GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
View Poll Results: Is this a muscle car era?
Yes, its the new muscle era 74 52.86%
No, only the originals are true muscle cars. 66 47.14%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-30-2013, 13:21   #251
Bill Powell
CLM Number F
Cross Member

Why do most modern cars have fat asses and a stupid tapered roof line. They just restyled the Land Rover and made it look like that Kia with the fat assed dancing rats. And don't tell me state of the art on that one. It's copy-cat styling. Jaguar just came out with a new sports car. It looks like someone welded the front of an Audi to the back of a BMW Z roadster and painted it.
Old 06-30-2013, 13:23   #252
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

A agree on the big butt look, not a fan.

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 13:37   #253
Liquid Sword

I've noticed a general trend in new vehicles of extremely reduced visibility (to the point of being dangerous) for some supposed styling purpose.

My folks bought a new Chevrolet Cruze, and one simply cannot see out the back window. There is no looking over your shoulder for a lane change... only mirrors. To some, that's fine. To me, it isn't.

Case in point:

Cruze

The Okie Corral

Dodge Dart

The Okie Corral

And for one of the worst offenders, the Hyundai Veloster (ugh... *shudder)

The Okie Corral

What happened to being able to see 360 degrees around the vehicle? You know... so you can ****ing drive the damn thing safely?!
Liquid Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 14:35   #254
Bill Powell
CLM Number F
Cross Member

I not just voicing this as a red neck prejudice against modern. I've discussed it with who with car styling for a living, and they don't like it and can't think of a reason for it.
Old 06-30-2013, 16:14   #255
ChallengerSRT

I posted this on another thread here, but for those people that insist that the earlier muscle cars were the balls, watch this video of a "state of the art" vintage muscle car. Give me a break!
ChallengerSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 17:35   #256
Bill Powell
CLM Number F
Cross Member

What break should we give you? What point are you trying to make?
Old 06-30-2013, 17:47   #257
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr30s View Post
I should have made this a poll so that people could vote on old vs new muscle car The Okie Corral
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool64 View Post
A poll of old vs new muscle car would be interesting.

The new area of cars obviously has advantages so I wouldn't be surprised if they'd win the poll, but...

For me using computers, electronics, sensors, etc... on todays cars just isn't the same as a purely mechanical beast with great lines & excellent style.

I'm old school, original, classic, etc... all the way here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr30s View Post
hey is there a moderator that can add a poll to this and make it a poll thread also? I couldnt figure out how to make a poll. If possible maybe 2 choices. Yes its the new muscle era and No only the originals are true muscle cars.

Can anyone help? Please
WTF... where the hell is a mod when you need one?

Someone report this post, that'll get their attention.

Old 06-30-2013, 18:36   #258
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership

Quote:

Done

Old 06-30-2013, 18:44   #259
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership

Old 06-30-2013, 18:45   #260
vettely

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerSRT View Post
I posted this on another thread here, but for those people that insist that the earlier muscle cars were the balls, watch this video of a "state of the art" vintage muscle car. Give me a break!
1969 Charger 500 - 426 Hemi - vintage road test - YouTube
Wow, 7mpg
Old 06-30-2013, 18:52   #261
mixflip

Its amazing how a V6 Camaro of today has basically the same HP numbers as the V8s of the 60's. Plus the V8 of today are better on gas and more reliable if you drive out of town to go to a car show. or what not.

Upgrade to a V8 and a the modern muscle cars are simply more practical as a daily driver than the 60's cars.

The big down side is that the cars today are not as affordable as the 60's cars were to the younger generation they were marketed for.

The muscle cars today are basically for 40+ year olds with a disposable incomes. Thats not who they were made for in the 60's.

Last edited by mixflip; 06-30-2013 at 18:52..
mixflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 19:05   #262
Liquid Sword

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixflip View Post
Its amazing how a V6 Camaro of today has basically the same HP numbers as the V8s of the 60's. Plus the V8 of today are better on gas and more reliable if you drive out of town to go to a car show. or what not.

Upgrade to a V8 and a the modern muscle cars are simply more practical as a daily driver than the 60's cars.

The big down side is that the cars today are not as affordable as the 60's cars were to the younger generation they were marketed for.

The muscle cars today are basically for 40+ year olds with a disposable incomes. Thats not who they were made for in the 60's.
You aren't in your teens or twenties, are you? Base Mustangs and Camaros today are for teens/college students with rich parents.
Old 06-30-2013, 19:43   #263
Mrs. VR
Administrator

I can add a poll but someone will need to tell me exactly what it needs to say, and I probably won't be able to get to it for a day or so as I'm dealing with funeral stuff here. Pm me the info.

90/9/1

Mrs. VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 20:07   #264
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership

I've sent a PM

Mr30s (the OP) doesn't seem to be here now

Last edited by OldSchool64; 06-30-2013 at 20:11..
OldSchool64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 21:15   #265
John B

When I was a kid I built up a 66 Dodge Cornet, fully built 383 twin 650 holly doubles on an offenhauser tunnel ram, Hooker headers, fully built trany with a 3000 rpm stall conveter, 3:91 full posi gears, hurst dual gate shifter. The engine detal list is quite long. It would do wheelies from a stand still. I built it with my own money. There is nothing like driving a machine like that, and nothing is cooler than driving around a car with two 650 Holly double pumpers sticking a foot above the hood. Oh I almost forgot, it got nearly four mpg.
John B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:43   #266
Kichigai
気違い Was Mr30s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerSRT View Post
1969 Charger 500 - 426 Hemi - vintage road test - YouTube
Well the car is fast but def needs different tires it has no traction and it certainly dosnt handle like the new ones. but still a clissic.
Quote:

i already have an infraction

Quote:
Done
thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. VR View Post
I can add a poll but someone will need to tell me exactly what it needs to say, and I probably won't be able to get to it for a day or so as I'm dealing with funeral stuff here. Pm me the info.
Thank you and sorry for your loss and trouble
Quote:
I've sent a PM

Mr30s (the OP) doesn't seem to be here now
Thank you sir
Kichigai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:23   #267
Bill Powell
CLM Number F
Cross Member

Let me do a poll right now.

Question: Which is better, new muscle cars or old ones?

Answer: Young guys like new stuff and old guys like old, and some new.

Solution: No one is going to change anyone's mind so let's just agree to disagree, and drop it.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:39   #268
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkz71 View Post
Maybe for some, I like them because they "feel" good to look at, remind me of a better time,
I felt good driving my 65 Cyclone.

I didn't care what anyone thought looking at me.
Yup. Has nothing to do with "being seen." I still jump a mile when someone beeps at me in my Malibu. I'm not out looking for compliments. And DANG doesn't every Chevy interior made from 1965-1980 smell the same. Gotta be off-gasing from the vinyl or something. I love that smell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Powell View Post
Why do most modern cars have fat asses and a stupid tapered roof line. They just restyled the Land Rover and made it look like that Kia with the fat assed dancing rats. And don't tell me state of the art on that one. It's copy-cat styling. Jaguar just came out with a new sports car. It looks like someone welded the front of an Audi to the back of a BMW Z roadster and painted it.
Because modern guys like big butts, they cannot lie. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Sword View Post
I've noticed a general trend in new vehicles of extremely reduced visibility (to the point of being dangerous) for some supposed styling purpose.

My folks bought a new Chevrolet Cruze, and one simply cannot see out the back window. There is no looking over your shoulder for a lane change... only mirrors. To some, that's fine. To me, it isn't.

Case in point:

Cruze

The Okie Corral

Dodge Dart

The Okie Corral

And for one of the worst offenders, the Hyundai Veloster (ugh... *shudder)

The Okie Corral

What happened to being able to see 360 degrees around the vehicle? You know... so you can ****ing drive the damn thing safely?!
Now hold it. Go drive a 60's or 70's Big 3 car and tell me it has visibility. I hate backing up old cars.

Quote:

Solution: No one is going to change anyone's mind so let's just agree to disagree, and drop it.
In 30 years, I can't see the "young" guys waxing nostalgic over an 89 Mustang or a 93 Camaro. I seriously think the whole "classic car" thing has a model-year-end-date. You can take ANY car from the 40's. ANY car from the 50's. VIRTUALLY ALL cars from the 60's and about 1/2 the cars from the 70's to a show and get positive comments. Not so much the 80's and 90's.

And I still say the new cars are NOT muscle cars, they are homage cars, at best. (And I still like some of them some of the time. Wish they made a full-size again. 4 seats don't work for me.)
Old 07-01-2013, 07:43   #269
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:

Define "better"

You say "better" but then switch to "like"

As an example, I "like" a Porsche 993 Turbo better than a 996 Turbo. There is no objective performance category that the 996 is not better in.
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:21   #270
Liquid Sword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post

Now hold it. Go drive a 60's or 70's Big 3 car and tell me it has visibility. I hate backing up old cars.

In 30 years, I can't see the "young" guys waxing nostalgic over an 89 Mustang or a 93 Camaro. I seriously think the whole "classic car" thing has a model-year-end-date. You can take ANY car from the 40's. ANY car from the 50's. VIRTUALLY ALL cars from the 60's and about 1/2 the cars from the 70's to a show and get positive comments. Not so much the 80's and 90's.

And I still say the new cars are NOT muscle cars, they are homage cars, at best. (And I still like some of them some of the time. Wish they made a full-size again. 4 seats don't work for me.)
I think you're exactly right about 80s-90s domestics, but let me tell you... I think foreign cars of the 90s were pretty much the apex of mechanical character. They're "modern" enough by today's standards, but have enough of that mechanical charm that you can work on yourself without ten different kinds of special (expensive) tools.

This is a muscle car thread, and I'm sorry, but I've gotta make one off-topic statement... (Most) Domestic guys are going to hate foreign cars. That's just how it is. If you do, stop reading.

I drive a '97 Accord. It's no muscle car, but guess what? It's a 5 speed manual. It's reliable as a hammer. It gets 35 highway. It handles better than any 4 door sedan should (or maybe they all should handle that well). The car's not a sports car by any means, but it's responsive in every category like a sports car. Transmission is smooth, clutch is responsive, steering is responsive, and the best part... The point I was trying to make from the start... is that I can see EVERYTHING... In every direction. The damn A-pillars aren't so huge you can't see the apex or around a turn. Visibility is better in this vehicle than anything else I've been in. Castrol even fielded them in a Japanese domestic road racing circuit.
The Okie Corral

Bill, you're probably right that most young guys will like new stuff, and most older guys will like older stuff, but if you're a true gearhead... if oil and gasoline run through your veins, and you dream of christmas trees or apexes (if you're American, you might have to look that term up), one can see mechanical beauty in all different forms.

Last edited by Liquid Sword; 07-01-2013 at 08:22.. Reason: removing a generality
Old 07-01-2013, 08:25   #271
Dukeboy01
Pretty Ladies!

I've had both: a 1969 Camaro Coupe with a 2- barrel 350 and my current hot rod, a 2002 Camaro SS T- top.

I'll take the new(er) one any day for the advances in rust proofing alone.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:26   #272
slick64

This is Glocktalk.....we'll never agree as a group, except for perhaps 2A rights.

Whatever model of anything that we personally own be it....car, truck, gun, mattress, smartphone, you name it.... is always the best, and every one else is wrong.
slick64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:33   #273
Liquid Sword

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick64 View Post

Whatever model of anything that we personally own be it....car, truck, gun, mattress, smartphone, you name it.... is always the best, and every one else is wrong.
Damn right.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:34   #274
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Red Barchetta. Rush can write songs, but they have math problems. He's a kid going off to take his uncle's car out for a drive after they are illegal. And the uncle saved it FOR HIM for 50-odd years. LOL

Forget the fact that he has to take crap off of it IF HE'S THERE EVERY SUNDAY and it's in a barn. And how does one crazed uncle maintain all the hoses and fluids of a 50 year old car? Where does one get gas after "the Motor Law."

I love the song, but still chuckle at the logic of it. Or lack thereof.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:36   #275
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeboy01 View Post
I've had both: a 1969 Camaro Coupe with a 2- barrel 350 and my current hot rod, a 2002 Camaro SS T- top.

I'll take the new(er) one any day for the advances in rust proofing alone.
Tru-dat! Cars rusted inside of 5 years back in the day. You can submerge them in the Pacific for a decade now and not have a hint of rust. But that's ALL cars, not "modern """"muscle"""" cars".