Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:55   #76
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
The thing is, eye witness testimony probably did see a streak of light ascending in the sky.

However, it was more than likely, the already burning aircraft. Climbing, after the nose broke/was blown free. Depending upon your angle, it can look like the airplane/light source is rapidly climbing, because its rolling, and turning and you don't have a good view.
This is my understanding also. The aircraft went immediately tail-heavy and climbed while leaving a trail of burning jet fuel that onlookers mistakenly thought was a missile plume. HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:56   #77
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeflys1 View Post

Location, Location, Location.

A nuclear warhead on the opposite side of the planet won't do anything to you, but a well place 22lr...
And so why wouldnt location of a warhead (or any explosive) change the outcome?
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:57   #78
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
But this would make the spark theory less likely,wouldnt it?
Yes it would. Hence the word "However" at the start. But I don't know what type of fuel a 747 uses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoking View Post
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.
SC Tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:58   #79
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reheater View Post
not to mention a 300 plus group of dudes that would have to be silenced about the matter.
Isnt that what these 6 are claiming? They were silenced and now speaking out?
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:02   #80
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
Does a 747 have rims?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
That fat be-yoch be floatin spinners, yo. Keepin it real in da 'Port.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:01   #81
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Quote:
How does an A-10, which was designed to fly with a lot of damage, getting shot have anything to do with a commercial airliner. I worked on process development of A10 cockpit armor. I havent seen anything like that in a commercial aircraft. How many commercial aircraft can protect the pilot from a 50BMG round in the cockpit?

Did the A10 suddenly become something other than a bypass turbofan powered twin engine airplane?

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"

Last edited by AK_Stick; 06-19-2013 at 11:18..
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:08   #82
Rogmatt

There were 2 former Clinton bodyguards on board that flight headed overseas to give an interview of things they had witnessed. That story was not emphasized in the media.
Rogmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:17   #83
Hicksville Kid

I know someone that was interviewed by the FBI three different times. He told them what he told me. He saw a streak coming from the ocean, rising into the sky, disappearing, an explosion and the parts falling. He was at a dock on the south shore after a day of fishing.

To me, it was a missile.
Hicksville Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:24   #84
tsmo1066
Happy Smiley

Quote:
Isnt that what these 6 are claiming? They were silenced and now speaking out?
So where are all of the Navy crew-members doing the same? The vast majority of crew-men on such a ship are 18-19 year old young men...hardly the sort of collection of individuals that one can hope to keep quiet for an extended period of time.

In any event, most of the 300+ crewmen on such a Navy destroyer would have ETS'd many years ago and been free to speak out for well over a decade. If a Navy vessel shot down Flight 800, where are the whistle-blowers and loose-lipped, former crew-members?
Old 06-19-2013, 11:24   #85
PBCounty

Send a message via AIM to PBCounty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogmatt View Post
There were 2 former Clinton bodyguards on board that flight headed overseas to give an interview of things they had witnessed. That story was not emphasized in the media.
Well that wasn't exactly a low profile method...
Old 06-19-2013, 11:25   #86
pipedreams

Everyone is speculating about this story and making all sorts of claims that I didn't find in the link the OP posted. The six are only stating they were silenced and didn't accept the official story fed to the public. To me this is just another example of the gov. spinning a story just like they did on Benghazi, the NSA, and the IRS scandal. This just another example of the gov. blurring the truth so no one will really know what happened.

Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.

Last edited by pipedreams; 06-19-2013 at 11:37..
pipedreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:25   #87
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogmatt View Post
I also heard that Vince Foster's nephew's neighbor's SIL was on the flight. So, you know. . .
Old 06-19-2013, 11:43   #88
walt cowan

well i guess we'll find out. seeing how the state department sold 10 thousand stingers to some strangers.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:51   #89
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
Did the A10 suddenly become something other than a bypass turbofan powered twin engine airplane?
Are you trying to imply that an A-10 and a 747 have the same design requirements for amount of enemy (or friendly) fire that can be sustained and still in flying condition?

If you simply say that plane A=B because they are both "bypass turbofan powered twin engine airplanes" then is an F/A-18 the equivalent of a 787 Dreamliner? They both are "bypass turbofan powered twin engine airplane". The F/A-18 uses 2 GE f404 low bypass engines and the dreamliner uses either 2 GE or 2 RR engines.
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:51   #90
tsmo1066
Happy Smiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt cowan View Post
well i guess we'll find out. seeing how the state department sold 10 thousand stingers to some strangers.
A Stinger couldn't have possibly hit Flight 800 at that altitude, distance and speed.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:55   #91
CAcop

Google search images "747 manpad."

The Okie Corral
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:03   #92
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

This is supposedly a MANPAD hit on a MD-11 - pretty vicious but the plane did manage to land:

The Okie Corral

Quote:
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:04   #93
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

Here is another one:

The Okie Corral

Quote:
Old 06-19-2013, 12:05   #94
CAcop

Quote:
Are you trying to imply that an A-10 and a 747 have the same design requirements for amount of enemy (or friendly) fire that can be sustained and still in flying condition?

If you simply say that plane A=B because they are both "bypass turbofan powered twin engine airplanes" then is an F/A-18 the equivalent of a 787 Dreamliner? They both are "bypass turbofan powered twin engine airplane". The F/A-18 uses 2 GE f404 low bypass engines and the dreamliner uses either 2 GE or 2 RR engines.
Did you ever wonder why they put the engines of an A-10 on the outside of the aircraft?

Do you think it is better for a heat seaker to blow off an engine like the pic I posted above or to have it essentially dig it out of the aircraft?

You say you worked on the cockpit. Different mission there. You can't let the pilot get blown out of an aicraft.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
Old 06-19-2013, 12:09   #95
CAcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicksville Kid View Post
I know someone that was interviewed by the FBI three different times. He told them what he told me. He saw a streak coming from the ocean, rising into the sky, disappearing, an explosion and the parts falling. He was at a dock on the south shore after a day of fishing.

To me, it was a missile.
How far away from the area was he?

Due to the earth's curvature you do not have to be very far away to not see the whole sky and to think it came from the ocean.

From eye level you can only see a few miles out to sea. That's why they put planes on battleships as soon as they became able to do it. The guns reached further than the people on board could see.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:18   #96
CarryTexas

My MOS when I was in the Army (ETS in '94) was 16S or Stinger Missile MANPADS crew member.

If Flt. 800 was at 13,000 feet it would have been just inside the max range of the stinger at the time. However, it would have been one heck of a lucky shot.

It is very unlikely that a terrorist would have had the latest generation missiles which track targets, I will just say better than the older missiles. (It was classified at the time and I am not sure if it still is, so I won't go into detail)

If they had the latest missile and all the stars aligned it is certainly possible that it could have hit at the center fuel tank and led to the structural failure.

Keep in mind that the aircraft would have been pressurized at that point and it wouldn't take much of an explosion to cause the damage.

Personally I have no idea what caused this crash, but I suspect it wasn't an accident.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:20   #97
czsmithGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fist Of Goodness View Post
Ramsey Yousef, the guy who tried to blow up the WTC in 1993, also planned and tested a plot to blow up multiple airliners over the Pacific in a plan called "BOJINKA". He devised an explosive device using PETN concealed in a toothpaste tube, and a detonator configured from a casio watch, and tested it on a flight in the Phillipines, where he was living at the time.

He planted the device under the seat he thought was directly over the center fuel tank, (but had studied the configuration on a slightly different model than the aircraft he was on) before leaving the plane. The device exploded and killed the passenger in the seat, but the plane was able to land safely.

I found that interesting considering it was the first of its kind (and apparently unable to be recreated in tests) accidental explosion in the center fuel tank of Flt 800. I have also read about the multiple witnesses that observed weather balloons or swamp gas rising at high speeds towards the aircraft over Long Island Sound; as well as the alleged component of a SAM, er, I mean weather balloon, fished out of the water by local fisherman and turned over to the FBI.

I am generally not a conspiracy theorist, but considering the dearth of airliners that have exploded in mid-air in my lifetime, I remain skeptical of the official explanation. I also found it interesting that George Stephanopolous inadvertently referred to FLT 800 as one of the few successful terrorist attacks under Clinton's watch during a post 9-11 interview (he then corrected himself, but maybe it was a slip).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bojinka_plot
Philippine Airlines Flight 143 exploded due to a fuel tank explosion caused by a wiring issue. It was a 737 (and on the ground) but the principle is the same.

Avianca Flight 203 (a 727) was destroyed by a fuel tank explosion precipitated by an on-board bomb, but there was said to be no evidence at all of an on board bomb explosion on TWA 800.
czsmithGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:22   #98
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Could a rim have sparked?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:36   #99
tsmo1066
Happy Smiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarryTexas View Post
My MOS when I was in the Army (ETS in '94) was 16S or Stinger Missile MANPADS crew member.

If Flt. 800 was at 13,000 feet it would have been just inside the max range of the stinger at the time. However, it would have been one heck of a lucky shot.

It is very unlikely that a terrorist would have had the latest generation missiles which track targets, I will just say better than the older missiles. (It was classified at the time and I am not sure if it still is, so I won't go into detail)

If they had the latest missile and all the stars aligned it is certainly possible that it could have hit at the center fuel tank and led to the structural failure.

Keep in mind that the aircraft would have been pressurized at that point and it wouldn't take much of an explosion to cause the damage.

Personally I have no idea what caused this crash, but I suspect it wasn't an accident.
The shot would likely have been even a bit trickier. My understanding of the incident is that Flight 800 was at 13,700 feet when they received instructions to go ahead and climb to 15,000 feet. The crew acknowledged this message in their last known radio transmission. That was one minute and twenty seconds before the explosion. Assuming the crew was climbing as instructed during that minute-and-a-half or so, it would stand to reason that the flight was somewhere closer to 15,000 feet when the explosion occurred.

Last edited by tsmo1066; 06-19-2013 at 12:38..
tsmo1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:42   #100
CAcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarryTexas View Post

Where would you have to be standing in relation to the plane to be able to get that shot off?

They were over water by a decent distance. Would it have to have been done from a boat or could it have been pulled off from land?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Tags
anti-conspiracy kooks, reynolds heavy duty, truthers lol