Tewwowist

Caught Spying on Student, FBI Demands GPS Tracker Back

The last bits are the best
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...acking-device/
Old 12-30-2013, 22:15   #2
itisbruno
CLM Number 103
Devious Member

I'd tell them to go pound sand, they abandoned it on my vehicle and it is mine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
daily to give food for animals in a shelter or sanctuary...for FREE
itisbruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 22:22   #3
Dave514

Mixed feelings.

Thanks for the link.
Dave514 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 22:26   #4
GVFlyer

“It seems very frightening that the FBI have placed a surveillance-tracking device on the car of a 20-year-old American citizen who has done nothing more than being half-Egyptian”.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 22:31   #5
Diesel_Bomber

Obviously more going on than what was reported.

Diesel_Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 22:36   #6
RenoF250

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisbruno View Post
I'd tell them to go pound sand, they abandoned it on my vehicle and it is mine.

Yeah, they don't get it back. Sell it on eBay, with the story it should get a good price. If they want it they can be highest bidder.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 22:41   #7
Syclone0538

Ship it to China.
Syclone0538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 23:05   #8
Deltic

Stick it on a greyhound bus. It's a tracking device they should be able to find it.
Deltic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 23:10   #9
ClydeG19

Welcome to 2010. The court case they refer to has even been heard and overturned by Scotus since then.
ClydeG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 23:18   #10
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
“It seems very frightening that the FBI have placed a surveillance-tracking device on the car of a 20-year-old American citizen who has done nothing more than being half-Egyptian”.
That would be true...if it was true.

The same could have been said about those residents of a friendly nation, whose only crime was being muslim, until they flew planes into the world trade center. The same could have been said about those brothers who moved here looking for a better life, prior to the day they bombed the finish line of the Boston Marathon.

What people don't seem to understand is that nobody in law enforcement is intentionally wasting their time making up pretend criminals. Guess what the police have to do if there are no criminals for them to catch? Nothing, they just get paid to hang around. They are not "at will" employees - they don't get fired or laid off if crime declines. Collectively, they are always doing far more than they are required to do to get paid.

Sometimes they may end up being wrong, but they don't bother with you, especially to this extent, unless they have a good reason to put out the effort. To start an investigation like this and have it come up wrong makes the agents waste time, do unnecessary work and look bad to their superiors, all of which they try to avoid.

The FBI is famous, among law enforcement, for turning down even good cases unless they are far closer to sure things than regular police hold out for.

Last edited by Bren; 12-30-2013 at 23:19..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:02   #11
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post

The same could have been said about those residents of a friendly nation, whose only crime was being muslim, until they flew planes into the world trade center. The same could have been said about those brothers who moved here looking for a better life, prior to the day they bombed the finish line of the Boston Marathon.

What people don't seem to understand is that nobody in law enforcement is intentionally wasting their time making up pretend criminals. Guess what the police have to do if there are no criminals for them to catch? Nothing, they just get paid to hang around. They are not "at will" employees - they don't get fired or laid off if crime declines. Collectively, they are always doing far more than they are required to do to get paid.

Sometimes they may end up being wrong, but they don't bother with you, especially to this extent, unless they have a good reason to put out the effort. To start an investigation like this and have it come up wrong makes the agents waste time, do unnecessary work and look bad to their superiors, all of which they try to avoid.

The FBI is famous, among law enforcement, for turning down even good cases unless they are far closer to sure things than regular police hold out for.
Ummm... I hate to disagree, but you're talking about the organization founded by J.Edgar Hoover, right? Their first mission was collecting dirt to serve a political agenda. These are the same guys who spent the sixties trying to get dirt on MLK. Just sayin'. LEOs may not be interested in "wasting their time", but historically, throughout the world, they haven't always been disinterested in abusing their power. As someone already pointed out, this case is a dead issue, but it's still good for a laugh.

Last edited by RagnarDanneskjold; 12-31-2013 at 01:04..
RagnarDanneskjold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:16   #12
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:

Chances are, this guy was dirtier than a rancher's boots. That said, in a country where vets returning from war are described by the government as potential terrorists, I think we should all be outraged at some of the practices of our federal LE agencies.

There are more important things than catching terrorists and just because a judge says they can do it doesn't mean its right.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:19   #13
wjv

Attach it to a city PD vehicle and let the FBI chase it for a couple weeks. . .

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:38   #14
Fred Hansen
Liberal Bane

Quote:

Was that the same FBI that went after Republican Lewis "Scooter" Libby, even though they already knew that Democrat Richard Armitage was the source of the Democrat Valerie Plame (non*) leak to the Democrat Robert Novak? Or a different FBI?

*Convicted spy and Democrat, Aldrich Hazen Ames blew Valerie Plame's cover in the late 1980s in his capacity as one of the U.S.S.R.'s most valuable agents. The idea that she had a cover left to blow in 2003 is laughable at best.

Quote:
When Reagan was elected, I felt that the Agency had gone much more into the service of a political tendency in the country with which I had already felt very strong disagreement.

Aldrich Hazen Ames

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/au...dIiGwXPbL4X.99
When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. - George Santayana
Fred Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:35   #15
GVFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydeG19 View Post
Welcome to 2010. The court case they refer to has even been heard and overturned by Scotus since then.
Yep, I was chumped. Due diligence failure for not checking the date on the posted article. I found the Supreme Court Decision with its findings based primarily on the 4th Amendment; do you know how CAIR/Yasir Afifi's suit against the FBI was settled?

GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:06   #16
frank4570
Feral human

"His discovery comes in the wake of a recent ruling by the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals saying it’s legal for law enforcement to secretly place a tracking device on a suspect’s car without getting a warrant, even if the car is parked in a private driveway."

No warrant needed, even on private property.

For too long people have said "screw NY, IL, etc" or "that'll never happen here." Yes, it will eventually. If we dont start standing up together now, it will never stop.-ilgunguygt
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:33   #17
Atlas
transmogrifier

Quote:

Perhaps, but...

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-h...ouie-louiequot

The FBI spent 2-1/2 years investigating the lyrics of the old R&R song "Louie Louie".

http://www.snopes.com/music/songs/louie.asp

30 months of taxpayer-funded laboratory audio investigation, guys in white lab-coats holding clipboards...

FBI field agents interrogated the members of the band "The Kingsmen", who messed endlessly with the investigating agent's heads....

The most egregious wild-goose-chase witch-hunt in American LEO history.... There is most definitely a lesson there for us all.

<posted with the greatest respect for hard-working, law-abiding LEOS and FBI agents everywhere... It's a tough job, and somebody's gotta do it. Better you than me.>

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY

Last edited by Atlas; 12-31-2013 at 07:04..
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:00   #18
walt cowan

stick it next to the three others under the mayors car.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:31   #19
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syclone0538 View Post
Ship it to China.
I was thinking that as well... but you know as well as I do, as soon as it was tracked to UPS or Fed Ex, or wherever here in the US... they'd be there opening packages. That'd probably be the main issue w/ eBay as well.
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:11   #20
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syclone0538 View Post
Ship it to China.
I would have shipped it somewhere fun...