SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-03-2013, 13:00   #1
techvoodoo

Glock 19 Gen 3 - Brass to Face

Hello, new poster here.

I just bought a Glock 19 Gen 3 about a month ago. It's test fire cases have an April 15th 2013 date on the package, and the gun has a UVX Serial # prefix.

Over 600 hundred rounds fired so far I am experiencing brass to the face incidents. Usually around 1 or 2 per 15 round magazine. Here's some video of the ejection I shot during the last range session.

EDIT: Part 2 Video Added after receiving the Glock 19 Gen 3 back from Glock warranty/repair. Brass to Face issues still persist after 'repair' and the gun was sent back a 2nd time following this test session.

The gun has been sent back to Glock and I have my fingers crossed that it comes back in perfect working order. I really really love this gun. Compared to my Springfield XDM I prefer the Glock in every way, you know except the whole getting beaned in the head with brass issue.

I have been seeing several reports now from people that they have had the same issue, and after sending it in to Glock and getting it back, the BTF problem was not resolved. I'm a bit nervous that I'm going to be in that same boat. I hope it gets fixed, but the way my luck is I am not optimistic.

If that is the case, planning for worst case scenario, what would you recommend I do? Send it back again or try and fix it myself?

My Glock 19 Gen 3 had the 336 ejector, and the dipped extractor.

I've read people have had luck switching to the 30274 ejector. If I buy the trigger housing with a 30274 ejector on it, will it drop into my Gen 3 Glock 19?

I've heard people say that Apex makes an extractor that fixes the problem, I've heard others say Lone Wolf has one that fixes it, and I've had people tell me to just spend $10 on a new extractor, but they don't say what extractor that is. The Apex is like $60, that's a bit steep to just hope it fixes it.

If I go with the Apex, their site says I should use a different Spring Loaded Bearing. I've taken the Extractor Depressor Plunger assembly out of mine but it doesn't seem like the Spring Loaded Bearing comes off easily. I'm afraid if I give it a hard tug I will stretch the spring.

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by techvoodoo; 07-06-2013 at 22:20..
techvoodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 21:04   #2
GPBob

If you do a search on this site you will find this subject covered ad nauseum. One of the cures I found was the 30274 ejector and a 40cal extractor. That worked on my FDE Gen 3 19. The 40cal extractor by itself worked on my other Gen 3 19. It took me a lot of different combinations and over a thousand rounds to come up with my fixes. I'm still working on my Gen 3 26.
GPBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:09   #3
Queen Bee

Either try again send it in, if it comes back the same tell them you want a brand new gun..

Or dump it on GB , and find yourself a nice older glock pref K letter or earlier..

Treat this like the mythical german made sig vs NH made..
Queen Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:30   #4
clarkz71

The 30274 ejector has helped many shooters but
You have to order a gen4 housing and swap the
New ejector into your gen3 housing.

If that doesn't correct it Lone Wolf extractors are
Investment cast steel like the older pre MIM
crap current Glock parts. Last thing to try would
Be the Apex machined steel part.

Check the extractor tension with a round. A non LCI SLB will give you more tension if needed.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
G23 gen3 .40/.357 Sig
Florida Glocker #1923
clarkz71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:09   #5
INEEDMILK

Try a 30274 ejector ($15) and a White Sound Defense HRED ($20) before going down the APEX road.

I'm fairly certain that those two parts will fix the problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
INEEDMILK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:52   #6
F106 Fan

What ammo are you using?

The Glock is built to shoot NATO ammo so a 124 gr bullet moving at 1200 fps or so. Find something that says NATO on the box.

Try a magazine full of Speer GDHP 124 gr at 1310 fps.

Loads have a Power Factor rating - bullet weight in grains times velocity in fps all divided by 1000.

A 124 gr bullet moving at 1310 fps has a PF of 165 whereas a 115 gr bullet moving at barely 1100 fps has a PF of 127 - about 23% less recoil. And recoil runs the gun!

You can also try the suggestions above regarding extractors and ejectors. Perhaps some combination of parts will allow you to shoot underpowered ammunition.

This BTF thing has been going on since 2010 so it isn't anything new.

Richard
Old 06-04-2013, 07:01   #7
9mmdude

If it isn't fixed when you get it back send it back. Glock knows what the problem is. All these Glocks with problems magically appeared after all the years where they ran great.

They need to make them like they used too. Saving a couple of bucks per gun using mim parts isn't all it is cracked up to be.
9mmdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:47   #8
Shiloh228

I have a G19 Gen 3 (Dec 2012)

I've noticed a few BTTOH (brass to top of head...actually landed soft enough to stay there...) -- and I've attributed it to [gasp] my limp-wristing.

A newbie, I'd been working on sight picture/trigger control, and focusing on that and not really paying attention to grip. I noticed that the gun seemed really loose as my grip had gradually become very "relaxed," resulting in the gun flipping up a lot.

Firmed up the grip/arms, and ejection was fine.

Just sayin'...worth watching out for.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:55   #9
CDW4ME

It's Glock Talk, you are here to discuss Glocks

A search might not result in discovering a simple concise fix.
Maybe the OP will be rewarded by replies of what actually worked and kept on working.

OP I'm guessing the SA doesn't throw brass at your head regardless of grip.

Last edited by CDW4ME; 06-04-2013 at 07:57.. Reason: In before more "It's your grip" replies.
CDW4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:59   #10
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmdude View Post
If it isn't fixed when you get it back send it back. Glock knows what the problem is. All these Glocks with problems magically appeared after all the years where they ran great.

They need to make them like they used too. Saving a couple of bucks per gun using mim parts isn't all it is cracked up to be.
x2

I would pay more for a MIM free Glock.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:21   #11
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
A search might not result in discovering a simple concise fix.
Maybe the OP will be rewarded by replies of what actually worked and kept on working.

OP I'm guessing the SA doesn't throw brass at your head regardless of grip.
Some 'fixes' work on some guns and not on others. There is NO universal fix. There's a long sticky at the top of the forum that purports to provide a fix. I'm not sure that it does.

And, yes, the XD9 ejects just fine, even with Federal Champion.

Everybody wants to mess around with the ejector and extractor. I think the guns are oversprung for the wimpy ammo that users want to shoot. I would get a 'calibration pack' of springs from Wolff Springs. There are a couple of downsides to reducing the spring rate: First, if the spring is too light, the slide and frame take a beating. Second, if the spring is too light, cocking the striker will take the gun out of battery. So then you lighten up on the striker spring and you get light primer strikes. So then you use a titanium striker. The whole gun is a balancing act. Changing one thing leads to another.

I have read of similar problems with the G36s. I'm here to tell you, run full power ammo and the ejection is robust. I don't necessarily want to run full power .45 but the gun eats it up. Regular hardball (230 gr, 814 fps measured from G36) works well as does Hornady Critical Defense (185 gr at 929 fps measured from G36).

It would sure be nice if there was a universal fix but, alas, I don't think there is.

Richard
Old 06-04-2013, 09:26   #12
techvoodoo

Thanks for all the replies, have a few questions and other pieces of info.

I think my grip is good. You can see in the video I posted how I grip the gun. I don't have this or any other problems with my XDM 4.5 or my XDM 3.8 Compact, any of my 1911's, my Beretta 92fs, or friends Glock 22, or any other handgun I've ever shot.

Regarding ammo, I've tested it with Winchester White Box 115gr FMJ, PMC 115gr FMJ, American Eagle 124gr FMJ, Speer Lawman 124gr FMJ, American Eagle 147gr FMJ, and Federal HST 147gr FMJ. Only 100 rounds of each type so not extensive testing with any single type of ammo. I had brass to the face or head with each type, the lower weight stuff more often than the heavier.

Unfortunately with the ammo availability the way it is I haven't been able to pick and choose what I want to shoot out of it easily.

If it doesn't work after coming back and I decide to try and make some modifications myself, I haven't been able to find a tutorial on taking a 30274 ejector and putting it into the Glock 19 Trigger Housing. Does anyone have a video showing how that is done by chance? I couldn't find one.

In any event I'll post updates when it gets back from Glock with the results. Thanks for the feedback so far I appreciate it.
techvoodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:47   #13
WayneJessie

If you have no luck when it comes back from Glock I would try the Gen4 ejector before replacing additional parts. If that does not help and you really want to keep that gun I'd spring for the Apex extractor. I purchased a late-Gen3 like yours that dribbled cases; BTF; and would even eject to the left. I probably should have attempted to fix it but I held a Gen4 and liked the grip on it a little more so I traded. Really, if I could start over with owning a G19 I would have found a clean Gen2 even it cost as much as a new Gen4 but that's just me.
Gen2 & early Gen3 units never needed NATO-spec ammo to eject consistently so whatever Glock changed that is causing the current issues should be reversed even if the guns have to have a price increase to do it.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:50   #14
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by techvoodoo View Post
Regarding ammo, I've tested it with Winchester White Box 115gr FMJ, PMC 115gr FMJ, American Eagle 124gr FMJ, Speer Lawman 124gr FMJ, American Eagle 147gr FMJ, and Federal HST 147gr FMJ. Only 100 rounds of each type so not extensive testing with any single type of ammo. I had brass to the face or head with each type, the lower weight stuff more often than the heavier.
Initially, I thought the Federal HST would make the power factor but, no, it's still short.

You can get velocity for various factory loads from:
http://www.targetsportsusa.com/c-51-9mm-luger-ammo.aspx

Look for something that approaches NATO power levels. Most don't even come close. It turns out that NATO levels are considered +P. So, maybe a 124 gr +P by any commercial outfit. Winchester makes some as does Speer with their GDHP and they even have a version for short barrels.

Yes, supplies are thin. I have no idea where to find this stuff.

I could just barely make the power factor with a 147 gr bullet moving 1095 fps. But that would be using data from HandLoads.com and I'm not certain I would do that without some manufacturer data to support it.

Richard

Last edited by F106 Fan; 06-04-2013 at 20:08..
F106 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:58   #15
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

Watching your grip (and frequent regripping) is telling. It's no wonder all brass didn't travel the exact same path. Weak ejection is a concern, if it is such that it interferes with weapon function. Ever getting touched by brass is not. There are defective glocks out there. But folks who don't understand what normal expectations for shooter and gun are far outnumber actual problem units these days. There's just a greater disparity than ever before between the real and the percieved issues. Thanks Al Gore.

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 06-04-2013 at 11:27..
Bill Lumberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:22   #16
TTex
Cannon Fodder

I'd try the Gen 4 ejector first, and then try to find a factory non-dipped extractor. My wife's Gen 4 had the updated internals, but still liked to pitch brass at us. The White Sound H.E.R.D seemed to help a little, but it was a non-dipped extractor that did the most for the G19. All my Gen 4 G26 needed was the new ejector.
TTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:42   #17
gmbat

I have a 1992 G22. I reload and shot thousands of rounds of the same "light" load, got BTF on a regular bases. I read through the GATE on this site about BTF and the guy that owns Lone Wolf (the expert) replied every time, try different ammo until you find one that works. I tried a new load - heavier bullet, a bit more powder and low and behold, no more BTF. Guess the expert knows what he is talking about. And notice, the 22 is one of the oldies and goodies. Not saying this will fix every Glock that has the problem, but it worked for me.
gmbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:54   #18
WCork

Hopefully your issue gets resolved. I just bought a Gen 3 19 with a test fire date of 5/1/13 and it has the 336 ejector in it. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but I hate to say that I'm not optimistic. You seem to have more patience than me though, because I really wouldn't want to send it back to Glock and wait for a 6-8 week turnaround on it.

Did you have any FTE's when firing with it?
WCork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:50   #19
clarkz71

If weak ammo is the reason for BTF then how do you explain
perfect ejecting G19's and G17's pre 2009.

Weak ammo has been around as long as Glock.

Shooting "NATO" 124gr and hi power SD loads is a crutch
for out of spec slides with crap extractors. The LCI extractor
is part of the problem but worked when they were still
investment cast steel. When Glock switched to MIM it
magnified a problem that was already there.
G23 gen3 .40/.357 Sig
Florida Glocker #1923
clarkz71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 13:15   #20
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkz71 View Post
If weak ammo is the reason for BTF then how do you explain
perfect ejecting G19's and G17's pre 2009.

Weak ammo has been around as long as Glock.

Shooting "NATO" 124gr and hi power SD loads is a crutch
for out of spec slides with crap extractors. The LCI extractor
is part of the problem but worked when they were still
investment cast steel. When Glock switched to MIM it
magnified a problem that was already there.
There is no doubt the guns are different. There is no question that the extractor is part of the problem and there is some hint that the slot in the slide may not properly position the extractor. The gap between the breech face and extractor hook may be too big.

The thing is, Glock doesn't make early Gen 3s or Gen 2s any longer. It really doesn't matter that those guns worked and the current versions don't. You have to use what you can get.

Particuaraly in the G36 world, you will see a lot of threads that go something like: "My G36 works perfectly with SD ammo but I can't afford to shoot it and I get a lot of FTEs with range ammo. What's wrong with my gun?". Nothing! It was designed for full power ammo and it just may not like .45 Wimpy.

Then someone comes along and says "Hey, my G36 works fine with .45 Wimpy!". Who cares? The OPs gun doesn't. And until they shoot full power loads it may never. Once again, there are a number of 'parts swaps' solutions and they might even work. But in the case of the 9mm guns, 'parts swaps' aren't universally successful.

Richard

Last edited by F106 Fan; 06-04-2013 at 14:27..
F106 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote