Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:29   #1
ParabellumChambered

The down side of Frog Lube?

So with Frog Lube, one heats the slide and or frame (depending on polymer or metal) and brushes on the lube as it melts in. The idea is that as you use the weapon and the slide becomes hot, the lubricant once again becomes fluid and, lubricates the weapon. Now... has anyone thought about the first few shots before the slide begins to heat up? O.o It seems as if the gun would be running dry until it heats up and therefore wearing down the metal. What are your thoughts?
ParabellumChambered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:40   #2
ken grant

Warm it,apply FL, let cool and lightly wipe excess.

Plenty of lub left.
ken grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:43   #3
Lampshade

The thought has crossed my mind as well, especially as Frog Lube says you can wipe it all off and run your gun dry.

So I emailed them to clarify and they're like "Yes, you can do that, but also follow your manufacturer directions..."

Well, I don't know a gun manufacturer that would be ok with one running a gun "dry," so I found the response rather double speakish.

I've been trying to find out how most FL'ers do it... seems a lot do leave some on the contact points and don't actually wipe it all off.
Lampshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:12   #4
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

No better or worse than rem-oil or other run of the mill gun oils. With snake oils, the gimmick in how you apply it and purported "dry lubrication" properties are the selling points. Frog lube is fine. Just not any better than the basics. IIRC, it falls short in corrosion protection, but not as badly as militec-1.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:56   #5
Clusterfrack

FL paste is pretty slippery even when cold. In winter conditions I haven't had any problems shooting ARs and Glocks lubed with FL. That's not much of a surprise.

I have seen problems with FL in a few other guns though--apparently due to a lack of sufficient lubrication. My .22 trainer (a Ruger Mark 3) isn't reliable with FL but works great with Weaponshield. A buddy's Benelli M4 also doesn't like FL but is flawless with Weaponshield. The problem appeared to be in the ARGO system.

My conclusion is that FL is excellent at soaking up carbon in ARs and other guns, and is a mediocre lubricant. I'll keep using it in those guns, but stick with conventional oil based lubes in guns that have tighter tolerances.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:54   #6
robotoid

I bought some FL, used it on a couple guns (Glock 27 and Ruger MKIII). Didn't like it on the Glock, made the trigger pull feel different, made the exterior of the slide icky feeling to touch, and I could smell it carrying the gun. Still on the innerds of the SS Ruger MKIII until the next time I detail strip it, then it will be stripped off and gone. My main issue is if you need emergency lube in the field, you can't use any oil based product after you've used the FL. And then I saw the pic's somewhere on the net of the inside of someone's FL'd gun with mold growing. EEWWW. They had a hell of a subtle marketing campaign though, I'll give them that, got me to buy some. Lesson learned.
robotoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:58   #7
WayneJessie

Seems like there is a running thread about FL on every gun forum known to man. Someone is raking in the cash that's for sure.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:58   #8
Ryobi
SummertimeRules

Gimmick. But not necessarily problematic. Definitely not better than many commonly used lubes.
Ryobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:58   #9
ArmoryDoc

Seems like it is on everyones mind so it's getting product recognition. I've not used it but I have used Weapon Shield gun grease and know for certain it is slicker than you know what. And, rubbed into a finish it retards any hint of oxidation.

No reason for me to switch from Weapon Shield when the stuff works like it does, which is excellent. I do however hope that everyone uses Frog Lube, that way the price stays down on WS.
ArmoryDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:00   #10
ParabellumChambered

It seems as though most of you share the same opinion. I think the job can be accomplished with other products while saving a lot of money. I put Hoppe's gun oil on my SigP226, a gun of tight tolerances, and it runs smoothly. I don't see the need to spend the extra money on FL. Thanks guys
ParabellumChambered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:47   #11
WayneJessie

I'm of the opinion that if you are having issues with rust or galling you should try something else but if your gun care regiment works and you have neither issue you may want to look at spending the extra money elsewhere.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:17   #12
tango44

FL Paste on my G26 every month and then I clean and lube with the liquid CLP, Glock runs fine, no other thing needed!
tango44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:13   #13
M&P15T
Beard One

Why be so concerned over such things as lube?

Seriously, any standard oil will work. I use some Mobil1 for lubing my firearms. One bottle will probably last me decades.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:23   #14
tango44

Try it feel the difference!
tango44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:31   #15
JBP55

Mobil 1.
JBP55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:15   #16
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

Duplicate.

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 08-16-2013 at 11:15..
Bill Lumberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 21:47   #17
Wolfdad

I've used Hoppe's gun oil on Glocks, 1911's, Sig's, Kahr's and a few other brands over many years with excellent results. I'll stay with what I know works for me. If FL works for you, and you don't see evidence of galling or corrosion and the gun cycles reliably, then it's probably fine. Personally, I don't think there's anything special about FL.
Wolfdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 23:06   #18
blastfact

The hell with all these over priced gun lubes. It's all snake oil doing it's best to part you from your money.

I use M1 0W-20 and there grease on everything I shoot. Lube is not a issue here at the shack.
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 23:36   #19
ShallNotBeInfringed
NRA Business Al

Lock the slide open on any new Glock and what do you see?

Another question, how do you get steel plugs out of an aluminum engine with 100,000 miles on it? Well, you don't, if they were not assembled into the car, like the Glock was assembled, with copper grease.

Glock says to use oil, not grease, on cleanings by the consumer. You figure a dentist follows the directions on the toothpaste when he cleans his teeth?

In everything, there are consumer directions, and what the source does when working in their own field.

If you want the very best, in anything, follow the source.

sent from my rotary wall phone
ShallNotBeInfringed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:00   #20
GlockFish
Floyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShallNotBeInfringed View Post
Lock the slide open on any new Glock and what do you see?

Another question, how do you get steel plugs out of an aluminum engine with 100,000 miles on it? Well, you don't, if they were not assembled into the car, like the Glock was assembled, with copper grease.

Glock says to use oil, not grease, on cleanings by the consumer. You figure a dentist follows the directions on the toothpaste when he cleans his teeth?

In everything, there are consumer directions, and what the source does when working in their own field.

If you want the very best, in anything, follow the source.

sent from my rotary wall phone
Uh Huh?
or dial 800-NRA-3888 and request to be placed on the "Do Not Promote" list.
GlockFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frog lube, grease, gun oil, lube, lubricant