Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
View Poll Results: Is this a muscle car era?
Yes, its the new muscle era 74 52.86%
No, only the originals are true muscle cars. 66 47.14%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-2013, 17:40   #181
copo9560

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 View Post
I'll bet there are few people who know what your user name means without googling.

That's OK by me. If you know what it means you are likely an older guy that was a gear head earlier in life. Folks who don't probably don't know what points did in a distributer either.
copo9560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 17:53   #182
DanaT
Pharaoh

This had almost no electronics on it.....

Well a few solenoids. Electronic ignition. Battery. Charging system. Starter. Not mush more.

The Okie Corral
I never agreed to be
Your holy one
DanaT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 17:53   #183
69HEMI-R/T

I know what his name "427" means and also your name "copo9560". Chebby guys, I suppose!

Yeah, I am definitely old enough to know what setting the points meant! I changed many a set of points in my life although it was quite a while ago. When I first got my Charger (70's) I put a dual-point Mallory without a vacuum advance in it and it ran fantastic! Mine, now, has a billet distributor without vacuum advance, a MSD Digital 6 ignition system with MSD wires and it is pretty much foolproof after setting it up correctly.

All the wiring in the Charger is set up to return to an original dual-point ignition and coil very easily. I prefer the new-technology ignition in it now for cruising! I have the original distributor for the Charger but it definitely needs a rebuild.
Old 06-27-2013, 19:44   #184
Bill Powell
CLM Number F
Cross Member

What are points? The only points I ever saw in a distributor used to point that little copper disc at me and laugh at me when I tried to adjust them.
Old 06-27-2013, 19:57   #185
vettely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Powell View Post
What are points? The only points I ever saw in a distributor used to point that little copper disc at me and laugh at me when I tried to adjust them.
On my 69 Corvette I installed a MSD 6A and that worked phenomenal.
Old 06-27-2013, 20:44   #186
Batman355

I love the 60's muscle cars but there's no queston that today's "muscle" are a lot better built and handle a hell-of-a lot better----but they just don't have the soul of the oldies.
I came home from VN and bought a 3 year old 426/4-speed/am radio 2-door hardtop-wish I had it today. Now I own a 4-door hemi/automatic and a 1937 Ford Coupe (street rod).
Batman355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 21:25   #187
Liquid Sword

Having never understood the American fascination of going straight for 10 seconds at a time, or turning left for three hours, I've enjoyed the suspension/handling technology that's made today's cars so much more enjoyable. Today's cars of "moderate" power output (200+ HP ) are much faster than the most bad-ass muscle cars of the 60s/70s because they handle.

I'm about to use an example here that the red-blooded Chevy/Ford guys will cringe at, but consider the Mazda Miata, Subaru BR-Z, or any similar "entry level" sports car on the market today. 200+ HP in a package that handles well enough to leave many race cars of days past in the dust, and still return 25-30mpg makes a much more interesting car than an overweight pig that negates it's 400HP via two tons of pork to move.

I guess that had I been a young person through the muscle car era, I'd be in the Lotus/Datsun-ish crowd. The death of the Trans-Am racing series was a horrible blow to racing diversity in America.
Liquid Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 21:26   #188
Liquid Sword

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
This had almost no electronics on it.....

Well a few solenoids. Electronic ignition. Battery. Charging system. Starter. Not mush more.

The Okie Corral
Is that a Suzuki Bandit?
Liquid Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 21:56   #189
elsolo

Quote:
There used to be a car club in Calif called the L.A. Street Racers. The first Fast And Furious movie was very loosely based on this club. The leader of the pack was a black guy named Big Willie. Willie drove a big Dodge Charger like the driven by Vin Diesel. The only qualification for getting into this was to have an honest to God 10.50 in the quarter car. There were a lot of cars in that club.
Also keep in mind, mid 10's were not so common 20 years ago on narrow tire street cars.

Big Willie got us a dragstrip opened up at terminal island in Long Beach back in the early 90's. "Brotherhood Raceway" and they would NOT show your ET or MPH on the board because it was a track for street racers. I took my Chevelle there almost 20 years ago, and I wish it was opened up again because I live just a couple miles away now.
elsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:23   #190
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid sword View Post
is that a suzuki bandit?
gsxr-11
I never agreed to be
Your holy one
Old 06-28-2013, 07:31   #191
clarkz71

Well now I HAVE to post up mine.

1340cc with all the goodies. 9.87@148 mph.

The Okie Corral
G23 gen3 .40/.357 Sig
Florida Glocker #1923
clarkz71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:48   #192
69HEMI-R/T

Sweet bike! My brother used to race scooters back in the 70's and his 1000 Kawasaki would do 10.20's at around 128 in the quarter which, considering no fairing and mirrors upright on their stalks was pretty fast. This was his street bike and his race-only bike was much faster.

He always told me it was pretty easy to get a good "leave" out of the hole, it was the top-end that was a little scary!

Nice and fast GSX. I would not want to be on it at the "Big end" of the quarter mile.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:49   #193
Bill Powell
CLM Number F
Cross Member

Actually I do know a little about points. I do know they're just a mechanical switch that allows the capacitor to do its job. It had to do that job for a very precise period of time, and at a precise point in time. That point in time was ideally the exact moment the piston reached top dead center.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:00   #194
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkz71 View Post
Well now I HAVE to post up mine.

1340cc with all the goodies. 9.87@148 mph.

The Okie Corral
Not many people have any clue what 1st gen GSXR was.

To tie this back into the modern car/old car. The difference between my GSXR and a "modern" bike was night and day. My GSXR made 165rwhp sans nitrous and then I was using between 0.23 jets (+80ish hp) and 0.28 jets (+112ish hp).

The old bike was fast but just didnt "work" that well. High compression killed starters. Batteries had to be almost new. The frame would get hot to the touch idling in any sort of traffic for a few minutes. It turned like a ship.

The Okie Corral

I sold the GSXR one year after getting a modern bike. The modern bike was fast enough and could be easily ridden. One click to start it. Runs perfectly. And more than fast enough.

Same thing with modern cars. You drive them and realize just how much better they are. I was totally impressed with "my" new BNW 320d. It is about 180hp but cruises at 135mph with no problem. I never felt that the car was going too fast. I would take a 180hp car where I can drive 125mph for two hours and get out not feeling worn out over a one of these old muscle cars (where after 2 minutes at 125mph you would be scared to death) any day.

But I guess it depends if someone wants to look cool or if someone really likes to drive.
I never agreed to be
Your holy one
Old 06-28-2013, 08:19   #195
69HEMI-R/T

Well, I am retired and in no hurry to go anywhere! If I was in a hurry, plenty of autos would cruise at 125mph or better.

I'll take looking cool and cruising along at reduced speeds every time now.

Going fast today in one of the new soulless ****boxes the auto market is putting out today might be comfortable, but it will NEVER be cool!

Out of the roughly 80,000 1969 Chargers made, about 465 of them were Hemi-powered from the factory. I feel sure you have never driven one or you might sing a different tune.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:27   #196
clarkz71

The old slabside GSXR's handled well......in the late 80's
but technology really jumped when the 96 750 came out.

I've had many sportbikes since the 87 1100. This is my last
one. It's a 1 of 500 limited edition R1 built for homologation
in AMA racing.

The Okie Corral
G23 gen3 .40/.357 Sig
Florida Glocker #1923
clarkz71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:29   #197
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05shadow View Post
I just cant call new cars muscle cars...to me, a new charger is nothing but a family car.

Even tho I owned a 98 Mustang GT (completley custom from engine to rims) I still prefer old school muscle cars. Ill never forget going for a ride in a 69SS camaro...
Agree. The Charger looks like a slightly modified 300. And I've driven a 300 and disliked it.

BUT. . . if they ever offered a factory convertible Charger, they might just get me to bite. Something about it. Looks more like a late 60's Camaro than anything MOPAR.

Quote:
Naw, dennis in MA, that other one.

Car and Driver had a list of about 60 muscle cars in five categories. full size, mid sized, pony, compact, and truck, leaving the baddest pickup of all, the 440 Dodge.
Oh. I was close.

Quote:
Actually I do know a little about points. I do know they're just a mechanical switch that allows the capacitor to do its job. It had to do that job for a very precise period of time, and at a precise point in time. That point in time was ideally the exact moment the piston reached top dead center.
Sigh. Tahp-dead-cennah.

The Okie Corral

She could adjust my timing anytime. Even in that silly floral-print catsuit thing.

Last edited by Dennis in MA; 06-28-2013 at 09:29..
Dennis in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:04   #198
Bill Powell
CLM Number F
Cross Member

Eric thinks she's a pretty special woman person.

I don't know if this discussion is fair to either era. They represent two different eras of automotive development. The engineers did, and always have, built what the public demanded. Down through the decades they offered economy, and had the efforts crammed down their throats. From 1950 thru '55, or so, Chrysler offered 4 wheel disc brakes that would stop a 5500 lb limo time after time without fading. They died of public apathy. There was not a great need for handling in this country when you could get on I-10 on the outskirts of Jacksonville and not encounter a stop sign for three thousand miles.

What good are super handling and good stopping cars when 95 per cent of the drivers incompetent, inattentive, and depending on the car to save them from themselves.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:08   #199
GVFlyer

Quote:
Didn't most folks run some "advance" - setting the points to fire, say 10 degrees before top dead center?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:12   #200
GVFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkz71 View Post
The old slabside GSXR's handled well......in the late 80's
but technology really jumped when the 96 750 came out.

I've had many sportbikes since the 87 1100. This is my last
one. It's a 1 of 500 limited edition R1 built for homologation
in AMA racing.

The Okie Corral
Nice bike.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote