SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-26-2013, 00:28   #1
Henry's Dad
woof, woof

hunting leases/private land access

For those of you with experience, how do you approach securing a hunting lease?

I'm not looking for a massive tract of land with a cabin. I just want to get access to a few private acres in my area. (I just moved so I don't yet know anyone here with land who I can ask as a friend.)

What would be a reasonable fee for access during the season? Do landowners generally charge based on # of acres they have? Number of hunters going in on the lease?

I just really have no idea what this sort of thing normally costs, so I'm looking for some guidance so I'm not negotiating blindly.

Thanks.
Henry's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:03   #2
garyo

My father in-law leases out about 36 acres to I think 4 guys for hunting in the fall/winter. He gets about $1050 a year for this. He and is immediate family can still hunt the land, but no others. We occasionally get some venison out of the deal. The same guys have been renting from him for something like 30 years.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:37   #3
Ragnar

In my area, the local gun stores have bulletin boards with people offering hunting leases. Also see them occasionally in the paper or craigslist. You could also try the internet.

http://www.nationalhuntingleases.com/
http://www.huntinglease.com/
http://www.hightechredneck.com/
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:49   #4
Combatcomm

Look at Craigs list and if your state has an hunting paper and online presence look there. Sometimes you can find a person that will “lease” his land to you to hunt is you pay the yearly taxes and insurance but that is getting harder to find.

I will not hunt pubic land, too dangerous as allot of hunters on PL shoot ant anything that movers and will hunt too close to where you are set up.

I am on a lease with about 15 other people. Most of us have been in the club for 20 plus years. dues are $700 a year per member. We have 800 acres.

Good luck on your search, let us know what you find

Last edited by Combatcomm; 05-27-2013 at 08:51..
Combatcomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 13:39   #5
larry_minn
Silver Membership

Get word around, ask folks. Adds in paper/boards, online. IF you show respect for property, people more land can open up.
I have some dang nice property for hunting. Have some regular folks that hunt yearly. (and waste time getting rid of slobs) Who consider a "No Hunting without permission" as permission.
larry_minn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 13:42   #6
onesock73

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyo View Post
My father in-law leases out about 36 acres to I think 4 guys for hunting in the fall/winter. He gets about $1050 a year for this. He and is immediate family can still hunt the land, but no others.
$1050 for 36 acres,

What do they hunt, deer?
onesock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 14:15   #7
VC-Racing
General Flunky

We are partial owners in a small 4500 acre ( we rent 4000 acres, own 500 acres ) trophy managed hunting club ( still hunting only for deer and hog ) . We have 20 members and dues are $2000 /yr per member . Club members also have , all in season hunting privileges ( deer, hog, duck , dove , squirrel, turkey and rabbit), they also have fishing rights along with access to a club owned boat landing , access to club meat processing equipment including walking coolers.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Last edited by VC-Racing; 05-27-2013 at 14:29..
VC-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote