Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-10-2013, 15:40   #1
The_Gun_Guru
Ban Democrats!!

Anyone Use National Magazine 40-Rounders in Their Mini-14?

Just got two of these mags for my Mini-14 and was wondering if anyone here has tried them. I got them from The Sportsman's Guide for about $22 each.

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

Thanks!

TGG

FLORIDA GUN OWNERS.....Check out this shirt!!!!

This is America. If you can't or won't speak English, PLEASE LEAVE!!!
The_Gun_Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 17:50   #2
DFin

There is a Mini 14 website called perfectunion.com that has info about different brands of mags for the Mini 14.

Last edited by DFin; 06-10-2013 at 17:53..
DFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:43   #3
The_Gun_Guru
Ban Democrats!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFin View Post
There is a Mini 14 website called perfectunion.com that has info about different brands of mags for the Mini 14.
I posted over there a couple days ago, thanks

They said that they are pretty much useless. I will try them out soon and report back.

TGG

Old 07-09-2013, 11:40   #4
JohnLloydScharf
Unregistered

Send a message via Yahoo to JohnLloydScharf
Is there more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Gun_Guru View Post
I posted over there a couple days ago, thanks
They said that they are pretty much useless. I will try them out soon and report back.
TGG
Okay. How did they do? Did you ever find one that works?
JohnLloydScharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 22:30   #5
Cole125
Silver Membership

The only good magazines for Mini 14s are Ruger factory 20 and 30 rounders, period.
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:06   #6
JimM_PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole125 View Post
The only good magazines for Mini 14s are Ruger factory 20 and 30 rounders, period.
That has been my experience as well.
JimM_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:41   #7
DonD

No knowledge about the mags but wanted to comment about the stock on the gun. Looks like a factory stock but has a lot of nice figuring on it which most don't, very good looking. Don
DonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:33   #8
The_Gun_Guru
Ban Democrats!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLloydScharf View Post
Okay. How did they do? Did you ever find one that works?
sadly, I have not taken it to the range yet because I have been testing out my mini draco ak pistol, which is awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonD View Post
No knowledge about the mags but wanted to comment about the stock on the gun. Looks like a factory stock but has a lot of nice figuring on it which most don't, very good looking. Don
thanks Don, I do like the stock, but it could use a nice cleaning up. I just haven't had a lot of time to put into the mini 14 right now :-(

TGG

Old 07-10-2013, 10:56   #9
Bob Hafler

I never use more than 20 round mags in my mini14 and there the Ruger factory mags. I find anything larger gets in the way more than it does any good.
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:03   #10
The_Gun_Guru
Ban Democrats!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hafler View Post
I never use more than 20 round mags in my mini14 and there the Ruger factory mags. I find anything larger gets in the way more than it does any good.
what about the factory 30 round mags? Have you had a chance to try them? if so, did they function reliably for you?

Thanks,

TGG

Old 07-10-2013, 11:26   #11
Bob Hafler

No I never even tried them. Once I put the 20 round mag in the rifle I knew that was as large as I ever wanted to go. If I was using it for general purpose stuff or hunting I'd be quite happy just using the 5 round mag that came with it. Might not look as Bad A&& but I love the balance of it.
I mean really could you just imagine how cumbersome that 40 round mag would be and in the way if you were laying on your stomach trying to make every round count. IMO those larger capacity mags are more for prayin and sprayin then anything. They certainly do nothing to improve accuracy. At least in my opinion they don't.

Last edited by Bob Hafler; 07-10-2013 at 11:33..
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 17:34   #12
The_Gun_Guru
Ban Democrats!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hafler View Post
I mean really could you just imagine how cumbersome that 40 round mag would be and in the way if you were laying on your stomach trying to make every round count.
40-round mags are par for the course for me because I have seven AKs....nine if you include the Saiga-12 and the PSL-54C. The 12-round SGM mag for the Saiga-12 is about 3 to 3.5 inches longer than a 40-round AK mag, so I really don't mind the length of the National mag.

General Firearms Forum

Also, I've never shot from the prone position because I don't hunt and was never in the military.

TGG

Old 07-11-2013, 08:16   #13
J.R. Bob Dobbs
Nerd

Ive never had any mags but Ruger mags function in a mini14, and Im not alone in this experience. Throw them away, it will save much frustration, and research before you buy.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:39   #14
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

Load them up and try them out. Then load up a Ruger factory 20 round mag and use them for targets.
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:29   #15
wjv

I only buy 20 round mags for my Mini-14.

I have slowly been replacing all of my off-brand mags with Ruger mags, now that Ruger actually sells magazines that hold more than 5 rounds. . .

Nothing against Bill Ruger. . . But once he died, the company was finally free to move into market segments that he previously blocked the company from doing. (Tactical Mini, larger mags, CCW orientated handguns)

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 17:06   #16
JohnLloydScharf
Unregistered

Send a message via Yahoo to JohnLloydScharf
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Gun_Guru View Post
40-round mags are par for the course for me because I have seven AKs....nine if you include the Saiga-12 and the PSL-54C. The 12-round SGM mag for the Saiga-12 is about 3 to 3.5 inches longer than a 40-round AK mag, so I really don't mind the length of the National mag.

Also, I've never shot from the prone position because I don't hunt and was never in the military.
TGG
I think they are better than a stripper clip for holding ammo and at 62 I do not want to be rushed for a reload. I cannot imagine never having shot prone and I am not a hunter, but I was in the USN. I think they trained us to shoot prone because you present a smaller target and they did not let you sit on a chair at the range.

What I learned in boot camp is you need to check the number of your target and, for some, not ever having had a weapon in your hands is better than having bad habits.

We had a Jewish sharpshooter from NYC who never had a firearm in his hands until the USN put it there. He was afraid NOT to do exactly as he was trained.

Instead of discouraging firearms with laws that infringe, they should provide training for every head of household, if not every adult. The government should provide ranges and a low cost ammo allotment for every citizen who wants to increase their proficiency. It would lower the cost of public safety.

But, then, that would require planning, would work, and makes sense, any one of which the US government obviously is terrified to do and punishes those who advocate it as employees.

Oh, by the way, most of my ancestors were forced into servitude by having their lands taken in Scotland and Ireland. I suspect they never learned "English" or to like anything "English." I speak AmeriCAN. If you do not speak my language, then when I say "Watch out," you are going to be hit by that bus.
[B]The weed of crime bears bitter fruit. Crime does not pay. Cogito, ergo armatus sum. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who shall guard the guardians? Born, raised, and spent most of my life in the Round-Up Capital of the World, Pendleton, Oregon... Where men are men and sheep aren't scared.

Last edited by JohnLloydScharf; 07-11-2013 at 17:12..
JohnLloydScharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 19:27   #17
The_Gun_Guru
Ban Democrats!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLloydScharf View Post
Instead of discouraging firearms with laws that infringe, they should provide training for every head of household, if not every adult. The government should provide ranges and a low cost ammo allotment for every citizen who wants to increase their proficiency. It would lower the cost of public safety.

But, then, that would require planning, would work, and makes sense, any one of which the US government obviously is terrified to do and punishes those who advocate it as employees.
Could not agree more!!!

TGG

Tags
40-round, magazines, mini-14, national