Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:54   #1
WarCry

85 Yay votes

85 "Yay" votes, the IL House passes concealed carry. Now it goes back to the Senate, and, if approved, to the governor with a veto-proof majority.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:58   #2
Detectorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarCry View Post
85 "Yay" votes, the IL House passes concealed carry. Now it goes back to the Senate, and, if approved, to the governor with a veto-proof majority.
Keep dreaming. Even if it passed they will make it so difficult to get a CWP that few will be able to carry.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place”. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:10   #3
WarCry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detectorist View Post
Keep dreaming. Even if it passed they will make it so difficult to get a CWP that few will be able to carry.
I think it's a better-than-80% chance it's going to pass, because the state doesn't want the court order to kick in in 2 weeks and negate all anti-carry laws.

This is not a great bill. I'd be hesitant to even call it a good bill. However, it does a few good things, like completely erasing all local municipal gun laws (including Chicago's absurd registration and permitting system and their AWB), and it makes it Shall-Issue, not May-Issue.

And, I might also add, it's already passed the biggest hurdle. It needed 71 votes to preempt future Home-Rule attempts at bypassing it, and 71 votes in the House is needed to override a veto. This bill got 85. By my math, that's more than the 71 needed.

The Okie Corral

Last edited by WarCry; 05-24-2013 at 12:12..
WarCry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:14   #4
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Quote:
And you never thought that parking ticket would ever bite you on the ass.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:15   #5
Detectorist

I certainly hope it does pass and gets reciprocity with Missouri.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place”. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:17   #6
kostnerave

Quote:
Sorry to say this will NEVER become a reality in Il. I'm happy for you but it will be very short lived.
kostnerave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:31   #7
devildog2067

Quote:
Keep up with the news--the Illinois is on the verge of getting Constitutional carry. The Supreme Court said Illinois must become a carry state, all that's left to work out is the details.
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:33   #8
RHVEtte

Anyone got a link to the text for this bill? They've been floating around so many so-called "concealed carry" bills lately, it's making my head spin.
Liberty is a candle in a tempest. It is a rare and beautiful thing that must be jealously guarded, lest it be snuffed out. And like the candle, Liberty under tyranny is difficult to reignite. -- undoubtedly said by someone smarter than I.
RHVEtte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:41   #9
Jade Falcon
Go Blazers!

No skin off my ass. Pass it, or don't pass it, I don't give a ****. I have zero patience when it comes to States who don't recognize basic human rights. All who live there, who care about Freedom, should have moved out long ago. To me, there's no excuse for living in restrictive places such as Illinois, California, Hawaii, New York, or Washington DC. No excuse.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:48   #10
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

And with states that don't maintain their bridges.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:57   #11
WarCry

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHVEtte View Post
Anyone got a link to the text for this bill? They've been floating around so many so-called "concealed carry" bills lately, it's making my head spin.
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/98/S...2193ham002.htm
Old 05-24-2013, 13:12   #12
WarCry

Quote:
I certainly hope it does pass and gets reciprocity with Missouri.
Right now, with the current bill, reciprocity doesn't exist for all intents and purposes. If you're not a resident, you can present your home CCW in lieu of training, and pay $300 for a non-resident license. Which, in turn, means other states aren't going to recognize IL's permit, either.

That's just one of the problems for this bill, and it's a lesser concern for me, because I'm a resident and, frankly, I don't give TOO much of a damn if someone from MO can carry here, I'm worried more about someone from here carrying here.

That said, if/when this bill passes, since it will be the controlling authority for firearms laws (preempting Home Rule), that means when they start making changes to it, the changes will only need 60 votes to pass rather than 71. I believe the intent of Brandon Phelps, who wrote this bill, is to get it in place, then start whittling away at the more restrictive parts of it. Basically, show that, yes, we can have concealed carry without it turning into a blood bath, then start loosening the choke-hold.

A few notes:

Pros
Concealed Carry in IL
CCW that is Shall-issue, not May-issue
Eliminates any and all municipal or county gun laws that are contrary to this bill (meaning all of them, including any registration, any "purchase permit", and any assault weapons bans that are in place in Chicago right now.
Cars are "safe havens", so businesses and employers cannot restrict the storage of firearms in cars on their parking lots.

Cons
No real reciprocity
16 hours training (though the live-fire quals are a joke*)
Bad restrictions (namely public transit and public parks/playgrounds)

Middle-of-the-road (could be good or bad)
$150 for 5 years. That seems a bit steep, but there are some states that have higher, and it's still less than the $250 the ISP wanted. I don't like it, but $30/year isn't a sharp enough burden for me to fully throw it in the Con category. The cost for 16 hours of training, though, is probably going to be absurd.

I'm sure there will be more pros and cons as I sift through the bill more.

*The live-fire is 10rds at 5yds, 10 at 7, and 10 at 10, with a 21 in the black on a B21 target to pass. If you can't hit 21 of the shots at those distances, I don't think I want you carrying anyway!

Last edited by WarCry; 05-24-2013 at 13:13..
WarCry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 13:20   #13
devildog2067

Is there a military exemption for the training? Some states, like Florida, accept a DD214 in lieu of training.
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 13:24   #14
Green Mountain Boy

This is a good thing

We should be supporting these guys and gals not saying it will never happen.

To all of you in IL I hope you can get your ccw in order and protect yourselves. If there becomes a path to an out of state or reciprocity I will visit IL. Until then I will never come to your state.

Maybe the greedy politicians want out of state travel just bad enough? Not to mention all the licence fees they can collect.

Good Luck, GMB

NECC #64
Green Mountain Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 13:35   #15
Jade Falcon
Go Blazers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
And with states that don't maintain their bridges.
Ha, very well said.

Yes, WA. is restrictive, but not nearly as bad as some people think.

Last edited by Jade Falcon; 05-24-2013 at 13:36..
Jade Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 13:54   #16
07 LMB Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostnerave View Post
Sorry to say this will NEVER become a reality in Il. I'm happy for you but it will be very short lived.
You are going to have to expand on this much further. What leads you to make that statement? Are you familiar with the court decision handed down by the 7th? Are you familiar with the current bill that just made its way through the House with a veto-proof majority (and will likely do the same in the Senate)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
Is there a military exemption for the training? Some states, like Florida, accept a DD214 in lieu of training.
The bill allows for up to 8 of the 16 required hours to carry over from previous instruction, but I have yet to see an official answer to whether military training will qualify for those 8 hours (I have seen the question asked a few times though). Logic would say yes, but either way you will most likely be on the hook for at least 8 additional hours.

Last edited by 07 LMB Z06; 05-24-2013 at 13:55..
07 LMB Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 14:19   #17
8-Ball
Drifting Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Falcon View Post
No skin off my ass. Pass it, or don't pass it, I don't give a ****. I have zero patience when it comes to States who don't recognize basic human rights. All who live there, who care about Freedom, should have moved out long ago. To me, there's no excuse for living in restrictive places such as Illinois, California, Hawaii, New York, or Washington DC. No excuse.
Boy, it's a good thing you're not a military general or something. "Don't fight, run!"

If everyone thought like you 250 years ago we'd all be British.

23skidoo (Jeff), CJLandry (Chad), Silent_Runner (Gloria), & GioaJack

Taken too soon.
8-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 14:44   #18
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Its great all the fools that have no idea what they are talking about still bashing away at IL in here. Grow up. We won. We will have Shall Issue, we will have statewide preemption. This bill even kills the chicago AWB and registry.

Hate elsewhere.
Old 05-24-2013, 14:45   #19
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Quote:
Whats it fell like to be a total jackass who rambles about things he doesnt know anything about?
Old 05-24-2013, 14:48   #20
WarCry

Quote:
I get the distinct impression that this comment (and the one he quoted originally) are of the mind that I'm making a prediction. I'm not, the 85 votes already happened. That's why I put up the photo of the "Big Board".

This isn't me saying "I think this bill will get the support", this is me saying "This bill has passed the House today".
Old 05-24-2013, 14:59   #21
Mochahooligan

Well one step closer fir this lovely state!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 05-24-2013, 15:00   #22
Jade Falcon
Go Blazers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-Ball View Post
Boy, it's a good thing you're not a military general or something. "Don't fight, run!"

If everyone thought like you 250 years ago we'd all be British.
You:
The Okie Corral

"wwwaaaaa! I live in Illinois! wwaaaaaaa! I don't wanna live in a free state like everyone else! I don't WANNA!"

Last edited by Jade Falcon; 05-24-2013 at 15:00..
Jade Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 15:13   #23
WarCry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Falcon View Post
"wwwaaaaa! I live in Illinois! wwaaaaaaa! I don't wanna live in a free state like everyone else! I don't WANNA!"
Or perhaps some of us opt to live where we want and base that decision on more than one issue, and when there are issues we don't like, we fight to change them rather than running away because "it's too hard!!!" to change things?

Just spitballin' here.....
Old 05-24-2013, 15:25   #24
07 LMB Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarCry View Post
Or perhaps some of us opt to live where we want and base that decision on more than one issue, and when there are issues we don't like, we fight to change them rather than running away because "it's too hard!!!" to change things?

Just spitballin' here.....
Seriously. Only on GlockTalk are you open to criticism if you don't base the location you choose to live solely on their gun laws. I have an SBR on the way and concealed carry following closely behind. Maybe my view is jaded by simply being used to IL's laws, but life is pretty damn good (and getting better) here in Chicagoland.
07 LMB Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 15:28   #25
Mochahooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 LMB Z06 View Post
Seriously. Only on GlockTalk are you open to criticism if you don't base the location you choose to live solely on their gun laws. I have an SBR on the way and concealed carry following closely behind. Maybe my view is jaded by simply being used to IL's laws, but life is pretty damn good (and getting better) here in Chicagoland.
Yea no doubt! I agree it's not the best state but its home.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire