when he said it.

Gay/Straight don't make me no difference its them BI & TRI men who get me nervous.
RumRunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 14:24   #79
Ragnar
Senior Member
 
Ragnar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sometimes here, sometimes there
Posts: 11,720


Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIPPER 348 View Post
That we are and always have been a Christian Nation is not revisionist history.

Part of the problem seem to be lack of education on your part.
The Treaty of Tripoli, written in 1796, would say you're wrong.



Art. 11. As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion,—as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen [Muslims],—and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan [Muslim] nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 14:29   #80
M&P15T
Beard One
 
M&P15T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,113
The only part that gets me, is why would the gays and lesbefriends purposely invite The Man into their relationships?

That's a dumb move to me.
__________________
Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus (519 BC – 430 BC) Power should only be given to those that want it least.
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 14:37   #81
whoflungdo
Senior Member
 
whoflungdo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: MS
Posts: 6,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
The only part that gets me, is why would the gays and lesbefriends purposely invite The Man into their relationships?

That's a dumb move to me.

Because there is a larger agenda at play than the governmental benefits they bemoan....
__________________

GTDS Certified Member #9
whoflungdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 14:38   #82
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member
 
FLIPPER 348's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Bend Oregon
Posts: 21,781
[QUOTE=Liquid Sword;20405749]So you are not a Christian, but you demand that we let the far right run the country in a Christian fashion?

/QUOTE]


I'd never want the nutty Religious Right running the country. To deny we were founded as a Christian Nation is a silly as being offended by the word God on our currency and its addition to our Pledge.
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 14:43   #83
Liquid Sword
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 262
Flipper, there is concise and positive evidence to the contrary in this thread that you are overlooking.
Liquid Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 14:50   #84
WarCry
Senior Member
 
WarCry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: IL, on the banks of the Muddy River
Posts: 7,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIPPER 348 View Post
I'd never want the nutty Religious Right running the country. To deny we were founded as a Christian Nation is a silly as being offended by the word God on our currency and its addition to our Pledge.
Both changes that were made in the 2nd half of the 20th century, not the 2nd half of the 18th century when the country was actually founded.

And I've yet to see a response to two different postings on the Treaty of Tripoli.
__________________
"If you have something to say, now would be a perfect time to keep it to yourself." --Col. Chester Phillips
"If you believe everything you read, better not read." --Japanese proverb
WarCry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 14:50   #85
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member
 
FLIPPER 348's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Bend Oregon
Posts: 21,781
We were founded by Christians as a Christian Nation with Christian principals. Not as law like Iran is a Muslim country. Check out that book.
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 14:52   #86
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member
 
ArtificialGrape's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 5,527
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
The only part that gets me, is why would the gays and lesbefriends purposely invite The Man into their relationships?

That's a dumb move to me.
Well, for the DOMA plaintiff, DOMA cost her $360,000 in estate taxes that she would have been spared had her marriage been recognized. Seems like a pretty good reason to me.

Now she's entitled to that $360,000 back with interest.
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 14:54   #87
Liquid Sword
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialGrape View Post
Well, for the DOMA plaintiff, DOMA cost her $360,000 in estate taxes that she would have been spared had her marriage been recognized. Seems like a pretty good reason to me.

Now she's entitled to that $360,000 back with interest.
...and for benefits of military/police personnel killed or hurt performing their duties.
Liquid Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 14:56   #88
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member
 
FLIPPER 348's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Bend Oregon
Posts: 21,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialGrape View Post
Well, for the DOMA plaintiff, DOMA cost her $360,000 in estate taxes that she would have been spared had her marriage been recognized. Seems like a pretty good reason to me.

Now she's entitled to that $360,000 back with interest.

So it's about money.
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 14:56   #89
Liquid Sword
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarCry View Post

And I've yet to see a response to two different postings on the Treaty of Tripoli.
That is because there is no response on that subject that supports his claim.

Last edited by Liquid Sword; 06-26-2013 at 14:57..
Liquid Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 15:00   #90
WarCry
Senior Member
 
WarCry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: IL, on the banks of the Muddy River
Posts: 7,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIPPER 348 View Post
We were founded by Christians as a Christian Nation with Christian principals. Not as law like Iran is a Muslim country. Check out that book.
Quote:
As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion
Three little words:
In.
ANY.
Sense.

I'm not a legal scholar, but I think "Christian Principals" as a basis would be "in a sense".

No that a few little words have ever mattered to people discussing government documents on this site, right? Like, say, the last few words of the second amendment?
__________________
"If you have something to say, now would be a perfect time to keep it to yourself." --Col. Chester Phillips
"If you believe everything you read, better not read." --Japanese proverb
WarCry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 15:01   #91
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member
 
ArtificialGrape's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 5,527
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIPPER 348 View Post
So it's about money.
It's about equality -- the money demonstrates how inequitable DOMA was.
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 15:01   #92
WarCry
Senior Member
 
WarCry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: IL, on the banks of the Muddy River
Posts: 7,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIPPER 348 View Post
So it's about money.
I believe it's about keeping what a spouse is entitled to. If someone came to take money away from you because they didn't recognize your right to it, I'm guessing you wouldn't be so blasé about it.
__________________
"If you have something to say, now would be a perfect time to keep it to yourself." --Col. Chester Phillips
"If you believe everything you read, better not read." --Japanese proverb
WarCry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 15:07   #93
ColdSteelNail
Senior Member
 
ColdSteelNail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 1,484
What did you expect? This is the same court that ruled that corporations have the same rights as people.
ColdSteelNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 15:11   #94
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member
 
ArtificialGrape's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 5,527
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIPPER 348 View Post
We were founded by Christians as a Christian Nation with Christian principals.
The US was founded as a decidedly secular nation -- the Constitution and the Treaty of Tripoli should make that clear. The form of Christian Deism observed by many of the founders would be heretical today making them unelectable by the Christian Right.

Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because if there be one he must approve of the homage of reason more than that of blindfolded fear. --Thomas Jefferson

Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. It is the mere Abracadabra of the mountebanks calling themselves the priests of Jesus. --Thomas Jefferson

What has been Christianity’s fruits? Superstition, Bigotry and Persecution. --James Madison

Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise, every expanded prospect. --James Madison

I have found Christian dogma unintelligible. Early in life I absented myself from Christian assemblies. --Benjamin Franklin

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason. --Benjamin Franklin

ISCBIMTALBIMM
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 15:13   #95
jay29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIPPER 348 View Post
We were founded by Christians as a Christian Nation with Christian principals. Not as law like Iran is a Muslim country. Check out that book.
Bullcrap. We were founded by pagans and masons. Find the Name of Jesus Christ in any of the documents.
jay29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 15:16   #96
jay29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSteelNail View Post
What did you expect? This is the same court that ruled that corporations have the same rights as people.
...and you have a right to destroy an unborn baby!

What does anyone expect?
jay29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 15:16   #97
mhambi
Hegemon
 
mhambi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Phlegethon
Posts: 22,222
Yeah, cause we've never said anything in a treaty out of political expediency to get what we wanted...



... right Native Americans?




Ignoring the religious influence in the founding of our country is as disingenuous as saying it was all because of the Christians.





Edited to add.... Just for disclosure... I think the Supreme Court was right.
__________________
Where nameless men by nameless rivers wander, and in strange valleys die strange deaths alone.

Last edited by mhambi; 06-26-2013 at 15:30..
mhambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 15:17   #98
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member
 
FLIPPER 348's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Bend Oregon
Posts: 21,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialGrape View Post
Well, for the DOMA plaintiff, DOMA cost her $360,000 in estate taxes that she would have been spared had her marriage been recognized. Seems like a pretty good reason to me.

Now she's entitled to that $360,000 back with interest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarCry View Post
Three little words:
In.
ANY.
Sense.

I'm not a legal scholar, but I think "Christian Principals" as a basis would be "in a sense".

No that a few little words have ever mattered to people discussing government documents on this site, right? Like, say, the last few words of the second amendment?

Then why does it say God or our currency and now in our Pledge? .....along with all the other examples in the post I replied to????
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 15:24   #99
JMS
02
 
JMS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 8,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialGrape View Post
Now she's entitled to that $360,000 back with interest.
Does it work retroactively or only from this point forward?
__________________

JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 15:31   #100
jay29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 757
.delete

Last edited by jay29; 06-26-2013 at 15:36..
jay29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Tags
gay agenda, homophobic drama, scary gays, scotus
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:08.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 745
172 Members
573 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42