Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:00   #1
duramaxdiesel09

Recently Built Glocks Slide Finish

I have been a Glock freak for a while now and have owned many of them. I recently purchased a G22 Gen4 brand new at the local dealer. The gun they walked out of the back had a huge mark on top of the slide close to the muzzle straight out of the box. I refused that one and told the guy I wanted the one in the display case. He boxed it up and I bought it after inspection. Both of those guns were test fired sometime in mid April. My question is have any of you had problems with the finish on the slide around this test fire date? The finish on my gun has scratches all over it already, and i baby my Glocks. It doesn't seem like the normal Glock finish to me. My 30S was tested mid March, and the finish on it is perfect. I've carried and abused it everyday since I got it and not a single smudge! I held the guns side by side and the 22 slide looks to have a more grey tint of color than the plain black 30S slide.
Maybe some of you can shed light on this :confused:
G19 Gen4
G26 Gen3
duramaxdiesel09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:03   #2
AZ Husker

Back when they were using Tennifer you could hit them with a chisel. I don't know what they've changed to, but it is not nearly the quality of the recent years.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:27   #3
Made in Austria

I saw a lot of blemished Glocks at several gun shops in my area lately. Not sure what Glock is thinking right now. Most will just say, hey it's Glock who cares! I don't listen to that becasue I don't like getting screwed. I'd demand a replacement gun or a perfect refinishing job, with no shipping costs back to the factory to me. Only that way Glock will pull itself together and start producing the guns they are known for again. No wonder the finish quality is going down with all that people saying, "It's a Glock, who cares".

I think there is a difference between a nice normal wear from use, and getting a brand new gun which has scatches all over it from careless employees and management.

Last edited by Made in Austria; 06-03-2013 at 09:36..
Made in Austria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:45   #4
duramaxdiesel09

I will just end up calling Glock. The finish on my 30S is perfect, and the test fire date was just a month earlier than the gun I'm having issues with. We will see how it goes.
G19 Gen4
G26 Gen3
Old 06-03-2013, 09:45   #5
WayneJessie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made in Austria View Post
I saw a lot of blemished Glocks at several gun shops in my area lately. Not sure what Glock is thinking right now. Most will just say, hey it's Glock who cares! I don't listen to that becasue I don't like getting screwed. I'd demand a replacement gun or a perfect refinishing job, with no shipping costs back to the factory to me. Only that way Glock will pull itself together and start producing the guns they are known for again. No wonder the finish quality is going down with all that people saying, "It's a Glock, who cares".

I think there is a difference between a nice normal wear from use, and getting a brand new gun which has scatches all over it from careless employees and management.
No, if you complain about Glock's slipping quality on here you'll be accused of nit-picking or being a troll(whatever a troll is). Since Glock does not use stainless steel for their slides it makes their surface treaments paramount in protecting the gun from rust.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:54   #6
moonwilson

I recently bought a 35 Gen4 and it has the smooth, matte grey finish on it, as opposed to the slightly dimpled, glossy black finish I'm used to. It doesn't look as nice as the old finish, and looks like it might wear off more easily, but time will tell. I'm willing to give the finish the benefit of the doubt and see how it holds up with use.

One thing that is very obvious about the newer guns is the quality of the magazines that are shipping nowadays. There are mold marks and irregularities all over all 3 of the magazines that came with my pistol. They don't look like the Glock magazines I've been buying and using for years at all. Honestly, they look about as well made as the el-cheapo Korean Glock mags, but they are marked "Austria". It makes me think that Glock was just cranking out high-capacity magazines as quickly as possible in anticipation of the proposed restrictions, and let quality slide. They seem to function just fine, but they sure do look cheap.
moonwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:00   #7
duramaxdiesel09

I just got off the phone with a tech person at Glock. He said that the "slide finishes have varied". He told me to return the slide, but it would be refinished with the same finish it has now. Turnaround time was at 6 to 8 weeks also. He could not explain why the finish on my 30S was different, only that the slide finishes had varied.
G19 Gen4
G26 Gen3
Old 06-03-2013, 12:00   #8
WayneJessie

Quote:
Originally Posted by duramaxdiesel09 View Post
I just got off the phone with a tech person at Glock. He said that the "slide finishes have varied". He told me to return the slide, but it would be refinished with the same finish it has now. Turnaround time was at 6 to 8 weeks also. He could not explain why the finish on my 30S was different, only that the slide finishes had varied.
I think I would just keep it and see haw it holds up. Obviously if you have any corrosion problems in the future Glock will correct it.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:14   #9
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
Back when they were using Tennifer you could hit them with a chisel. I don't know what they've changed to, but it is not nearly the quality of the recent years.
Black nitride.......same end result, different combo of chemicals
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:20   #10
clarkz71

My 23 year old G19's finish is nicer then some of the
new Glocks I've seen in my area LGS.

And it's no safe queen.

General Glocking
G23 gen3 .40/.357 Sig
Florida Glocker #1923
clarkz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 13:23   #11
WCork

I just bought a NIB Gen 3 G19 last week and noticed a couple dings on the slide. Nothing major but not what I've previously seen when I bought my G26 and 27. My test fired casings show a date of 5/1/13. It's not worth the hassle to me, to send it back to Glock but it better not cause any rust or other issues or ill be ticked.
WCork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 13:29   #12
duramaxdiesel09

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonwilson View Post
I recently bought a 35 Gen4 and it has the smooth, matte grey finish on it, as opposed to the slightly dimpled, glossy black finish I'm used to. It doesn't look as nice as the old finish, and looks like it might wear off more easily, but time will tell. I'm willing to give the finish the benefit of the doubt and see how it holds up with use.

One thing that is very obvious about the newer guns is the quality of the magazines that are shipping nowadays. There are mold marks and irregularities all over all 3 of the magazines that came with my pistol. They don't look like the Glock magazines I've been buying and using for years at all. Honestly, they look about as well made as the el-cheapo Korean Glock mags, but they are marked "Austria". It makes me think that Glock was just cranking out high-capacity magazines as quickly as possible in anticipation of the proposed restrictions, and let quality slide. They seem to function just fine, but they sure do look cheap.

My Gen4 22 is exactly as you described your 35-- smooth and almost matte grey in color. I'm not happy with the finish at all! I have yet to shoot 100 rounds through it and it has scratches all over the slide. What is the test fire date on your 35? It could be in with the same run as my 22. Glock acts like they haven't changed the finish but something has changed and I don't like it! It seems like they are trying to cut corners to make the manufacturing process quicker in order to make more guns to meet demand. My 30S has the normal textured black finish that we all know, and it's only a month older. I wish some Glock representative would chime in and let us know why.
G19 Gen4
G26 Gen3
Old 06-03-2013, 16:35   #13
kenndapp

same experience as most...... new April test fire g17.

crappy uneven looking matt grey finish. nasty scrapes near the muzzle end right out of the box. i really don't care because i am chopping this slide up and giving it the finish of my choice. should end looking something like this.....
General Glocking

but if had not had thees plans for it...i would very very upset to say the least.

Last edited by kenndapp; 06-03-2013 at 16:37..
kenndapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 17:54   #14
MattDFW

Send a message via ICQ to MattDFW
My new Glock 19 Gen 3 is arriving tomorrow. Can hardly wait to see the slide finish. Hopefully, it won't be too chewed up already.
MattDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 20:22   #15
Squeeze

After reading this thread, I checked my new G23 Gen4,
against my last year purchased G17 Gen4. The G17 has
the dimpled black and the G23 has the kind of
black(more toward charcoal) matte finish. You are not
alone, I don't like the new finish, either. But I love the
pistol. I will use it some, and take it to a GSSF match, and
visit about the differences with a Glock armorer. The G20SF,
G30SF, G27 Gen3, and the G17 Gen4, have the
black dimpled finish. I would have preferred this G23 did
too, but the way it shoots, I can probably live with
it...Until it gets beat up a bit more. Then explore my
options...

Squeeze

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Last edited by Squeeze; 06-04-2013 at 07:59..
Squeeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 20:48   #16
duramaxdiesel09

I will just beat mine to death til I can't stand it anymore and then have it cerakoted. We will see just how good this finish will hold up.
G19 Gen4
G26 Gen3
Old 06-03-2013, 21:34   #17
Castello Dunhill

The new finish is horrible. I would send it out for a Fail Zero or NiB-X finish instead of sending it back to Glock.
Castello Dunhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 21:40   #18
duramaxdiesel09

Here are some pictures I took to show the differences in the slide texture. Guns built only a month apart. Notice a few of the marks on the G22 slide.

General Glocking

General Glocking

Some people may accuse me of complaining, but this is just not like a brand new Glock. I've got a 6 year old G19 that doesn't have a mark on it and it was my everyday carry until I got the 30S. I'm starting to see small glitter size spots shining through the finish on the G22. This may be a problem they have to fix on a lot of pistols in the future.
G19 Gen4
G26 Gen3
Old 06-03-2013, 21:50   #19
Made in Austria

Thanks for posting the pics! That looks terrible for a brand new gun. This is not acceptable IMO.

Was that scratch mark or whatever it is already there (red arrow) when you bought it, or did you do that?

General Glocking

Last edited by Made in Austria; 06-03-2013 at 21:55..
Made in Austria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 21:54   #20
tilefish

Duramax, I assume the upper picture is the newer/undesirable finish? I have heard about these issues but never actually seen them. I have purchased three NIB Glocks since February and all three have a good, black finish on them like your 30S. The most recent one I purchased had test fire date of less than 3 weeks ago, so its really new lol.
tilefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 22:24   #21
papercidal

my new 26 test fires 5-15-13 has the cheep parkerized finish and had a few good sized scratches on the top of the slide. They did the same changes about 3-4 years ago last time they got behind due to panic buying. Hopefully they will get back to the frying pan type finish that has worked so well for years.
papercidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 22:58   #22
igorts

adding my new G19 to the list. same issue with new finish and scratches near muzzle from factory.
S&W TRR8
Glock 29SF G20SF-L G34 G19
igorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 23:17   #23
duramaxdiesel09

To my knowledge, the slide was not scratched when I left the store with it. The one they tried to give me definitely was! It had a huge mark on the very top of the slide. He broke the seal on the box with me standing there. I refused that one quickly. I have done no more than get this one out of the box 2 or 3 times to shoot it in the last two weeks. Then, I put it back into the box and in the safe. I would compare the finish on this gun to a chalk board. The marks in the pictures aren't the only ones on it.
G19 Gen4
G26 Gen3
Old 06-04-2013, 04:23   #24
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

The 22 gen 4 flat finish in the picture above is like early gen 3 and gen 2 guns. It's a flat finish that marks easily, but the marks go away with cleaning or a bit of oil.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:49   #25
CDW4ME

First they start using MIM small parts.
Now they mess up the slide finish.
Glock is ruining the Glock perfection of years ago.
What's next, make the slide out of zinc?