Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-21-2013, 20:45   #1
M&P Shooter
Metal Member

Replaced my Gen 4 trigger with a Gen 3...WOW!

I had a Gen 3 serrated trigger laying around I changed on my G23 to a smooth and decided to give the Gen 3 trigger & bar a try in my Gen 4 G22. I originally did a full trigger polish, 3.5lb Lonewolf trigger connector and 6lb Wolf trigger spring and wasn't totally happy with feel. I Google searched the topic and found many people have switched out bar for a Gen 3 so I did and it made a world of difference, it feels great now
Old 05-22-2013, 01:25   #2
JBP55

If an OEM Gen 3 trigger bar impressed you try a Vanek trigger.
JBP55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:07   #3
cmr287

What specifically is the difference in the trigger bar????? Why is the 3 better than the 4???
V/R
Chris
Military armors course-1996,Battalion master trainer CQB/ CQC 2nd BDE 10 MTN DIV (LI). Small Arms marksmanship Instructor, 2006-2007,Colt Armorer's Course, 2010, Army Marksmanship Units CQM course/ SDM course-2012, Glock Armorer's Course 2013
cmr287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:38   #4
kenndapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
If an OEM Gen 3 trigger bar impressed you try a Vanek trigger.
Woop there it is. Plan on picking up some new vanek kits for my new gen4 as I like them n my gen3 feels great but didn't spring for any lightnen striker option. Does his lightened striker make it that much better? Worth the cost?
kenndapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:24   #5
JBP55

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenndapp View Post
Woop there it is. Plan on picking up some new vanek kits for my new gen4 as I like them n my gen3 feels great but didn't spring for any lightnen striker option. Does his lightened striker make it that much better? Worth the cost?

The lighter firing pin is a good idea if you plan on using a 4# firing pin spring (range pistol) which is not advised on a carry pistol due to the possibility of light strikes. If you are staying with the OEM firing pin spring I would also stay with the OEM Firing pin.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:33   #6
kenndapp

Quote:
The lighter firing pin is a good idea if you plan on using a 4# firing pin spring (range pistol) which is not advised on a carry pistol due to the possibility of light strikes. If you are staying with the OEM firing pin spring I would also stay with the OEM Firing pin.
It thought the light strikers with extended tips ( vanek uses jäger?) we're supposed to prevent light strkes even with the reduced power springs? What about when using his 5.0 medium to heavy spring supplied with kit? Also, staying on topic...

Is vanek using the gen 3 (modified) trigger bar in the gen 4 kits. Or is he using a gen 4 bar with the new angled dogleg? I heard the changed geometry of the modified vanek trigger bar can be even harder on trigger springs than usual ...... Reason for curved dogeg in gen4 trigger bars to begin with right?

Last edited by kenndapp; 05-22-2013 at 11:39..
Old 05-22-2013, 12:22   #7
JBP55

Quote:
It thought the light strikers with extended tips ( vanek uses jäger?) we're supposed to prevent light strkes even with the reduced power springs? What about when using his 5.0 medium to heavy spring supplied with kit? Also, staying on topic...

Is vanek using the gen 3 (modified) trigger bar in the gen 4 kits. Or is he using a gen 4 bar with the new angled dogleg? I heard the changed geometry of the modified vanek trigger bar can be even harder on trigger springs than usual ...... Reason for curved dogeg in gen4 trigger bars to begin with right?
I am in agreement with your first paragraph. Vanek uses the Gen 4 trigger bar for Gen 4 pistols. The Gen 4 trigger bars are improved and have less chance of breaking a trigger spring. Vanek advises you to use the OEM trigger spring with his triggers. The medium spring supplied by Vanek works well with the OEM firing pin and the light spring works well with the lightweight firing pin on all but the hardest primers.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:58   #8
TheRogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmr287 View Post
What specifically is the difference in the trigger bar????? Why is the 3 better than the 4???
V/R
Chris
The Gen 4 trigger bar has an additional "bump" that makes contact (drag) against the slide.

This "bump" not only increases the trigger pull weight, but the friction against the slide may lead to other malfunctions...
e.g., stovepipes, weak ejection.
TheRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 13:02   #9
up1911fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRogue View Post
The Gen 4 trigger bar has an additional "bump" that makes contact (drag) against the slide.

This "bump" not only increases the trigger pull weight, but the friction against the slide may lead to other malfunctions...
If you say so....
up1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 15:09   #10
JBP55

Quote:

Not an issue in the many dozens I have worked on.
Old 05-22-2013, 17:24   #11
bjesse60

Quote:
I am in agreement with your first paragraph. Vanek uses the Gen 4 trigger bar for Gen 4 pistols. The Gen 4 trigger bars are improved and have less chance of breaking a trigger spring. Vanek advises you to use the OEM trigger spring with his triggers. The medium spring supplied by Vanek works well with the OEM firing pin and the light spring works well with the lightweight firing pin on all but the hardest primers.
I thought the Gen 3 trigger bars were updated to prevent the spring breakage? So that would mean the only difference is the added bump on the Gen 4 is this not correct?

Last edited by bjesse60; 05-22-2013 at 17:24..
bjesse60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 17:25   #12
kenndapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjesse60 View Post
I thought the Gen 3 trigger bars were updated to prevent the spring breakage? So that would mean the only difference is the added bump on the Gen 4 is this not correct?
new gen3 trigger bars have a curved dog leg too???
Old 05-22-2013, 18:04   #13
JBP55

Quote:
new gen3 trigger bars have a curved dog leg too???
Newer ones yes.
Old 05-22-2013, 18:04   #14
man.cave

Quote:

Yeahhhhhh that's it, , Don't forget the G21 gen 3 have always had the "bump"
man.cave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 00:55   #15
TruthNotRelative

Quote:

This is confusing to me. I purchased an NIB G38 about 3 years ago. It was a Gen 3, yet still had this "bump".

I eventually turned my G38 into a G23 (slide swap). I ended up sending my G23 to Glock for a frame swap just a couple of months ago (I had mod's done that I didn't like), and when it left me, it had the trigger bar with the "bump", upon receiving my G23 back from Glock, I learned that the lower that came back to me had a trigger bar with no "bump" (still Gen 3). All Gen 3, what gives?
"You forgot your BRIEFCASE!!!!!!"-

Last edited by TruthNotRelative; 05-23-2013 at 00:57..
TruthNotRelative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:19   #16
man.cave

Glock 45's have the Bump. The purpose of it is reduce the amount of flex in the trigger bar and the 45's already had more space in the slide area thus why they already had it. All I do with the bump is just polish it a little more than the rest of the trigger bar. I have both gen 3 and gen 4 Glocks, the very small difference btw the two triggers has to do with the slight angle change the trigger bar has on the connector. The Gen 4 is slightly crisper than gen3 due to the "bump". This is what I have read can agree with.
man.cave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:54   #17
M&P Shooter
Metal Member

I'm not impressed with the Gen 3 trigger bar, I'm impressed with the improvement the Gen 3 trigger bar has in the Gen 4 Glock. I installed a 3.5lb LW connector, 6lb Wolf trigger spring and did a full polish and thought why does it feel like crap still. I Googled Gen 4 triggers and read about the problem the bump has and installed a old polished Gen 3 bar I had laying around, big difference
Old 05-24-2013, 08:53   #18
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by man.cave View Post
Glock 45's have the Bump. The purpose of it is reduce the amount of flex in the trigger bar and the 45's already had more space in the slide area thus why they already had it. All I do with the bump is just polish it a little more than the rest of the trigger bar. I have both gen 3 and gen 4 Glocks, the very small difference btw the two triggers has to do with the slight angle change the trigger bar has on the connector. The Gen 4 is slightly crisper than gen3 due to the "bump". This is what I have read can agree with.
I believe all Glock large frame Gen3s have always had the 'bump' - and the reason for it is to keep the raised edge of the trigger bar centered under the FP safety (reliably). It is generally considered that the Gen4 bump adds 1/2 lb to the trigger pull; ergo, the dot (.) connector in later Gen4s.
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote