GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-05-2013, 23:37   #1
vart

Know anyone that's followed the boom to North Dakota?

I've heard of a few people in my area that moved up there to work in low skill/high pay jobs but never heard any follow up from them or their close friends.

I've heard rumors of $20 an hour for very low skill jobs, $15 an hour for fast-food workers, $100k a year for truck drivers, etc.

I've also heard about RV parks charging $900 a month for a spot to park your camper and an exploding violent crime rate.

I'm not interested in moving up there, but was wondering if anyone was familiar with what the real story was...

I'm fascinated by what sounds like a modern day California gold rush.

"That's a big bite of crap sandwich, my friend..."

Rabbi - "Anyways, that is a beautiful car. Bill probably already farted in it."
vart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 23:41   #2
hpracing007

tagged, wasn't aware of this going on...
hpracing007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 23:42   #3
Gregg702
Gold Membership

Tons of high paying jobs, yet tons of crime? That doesn't add up at all
Old 07-05-2013, 23:44   #4
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

I've got a friend who lives in one of the "man camps" provided by some company... I talk to him every so often, but he works a lot. Pretty much, he never leaves there... 6 days a week, 12-16hrs a day.

He has no personal life I don't think, but.. he was always kind of a recluse and when I talk to him, he seems happy.

As for the crime rate, I know he said on the camp he's in, they have zero tolerance for weapons, consuming alcohol on the premises, etc.. it's basically a forgone conclusion if you're caught, you're getting the boot from living there (although not necessarily fired.. but housing is very hard to come by up there).

I would think the crime tends to happen more in the city "outside" the camps... when guys go out drinking, looking for prostitutes, etc.

IGF
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 23:46   #5
vart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg702 View Post
Tons of high paying jobs, yet tons of crime? That doesn't add up at all
Tons of single, low education males flocking to the area...

Old 07-05-2013, 23:48   #6
Gregg702
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by vart View Post
It could be, but usually (not always) crime is a symptom of poverty.
Old 07-05-2013, 23:48   #7
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpracing007 View Post
Been going on for several years.. CDL drivers are in huge demand up there. I'm not sure what they need as far as unskilled labor.. but there is definitely money to be made up there. The real issue, is housing. The infrastructure is cracking up there because the area has grown way to fast for it to keep up. Not enough housing, utilities are overwhelmed, etc.

IGF
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
Old 07-05-2013, 23:50   #8
vart

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpracing007 View Post
I was searching the job sites for something in Idaho and there was an ad for a trucking job in the North Dakota oil fields; $100k a year...

I'd heard of the boom going on up there for the past year or so, but the ad reminded me of it, hence this thread.

Old 07-05-2013, 23:55   #9
m2hmghb

Quote:
Yes but that could be from those in the area hitting the workers from out of state because they're getting more money. The guys in state might not meet the criteria and so on. I've seen it happen in reverse.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 00:01   #10
CAcop

Quote:
Classic boomtown/gold rush town. Lots of single males working hardaking good money. Plenty to spend on booze, drugs, and whores.

There have been studies that show that a dynamic economy, going up or down it does not matter, cause crime increases. Cocaine and the 80s. Remember the crack wars?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 00:15   #11
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Quote:
I was searching the job sites for something in Idaho and there was an ad for a trucking job in the North Dakota oil fields; $100k a year...

I'd heard of the boom going on up there for the past year or so, but the ad reminded me of it, hence this thread.
I can't speak for everyone, but my buddy has a CDL w/ hazmat. When he went up there, he didn't have the hazmat endorsement, as I recall. I talked to him last almost 2mo ago. He told me he should hit 100k this year.

Not bad for a guy who was laid off, going through a divorce and probably on the verge of suicide when he went up there. I was actually really concerned when he went up there, and I think had this job not worked out for him, it's very likely I would have never heard from him again.

He's not said much negative about it. He did mention the rooms are really small. Essentially you walk in, bed on the right, a small desk on the left. Then a small "closet with a shower/toilet/sink. Then there's a "community area"... with some recreation stuff.

Probably not for everyone.. but I think he really needed to get away, and it provided good pay and a good opportunity.
RIP Jack
Old 07-06-2013, 00:20   #12
vart

I did some research and found out one of the towns is Wiliston, ND.

681 jobs posted...

How about working as a trailer service tech in a yard? You check in semi-trailers that are being rented, clean them, grease the fittings, etc.

$8 an hour job here in AZ. Starting wage there is $18-$24 an hour...

http://technical.thingamajob.com/job...-Yard-/2861988

Old 07-06-2013, 00:26   #13
vart

And for only $795 a month, you can rent one of these, well, tiny pieces of bare dirt 5' from the RV next to you...

The Okie Corral

http://www.willistonvillagervresort....l-rentals.html

Quote:
Residential Rentals

• Rent for $795 per month + electricity
  • Lease terms - month to month or longer
  • City water & sewer included in rent
  • No application fees
  • No hidden fees
Wow! Seems the rumors were true...

Old 07-06-2013, 00:29   #14
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Quote:
And for only $795 a month, you can rent one of these, well, tiny pieces of bare dirt 5' from the RV next to you...

The Okie Corral

http://www.willistonvillagervresort....l-rentals.html

Wow! Seems the rumors were true...
I read a story on this after my friend went up there... There's also a huge issue with "van dwellers".. trying to live it out on Wal Mart, etc.. parking lots. Several have been found dead in these vehicles on extremely cold/extremely hot days and nights.

I imagine if you have a plan, you can do it, but you have to have a plan. That seems to be the biggest issue... people going up there saying "I've got a good job making good money... this will be easy".. then finding out there is literally nowhere for them to stay... and they start doing stupid things. Tents, etc.. when the temp drops to sub zero.
RIP Jack

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 07-06-2013 at 00:31..
Old 07-06-2013, 01:09   #15
Slug71

The Okie Corral
Bull Dawgs Club #571
Rimfire Club #571
Slug71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:14   #16
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Many people. Some say I'm next... but I'm too old for that ****.

Besides, the GTDS already has a rep up there.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

Last edited by Angry Fist; 07-06-2013 at 01:15..
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:28   #17
willie_pete
NRA Life Member

I built a house in Florida in 2009. The owner of the electrical contracting company that did the wiring work sold his $million+ home in central Florida to move up there and get in on the housing boom. He seems to be doing quite well.

WP

NRA Instructor in Pistol, Advanced Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, PP In/Outside the Home, Metallic/Shotshell Reloading, Chief RSO, Certified Glock Armorer, NRA Life Member
willie_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:20   #18
JohnBT
NRA Patron

My grandfather had relatives who moved to N. Dakota over 100 years ago to get the free farmland. We have letters they sent back. Having to tunnel through the snow drifts to get to the barn to tend the animals cured me of any desire to move there.

John
JohnBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:47   #19
ede
Bama's Friend

I've had a couple headhunters contact me about working there. I've turned down or not been interested in 85$ hour jobs. Depends on what you like, want, and can put up with but for sure it's not for me right now.
PM Black Diamond 538 F&AM
Bamatrooper taught Chuck Norris how to shoot.
ede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:18   #20
Breadman03

Send a message via Skype™ to Breadman03
Quote:
Quote:
Bunch of young guys getting boozed up, with just a few women. I'd bet that most of the violent crime is bar fights that get crazy.

<< 4 year old wanted to use it. She's a cutie.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:24   #21
pugman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ede View Post
I've had a couple headhunters contact me about working there. I've turned down or not been interested in 85$ hour jobs. Depends on what you like, want, and can put up with but for sure it's not for me right now.
$85/hour

Near starting wage of a U.S Representative?

An Engineering friend of mine took a job similiar to this but in the middle east working for some oil company.

However, he had a plan. Got into everything he could think of which was free or practically free. Read a lot, exercised, watched a LOT of movies on a laptop.

With no taxes, in three years he banked half a million dollars. After this he quit. While the money was fantastic there was very little there he risked spending it on. He quit then came back to the states.

Admittedly, he refers to the time as his "sentence" but he used the money to buy a small home for cash, bought his car for cash, etc.

But to your point, he did put up with a lot of crap.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:55   #22
southernshooter

Nd

Yes, there is a tremendous boom going on there. Barely anything in the news or any documentaries about it. Videos on youtube are about the only way to pick up info about it. Some oil companies are buying apartment complexes, evicting the tenants and putting their employees only in there. Could be an opportunity for a young fellow making low wages to get some high pay in if he is tough enough.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:05   #23
paynter2
It ain't over

Two years ago I drove through western ND. I took Amtrak to MT and picked up a plow truck. I drove it home (to MN) from there. I left MT at noon and had to drive to Grand Forks ND (on the MN boarder) before I could find a place to stay. Everything was filled up.

It's just amazing to see what can happen when capitalism is left to flourish. We don't need no stinkin' government - let profits drive production.

Everything, everyplace, was alive and the whole place seemed to be moving day and night. That said, it was also a zoo.

There were many man camps being built. They looked like prison camps. Rows of barracks spaced very close together. It wouldn't be much of a life. But, obviously, there's money to be made.

if you don't own an oil lease or two, the next best thing would be a small plot of land to rent to RV's.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:14   #24
G17Jake

vart, there is information in this forum... http://www.city-data.com/forum/williston/

http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/

Last edited by G17Jake; 07-06-2013 at 08:03..
G17Jake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:20   #25
GlockPride
Glock 23

My brother is up there and has been for about a year. He lives in TX and commutes back and forth airplane. It's 21 days on, 10 off. They pay for travel, but days off #1 and 10 are blocked for travel, so he only gets 8 full days. That's about four weekends a month, so it's about what us regular folk make. He gets extra because he is CDL with experience and field rigging experience. So, he drives the trucks out, completes the job and drives them back. He does not work every day up there, but gets a guaranteed # of hours each day and then OT kicks in. As well, he makes a % of the job cost so he is raking it in to the tune of making 5 house payments a month.
Housing sucks. They have 6 men in a run down 3 bedroom trailer house on 1/2 acre that the company pays $3800/mo. They provide utilities/satellite/Internet. He says it not nice, but not as bad as living in a motel or rv.
He hasn't mentioned any violence, but its oilfield so I'm positive there are a bunch of drunken brawls, dv, and theft.
I've thought about going but I make good money and really love my 4 yo boy.
Eph6:12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.13Therefore put on the full armor of God
GlockPride is offline   Reply With Quote