Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-24-2013, 14:45   #1
Zombie Surgeon
MODELATOR

Calling all GT green thumbs: can you identify this tomato disease?

I have six heirloom tomato plants in a raised bed filled with potting soil. They all do well and the crop yield is better than I ever had managed to obtain from tomatoes planted in regular garden soil. Right now the fruits are fully grown but still green, I would estimate another 2-3 weeks until harvest.

Over the last couple of days I noticed two tomatoes growing on two different plants being affected by this dark, moldy disease. They caught my attention because I noticed the affected fruits top side turned red while all other tomatoes around them are still green. One plant is a Paul Robeson, the other a Stupice heirloom. Both are drip watered.
Any idea what is causing this disease?

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

Also, I have this large sized mushrooms grown next to the raised bed. Any of you guys can recognize what they are?

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

Last edited by Zombie Surgeon; 07-24-2013 at 14:50..
Zombie Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 14:57   #2
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

I will try to look up the mushroom when I get home. Knowing your general location will help. I don't need specific, but northwest will be a different book than say south east.
Old 07-24-2013, 14:58   #3
cannoneer

Look up Blossom end rot
cannoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 15:08   #4
mnotlyon

Yep, looks like blossom end rot. They say it's caused by too much (or irregular) water, or not enough calcium.
My raised beds get it pretty bad at the beginning of the season, even though I add oyster shells every year.
I suspect, in my case, and maybe yours too (because of the mushrooms), that it is caused by too much fertilizer. When I built my beds just a couple of years ago, I used nearly 100% composted horse manure that a neighbor gave me. I think my plants are growing too fast.
mnotlyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 15:11   #5
mnotlyon

BTW, it's not as bad as it looks.

Pick your mater's when they're ripe, or nearly ripe. wash them, and slice them, throwing away the nasty part. The red part is good to eat. If you leave them on the counter very long, the nasty part will grow leaving you with nothing you can use.

My problems with blossom end rot tend to go away during the later part of the year, when things start growing slower.
Old 07-24-2013, 15:13   #6
Zombie Surgeon
MODELATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnotlyon View Post
Yep, looks like blossom end rot. They say it's caused by too much (or irregular) water, or not enough calcium.
My raised beds get it pretty bad at the beginning of the season, even though I add oyster shells every year.
I suspect, in my case, and maybe yours too (because of the mushrooms), that it is caused by too much fertilizer. When I built my beds just a couple of years ago, I used nearly 100% composted horse manure that a neighbor gave me. I think my plants are growing too fast.
Last week I changed the watering duration from 18 min to 10 min a day because the weather cooled down. Do you think that may have caused it?

Last edited by Zombie Surgeon; 07-24-2013 at 15:16..
Old 07-24-2013, 15:15   #7
Zombie Surgeon
MODELATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
I will try to look up the mushroom when I get home. Knowing your general location will help. I don't need specific, but northwest will be a different book than say south east.
Los Angeles
Old 07-24-2013, 15:48   #8
mnotlyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Surgeon View Post
Last week I changed the watering duration from 18 min to 10 min a day because the weather cooled down. Do you think that may have caused it?
I'm not sure. I'm still trying to figure it out myself. I've only been dealing with it for a couple of years.
Old 07-24-2013, 16:30   #9
JimmyN

Yep, that's blossom end rot. Throw the tomatoes out and eat the mushrooms. And it appears you've planted your mushrooms too close together

It can be from lack of calcium, but more often it comes from change in moisture levels. Cutting back on the water may have done it, you cut the moisture level almost in half.

There is a trick that helps a lot in preventing that, though it's too late now that the plant has grown. Next spring when you set the plants out in the garden bury them deep. Trim off all the leaves leaving only a few at the top so the root ball is down 12" or more. Tomatoes will root anywhere the stem contacts the earth, so when planting deep you'll have roots growing out laterally all the way up what used to be the "stem" and it will help even out moisture changes.
Old 07-24-2013, 16:41   #10
Zombie Surgeon
MODELATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyN View Post
Yep, that's blossom end rot. Throw the tomatoes out and eat the mushrooms. And it appears you've planted your mushrooms too close together

It can be from lack of calcium, but more often it comes from change in moisture levels. Cutting back on the water may have done it, you cut the moisture level almost in half.

There is a trick that helps a lot in preventing that, though it's too late now that the plant has grown. Next spring when you set the plants out in the garden bury them deep. Trim off all the leaves leaving only a few at the top so the root ball is down 12" or more. Tomatoes will root anywhere the stem contacts the earth, so when planting deep you'll have roots growing out laterally all the way up what used to be the "stem" and it will help even out moisture changes.
I increased the watering time from 10 to 13 minutes today and will increase it with one minute every following day until reaching 18 minutes. I hope it will help.
Old 07-24-2013, 17:14   #11
Kevinr20

Herpes
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samuel Adams, August 20, 1789
Kevinr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 17:21   #12
Zombie Surgeon
MODELATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinr20 View Post
Herpes
Very helpful. :rolleyes:

Sent from my free Obamaphone you creepy *** cracka' iz payin' fo'

Last edited by Zombie Surgeon; 07-24-2013 at 17:21..
Old 07-24-2013, 19:15   #13
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

I think it is Smooth Lepiota, which the book says is edible. But there are some look a likes. I am not positive on my ID.
Old 07-24-2013, 20:37   #14
Zombie Surgeon
MODELATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
I think it is Smooth Lepiota, which the book says is edible. But there are some look a likes. I am not positive on my ID.

The cap is very soft, velvety to the touch.
I won't eat them anyway.
Old 07-24-2013, 20:42   #15
Kevinr20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Surgeon View Post
Very helpful. :rolleyes:

Sent from my free Obamaphone you creepy *** cracka' iz payin' fo'
No charge.
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samuel Adams, August 20, 1789
Kevinr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 00:24   #16
Zombie Surgeon
MODELATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinr20 View Post
No charge.
Ain't worth a penny anyway.