Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-11-2013, 16:00   #1
swh_longhorn

Glock Dry Fire Trigger Reset Kit

Has anyone tried out the Glock dry fire trigger reset kit?

Wondering what you thought about it, worth the money, etc.?

http://www.glockstore.com/trigger-reset-kit-for-glock
swh_longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 16:41   #2
Bob45acp
HandgunWorld

I've tried out one owned by someone else. I like it a lot. Since I just did a podcast on dry fire practice methods, http://www.handgunworld.com/ep-234-dry-fire-practice/, I think I need to buy one of those kits. Worth the investment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Suarez International Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
Texas CHL Instructor
Bob45acp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 21:22   #3
Glocker Rob

For $200 I hope it comes with that laser thingie.
Glocker Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:42   #4
ron59
Bustin Caps

I don't have that one, I have one that was around $50. I love it.
Allows multiple pulls of the trigger without racking slide.

For my real trigger, I run a Ghost Rocket with springs, so the pull is ~3lbs. The pull for the one I bought was closer to ~5lbs. I was able to disassemble it, make some mods, and get it down to under ~4 I think. Very nice.

Quote:
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:52   #5
XshooterX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron59 View Post
I don't have that one, I have one that was around $50. I love it.
Allows multiple pulls of the trigger without racking slide.

For my real trigger, I run a Ghost Rocket with springs, so the pull is ~3lbs. The pull for the one I bought was closer to ~5lbs. I was able to disassemble it, make some mods, and get it down to under ~4 I think. Very nice.
Do you have a name or link to the one you bought?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
XshooterX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:48   #6
ron59
Bustin Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by XshooterX View Post
Do you have a name or link to the one you bought?

Yes.

http://www.southwestshootingauthority.com/612600.html

Scroll down and look for:
The Glock Dry-Practice Kit (trigger re-set kit).

I will say, that they don't advise disassembling the kit. It is a bit of a pain to get back together if you do. The first time is the worst. But I've had mine apart 4-5 times now. You just have to be patient. And practice helps. lol

What they did, is take a standard connector and dremel off some of the back piece, that bends out 90*. I just took and dremeled a little more off and smoothed it up, and that reduced the poundage. They have a spring surrounding this little piece of metal that wedges into the trigger housing, that is what forces the trigger back out. I also clipped a coil or two off that spring.

Looks like the price has now gone up to $60 + shipping (bottom of page), I got mine 2-3 years ago.

Oh yeah... you have to detail strip the lower in order to swap your regular trigger parts with this one. So if you only have one Glock? That would be a LOT of disassembly/reassembly if you go to the range much.

I had a G17 and a G34. The 34 is my main gun, I had the kit in the G17 frame, and for dry fire practice would put my 34 slide on there.

Quote:

Last edited by ron59; 06-12-2013 at 18:57..
Old 06-12-2013, 22:27   #7
XshooterX

Quote:
Yes.

http://www.southwestshootingauthority.com/612600.html

Scroll down and look for:
The Glock Dry-Practice Kit (trigger re-set kit).

I will say, that they don't advise disassembling the kit. It is a bit of a pain to get back together if you do. The first time is the worst. But I've had mine apart 4-5 times now. You just have to be patient. And practice helps. lol

What they did, is take a standard connector and dremel off some of the back piece, that bends out 90*. I just took and dremeled a little more off and smoothed it up, and that reduced the poundage. They have a spring surrounding this little piece of metal that wedges into the trigger housing, that is what forces the trigger back out. I also clipped a coil or two off that spring.

Looks like the price has now gone up to $60 + shipping (bottom of page), I got mine 2-3 years ago.

Oh yeah... you have to detail strip the lower in order to swap your regular trigger parts with this one. So if you only have one Glock? That would be a LOT of disassembly/reassembly if you go to the range much.

I had a G17 and a G34. The 34 is my main gun, I had the kit in the G17 frame, and for dry fire practice would put my 34 slide on there.
Very cool. Thanks

XshooterX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 13:47   #8
sciolist

I have been meaning to experiment with this, but haven't had time. Seems like it would not be too difficult to add a spring to OE parts to return the trigger. As Ron points out, the disadvantage of these kit products is they are probably going to be designed to mimic an OE trigger - for more of a defensive training application.

Ron, given that a match shooter would need to modify the kit anyway, what about starting with a lighter connector and adding the other parts yourself? Does that seem reasonably feasible? Can you post a photo of your trigger’s return assembly?

If I could buy something like that for 60 bucks with a #3 pull, would probably just go that route. But the large amount of use this is likely to get, and need for additional modification, make it seem like DIY might be the way to go.
sciolist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 15:04   #9
SJ 40

If one can not be obtained from other than the Glock Store,I'll never try it.
TGS is the last place I want to spend my money. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 21:19   #10
up1911fan

My choice would be (and was) a NLT SIRT.
up1911fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:35   #11
ron59
Bustin Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by up1911fan View Post
My choice would be (and was) a NLT SIRT.
For $400 or so? No thanks. I'll take my $50 reset kit all day.

Now, if you DON'T have a spare frame to keep it in, that's a different story. But I had that G17 (my first Glock bought in 2009) as well as the G34 I use for USPSA, etc.

Quote:
Old 06-14-2013, 08:44   #12
up1911fan

Quote:
For $400 or so? No thanks. I'll take my $50 reset kit all day.

Now, if you DON'T have a spare frame to keep it in, that's a different story. But I had that G17 (my first Glock bought in 2009) as well as the G34 I use for USPSA, etc.
https://www.armsunlimited.com/SIRT-P...er-red-red.htm

I paid $185 for the plastic slide version.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:55   #13
ron59
Bustin Caps

Quote:
https://www.armsunlimited.com/SIRT-P...er-red-red.htm

I paid $185 for the plastic slide version.
Yeah... but then it feels nothing like the real gun when you're doing draws and transitions.

I want to mimic my REAL gun as much as possible during my dry fire practice. Realize, I'm not just practicing depressing the trigger. Rather, I practice drawing from holster to target with trigger press, then transitioning to another target with trigger press.... dropping magazine (loaded with full/weight dummy rounds) and loading another mag then back to target and trigger press again. And each "trigger press" I mentioned is really two, as in USPSA/IDPA we do double taps.

Having your dry fire gun be as identical to your competition gun as possible is pretty crucial when getting those reps in.

Quote:
Old 06-14-2013, 12:08   #14
up1911fan

Quote:
Yeah... but then it feels nothing like the real gun when you're doing draws and transitions.

I want to mimic my REAL gun as much as possible during my dry fire practice. Realize, I'm not just practicing depressing the trigger. Rather, I practice drawing from holster to target with trigger press, then transitioning to another target with trigger press.... dropping magazine (loaded with full/weight dummy rounds) and loading another mag then back to target and trigger press again. And each "trigger press" I mentioned is really two, as in USPSA/IDPA we do double taps.

Having your dry fire gun be as identical to your competition gun as possible is pretty crucial when getting those reps in.
RRiiigghht, the SIRT is the has the same spec's as a G17, only it weights 4oz less with the plastic slide. The magazines are weighted and adjustable to simulate fully loaded or anything less.
Old 06-14-2013, 14:50   #15
ron59
Bustin Caps

Quote:
RRiiigghht, the SIRT is the has the same spec's as a G17, only it weights 4oz less with the plastic slide. The magazines are weighted and adjustable to simulate fully loaded or anything less.
I have a hard time believing a plastic slide gives anything near the same feel as a glock metal slide.

I have an Advantage Arms .22 kit I use sometimes. It is not a plastic slide, but it doesn't feel too much like a G17 does. I use it to get some "cheap" life fire reps in.

Again.... I want as near as possible to identical feel of the gun. There was a thread about exactly this (SIRTs, and the plastic slide version was discussed) on Doodie a long time ago and several said that they can definitely feel the difference.

I'm happy that you like your SIRT. I'm not bad mouthing SIRTs. If I was going to get one though, I *personally* would spring for the one with metal slide. Certainly your choice to purchase the plastic slide version, and I'm not saying that sarcastically in any way.

But I'm actually very happy with my $50 reset kit. Why spend more than that if I don't need to? I don't. So won't.

Quote:

Last edited by ron59; 06-14-2013 at 14:52..
Old 06-14-2013, 19:40   #16
zx1200

I Have Both The $50 And $200 Triggers. The Trigger From Glock Store Is More Realistic And It Can Operate Lasers For Dry Firing. If Anyone Wants To Buy The $50 Trigger Pm me.
zx1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 20:13   #17
ron59
Bustin Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx1200 View Post
I Have Both The $50 And $200 Triggers. The Trigger From Glock Store Is More Realistic And It Can Operate Lasers For Dry Firing. If Anyone Wants To Buy The $50 Trigger Pm me.
My $50 trigger, with the mods I made... feels pretty reasonably close to my Ghost Rocket trigger, presuming I shoot from reset.

Lasers for dry firing? I'm afraid I'd start "prairie dogging" (ie, looking up for the hit) instead of staying focused on front sight as one should. That has been mentioned by several who have used lasers previously.

Quote:
Old 06-14-2013, 23:28   #18
kodiakpb

Quote:
Lasers for dry firing? I'm afraid I'd start "prairie dogging" (ie, looking up for the hit) instead of staying focused on front sight as one should.
This is correct, it can enable bad habits when used to determine POI.
kodiakpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:46   #19
zx1200

Well the laser lets you practice both ways, using a reflective targets that comes with the laser you see a bright red reflection between gaps in the front sight post and rear sight notch or audible beep if using the electric target. The other way to use it is to focus on the target when dry firing and if your grip and trigger control are consistent the laser will hit where your looking.
zx1200 is offline   Reply With Quote