Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:18   #1
Ghost44

Clays load for Glock 21 ?

I'm a (gonna be) new Glock 21 owner. (In fact I will pick it up next week) I currently reload my own .45 for bullseye shooting.
I like using Hogdon Clays powder. I also understand I need to use a FMJ bullet (not hard cast) in the Glock. Can I get some recommendations for a Clays load for IDPA / combat shooting? (gr., bullet wt., type, OAL, crimp size)
Thanks
Ghost44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 18:37   #2
man.cave

I do use clays for 45 acp, but I shoot 9mm for IDPA, not sure my load would work for you.
man.cave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 20:01   #3
jmccauley

My Personal load is 3.8 grains of Clays under 230 Grain Zero FMJ Coal 1.230 Meets power factor, relatively clean and soft shooter. Works great in My Gen3 21 and my 1911.

Last edited by jmccauley; 05-26-2013 at 20:02..
jmccauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:50   #4
Ghost44

Thanks very much for your reply.
In fact I load 3.8 gr of Clays under a 200 S&S LSWC for my
bullseye shooting in my Springfield 1911.
It looks like I'll try 4 gr of Clays under a 250gr FMJ Berrys Bullet.
Thanks again
Old 05-27-2013, 10:09   #5
Three-Five-Seven
Señor Mombo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost44 View Post
Thanks very much for your reply.
In fact I load 3.8 gr of Clays under a 200 S&S LSWC for my
bullseye shooting in my Springfield 1911.
It looks like I'll try 4 gr of Clays under a 250gr FMJ Berrys Bullet.
Thanks again
The .45 acp has a standardized profile. By that, I mean that the external dimensions of the round are fix so that it runs consistently in the John Browning pistol.

So, when you go to a heavier bullet, the extra mass has to GO DOWN INTO THE CASE. This makes the case volume significantly less with heavier bullets than with a lighter, say 200 grain bullet.

The volume of the .45 acp case is very limited to begin with. It was, of course, minimized to perform it's primary function of being a side arm used in combat.

I recently switched to a heavier bullet in the .45 acp and was really surprised at the dramatic increase in pressure and velocity when I used the same charge with the heavier bullet that I had been using with the 200 grain. I've been climbing back down that tree in increments since then. Many trips to the range with the chronograph to get things back to normal.

I'm sure you get the point. Really reduce your charge weight when moving to a heavier bullet in this round. There just is not a lot of room (literally) for error in the .45 acp.

While increasing the bullet weight by 25%, you're probably halving the case volume since all that mass has to go into the case. 250 grains is a VERY big bullet for the Automatic Colt's Pistol round.

Be careful out there.

Last edited by Three-Five-Seven; 05-27-2013 at 10:14..
Three-Five-Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 14:20   #6
man.cave

typically the heavier the bullet in a rd, the less powder you use. I say typically, but I mean almost always, I haven't run across a load where that wasn't true.
man.cave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 21:06   #7
OrGlocker

I use 3.8 grains of Clays in my Sig P220 with a 200 grain LSWC with no problems.
OrGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:08   #8
Ghost44

It looks like the 3.8 of Clays under a 200 gr LSWC and 4 under a 230 gr FMJ are very doable according to the Hogdon load data site. I'll probably start with the 3.8 gr of Clays under the 230 gr FMJ. Thank you to everyone for the great input.
See table below for load data from the Hogdon website -

Cartridge:
45 ACP
Load Type:
Pistol
Starting Loads
Maximum Loads

Bullet Wt / Type
Powder
Bullet Dia.
COL
Powder Grains
Velocity
Pressure
Powder Grains
Velocity
Pressure
200 Gr Cast LSWC
Hogdon Clays
11,800 cup
17,000 cup
230 Gr HDY FMJ FP
Hogdon Clays
15,900 cup
17,700 cup
230 Gr LRN
Hogdon Clays
13,700 cup
16,800 cup
Old 05-28-2013, 08:15   #9
F106 Fan

You mentioned IDPA competition. If you want to shoot 'minor' (and you probably don't), you need a Power Factor of 125. For 'major', you need a power factor of 165.

Power Factor is bullet weight in grains times velocity in feet per second, all divided by 1000.

A 230 gr bullet only needs to go 717 fps out of a firearm with the maximum barrel length for the class, not necessarily your barrel. 200 gr LSWC only needs to go 825 fps

I would want to have a measured velocity of about 740 fps for the 230 gr or 850 fps for the 200 gr LSWC to guarantee I pass the chronograph test. Again, from a barrel with the maximum length for the class.

BTW, the idea of shooting lead bullets in Glock barrels is discusse every month or so. There is no real consensus (in my view) but a large number of shooters are doing it every day. On a very slow bullet like the .45 ACP at gamer velocities, I don't think you will ever see leading. That could depend on powder but I use 700-X which is only a couple of entries slower than Clays. I decided to err on the side of 'I don't want to have to check my barrel every time I go shooting' and installed a KKM barrel. The difference in bullet cost between jacketed and lead will eventually pay for the barrel. And I don't have to think about leading vs Glock barrels.

There are a lot of reloaders who would recommend staying away from fast powders for two reasons: First, fast powders don't leave much room for error. A little goes a long way toward kaboom. Second, fast powders generally don't fill the case very much and it is more difficult to spot a double charge. The double charge won't overflow the case.

There's another reason to use a slower powder: It is easier to get to higher velocities. Check any reloading manual and you will see that slower powders usually achieve the higher velocities, subject to having enough barrel length to burn the powder.

Richard

Last edited by F106 Fan; 05-28-2013 at 08:16..
F106 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:37   #10
Ghost44

I just ordered (they had them in stock believe it or not) 250 Berry plated230gr bullets from Cabela's. I will shoot them up in short order and then takeRichards advice and get an aftermarket barrel and then shoot my standard S&S 200Gr LSWC.

I have a few lbs. of Clays so I’ll stick with that for now.

Thanks again to all but especially to 3 5 7 and F106 Fan for your detailedinformation. It was a great help.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:34   #11
F106 Fan

Quote:
I just ordered (they had them in stock believe it or not) 250 Berry plated230gr bullets from Cabela's. I will shoot them up in short order and then takeRichards advice and get an aftermarket barrel and then shoot my standard S&S 200Gr LSWC.

I have a few lbs. of Clays so I’ll stick with that for now.

Thanks again to all but especially to 3 5 7 and F106 Fan for your detailedinformation. It was a great help.
Seriously, just for giggles, shoot the S&S 200 gr LSWC in the Glock barrel. I did! That is my preferred bullet at the moment.

I had no leading whatsoever. I had no reason at all to change barrels other than the admonition from Glock re: lead projectiles. Why I lent more credence to that than their more general statement re: not using reloads at all, I don't know.

I guess I read where people were cleaning their barrels every 500 rounds or so and I figured that I could shoot more than that in a single trip and I couldn't see having to clean the barrel half way through a day.

Get a Lewis Lead Remover from Brownell's. It makes it easy to see if leading is present because the lead flakes show up against the bronze screen.

http://www.brownells.com/search/inde...over&ksubmit=y

Check after 20, 50, 100, etc just to see how it works out. You might be surprised. Besides, the Lead Remover is cheaper than a new barrel.

Ultimately, I changed the barrel and you will probably do the same. But if you already have some 200 gr LSWC, why not at least see how they work out? Kind of an experiment...

EDIT: And I highly recommend the KKM barrel. Do some searching of this forum for a truly epic rant re: LWD barrels and lead reloads. I don't know anything about the issue so I don't really have any input but I personally bought the KKM. No regrets!

Richard

Last edited by F106 Fan; 05-28-2013 at 11:37..
F106 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 13:35   #12
fredj338

The issue w/ Clays, it spikes at higher pressures. So it's not a good choice for anything but minor loads in anything, even 45acp. You can't make IDPA major w/ Clays safely IMO w/ a 200gr bullet. You can just get there w/ a 230gr bullet, but not a 200gr. You need 730fps w/ a 230gr, that is pretty tight, not much margin for error. When Clays gets to the top end, it can spike w/ just 1/10gr more or a bullet setback.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 05-28-2013 at 13:37..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 13:53   #13
Ghost44

Fredj338,

OK now I get it. Thanks for the excellent tutorial. I'll use the data yousupplied to find a "slower" powder.
Old 05-28-2013, 13:59   #14
ranger1968

I'm a bit disappointed in this thread; when a saw the title I thought you were going to be shooting skeet with a G-21....

I can't offer you any handloading advice, but best wishes, and good look at your match.
ranger1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 14:16   #15
F106 Fan

Quote:
Fredj338,

OK now I get it. Thanks for the excellent tutorial. I'll use the data yousupplied to find a "slower" powder.
And this is where everybody jumps in with "Unique!".

When you look at powder versus velocity, look for one that extends well beyond your range of interest. Maybe try to keep your target velocity in the middle of the range. That way you have a bit of margin for powder measure variations.

Actually, Unique is a pretty good choice, especially for the 200 gr bullet. Win 231 or HP 38 are also useful. The same logic that says stay away from Clays (because it is a fast powder) probably applies to Bullseye and Titegroup as well.

I would expect Unique to be reasonably available at LGSs. I don't see it at Powder Valley yet but I'm pretty sure my LGS had some.

I am using the very slow WSF for .40 S&W. So far, it seems to work very well.

It's fun to play with the data at Hodgdon. Select a cartridge and then select a bullet weight to get all of the possible loadings for Hodgdon powders:
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Separate out all the 'fast' powders and see what you can do with what's left. Don't go too slow or all you will get is high velocity loads, even on the MIN side.

Richard
Old 05-28-2013, 15:08   #16
fredj338

Not all fast or uberfast powders (faster than W231) have pressures spikes. Some do though, so you have to be careful exceeding top end loads. With some powders, no such thing as a little over, Clays is one.
Medium burners react diff at the top end than most faster powders. So pressures can still go up in a linear fashion. Why many of us recommend medium burners for noobs, but there are some user friendly faster powders.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote