SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-26-2013, 20:28   #1
Shipwreck-The-Sequel
Beretta 92 Nut!

Review - New Olight S20 Baton LED Flashlight

A week ago, I received this new flashlight in the mail... It is my first flashlight from the brand: Olight.

I usually order all my lights from Todd at Illuminationgear.com - However, I needed a new nightstand flashlight, and I had almost $50 worth of Amazon credit card points. So, the light only cost me a few dollars (it is normally around $50) after I used my points...

I wanted a new nightstand flashlight because at night, I often go check the thermostat in the hallway... And, the light I've been using has been too bright... Even on its lowest setting.

The thermostat is outside of my 5 year old son's bedroom, and I always have to put my hand over it so I don't light up the whole hallway and wake him up. I bought this new Olight LED flashlight because it has a very low moonlight setting. That lowest setting is 0.5 lumens.

However, I was surprised at how bright this little sucker is. With its shallow reflector, it has a LOT of flood. The settings are:

- 0.5 Lumens (battery lasts 25 days)
- 5 lumens (battery lasts 120 hours)
- 100 Lumens (battery lasts 9 hours)
- 470 lumens (battery lasts 2 hours and 15 minutes)

The throw isn't as far as my everyday carry Eagletac T20C2 Mk II, but for indoor use, the very wide spill of the Olight S20 is really useful.

For a nightstand light, I wanted something really dim for my nightly use to not wake up my son. But, if there is an intruder - I want something that can crank up in intensity. This definetly does it.

This is my first LED flashlight light where the activation switch is NOT on the rear tail cap. But, if you leave the clip on the body of the flashlight (it is removable if you wish), it makes it much easier to "feel" where the button is (the activation button is on the opposite side of the clip).

To change the light level, all you do is hold the button momentarily, and it goes up to the next light level intensity. When you turn it off, it comes back on at the level you had it last.

The light comes with two CR123A batteries, a lanyard loop, and a couple other things. I personally use the lithium ion 18650 rechargeable batteries instead of non rechargeable, primary batteries. The inside of the Olight S20 body is large enough to accommodate the 18650 battery size.

One last cool feature: the tail cap on the light is magnetic. So, you can stick it somewhere, or even sideways on a metal surface, and it will stick. If someone bought this for everyday carry use, this could be useful (depending on what kinda job you have or where you typically work).

Overall, I really like this light. I spent a long time looking at various lights that had very low light levels, but also were bright enough to use if you needed to light up a situation with a potential intruder. I also wanted a light that was still tall enough to reach for and grab in the dark. Many of these lights were 1 cell lights, or they used AA or AAA batteries. This light is shorter than a typical 2 cell "tactical light," but not too short. I did try it out 1 or 2 times last night, and i could easily grab it in the dark when I tried.

Overall, I am very happy with the light

Sights, Optics and Lasers

Shipwreck-The-Sequel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 20:40   #2
itstime

Nice review. Cool light. I've been buying up everything Powertac has. All made by Olight.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 20:43   #3
itstime

Their new model looks like the same thing with 1 123 battery.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 21:03   #4
Shipwreck-The-Sequel
Beretta 92 Nut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itstime View Post
Their new model looks like the same thing with 1 123 battery.
Well, I wanted a longer light for a night stand light. That's why I wanted a 2 cell flashlight. A 1 cell is harder to find in the dark.

Also, I like to use rechargable 18650 cells.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel is offline   Reply With Quote