GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
View Poll Results: Is this a muscle car era?
Yes, its the new muscle era 74 52.86%
No, only the originals are true muscle cars. 66 47.14%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-26-2013, 17:41   #41
Heckler&Koch

Man I just got to go in a ride with a 69 427 Camaro so fun. The Okie Corral The Okie Corral
The Okie Corral
Old 06-26-2013, 17:42   #42
tehan2
NRA & GOAL

I don't think many will argue that cars today are faster and handle better. Technology is better, that is true.

that said, I think what's missing from "today's" cars is soul....The new "muscle" is nice, but really doesn't do it for me. Maybe in 40 years I'll think differently about them, but I doubt it.

I like old American cars, and new Euro cars. And with a few exceptions new American or old Euro miss the boat for me

Last edited by tehan2; 06-26-2013 at 17:44..
tehan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 17:50   #43
paulbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireForged View Post
a 500 hp Honda is simply not anything like owning a 1970 cuda
You're right it's not. A 500hp Honda would be WAY faster.

If you ever get the chance to go for a ride in something that weighs less than 3000lbs with that much power it's quite the experience.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
paulbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 18:01   #44
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
If you look, a corvette has as "computer" as any car out there. A pushrod engine has no less electronics that an double over head cam engine. The difference is mechanical.

What is a car you see at a red light?
Actually, you are wrong about that. Most DOHC engines do have more sensors than pushrod engines.
Old 06-26-2013, 18:10   #45
I'M Glockamolie

If I'm going to just look at it, or maybe take it around the block on a joy ride, I'd probably go for an icon from '69-70. If I have to drive it as my daily or even more than once a week to a Saturday local show, I'd want one from today. It'll get me there, relatively rattle-free, with a/c blowing, comfortable seats, AND most anything considered a muscle car of today will beat most anything from 40 years ago in every category of performance.
Old 06-26-2013, 18:26   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrGlock View Post
What I'm really getting a kick out of are those who talk about muscle cars yet keep mentioning pony cars.

General Lee - Charger - Muscle Car
Hemi'Cuda - Pony Car

As long as we're getting pedantic
You're right. The current Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger are pony cars. Four doors are not muscle cars, so the Charger is out. So I guess, there aren't any true muscle cars being produced today.

Muscle.
The Okie Corral

4 doors NOT a muscle car
The Okie Corral

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.

Last edited by 427; 06-26-2013 at 18:27..
427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 18:38   #47
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehan2 View Post
I like old American cars, and new Euro cars. And with a few exceptions new American or old Euro miss the boat for me
I wouldnt miss the boat on one of these....

The Okie Corral

And dont let anyone see this...but the new ZR1 is a pretty neat car that I wouldnt mind...and the CTS-V
Old 06-26-2013, 18:39   #48
Bill Powell
CLM Number F
Cross Member

The car considered by many to be the first American muscle is the supercharged 1932 Duesenberg. It would do 102 mph in second gear and 130 mph in third. In 1935 a relatively stock Duesenberg ran for 24 hrs, averaging a little over 135 mph.
Old 06-26-2013, 18:52   #49
tehan2
NRA & GOAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehan2 View Post

Quote:
I wouldnt miss the boat on one of these....

The Okie Corral

And dont let anyone see this...but the new ZR1 is a pretty neat car that I wouldnt mind...and the CTS-V

you've hit a few of the exceptions I was speaking

Last edited by tehan2; 06-26-2013 at 18:53..
tehan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 19:13   #50
BEER
bad example

a whole ****load of you are not just wrong but dead wrong.

you're trying to compare then and now. example a 1970's camaro vs. a current camaro.

what your nostalgia blinds you to is the fact that the camaro of the 60's-70's was the top of the line, high end tech of it's day in that price bracket, just like the current camaro is to this generation.

in 30 years the 2013 camaros, challengers, chargers, dart, and vettes will be just as sought after to that generation as the old school versions are to us, and for the exact same reasons.

don't be a moron and diss this current generation because it's not your grandaddy's muscle car, be smart and invest in what you can afford and then store it away for future generations.

imagine finding an all original, matching #'s 1965 mustangwith 120 miles showing in a barn. you can set that up for yourself or your future kids if you buy a current gen "muscle car" now and put it up.
Old 06-26-2013, 19:13   #51
FireForged
Millenium #3936

Quote:
If you look, a corvette has as "computer" as any car out there. A pushrod engine has no less electronics that an double over head cam engine. The difference is mechanical.

What is a car you see at a red light?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilgunguygt View Post
Actually, you are wrong about that. Most DOHC engines do have more sensors than pushrod engines.
yep.. GunGuy is correct

a current corvette has a lot less electronics than say a 370Z or M3 and it does have a little something to do with it being a pushrod v8but that's not all of it. I like to point out that its a pushrod v8 mostly because its still a traditional v8 that most people can work on. You don't have to remove 5 logic boards and 3 different ECU's to just change the battery. You don't need 3 laptops to fix it once you have changed the battery. LOL

Cars I have seen at the red light during their era are all the car I have mentioned. My list of cars do not include exotic cars that were not typically owned by the common joe during its particular hay-day.

Last edited by FireForged; 06-26-2013 at 19:30..
FireForged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 19:25   #52
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership
®

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr30s View Post
I should have made this a poll so that people could vote on old vs new muscle car
A poll of old vs new muscle car would be interesting.

The new area of cars obviously has advantages so I wouldn't be surprised if they'd win the poll, but...

For me using computers, electronics, sensors, etc... on todays cars just isn't the same as a purely mechanical beast with great lines & excellent style.

I'm old school, original, classic, etc... all the way here!
OldSchool64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 19:26   #53
Cashgap

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEER View Post

you're trying to compare then and now. example a 1970's camaro vs. a current camaro.

what your nostalgia blinds you to is the fact that the camaro of the 60's-70's was the top of the line, high end tech of it's day in that price bracket, just like the current camaro is to this generation.

in 30 years the 2013 camaros, challengers, chargers, dart, and vettes will be just as sought after to that generation as the old school versions are to us, and for the exact same reasons.

don't be a moron and diss this current generation because it's not your grandaddy's muscle car, be smart and invest in what you can afford and then store it away for future generations.

imagine finding an all original, matching #'s 1965 mustangwith 120 miles showing in a barn. you can set that up for yourself or your future kids if you buy a current gen "muscle car" now and put it up.
I admire the sentiment, but you are wrong.

The cars of the sixties are valuable today partly because they were so poorly made. It took a great deal of care, possible mothballing, or restoration to have one that remained desirable thirty years later.

A 1965 Mustang driven 10,000 miles per year was garbage by 1977, while a 2004 Mustang driven 10,000 miles per year remains reliable good looking transportation today.

The $4k spent on that new '65 Mustang invested in even the broad market would a few perfect examples today, not counting the tremendous storage expense.

Romantically, I get it. They look good, they sound good. Good investments? Seldom. Good cars? Eh, for the time. Good performance? Think modern V6 SUV as a benchmark. And for folks of the era, they are a nostalgia trigger.

Remember though, the youth of today are less car focused and don't live in the era of cars that decompose in ten years. Someone who wants a '93 Camaro can pick from 80% of them ever built, all on Craigslist cheap.

The "time capsule" fantasy has never worked on an NPV basis, and likely never will.
Cashgap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 19:46   #54
FireForged
Millenium #3936

Quote:
don't be a moron and diss this current generation because it's not your grandaddy's muscle car
Im not, my Grandaddy was born in 1907.. I am talking about cars of the 1960s.

Fast doesn't make it a muscle car.. if you don't understand what I mean by that, I cant explain it. My Wifes Altima can beat my 1969 Camaro in the quarter mile but that Altima is not a muscle car.

Last edited by FireForged; 06-26-2013 at 19:49..
Old 06-26-2013, 20:00   #55
Restless28

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
Originals for nostalgia and cool factor.

New ones for reliability, performance, and longevity.
Right on.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 20:02   #56
Restless28

IIRC, the V6 Camrys can run with any of the older muscle cars.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 20:05   #57
FireForged
Millenium #3936

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless28 View Post
IIRC, the V6 Camrys can run with any of the older muscle cars.
Sure they can... they can probably beat most muscle cars of the 60s in the quarter mile but they are not muscle cars and nobody is gonna be kool in a camry.

Last edited by FireForged; 06-26-2013 at 20:06..
Old 06-26-2013, 20:06   #58
Kevin108
HADOKEN!

The difference with old muscle cars is that they were ABLE to be restored. The thin sheet metal and plastic crap on the modern cars is not going to hold up long-term. When today's cars are 40 years old, they won't be worth fooling with.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Kevin108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 20:09   #59
FireForged
Millenium #3936

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
The difference with old muscle cars is that they were ABLE to be restored. The thin sheet metal and plastic crap on the modern cars is not going to hold up long-term. When today's cars are 40 years old, they won't be worth fooling with.
I recently found a 1986 Conquest TSI that was in a garage and darn near turned to dust. I had hopes to restore it but there was just no way. Down the street there is a 1955 chevy that has been sitting under a pine tree for 40 years that is in better shape.

Last edited by FireForged; 06-26-2013 at 20:09..
Old 06-26-2013, 20:27   #60

Quote:
No, you are wrong.

Quote:

Yeah, and...

Quote:
No, you are wrong again. I'll give you an example: 20 years ago, the ZR1 came out. It was the "king of the hill". Is that same ZR1 going up in value today? I seem to remember muscle cars, big block muscle cars going up in prices in the late 80's early 90's.

Almost 30 years later, no one cares about, early 80's F-bodies, and vettes.

Quote:
don't be a moron and diss this current generation because it's not your grandaddy's muscle car,
Yes, call people names when they don't agree with your opinion.

Quote:
be smart and invest in what you can afford and then store it away for future generations.
Today's cars won't last 30 years. I have a 30 year old Z/28. Plastic, doesn't stand up too well.

Quote:
No, I'd rather have an original.

Thanks.

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.

Last edited by 427; 06-26-2013 at 20:49..
427 is offline   Reply With Quote