Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-02-2013, 14:47   #1
Restless28

Workout Routine Suggestions

As some of you know, I've made it a mission to help my overweight son lose weight while I workout alongside him.

We're on a 3 day a week routine from the gym owner.

5 minutes cardio
3 sets leg curls
3 sets leg extensions
3 sets leg press
3 sets calf raises
3 sets bicep curls
3 sets tricep extensions
3 sets rows
3 sets lat pulldowns
3 sets incline press
3 sets rear overhead press
3 sets machine crunches
5 minutes cardio cool down

We've gotten stronger, but his endurance fades on the shoulder and overhead presses. I think it's too many movements and it takes 1.5 hours even if we push hard.

Because of his weight issue, I think he needs more cardio, and maybe split up the movements between 3 days. He's also getting a bit bored and "not feeling it" by the end.

Any suggestions?
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 15:09   #2
yam

Send a message via Yahoo to yam
Stronglifts 5x5

http://stronglifts.com

In my humble opinion the best starter program out there.
yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 15:16   #3
glock1911revolver
Vice-Emperor

Are you doing the routine in the same order every time? I used to lift that way, but someone suggested mixing up the order, and I noticed that I firmed up much better. Endurance also improved a bit.

Just my humble (and not a professional trainer by any stretch of the imagination) opinion.

Stick with it!
Old 06-02-2013, 15:18   #4
Restless28

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock1911revolver View Post
Are you doing the routine in the same order every time? I used to lift that way, but someone suggested mixing up the order, and I noticed that I firmed up much better. Endurance also improved a bit.

Just my humble (and not a professional trainer by any stretch of the imagination) opinion.

Stick with it!
No, we mix it up each time, mostly due to the crowd.
Old 06-02-2013, 15:36   #5
FCastle88

Unless you're lifting light weights and doing a lot of reps per set, using the same muscles 3 days a week may be too much. My workouts are more body building/strength training oriented than weight loss, so might be different for you. If you're trying to gain muscle, you have to let the muscles rest to repair and grow, try only using each muscle group 1-2 days a week, and cut the workout down to an hour. You're right, he needs a LOT more cardio for significant weight loss, 5 minutes before and after lifting is just for warming up, not weight loss.

For significant results, I'd recommend around 45 minutes of cardio at least 2-3 days a week, and then split the lifting up between 2 days. Do the cardio and lifting on separate days, or you'll be too tired to do either properly. For example, do cardio Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, do most of your upper body lifting on Tuesday, and your abs and legs on Thursday. Adjust as needed to fit your schedule, or just to mix things up a little. I'm assuming you already know this, but diet is just as important as the workout, if not more so.
FCastle88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 15:37   #6
Detectorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless28 View Post
As some of you know, I've made it a mission to help my overweight son lose weight while I workout alongside him.

We're on a 3 day a week routine from the gym owner.

5 minutes cardio
*3 sets leg curls
*3 sets leg extensions
3 sets leg press
*3 sets calf raises
*3 sets bicep curls
*3 sets tricep extensions
*3 sets rows
3 sets lat pulldowns
3 sets incline press
*3 sets rear overhead press
3 sets machine crunches
5 minutes cardio cool down

We've gotten stronger, but his endurance fades on the shoulder and overhead presses. I think it's too many movements and it takes 1.5 hours even if we push hard.

Because of his weight issue, I think he needs more cardio, and maybe split up the movements between 3 days. He's also getting a bit bored and "not feeling it" by the end.

Any suggestions?
Restless, eliminate the *small* exercises like bicep curls.

Just do:

Squats
Deadlifts
Overhead press
Bench press
Pull downs or chinups.

Use the 'Starting Strength' book as a guide. For more info PM me.

“The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place”. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 15:44   #7
Restless28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detectorist View Post

Just do:

Squats
Deadlifts
Overhead press
Bench press
Pull downs or chinups.

I like this. This is similar to the SimpleFit routine that I had great results from with only pull-ups, push-ups, and air squats.

My son cannot do pull-ups or chin-ups yet.

Can you come up with a 3 day program with some increased cardio for him?
Old 06-02-2013, 16:04   #8
aplcr0331
SortaHeuristic

Wow, I'm in the same boat you are. Me and my oldest son are way overweight. He does get teased at school (mostly by the girls which seems to be more devastating than normal) and I fear it will get worse when he hits Junior High.

How did you convince him to work out? Does he play any sports or other physical activites? I'm at a loss, it's hard enough to motivate myself to workout and I have no idea how to get the boy to go along with it.

Anyway, good luck to you and your son!
But the rest of you, especially the rest of you under 30, wake up. The day is approaching where the media will redefine what is right or meaningful, redefine you as meaningless...And you'll believe it.

Last edited by aplcr0331; 06-02-2013 at 16:04..
aplcr0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 16:04   #9
zagzig

Kettle bell cardio workout. Great way to build some real world strength and cardio.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 06-02-2013, 16:11   #10
Daltini

If his goal is to lose weight build yourself up to sprints ERRYDAY. like 20 per day
Daltini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 16:24   #11
silentpoet

Where are the squats and deadlifts?
silentpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 16:27   #12
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter

workout suggestions

Cardio (long/slow) does not equal weight loss. Decrease the duration and increase the intensity. Do intervals. Do burpees.

Ditch the single joint exercises and do only compound, strength/mass building exercises: dead lifts, squats, pull ups, chins, presses, push ups, bench presses.

Last edited by Green_Manelishi; 06-02-2013 at 16:28..
Green_Manelishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 16:38   #13
SunGunner

You have the answers here, Detectorist's programming and intervals ( I prefer intervals on the bike) or sprints. You could do Push (overhead press and bench), Pull (Rows, pull downs, face pulls), Legs (squats & deads), or you could do an upper body and lower body together and rotate through the three days. Either way compound lifts as the core and curls, triceps, and shoulder raises as accessory after you crush the main lifts if you have the energy.
SunGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 16:40   #14
Calico Jack
NO QUARTER

Tagged

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Calico Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 16:47   #15
Restless28

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
Wow, I'm in the same boat you are. Me and my oldest son are way overweight. He does get teased at school (mostly by the girls which seems to be more devastating than normal) and I fear it will get worse when he hits Junior High.

How did you convince him to work out? Does he play any sports or other physical activites? I'm at a loss, it's hard enough to motivate myself to workout and I have no idea how to get the boy to go along with it.

Anyway, good luck to you and your son!
I simply told him that I would go with him and do everything that he did.
Old 06-02-2013, 16:52   #16
Hellraiser

23 minutes per day... on a gazelle because I have really bad knees....

2 minutes warmup... 20 minutes workout... 1 minute wrapup.

Can watch TV... listen to radio.. anything... super-quiet...

Have not missed a day since January 26, 2009. The day I stopped being the Pillsbury doeboy.

^..^
Hellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 17:11   #17
hogship
It's MY Island

Forget about the gym, because you'll need to spread out the workout over the day's time. Get yourself some simple home equipment to start with.

Go for intermediate weight, pump hard, for 5 sets of one or two minutes apiece. The number of reps isn't the point.....it's the amount of effort expended over a designated period of time. It's important to keep increasing the weight and difficulty to the point where you are close to failure, so don't stagnate. Dumbbells are the best, and those springy things work, and are cheap. Keep adding springs and chocking up to add difficulty. As you accumulate equipment, you will be eliminating the springy things in favor of more sophisticated equipment, but they are an excellent place to start.

Get at least one good cardio machine to start with.....more is better. I have several......orbital, treadmill, upright bike, rowing machine, stepper....... Any of the above will do.....the object is to get the heart used to pumping faster and stronger. The better your heart works, the better your results will be. Your muscles need blood, and lots of it, if you want improvement.......not to mention that a strong heart and circulatory system isn't just as important.

Don't worry about time.......adjust your workout to be harder, not longer. I workout twice a day for 15 minutes a session, morning and afternoon, five days a week. That adds up to 2 1/2 hours of good solid real-time workout every week. That's enough, and best for good results.

It's extremely important to give your body a period of rest, or "recovery time". I do this by not working out on the weekends, except for some bicycle riding during spring/summer/fall. Working out every day will actually decrease your results......give it a rest.

Losing weight is very simple, use more calories than you take in.......your results are guaranteed! Count calories........and quit eating what you know darn well isn't good for you.

You and your son can rent movies and play music to make the time go faster........It's what my sons and I have done. Workouts can be more than just "what's good for you"........it can be fun!......and, it can also be good quality father/son time!

good luck.........

ooc
Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link
www.picturetrail.com/taipan22alpha

Last edited by hogship; 06-02-2013 at 17:46..
hogship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:17   #18
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to jpa Send a message via Yahoo to jpa
So....is he trying to lose weight or build muscle mass/strength? If he wants to lose weight, nothing beats good old fashioned cardio. Instead of buying a bunch of cardio machines or going to the gym and staring at the wall while using stationary equipment....walk, jog, bike and swim. I highly recommend the couch-to-5k app for android if he has a smart phone. In the past year by doing this program and watching my food intake (limiting portion sizes, not necessarily quality) I've dropped around 40 lbs.

How old is your son? School age? College? Older? Is he interested in any sports? Even if he doesn't play competitive sports maybe playing intramural type games or in a league might help....depending on how overweight he is, any activity is bound to help.
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
Moto Club #1408, GSSF Member, NRA RSO
NRA Benefactor Member
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:54   #19
ron59
Bustin Caps

Instead of a full body workout 3 days a week.... try a 4 day per week workout?

Split the workouts. Work Chest and legs one day, maybe back and some other leg exercises another day. Chest is all "pushing" movements, you work chest and tri-ceps.
Back is all pulling movements, such as lat pull downs, rowing motions, or curls.

This should allow the workouts to be shorter, you just add add another day. I'd also try to do 30 minutes of cardio somewhere in there, if possible. Ideally, 30 minutes of cardio, and 45 of lifting of something. Lift first so you have max energy, then treadmill or bike until you're pooped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
“WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!”
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:23   #20
OneBigDude

I've always had a hard time with my weight. At 25, I'm pretty much fed up with all of the diets I had tried. I always played sports, football, baseball,wrestling, power lifting, track, you name it I played it. Sports helped me drop some weight during season, but not significant amounts. I read a thread on here about diets or paleo vs. primal living. After researching, I went completely primal and have dropped 40 lbs since April 1, 2013. I got back into lifting 3 days a week and discovered kettlebell workouts. I have more energy, better skin, and my muscles are more defined than they ever were when I was competing in power lifting comps. On the non-lifting days and weekends, I ride a bike somewhere around 20 miles each outing. I feel great and the weight is still falling off. Look into markdailyapple for how to go primal. The problem I always had with dieting is that a diet gets you to your goal and you slowly ween off. Primal has become a lifestyle change that I highly enjoy. Have some great recipes for pizza, stuffed peppers, all kinds of things. Primal is not a "diet" and I don't plan on ever going back to the standard american diet.
OneBigDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 14:58   #21
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter

Another comment: don't focus on "losing weight". Focus on losing fat weight. If you are doing muscle building exercise you will be gaining muscle and might not notice a profound weight loss. However, your son should observe a profound change in body look and composition.

Last edited by Green_Manelishi; 06-04-2013 at 17:33..
Green_Manelishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:41   #22
dwhite53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detectorist View Post

Just do:

Squats
Deadlifts
Overhead press
Bench press
Pull downs or chinups.

Ditto.

For where you're starting from these 5 exercises will work 75% of the muscles in your body. A month of this with increasing weight.

I'd then break up your original workout into upper body/lower body(legs).

I used to do
day 1, upper body
day 2, 45 minutes aerobics
day 3, lower body with abs
day 4, rest

Weight training like most things is individual specific. You'll need to experiment around and find what works for you. I can build some leg strength. Not so much upper body. Just me.

All the Best,
D. White
Old 06-04-2013, 07:01   #23
GreenDrake
Rip Lips

It's not so much the workout as it is the diet. No matter what the fitness gurus tell ya, you have to change the diet to change the results long term. I am no expert but I would venture to say it's 80% diet and 20% conditioning. By diet I don't mean A diet I mean the way you eat. Fad diets are temporary.

Last edited by GreenDrake; 06-04-2013 at 07:02..
GreenDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:12   #24
lunarspeak

check out bodybuilding.com..great source of info..workout data base, articles and they have a pretty cheap online store

eat small meals 6 to 7 times a day,not only will eating like this ramp up your metabolism it will keep your insulin levels static

periodzation!!!!!!!!!!!!!! our bodies are made to adapt..do a work out for 6 to 8 weeks then switch it up....do higher reps for one work out cycle and then the next one do a more bodybuilding type workout 10-8 reps..then switch to a more strength devoted cycle using weights you can only do 6 to 8 reps..

nutrition is actually more important then working out..if you don't feel 100% then skip a workout to recharge ..never miss a meal

cardio burns fat while you do it and maybe a hour or so after wards....muscle burns calories 24/7

when I got into bodybuilding/powerlifting I started out at 480pds.....im now 220 and ripped using these basic rules.. YMMV
lunarspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:29   #25
W Turner

Body composition is 80% diet and 20% exercise. Someone else already suggested Paleo/primal. Look into it.

Lots of meat, healthy fats(animal fats, olive and coconut oil) and veggies, limited fruit, dairy, and nuts. No legumes, grains, seed oils or sugar.

For a workout routine 5x5, Stronglifts, Starting Strength are all good ones. The compound lifts will speed up your metabolism thru building whole body muscle and they stimulate your body to produce/release hormones that promote muscle growth and fat loss. Eat clean, workout hard, sleep, repeat and you and your son will see results.

W
Kalashnikov Klub #0511
W Turner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exercise, suggestions