Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
View Poll Results: Is this a muscle car era?
Yes, its the new muscle era 74 52.86%
No, only the originals are true muscle cars. 66 47.14%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2013, 20:59   #601
RC-RAMIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
Please read for content, then advise me where I am factually wrong.
The statement that it is a ticking time bomb. A properly setup nitrous system is as reliable as a turbo or supercharger.

Sent from my HTC One X using Ohub Campfire mobile app
RC-RAMIE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 21:02   #602
RC-RAMIE

Quote:
True, but irrelevant. If either of the turbochargers on my BMW 335is disintegrates or even destroys the engine, I flip the overhead switch and call BMW Assist who sends out a transporter, takes my car to the dealership and repairs it free under warranty.

Likewise with my brother's LR-V8 Range Rover with the supercharged 5.0 liter engine - if the supercharger causes damage to his engine, it is repaired under warranty.

It either of us is foolish enough to add nitrous, we're on our own repairing very expensive engines.
I wouldn't expect you or him to turn up the boost or modify it while under warranty.

Nitrous is a modification but done right it is just as safe as getting you turbo car tuned for more boost.

Sent from my HTC One X using Ohub Campfire mobile app
RC-RAMIE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 23:36   #603
GVFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr30s View Post
i'm digging the new shoes GV very nice...
Thanks. I couldn't believe how light they were when we were mounting them.

The Okie Corral

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by GVFlyer; 07-24-2013 at 23:39..
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 00:34   #604
GVFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer
The Okie Corral
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdinIII View Post
I really like the looks of this non-muscle car. :D
Thank you. I've been a car guy all my life and I've never felt a car was more on my side than the M3. When you're cornering at over one hundred miles an hour, my 335is feels like it's running on tip toe - like it could go skittering off track at any instant. The M3 just feels planted.

Quote:
I'd love to experience a modern muscle car. I bet I'd come away with a new understanding of what is possible with new technology.
Yep, it's a brand new world out there. I added 58 hp and 83 ft. lbs. torque to the 335is, maintaining it's warranty, with a $2K software download from Dinan to its Digital Motor Electronics. The dealer did it for me at the same time they did the new car prep.

Quote:
I still prefer the looks of the classic muscle cars but I don't like stock cars at all. IMHO they all need at least 17" wheels, brakes, and a good stance. Hopefully the good stance came from new performance oriented suspension components.
I hadn't intended on sharing this, but I had a fully restored Plymouth before I left California for Europe. I sold the Satellite (to my current great regret) and bought a Corvette to take to Europe, not to drive but to sell because the Germans love the plastic pig. Once the Corvette was sold to a Deutscher who looked like a poster boy for the Hitler Youth, I bought my first Porsche 911 - the proper car to be driving in Deutschland. I am still fond of the Plymouth's good looks, but the BMW M3 does everything better.

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:19   #605
Bill Powell
CLM Number F
Cross Member

is that a factory red? sure looks nice.....
Old 07-25-2013, 10:36   #606
GVFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Powell View Post
is that a factory red? sure looks nice.....
Yessir. Bright Red. Chrysler code: DT 3180. Thanks.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:44   #607
Kichigai
気違い Was Mr30s

So Bill you have been around and seen a ton of cars. What would you say were some of your favorites out of all of them? If you could just pick a few.
Kichigai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 13:34   #608
Bill Powell
CLM Number F
Cross Member

Mr30s, you got a couple of hours? For cars I've driven I'd have to go by era.

Up through 1900: 1899 Columbia electric
1900 Milwaukee Steamer, or Locomobile
equivalent

1900 thru 1920: 1909 Mercedes 90 hp skiff
1903 Ford and 1903 Cadillac. ( The
two are virtually identical.)
1917 Chevrolet V-8, or Olds
Rolls Royce Silver Ghosts, any of
them.
Any of the race cars from the teens.
The Bugattis

1921 thru 1940: Any Duesenberg, especially the race
cars.
Cord, Auburn, Stutz, and the 12 cyl
Packard specials.
Any Ford, 32 thru 40
It's a long list.
Any of the Mercedes 500/540K

1941 thru 1950: Ferrari
Delahaye, Delage, Bugatti, straight 8
Bentleys.
Jeep and Jeepster

1951 thru 1970: One of my favorites, Ferrari 250 GTO
Drogo especiale, all the muscle cars,
some of the Vettes, and I really enjoy
the C & D Jags. 67 Chevy short narrow
pickup.............

You know what, it would take two days to do this justice. For pure fun and no practically it would boil down to three cars, the D Jag, 'Ferrari 348 competition, and a 1939 Tommy Lee Special, a late thirties Offenhauser powered roadster based on a 36 Ford platform and built by Frank Kurtis.
Old 07-25-2013, 15:30   #609
GVFlyer

Wow! Just wow!

Old 07-25-2013, 16:08   #610
Kichigai
気違い Was Mr30s

Quote:
Mr30s, you got a couple of hours? For cars I've driven I'd have to go by era.

Up through 1900: 1899 Columbia electric
1900 Milwaukee Steamer, or Locomobile
equivalent

1900 thru 1920: 1909 Mercedes 90 hp skiff
1903 Ford and 1903 Cadillac. ( The
two are virtually identical.)
1917 Chevrolet V-8, or Olds
Rolls Royce Silver Ghosts, any of
them.
Any of the race cars from the teens.
The Bugattis

1921 thru 1940: Any Duesenberg, especially the race
cars.
Cord, Auburn, Stutz, and the 12 cyl
Packard specials.
Any Ford, 32 thru 40
It's a long list.
Any of the Mercedes 500/540K

1941 thru 1950: Ferrari
Delahaye, Delage, Bugatti, straight 8
Bentleys.
Jeep and Jeepster

1951 thru 1970: One of my favorites, Ferrari 250 GTO
Drogo especiale, all the muscle cars,
some of the Vettes, and I really enjoy
the C & D Jags. 67 Chevy short narrow
pickup.............

You know what, it would take two days to do this justice. For pure fun and no practically it would boil down to three cars, the D Jag, 'Ferrari 348 competition, and a 1939 Tommy Lee Special, a late thirties Offenhauser powered roadster based on a 36 Ford platform and built by Frank Kurtis.
yeah i knew it would be difficult but was curious and yeah i have days when it comes to talking about cars, motorcycles, and guns. I think you have some good choices there and dont think i know anyone that would be able to do it by era except for now
Old 07-25-2013, 16:23   #611
di11igaf
ibew

Quote:
Thank you. I've been a car guy all my life and I've never felt a car was more on my side than the M3. When you're cornering at over one hundred miles an hour, my 335is feels like it's running on tip toe - like it could go skittering off track at any instant. The M3 just feels planted.

Yep, it's a brand new world out there. I added 58 hp and 83 ft. lbs. torque to the 335is, maintaining it's warranty, with a $2K software download from Dinan to its Digital Motor Electronics. The dealer did it for me at the same time they did the new car prep.

I hadn't intended on sharing this, but I had a fully restored Plymouth before I left California for Europe. I sold the Satellite (to my current great regret) and bought a Corvette to take to Europe, not to drive but to sell because the Germans love the plastic pig. Once the Corvette was sold to a Deutscher who looked like a poster boy for the Hitler Youth, I bought my first Porsche 911 - the proper car to be driving in Deutschland. I am still fond of the Plymouth's good looks, but the BMW M3 does everything better.

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral
Wow, that is sexy.
Old 07-25-2013, 19:27   #612
Bill Powell
CLM Number F
Cross Member

this is the 1899 Columbia electric.
Attached Thumbnails
The Okie Corral - Click for larger version   The Okie Corral - Click for larger version   The Okie Corral - Click for larger version   The Okie Corral - Click for larger version  
Old 07-25-2013, 19:30   #613
Kichigai
気違い Was Mr30s

what originally powered the motors? its not like you could go to sears and get a few car batteries back then.
Old 07-25-2013, 20:07   #614
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Lead acid battery... Pretty common

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 07-25-2013, 20:47   #615
Kichigai
気違い Was Mr30s

wow one of these sold for$550,000 in 2011

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...000-in-auction

Between the motor and the chain drive was a transmission with three forward and two reverse speeds. Twenty batteries manufactured by Exide Batteries, also associated with Electric Vehicle Company, were placed above both axles in order to balance the weight.
Old 07-25-2013, 22:40   #616
Bill Powell
CLM Number F
Cross Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr30s View Post
wow one of these sold for$550,000 in 2011

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...000-in-auction

Between the motor and the chain drive was a transmission with three forward and two reverse speeds. Twenty batteries manufactured by Exide Batteries, also associated with Electric Vehicle Company, were placed above both axles in order to balance the weight.
That's the one I used to drive. I posted photos of the driver's seat and interior.

lead acid batteries from the 1830's on. usually a wooden box, or glass. On this car there is a sliding tray under the passenger compartment for the batteries We had 22 electric cars and they all ran,

A lot of the electric car owners are changing over to electric golf cart technology.
Old 07-25-2013, 23:03   #617
Snaps
Hail 2 The King

I wasn't alive for the 60's, but I think a lot of the cars looked a lot better. That being said, the new ones are just generally better, more HP and more comfortable with more options. Of course, if I was to buy one it'd probably be a classic
Old 07-26-2013, 00:40   #618
TransAm-98

Quote:
Originally Posted by di11igaf View Post
The reason people use e85 is because it is for all intents and purposes cheap high-octane race gas. Its roughly 110 octane(the 85 is just the ethanol percentage), it burns cool, and its way cheaper than race gas. You can run lots of timing(more timing=more power, to a point) and still be detonation free, unlike 87. Lower octane gas does not burn cooler. There would be no benefit only downsides to running 87 octane with nitrous as opposed to 93 or higher. The biggest factor in any power adder(whether the o2 is added chemically with nitrous or mechanically with a blower, more fuel is needed either way) is preventing detonation/ pre ignition which will instantly melt pistons. Higher octane fuel has to be added to prevent this.

The only problem with e85 is it is so effective(slow burning, less btu's) it only has 2/3 the energy of regular gas. HUGE injectors and big twin fuel pumps are needed. I'm running twin fuel bumps with boosted voltage with 80lb injectors (this is quite a nasty fuel set up), and I still wouldn't be able to run e85.

All that said its not for me either, only cause I don't feel like refilling the bottle every other day.(I wouldn't be able to help myself)

Just to clarify, E85 actually has a Faster burn rate than standard race gasses. It catches people off guard because while the octane rating is there, it will actually take less timing. Race gasses normally shine because of their slower burn rate. It does have the cooling benefits you mentioned, but oddly enough does not like to run very well on a cold motor. It's also very inconsistent when bought from the pump. A much beefier fuel system is needed to run E85 especially in a boosted application. Just sharing some info that we've learned on the last E85 build we worked with.

Everything else you've said, I agree with. We build rock solid power adder and N/A cars for people all the time. A lot of them see a ton of miles and daily driver duty. But the fact of the matter is, if you want piece of mind just leave it alone and enjoy it.

... Unless you have a C6 Z06, then you have to worry about dropping an exhaust valve at any given point and endding up with an LS7 for a paper weight.
TransAm-98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:18   #619
Kichigai
気違い Was Mr30s

Quote:
That's the one I used to drive. I posted photos of the driver's seat and interior.

lead acid batteries from the 1830's on. usually a wooden box, or glass. On this car there is a sliding tray under the passenger compartment for the batteries We had 22 electric cars and they all ran,

A lot of the electric car owners are changing over to electric golf cart technology.
The Okie Corral
Old 07-26-2013, 09:03   #620
Bill Powell
CLM Number F
Cross Member

That thing was so elegant, and an absolute PITA to drive. I know it was state of the art for 1899. It could have just as easily been a horse drawn coach, and was probably designed originally to be one. The ladies embraced the electrics cause they didn't have the strength to hand crank an engine, and didn't want to get their bustle burnt off trying to start a steamer. With the electrics they just flipped a switch and boogied.

There were about 124 manufacturers of electric cars, up through about 1938. They also built gas/electric hybrids back then.