Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
View Poll Results: Is this a muscle car era?
Yes, its the new muscle era 74 52.86%
No, only the originals are true muscle cars. 66 47.14%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll


 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 15:19   #461
GVFlyer
Senior Member
 
GVFlyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Somewhere in the air.
Posts: 7,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Powell View Post
DanaT, what years did you road the 125 cc bike. A friend and co-worker raced from the mid-sixties to the mid-seventies riding Yamaha 4 stroke, Honda, and Kawasaki. He and his partner, Frank Camillieri raised some serious hell.
Ángel Nieto owned the One-Two-Five class.
__________________
The Truth Only Hurts If It Should.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 15:31   #462
Kichigai
気違い Was Mr30s
 
Kichigai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,052
this is going to be my next toyThe Okie Corral
Kichigai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 15:51   #463
SGM_Brown
Senior Member
 
SGM_Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr30s View Post
this is going to be my next toyThe Okie Corral
Nice bike...and being a BMW, I'm sure it's affordable.
SGM_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 15:54   #464
SGM_Brown
Senior Member
 
SGM_Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 210
You-all remember when lots of folks were dropping Chevy motors into jeeps?

The Okie Corral
SGM_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 17:30   #465
Bill Powell
CLM Number F
Cross Member
 
Bill Powell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: dallas, tx
Posts: 9,003
Blog Entries: 23
I ran into one auto designer/builder.................Who likes beer.
Attached Thumbnails
The Okie Corral - Click for larger version   The Okie Corral - Click for larger version   The Okie Corral - Click for larger version   The Okie Corral - Click for larger version  
__________________
Stoicism is nothing to get excited about....
Bill Powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 18:14   #466
Kichigai
気違い Was Mr30s
 
Kichigai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,052
those are really good
Kichigai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 18:18   #467
GVFlyer
Senior Member
 
GVFlyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Somewhere in the air.
Posts: 7,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Powell View Post
I ran into one auto designer/builder.................Who likes beer.
Or at least beer cans.
__________________
The Truth Only Hurts If It Should.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 22:34   #468
DanaT
Pharaoh
 
DanaT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: CO & Baden –Württemberg
Posts: 16,934
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
Is this the car that the Bentley was chasing?

The Okie Corral
Yes.

We did not know what two guys in their 20s did for a living to have those kind of cars. With Russian plates and going into Switzerland we suspected it probably wasn't legal.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 00:55   #469
GVFlyer
Senior Member
 
GVFlyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Somewhere in the air.
Posts: 7,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr30s View Post
this is going to be my next toyThe Okie Corral
Great bike. 193hp from 999cc is pretty outrageous.

I went the other way - going from a lightweight sport bike to a 669 lb cruiser with no discernible horsepower.

The Okie Corral

I had an unexpected and thoroughly enjoyable encounter with a Honda CB1000R this evening. I had gone to the Harley dealer in my BMW M3 because I wanted to buy stuff and if I'm going to carry anything on my Super Glide it has to fit in my wallet.

On the way home, there is a 55 mph limited access service road that I like to Banzai. Each segment of the road parallels the East-West interstate and connects the North-South farm-to-market highways that cross over the interstate. The service road segments begin and end with a high speed sweeper in each direction and each segment between the highways is a little more than 3 miles long. There is never any traffic on these things because everyone is on the 6 lane interstate.

I had begun the first road segment practicing throttle induced oversteer as I accelerated through the wide sweepers. As I came into the flat, the aforementioned Honda came into view about 100 meters ahead of me doing about 40 mph. At the speed I was carrying he appearing to be parked. I scrubbed off the speed and dropped in behind the bike intending to pass when I could see far enough down the road to do so.

He then noticed that I was behind him, a fact that must of annoyed him, because he began to haul ass away from me at a rate that suggested that he had no intention of stopping when he achieved the 55 mph speed limit. I'm always up for the deal, so I floored the Bimmer. Initially, he pulled me a little. I'm not sure how fast I got going to close the gap because I was totally outside the car as I had only the first level of nannies off - I started at about 40 mph and accelerated for about 20 seconds, then I noticed that I had a sizable overtake. My M3 makes 150 mph in 22 seconds from a standing start, so I figure I was cooking.

I heated up the 14.2 inch brake discs to drop down and match his speed. He was doing around 135 mph. He slowed down as we approached the first turn of the esses. Just prior to leaning it over, he turned around to see where I was - expecting to see me about two miles back. Instead, I was right behind him waiving.

He apparently thought that this was okay, because he gave me a big thumbs up. We did this twice more on the next two nearly identical road segments.

He was leaning the bike over far enough to get road rash on his boots, but I was faster than the Honda through the turns. On the flats, the CB1000R was faster than I was to 100 mph, but the M3 seemed to be faster from 100 mph to 150 mph... and the Honda appeared to be all undone at 150 mph (or that's just as fast as he wanted to go). At 150 mph, the M3 has another 30 mph on tap.

All and all, it was great fun and gave me an intense desire to move back to Germany where I could once again do this sort of thing legally with no possibility of ending up making license plates for the state.
__________________
The Truth Only Hurts If It Should.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by GVFlyer; 07-16-2013 at 07:58..
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:36   #470
Kichigai
気違い Was Mr30s
 
Kichigai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
Great bike. 193hp from 999cc is pretty outrageous.

I went the other way - going from a lightweight sport bike to a 669 lb cruiser with no discernible horsepower.

The Okie Corral

I had an unexpected and thoroughly enjoyable encounter with a Honda CB1000R this evening. I had gone to the Harley dealer in my BMW M3 because I wanted to buy stuff and if I'm going to carry anything on my Super Glide it has to fit in my wallet.

On the way home, there is a 55 mph limited access service road that I like to Banzai. Each segment of the road parallels the East-West interstate and connects the North-South farm-to-market highways that cross over the interstate. The service road segments begin and end with a high speed sweeper in each direction and each segment between the highways is a little more than 3 miles long. There is never any traffic on these things because everyone is on the 6 lane interstate.

I had begun the first road segment practicing throttle induced oversteer as I accelerated through the wide sweepers. As I came into the flat, the aforementioned Honda came into view about 100 meters ahead of me doing about 40 mph. At the speed I was carrying he appearing to be parked. I scrubbed off the speed and dropped in behind the bike intending to pass when I could see far enough down the road to do so.

He then noticed that I was behind him, a fact that must of annoyed him, because he began to haul ass away from me at a rate that suggested that he had no intention of stopping when he achieved the 55 mph speed limit. I'm always up for the deal, so I floored the Bimmer. Initially, he pulled me little. I'm not sure how fast I got to because I was totally outside the car as I had only the first level of nannies off - I started at about 40 mph and accelerated for about 20 seconds, then I noticed that I had a sizable overtake. My M3 makes makes 150 mph in 22 seconds from a standing start, so I figure I was cooking.

I heated up the 14.2 inch brake discs to drop down and match his speed. He was doing around 135 mph. He slowed down as we approached the first turn of the esses. Just prior to leaning it over, he turned around to see where I was - expecting to see me about two miles back. Instead, I was right behind him waiving.

He apparently thought that this was okay, because he gave me a big thumbs up. We did this twice more on the next two nearly identical road segments.

He was leaning the bike over far enough to get road rash on his boots, but I was faster than the Honda through the turns. On the flats, the CB1000R was faster than I was to 100 mph, but the M3 seemed to be faster from 100 mph to 150 mph... and the Honda appeared to be all undone at 150 mph (or that's just as fast as he wanted to go). At 150 mph, the M3 has another 30 mph on tap.

All and all, it was great fun and gave me an intense desire to move back to Germany where I could once again do this sort of thing legally with no possibility of ending up making license plates for the state.
And that is stock which i can never leave well enough alone they can be made to be very fast. As for the rest of your activities i can not condone such behavior
Kichigai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:38   #471
Jade Falcon
49er Loyal
 
Jade Falcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Vancouver, WA.
Posts: 4,163
My father had a 1964 Ford Galaxy 500XL with a 390ci Big Block. He inherited it from his Grandfather, my great-grandfather. The car is long-gone, but I well remember the days when I used to ride in that car. I miss it so much! My father took me to my first baseball games (Major League and little-league) in that car, and the rumble of that monster V8 under the hood was quite something. It wasn't a speed-demon by any means, but it was certainly a muscle car! I wish Ford would come out with a modern version of the Galaxy, complete with a 390ci option.

At one time, for a few years, we also had (though this was much later in life) a 1967 Pontiac Bonneville. I believe it had a 400ci Small Block under the hood, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a 420-ish Small Block of some sort. The car was massive! Also long gone, but not forgotten. The Pontiac didn't have nearly as much sentimental value as my GGF's Ford Galaxy. But it was very clean and, while we had it, it was fun to cruise around in occasionally. My father eventually sold the Pontiac to his Tatoo Artist, who then sold it in New Orleans somewhere. I never saw it again.

My father sold the Galaxy in the mid 90's, before we moved north from California to Washington. He had the car restored almost completely to show-room condition, and one night, somebody pushed it down the street and stripped the car apart. It broke my father's heart, and I don't think he's ever completely recovered from it. Secretly, it has been a dream of mine to hunt the car down, wherever it may be (if it even still exists somewhere), and make a documentary about finding it and giving it back to my father. I'd call it: "In search of the Galaxy 500". But alas, it's just a fantasy.
__________________
AK-47 WASR 10/63, Puma M92 16" .454 Casull, Glock 22 .40 S&W, Marlin M60W .22 LR, Ruger GP100 4" .357 Magnum, Winchester M1400 12 ga.
Jade Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:49   #472
Kichigai
気違い Was Mr30s
 
Kichigai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,052
I LOVE BIG BLOCKS
Kichigai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:01   #473
GVFlyer
Senior Member
 
GVFlyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Somewhere in the air.
Posts: 7,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Falcon View Post
My father had a 1964 Ford Galaxy 500XL with a 390ci Big Block. He inherited it from his Grandfather, my great-grandfather. The car is long-gone, but I well remember the days when I used to ride in that car. I miss it so much! My father took me to my first baseball games (Major League and little-league) in that car, and the rumble of that monster V8 under the hood was quite something. It wasn't a speed-demon by any means, but it was certainly a muscle car! I wish Ford would come out with a modern version of the Galaxy, complete with a 390ci option.

At one time, for a few years, we also had (though this was much later in life) a 1967 Pontiac Bonneville. I believe it had a 400ci Small Block under the hood, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a 420-ish Small Block of some sort. The car was massive! Also long gone, but not forgotten. The Pontiac didn't have nearly as much sentimental value as my GGF's Ford Galaxy. But it was very clean and, while we had it, it was fun to cruise around in occasionally. My father eventually sold the Pontiac to his Tatoo Artist, who then sold it in New Orleans somewhere. I never saw it again.

My father sold the Galaxy in the mid 90's, before we moved north from California to Washington. He had the car restored almost completely to show-room condition, and one night, somebody pushed it down the street and stripped the car apart. It broke my father's heart, and I don't think he's ever completely recovered from it. Secretly, it has been a dream of mine to hunt the car down, wherever it may be (if it even still exists somewhere), and make a documentary about finding it and giving it back to my father. I'd call it: "In search of the Galaxy 500". But alas, it's just a fantasy.
What great memories to have!
__________________
The Truth Only Hurts If It Should.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:39   #474
Jade Falcon
49er Loyal
 
Jade Falcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Vancouver, WA.
Posts: 4,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
What great memories to have!
Thank you so much! I've done some searching online, and this is as close a picture as I've come up with:

[IMG]http://axsoris.com/uploads/barrett-jackson.com*staging*carlist*items*Fullsize*Cars*125205*125205_Front_3-4_Web.jpg[/IMG]

Some differences include: a slightly darker Rose Beige Paint Job, and lacking the "wheel-cover" over the rear wheels. Also, the top was black, as was the leather interior inside. Had a 4-barrel (not the 2 of the smaller 289-350ci models), and an automatic transmission on the tree (steering column). There were two engine options in the 390ci category: 300hp, and 315hp; both 4-barrel-standards. I'm not sure which of these two my GGF/father's Galaxy had though. However, either one is an impressive engine!

The other similarities in this picture are striking: our Galaxy had the same wire-spoke hubcaps (my sister and I painted the red-white-blue emblems on the hubcap's centers, as well as a couple other emblems that needed touching up in paint. My father then had them installed on the car; a personal touch that, at the time, I failed in my young age to grasp that this showed his love for his children that he wanted displayed on the car) and graceful lines as this one.

I miss that car SO much. We only have 2 color photos of the car in it's glory, which I'll try to take pictures of with my cell phone (hopefully, they come out okay). When I do, you can bet I'll post them here. There's also a buried VHS tape of a walk-around/interior video of the car, parked on the curb of a park during one of my little-league games, which a friend's father made briefly at the time. It's about 3 minutes long. If I ever get a chance to convert it to digital format, I'll post it online to my YouTube account.

You can also bet that, if by some miracle I somehow find OUR Galaxy someday, regardless of it's condition, I will cry. Oh yes, I will bawl like a child.

Because of this car, my family, most especially me, have all been devout Ford fans our entire lives. We've had good luck with:

-1996 Ford Windstar (3.8 DPI V6, still with us at 140,000+ miles)
-Early 90's Ford Thunderbird (long gone!)
-2004 Ford Escape
-2005 Ford Fusion (company issued car; no longer with us)
-Early 90's Ford Escort Wagon, which my mother drove for years before buying the (then new) 1996 Ford Windstar.
-Early 90's Ford Taurus, which was a disastrous Lemon, which my father fought with the dealership for months before they finally gave him a new Ford Thunderbird (stated above). I don't remember the exact years, but I want to say 1990-91.

So, as you can see, we're Ford-loyal. At least I am! My parent's have drifted away slightly with a couple other cars, but I remain Ford-loyal, and will be until the day I die. I'm hoping I can save up enough money to sell off this POS Kia Rio I currently drive, and buy a retired Police Interceptor, which I can customize over time (I've seen a guy on YouTube who put a 5-speed manual in his from a SVT Cobra; it's badass).
__________________
AK-47 WASR 10/63, Puma M92 16" .454 Casull, Glock 22 .40 S&W, Marlin M60W .22 LR, Ruger GP100 4" .357 Magnum, Winchester M1400 12 ga.

Last edited by Jade Falcon; 07-16-2013 at 08:41..
Jade Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:55   #475
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn
 
Dennis in MA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Taunton, MA
Posts: 54,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Falcon View Post
My father had a 1964 Ford Galaxy 500XL with a 390ci Big Block. He inherited it from his Grandfather, my great-grandfather. The car is long-gone, but I well remember the days when I used to ride in that car. I miss it so much! My father took me to my first baseball games (Major League and little-league) in that car, and the rumble of that monster V8 under the hood was quite something. It wasn't a speed-demon by any means, but it was certainly a muscle car! I wish Ford would come out with a modern version of the Galaxy, complete with a 390ci option.

At one time, for a few years, we also had (though this was much later in life) a 1967 Pontiac Bonneville. I believe it had a 400ci Small Block under the hood, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a 420-ish Small Block of some sort. The car was massive! Also long gone, but not forgotten. The Pontiac didn't have nearly as much sentimental value as my GGF's Ford Galaxy. But it was very clean and, while we had it, it was fun to cruise around in occasionally. My father eventually sold the Pontiac to his Tatoo Artist, who then sold it in New Orleans somewhere. I never saw it again.

My father sold the Galaxy in the mid 90's, before we moved north from California to Washington. He had the car restored almost completely to show-room condition, and one night, somebody pushed it down the street and stripped the car apart. It broke my father's heart, and I don't think he's ever completely recovered from it. Secretly, it has been a dream of mine to hunt the car down, wherever it may be (if it even still exists somewhere), and make a documentary about finding it and giving it back to my father. I'd call it: "In search of the Galaxy 500". But alas, it's just a fantasy.
No. You'd call it "From a Galaxie, Far Far Away!"
__________________
The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd.
Dennis in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:56   #476
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.
 
kirgi08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Acme proving grounds.
Posts: 27,803
Blog Entries: 1


__________________
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:50   #477
GVFlyer
Senior Member
 
GVFlyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Somewhere in the air.
Posts: 7,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Falcon View Post
Thank you so much! I've done some searching online, and this is as close a picture as I've come up with:

The Okie Corral
Classic car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Falcon View Post
...
So, as you can see, we're Ford-loyal. At least I am! My parent's have drifted away slightly with a couple other cars, but I remain Ford-loyal, and will be until the day I die. I'm hoping I can save up enough money to sell off this POS Kia Rio I currently drive, and buy a retired Police Interceptor, which I can customize over time (I've seen a guy on YouTube who put a 5-speed manual in his from a SVT Cobra; it's badass).
I like Ford and their management team. I delivered a bunch of airplanes to them and did entry-into-service flights for them before they closed their flight department under pressure from the Obama administration.

To their great credit, they took no money from the government and didn't screw the bond holders as GM did...and they build a solid automobile.
__________________
The Truth Only Hurts If It Should.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by GVFlyer; 07-16-2013 at 09:51..
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 13:41   #478
Bill Powell
CLM Number F
Cross Member
 
Bill Powell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: dallas, tx
Posts: 9,003
Blog Entries: 23
One of my favorite 'Ford passenger cars I ever had was a 65 Galaxie four dr sedan. It had the 390 engine, factory four speed, and heavy duty rear axle like optional on some 9 pass wagons and heavy duty cars. Damn, that car would run.
__________________
Stoicism is nothing to get excited about....
Bill Powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 13:48   #479
GVFlyer
Senior Member
 
GVFlyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Somewhere in the air.
Posts: 7,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
Yes.

We did not know what two guys in their 20s did for a living to have those kind of cars. With Russian plates and going into Switzerland we suspected it probably wasn't legal.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
I just asked my Magic 8 Ball, "What's the likelihood that Russian twenty-something guys driving quarter of a million dollar cars are into pharmaceutical distribution, girls or guns?" It replied, "It is certain."

__________________
The Truth Only Hurts If It Should.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 15:54   #480
Bill Powell
CLM Number F
Cross Member
 
Bill Powell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: dallas, tx
Posts: 9,003
Blog Entries: 23
Does anyone remember the Daimler sp250? Seems like a couple of British sports car builders were sitting around wondering what those Yankee chaps would like in a sports car. They decided that if you made the fins big enough, and put on enough chrome, and made it ugly enough, those yanks would surely buy it. The sp250 was the result of this brainstorming.

It has a fiberglass body, and a typical English frame, two pieces of pipe and some ladder bars. The coolest thing about it was a little 164 cu in hemi V-8 engine. Damned thing would run about 130mph.
Attached Thumbnails
The Okie Corral - Click for larger version   The Okie Corral - Click for larger version  
__________________
Stoicism is nothing to get excited about....
Bill Powell is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:42.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,096
310 Members
786 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31