Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-22-2013, 21:30   #1
plouffedaddy

Federal 5.56 62gr OTM SOST Mod0 Gel Test Results

Caliber Corner

Caliber Corner

Finished up the testing of the Federal 5.56 62gr Mod0 OTM SOST (T556TNB1) round. Here are the conditions and results.

Test conditions:
-16'' CHF PSA barrel
-Test rounds fired from 15 feet
-"FBI spec" (Their term, not mine...) Clear Ballistics gel block

Chrono Data:
-2997 feet per second
-1235 foot pounds of energy

Results:
-1st shot passed through 32'' of gel
-2nd shot stopped at 32''
-Fragmentation occurred along the way

Here's the video showing the test, the permanent cavity, both shots into the gel, and a discussion of the results:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Certified Glock Armorer
plouffedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:00   #2
WinterWizard

Looks like it does what it is designed to do: stay together (the core at least) and penetrate. Not the round I would want, but to each their own.
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:09   #3
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Am I nuts or does .45 auto ball ammo produce roughly the same result?
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 13:24   #4
ABNAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Steve View Post
Am I nuts or does .45 auto ball ammo produce roughly the same result?
.45 ACP isn't hitting at almost 3,000fps. Maybe a third of that at most (velocity is squared in that equation, it's not linear). Once you get to rifle velocities the dynamics change very quickly from what a handgun can do.

11C2P '83-'87
ABNAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 15:45   #5
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
.45 ACP isn't hitting at almost 3,000fps. Maybe a third of that at most (velocity is squared in that equation, it's not linear). Once you get to rifle velocities the dynamics change very quickly from what a handgun can do.
A standard 230 grain fmj going 850 will penetrate darn near as much jello (if not the same) and the wound channel is nice and straight and narrow (like in this video).

So what dynamics are different?

Old 06-23-2013, 17:15   #6
WinterWizard

Quote:
A standard 230 grain fmj going 850 will penetrate darn near as much jello (if not the same) and the wound channel is nice and straight and narrow (like in this video).

One is delivering about 1250 ft/lbs of energy and one is delivering about 400 ft/lbs of energy. The gel block doesn't tell the whole tale.
Old 06-23-2013, 17:41   #7
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWizard View Post
One is delivering about 1250 ft/lbs of energy and one is delivering about 400 ft/lbs of energy. The gel block doesn't tell the whole tale.

Finally got someone to admit it.

For that matter, neither does ft/lbs of energy. It always favors the faster bullet. Yet here we are with really darn similar penetration and wound channel.
Old 06-23-2013, 20:03   #8
Merkavaboy
Code-7A KUZ769

The $64,000.00 question is: How well does this round work on real human beings hopped-up on marihuana and opium?

In the history of man-kind, no one has been attacked by a block of ballistic gel shooting back with an AK, RPK, DSHK or RPG!
Merkavaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 23:14   #9
cowboy1964

.45 ball won't fragment.

This is a penetrator round.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 06-24-2013 at 14:55..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 23:16   #10
WinterWizard

Quote:

For that matter, neither does ft/lbs of energy. It always favors the faster bullet. Yet here we are with really darn similar penetration and wound channel.
I will add that it is PART of the tale, though. That being said, I don't like this round. If I am shooting .223/5.56, I want something that causes massive tissue damage, not massive penetration. If I want massive penetration, I will step up to .308.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:57   #11
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWizard View Post
I will add that it is PART of the tale, though. That being said, I don't like this round. If I am shooting .223/5.56, I want something that causes massive tissue damage, not massive penetration. If I want massive penetration, I will step up to .308.
We are agreed on that point. I suppose that's why I was so underwhelmed by this test.

Those little fragments of jacket don't exactly carve their own path. You usually find them in the main wound channel.

The SOST was supposed to be a 22 caliber version of the old Speer Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, right? If I'm remembering that correctly, then these results don't surprise me.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:09   #12
ABNAK

Quote:

Tell ya what: if you HAD to shoot a two-legged critter, I'd take 5.56mm over .45ACP in a heartbeat.

Don't know if you were intentionally being coy or not but if you can't see the difference between a rifle velocity round (wound-wise) and a FMJ pistol round then Ballistics 101 is in order!

11C2P '83-'87
Old 06-24-2013, 09:42   #13
Herzeleid
Kein Mitleid

Quote:

I bet if the 5.56 came in contact with bone, compared to the .45 ball you're using for a comparison, the results would likely be a lot different.
Herzeleid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:14   #14
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
Tell ya what: if you HAD to shoot a two-legged critter, I'd take 5.56mm over .45ACP in a heartbeat.

Don't know if you were intentionally being coy or not but if you can't see the difference between a rifle velocity round (wound-wise) and a FMJ pistol round then Ballistics 101 is in order!
I am being a bit of a wise guy. Just that the 5.56mm usually makes a bit more splash than demonstrated in this video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herzeleid View Post
I bet if the 5.56 came in contact with bone, compared to the .45 ball you're using for a comparison, the results would likely be a lot different.
Yep. Not pretty for the most .224 bullets, but in this case, I think it would keep going.

You want barrier blind performance? Then let's talk about solids. You want expansion? Let's talk about soft bullets. So what we have here is a soft touted as better because it behaves like a solid (or perhaps it's a mediocre solid with some resemblance to a soft bullet). The wonders of marketing.

Anyway, they got it going fast. That's about the best thing I can say for this bullet if this test is representative of how they all behave.

And the blocks look like they had a .45 ball round shot through them.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:15   #15
dkf

.45acp 230gr FMJ vs 5.56x45 55gr FMJ. High speed camera helps to show the difference better.

Mix of different .223/5.56 out of ARs.

Gee hard tell the difference.

Last edited by dkf; 06-25-2013 at 11:16..
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:51   #16
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
.45acp 230gr FMJ vs 5.56x45 55gr FMJ. High speed camera helps to show the difference better.

Gee hard tell the difference.

I get it. I know what 5.56mm can do.

What you're missing in these videos (there is one at the top of the page) is the Mod 0, which in my opinion, sucked. That's all.
Old 06-25-2013, 18:28   #17
ABNAK

Quote:

What you're missing in these videos (there is one at the top of the page) is the Mod 0, which in my opinion, sucked. That's all.

I wonder how much long(er) range terminal ballistics came into play during the development of the Mk262 and SOST rounds? I know M193 and M855 come up short (pun intended) in that category at longer distances.

11C2P '83-'87
Old 06-25-2013, 20:18   #18
dkf

Quote:

Its not impressive, I agree. Probably the reason is the petals shearing off and making the core do the work. Not what I would spend my money on. Might as well just use an FMJ round.

Last edited by dkf; 06-25-2013 at 20:19..
Old 06-25-2013, 21:36   #19
ABNAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
Its not impressive, I agree. Probably the reason is the petals shearing off and making the core do the work. Not what I would spend my money on. Might as well just use an FMJ round.
The SOST and the Mk262 are OTM rounds. They are not like a pistol HP bullet in that they are designed to act like a FMJ. They may expand but they're not designed to.

In the fragmentation of the SOST I wonder if it really "sheared" the petals off (as in a HP blossoming) or if the pieces were a result of fragging of the bullet itself once it started to tumble and the centrifugal forces overcame bullet integrity? M193 and M855 will do that too at a high enough impact velocity, i.e. closer ranges.

11C2P '83-'87
Old 06-25-2013, 21:55   #20
dkf

The Mod0 being for barriers must be the reason the permanent cavity is so vanilla in bare gel. Gotta have a barrier to make the bullet yaw and transfer energy. How the jacket sheared off I guess depends on how well the lead held onto it. Looked like the lead didn't hold onto the jacket at all (not bonded) so it probably just dropped pieces off little by little.

If it were me I would rather have something like Hornady's TAP Barrier load which uses the GMX bullet. Goes through barriers and transfers energy better. Of course the treaties signed many years ago most likely prohibit the use of that bullet. It is why you don't sign stupid treaties.

Last edited by dkf; 06-25-2013 at 22:34..