GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
View Poll Results: Is this a muscle car era?
Yes, its the new muscle era 74 52.86%
No, only the originals are true muscle cars. 66 47.14%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-2013, 07:01   #101
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 View Post
Why would I want to own a modern muscle car when I've drive them in the past when I've worked at car dealerships? A close personal friend owns a car lot that gets them in regularly and I can drive them if I want.

And given the fact that I'm limited to three choices, I'm not impressed - especially the "retro-styling".

So, I'm just gonna go with zero.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:06   #102
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireForged View Post
.....You don't have to remove 5 logic boards and 3 different ECU's to just change the battery. You don't need 3 laptops to fix it once you have changed the battery. LOL
We got some serious ignorance here.

Seriously, I don't know where you're getting your info....but it's, like, ALL wrong.

Last edited by M&P15T; 06-27-2013 at 07:23..
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:33   #103
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr30s View Post
They also wanted to buy it every time it left the garage.
I doubt this. They never made a realistic offer. Everything is for sale; the price is the only negotiating factor. No-one ever made a serious offer.

Just because I tell some guy with a 959 I want to buy his car, doesn't mean I have made a serious offer with serious cash. I may WANT to buy it, but its all blowing smoke up someones butt until money is on the table.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:48   #104
tehan2
NRA & GOAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashgap View Post
Originally Posted by Cashgap
The cars from 1993 look FAR better today than the cars of 1965 did in 1985. Not even close.

I meant, the cars of 1993 have all original body panels after 150,000 miles, all trim intact, etc. The 1965 cars that lasted to 1985 were ready for the rotisserie by then.

By "look", I meant, nearly all original body and unibody intact versus nearly none of original body and unibody intact.

interesting...the '66 in my garage now has all original metal, not a spot of rust. It did however have a repaint in '83 but that was because of a color change not a paint issue

and In '95 I had a misu 300GT vr4 that by '99 had rot holes you couldn't cover with a dollar bill (and mitsubishi said was "normal")
tehan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:58   #105
clarkz71

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2@low8 View Post
COPO = Corporate Office Production Order. Basically stripped but with the best engine/drive train so folks like Yenko could customize them.
Yep, Don Yenko was a Chevy dealer owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
We got some serious ignorance here.
Seriously, I don't know where you're getting your info....but it's, like, ALL wrong.
No, he's right. I'm a Mercedes technician and
when you replace a battery all the warning lights will be on (ABS, SRS, ESP, etc.)
and the auto open/close feature for the windows and sunroof have to be reset.

If you change the battery at Sears you're screwed.

Same thing if a shop does a on the car wheel balance, SRS and Traction control lights come on.

This is on most high line cars, but the newer cars all have many of these features.
G23 gen3 .40/.357 Sig
Florida Glocker #1923

Last edited by clarkz71; 06-27-2013 at 08:00..
clarkz71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:00   #106
Fear Night
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireForged View Post
yep.. GunGuy is correct

a current corvette has a lot less electronics than say a 370Z or M3 and it does have a little something to do with it being a pushrod v8but that's not all of it. I like to point out that its a pushrod v8 mostly because its still a traditional v8 that most people can work on. You don't have to remove 5 logic boards and 3 different ECU's to just change the battery. You don't need 3 laptops to fix it once you have changed the battery. LOL

Cars I have seen at the red light during their era are all the car I have mentioned. My list of cars do not include exotic cars that were not typically owned by the common joe during its particular hay-day.
Have you ever even worked on a modern car in your life? Remove 5 logic boards and 3 ECU's to change a battery, way to be dramatic

Try syncing 4 carburetors with a mercury vacuum synchronizer and you will be begging for fuel injection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
|
Fear Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:07   #107
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkz71 View Post
when you replace a battery all the warning lights will be on (ABS, SRS, ESP, etc.)

Same thing if a shop does a on the car wheel balance, SRS and Traction control lights come on.

This is on most high line cars, but the newer cars all have many of these features.

No one, not one person in this thread, has been discussing "high line cars" like Mercedes. We are talking about sports/muscle/pony cars like Mustangs, Camaros, Corvettes and Chargers.

So, he's completely incorrect.

Maybe POS Mercedes need to be screwed around with after a simple battery change, but that's not surprising.

Last edited by M&P15T; 06-27-2013 at 08:11..
Old 06-27-2013, 08:11   #108
devildog2067

Quote:
I drive a Porsche. When you change the battery, all you have to reset is the radio code.
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:13   #109
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Yep, Don Yenko was a Chevy dealer owner.

And yet with a cheap cable and a laptop, they can be reset by the user.

On M-B, what you are not saying is that to prevent this, you keep power on the system when you change. The reason why everything shuts down is anti-theft. Thieves long ago figured out to disable security systems, pull the power.

Now on the high end cars, if you remove the battery incorrectly, the car knows it and the computer systems require a dealer reboot (or someone with the proper electronics).

If you are a M-B you know that the reason for these are anti-theft.

Oh, and wheel sensors...again...anti-theft. IF someone can't use your wheels, less reason to steal them.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:14   #110
clarkz71

Quote:
No one, not one person in this thread, has been discussing "high line cars" like Mercedes. We are talking about sports/muscle/pony cars like Mustangs, Camaros, Corvettes and Chargers.

So, he's completely incorrect.

Maybe POS Mercedes need to be screwed around with after a simple battery change, but that's not surprising.
Disconnect the battery on a new car for 5 minutes and see what happens.

I've been doing this for 30 years and this
has been the case on many cars since the early 90's.

I'm also an ASE certified master tech.
Many domestic cars have the same features.

How long have you been a automotive technician?
G23 gen3 .40/.357 Sig
Florida Glocker #1923
Old 06-27-2013, 08:17   #111
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Disconnect the battery on a new car for 5 minutes and see what happens.

I've been doing this for 30 years and this
has been the case on many cars since the early 90's.

I'm also an ASE certified master tech.
Many domestic cars have the same features.

How long have you been a automotive technician?
Let me get this straight.

You believe that if I disconnect the battery from my Mustang, or my friend's Camaro, for more than 5 minutes....that.....what? What do you think happens?
Old 06-27-2013, 08:23   #112
Fear Night
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Let me get this straight.

You believe that if I disconnect the battery from my Mustang, or my friend's Camaro, for more than 5 minutes....that.....what? What do you think happens?
It will become completely inoperable and you will have to take it to the dealership. They will be forced to replace the entire computer and re-wire everything.

Trust me, I have been certified in ABC XYZ for over 35 years, and know a lot more than you about the subject.

|
|
|

Last edited by Fear Night; 06-27-2013 at 08:24..
Old 06-27-2013, 08:25   #113
clarkz71

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
And yet with a cheap cable and a laptop, they can be reset by the user.

On M-B, what you are not saying is that to prevent this, you keep power on the system when you change. The reason why everything shuts down is anti-theft. Thieves long ago figured out to disable security systems, pull the power.

If you are a M-B you know that the reason for these are anti-theft.

No, on a Benz you need the SDS, Star Diagnostic Sysytem laptop and software.

Has nothing to do with anti-theft when the car is in the shop for service.

In fact, the new 722.9 transmissions have the ECU built into the valve body and you have to download the vehicle information before you replace it and uplaod it into the new one. AND then you have to get online with MB in Gemany to finish programming the new one. No cheap laptop including the Chinese SDS copy will do that.

You can get a cheap ($1000) copy on e-bay
(look it up) but it's cheaper to pay a hour dealer labor rate unless you are going to do your own work.

If I am a Mercedes Tech??

Call Mercedes Benz of Delray FL, ask for Gary the shop foreman and ask him if Clark is a Mercedes tech. I started in 1982 and have known Gary since 1988.
G23 gen3 .40/.357 Sig
Florida Glocker #1923

Last edited by clarkz71; 06-27-2013 at 08:29..
Old 06-27-2013, 08:28   #114
clarkz71

Any real auto tech's on here, or just opinion based internet experts?

Oh, and the new Chargers and some other Mopars
use a MB transmission (722.6).

Crossfire has many MB parts. Leftover from the MB/Chrysler merger.
G23 gen3 .40/.357 Sig
Florida Glocker #1923

Last edited by clarkz71; 06-27-2013 at 08:37..
Old 06-27-2013, 08:32   #115
Fear Night
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Does the opinion of Engineers count? You know, the guys that actually design and build the cars?

|
|
|

Last edited by Fear Night; 06-27-2013 at 08:32..
Old 06-27-2013, 08:37   #116
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Yeah...didn't think so.

Just talking ****.

You know Mercedes......but that isn't what this thread is about.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:42   #117
devildog2067

Quote:
It will explode. Obviously.
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:44   #118
clarkz71

Quote:
Yeah...didn't think so.

Just talking ****.

You know Mercedes......but that isn't what this thread is about.
You don't know jack about me.

My father started training me in his shop in the 70's.

I started when we rebuilt everything.
Starter's, alternators, generators, wheel cyliders, calipers.

Setting GM points with a hex key and dwell meter. Rebuilding Quadrajets, Carter AFB's.

I built a 65 Cyclone from the ground up that ran high 12's on G60 bias ply tires. I was 15 and didn;t even have my drivers license yet.

Being in the Hamptons many high perf cars came to my dads shop, once even a 427 Cobra (a real one)
G23 gen3 .40/.357 Sig
Florida Glocker #1923
Old 06-27-2013, 08:52   #119
Bill Powell
CLM Number F
Cross Member

I used to hate for people to call me a tech, sounded too much like trek and you find those at star trek conventions. I asked to call me a mechanic cause a mechanic repairs and re-builds and a Tech changes parts.

I know I'm old school and a language throw-back but tech bugs me.

A couple of examples of pre-computer horsepower. A guy named Navarro built a 182 cu in Rambler six that pulled between 550 and 700 hp, depending on the blower configuration.

Smokey Yunick would take a 302 cu in Chevy, using all GM shelf parts, make 495 hp on one four barrel and 525 hp on two four barrels. Yunick's engines were streetable.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:53   #120
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
You don't know jack about me.

My father started training me in his shop in the 70's.

I started when we rebuilt everything.
Starter's, alternators, generators, wheel cyliders, calipers....blah-blah-blah-blah-blah-blah....
True, I don't know jack about you.

More importantly, I don't care to know about you.

WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT MERCEDES IN THIS THREAD!!!

We are talking about modern American muscle/pony cars. Of which you seem to know almost nothing about.

Please just stick to the topic at hand.

Last edited by M&P15T; 06-27-2013 at 09:10..