SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-31-2013, 23:15   #1
tilefish

G20 reassembly problem

G20, I can't get the slide to go on.

I picked up a new G20 and I was having an issue where I could not get the slide back on no matter what I tried. I could get it almost all the way but it would not budge after a certain point. I took out and put the barrel back in, I was messing with the guide rod and nothing would help. After a little google-fu, I found that others have had a similar problem. I was able to get it on after fiddling with the trigger a bit.

I got it back together and everything was fine, the gun disassembled and reassemble just fine but then it started again. I can work around it but something is not right. If I install the slide until it stops, I then have to move it slightly forward and reset the trigger (for lack of a better description) by getting my finger behind it and pushing it forward. I can then move the slide back a tiny bit further until I hear a click. I can now pull the trigger again and the slide goes back on.

This is really weird, I have a pretty thorough understanding of how the gun works and all I can come up with is that the trigger bar is interfering in some way. Yet when I compare every last part/detail to my G19, I find everything is identical (other than size of course) and nothing looks wrong. Is this possibly related to the trigger bar dimple? I have found a few other instances where folks were experiencing the same issue but there is no clear reason I can find.

This gun is brand new and unfired, other that the test rounds at the factory.
tilefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 23:19   #2
Trapped_in_Kali

If you look at the barrel where the recoil spring assembly fits to re assemble, try putting the assembly on the notch closer to the barrel.
I don't know if this is you problem but it happened to me.
Trapped_in_Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 23:23   #3
tilefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapped_in_Kali View Post
If you look at the barrel where the recoil spring assembly fits to re assemble, try putting the assembly on the notch closer to the barrel.
I don't know if this is you problem but it happened to me.
Yeah, I have been trying that too and it doesn't seem to help. I feel like one of those orange armorers back plates would come real handy right about now.
Old 05-31-2013, 23:24   #4
F106 Fan

I find it easier to reassemble my new G36 if I push the disconnector toward the center of the frame and allow the trigger mechanism to reset.

You will certainly have a problem if the spring assembly isn't all the way down where it touches the barrel.

Richard
Old 05-31-2013, 23:31   #5
tilefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
I find it easier to reassemble my new G36 if I push the disconnector toward the center of the frame and allow the trigger mechanism to reset.

You will certainly have a problem if the spring assembly isn't all the way down where it touches the barrel.

Richard
I think you are hitting on my problem, tell if this sounds right:

Disassemble normally but try to reassemble normally and the slide will not go on...

However if before trying to reassemble I push the trigger forward, I then put the slide on an push back until I hear a "click", I then pull the trigger and it goes the res of the way on and cycles normally.

Does that sound like what you are referring to?
Old 05-31-2013, 23:36   #6
Trapped_in_Kali

Do you have the mag out? Don't think it will go back on with the mag in.

Just throwing ideas out.
Trapped_in_Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 23:44   #7
tilefish

Yup, mag is out. This is definitely odd.

The only thing I do know is that the trigger bar/assembly is interfering in some way. Maybe I should just put a box or two of ammo through it and see if it un-screws itself up lol.

Could it be the trigger dimple? I see that the Gen 3 models (which this is) are now shipping with the dimple on the bar... I just picked this gun up yesterday and the test fire date on the case envelope is two weeks ago, 5/16/13
Old 05-31-2013, 23:54   #8
bentbiker
NRA Member

With the slide off, point the muzzle end toward the floor and then push in on the firing pin safety plunger and release. This will hold the FP in the forward position and the plunger will stay depressed. Now put the slide back on and the trigger bar won't hang up on the plunger. After you get some more rounds through the gun this will probably not be necessary. Don't assemble after pulling the trigger forward as this puts unnecessary strain on the trigger safety, the trigger housing, and the cruciform, as the cruciform is in upper level of the housing and the lug on the FP must push it down to get past it.

Last edited by bentbiker; 05-31-2013 at 23:58..
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 00:03   #9
tilefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentbiker View Post
With the slide off, point the muzzle end toward the floor and then push in on the firing pin safety plunger and release. This will hold the FP in the forward position and the plunger will stay depressed. Now put the slide back on and the trigger bar won't hang up on the plunger. After you get some more rounds through the gun this will probably not be necessary. Don't assemble after pulling the trigger forward as this puts unnecessary strain on the trigger safety, the trigger housing, and the cruciform, as the cruciform is in upper level of the housing and the lug on the FP must push it down to get past it.
Thanks man, you just solved it. I tried it about ten times and it works perfectly. I think this beast just needs a little break-in. I can sleep easy tonight knowing that my new black tupperware is in good shape.

I appreciate all of you folks helping me think through it.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:35   #10
glockman99

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilefish View Post
I think you are hitting on my problem, tell if this sounds right:

Disassemble normally but try to reassemble normally and the slide will not go on...

However if before trying to reassemble I push the trigger forward, I then put the slide on an push back until I hear a "click", I then pull the trigger and it goes the rest of the way on and cycles normally.

Does that sound like what you are referring to?
Have you checked to see if by chance, you have a NY-1 trigger spring installed? The NY-1 trigger spring can cause exactly what you describe. I have the NY-1 trigger spring and 3.5 lb. connector in my G21, and to remove the slide, I have to pull the trigger once, then again (and hold it pressed) after the slide has gone past the slide lock.
glockman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 22:37   #11
RioFubeca

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentbiker View Post
was running into this same issue. was driving me nuts till i found this thread! thanks for the info
RioFubeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:00   #12
gatorboy

My G4 23 is the only Glock I have had an issue with i push the slide on as far as it goes and the pull the trigger forward about 1/16" and it goes on as it should and resets the trigger.
gatorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:44   #13
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

My Gen4 20 does this as well and I didn't know what the issue was. Now I know.
Old 07-02-2014, 17:00   #14
G19MN

I've got a Gen 4 G19that does the same thing-thanks for the thread!
G19MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 21:33   #15
nraman

I had it happen.
Sometimes the safety hole can be a bit rough.
After a few rounds it gets better, or you can polish it lightly.