Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:30   #1
Pier23

Summer storage of loaded Tomcat in boot of van

I hear the flamestarters sparking to life now.

My wife recently got her CCW but is not in the 24x7 carry mode yet. She wants a weapon available, but does not want to continually think about securing it around kids, strangers and so forth.

She had her Tomcat in the boot of her van during a recent trip, and asked if it could stay there for the summer -main issue being heat.

Yes, we had the discussion about a weapon needs to be in reach, and all that. For now she is not going with a concealment purse or other conceal options, because she does not want to think 24x7 about the gun, but wants one around.

So, let us accept that as the current reality.

How well will modern ammo hold up in 100+ degree temps, stored in the boot of a minivan?

I am assuming that the Tomcat itself will be unaffected due to its all-metal construction.

(Unrelated question...how do polymers hold up under heat? Do they melt or deform at left-in-car temps?)
Pier23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:42   #2
pointnopoint

What is the boot of a mini van? I'm assuming glove compartment. Should be just fine, I would assume. Just not too good to have it unsecured.
Niner's Club #253
pointnopoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:57   #3
datatech2550

Don't leave it on the dash and it should be fine. West Texas gets pretty hot and folks leave firearms in vehicles all the time.

I would however recommend a lock box.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 06-02-2013, 13:14   #4
ronin.45

I'd want something humidity controlled. Gets moist around here.
Old 06-02-2013, 13:47   #5
Pier23

Well, boot is as close as I can describe. Lift the floor panel that gives access to the spare tire, and in this car there is a compartmented tray for...stuff.

So, as locations go, it ain't bad. You have to lift carpet and pop out the floor panel, so obvious it isn't, plus the van itself is easily locked.

She will just need 10 minutes warning of an attack to get to it.

Putting dessicant gel packs in the carry case is a good idea. Will have to find some.

She does have a lock box for it...but I need to figure a way to secure it to a hard part of its storage location.

Thx all!

Last edited by Pier23; 06-02-2013 at 13:50..
Old 06-02-2013, 14:58   #6
Murgatroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pier23 View Post
Well, boot is as close as I can describe. Lift the floor panel that gives access to the spare tire, and in this car there is a compartmented tray for...stuff.

So, as locations go, it ain't bad. You have to lift carpet and pop out the floor panel, so obvious it isn't, plus the van itself is easily locked.

She will just need 10 minutes warning of an attack to get to it.

Putting dessicant gel packs in the carry case is a good idea. Will have to find some.

She does have a lock box for it...but I need to figure a way to secure it to a hard part of its storage location.

Thx all!
Are you an American? If so, you are the first American I have ever heard use the term 'boot' for a trunk or storage space, do you call the hood a 'bonnet' and the engine a 'lump?'

The gun will be fine, you obviously covered the 'keep it near' aspect of the concern, but if she is determined, there is nothing wrong with it being stuffed into a storage space. Even better if it locks, but I am of the firm mind that locks only stop honest folks.

The heat won't cause the ammo to cook off, it would have to get something like 300* for that to happen. As long as the gun isn't in direct heat, the odds are nil.
Murgatroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 15:03   #7
Keoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murgatroy View Post
Are you an American? If so, you are the first American I have ever heard use the term 'boot' for a trunk or storage space, do you call the hood a 'bonnet' and the engine a 'lump?'
Bollocks. Stop making fun of him you arse.
Springfield Loaded (Black SS)
Sig P220 Stainless Elite
Keoking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 17:51   #8
Pier23

Hmmph...actually, Ich bin ein Wiesbadener.

The van doesn't have a "trunk"... Nor actually does it have a "boot" in the sense of my VW Bug, but saying it was in "a storage area beneath the optional third-row bench seating" seemed a bit long-winded.

Now...bugger off, you sod....
Old 06-02-2013, 19:20   #9
VA27

Change out the silica packs and the ammo once a year and it should be ok. I'd still look at it once a month to make sure there's minimal dust/no rust. My wife used to keep a blue Charter Arms under the drivers seat, in a cigar box, with no problems at all.

The NRA is my union.
VA27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 19:34   #10
Bruce M

Vehicle burglars may get the gun but the heat will not. I would probably consider changing the ammunition after the summer, but most likely it will be ok also.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 20:02   #11
Pier23

I was wondering at what point ammo starts degrading due to heat. It appears it is stable for significant periods of time?
Old 06-02-2013, 22:58   #12
Maine

General Firearms Forum

Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:06   #13
Pier23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine View Post
General Firearms Forum
OK....guess that makes as much sense as anything else in this thread, but I don't understand it...

"Das Boot" -aside from being one of the alltime great WWII movies means "The Boat" -- so I didn't see what this contrivance had to do with either submarines or boats in general, but interesting nonetheless....
Old 06-03-2013, 13:35   #14
Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pier23 View Post
OK....guess that makes as much sense as anything else in this thread, but I don't understand it...

"Das Boot" -aside from being one of the alltime great WWII movies means "The Boat" -- so I didn't see what this contrivance had to do with either submarines or boats in general, but interesting nonetheless....
The pic is in reference to the movie Beerfest. Great movie if you haven't seen it.

All this talk about the boot made me think of it. I think your wife's ammo will be fine stored in a vehicle but I'd suggest you keep working with getting her to carry on her person or at least a more accessible place.

There is a website specifically for women who carry/own firearms called Corneredcat . com. This may give her some ideas and knowledge if she's open to reading about such things. Good luck either way and don't forget watch Beerfest one of these days.

Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:21   #15
M2 Carbine

Quote:
I was wondering at what point ammo starts degrading due to heat. It appears it is stable for significant periods of time?
Ammo stands up to the heat well.

Even in this Texas heat my car guns are sometimes loaded for years before I change the ammo.

About heat and ammo.
In 1995 my gun shop burned to the ground.

This 50 cal box of 9mm wasn't in the fire but close enough to burn the paint and cause about 35 rounds to "blow" a fist size hole in the bottom of the box.
This ammo was subjected to far more heat than in a car in the hot Sun.

Eventually I shot all that surviving ammo. As I recall it all shot fine.

General Firearms Forum
M2 Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:25   #16
dregotglock
CHL Instructor

I do not see an issue with this due to heat but...

Is there not a location you could mount or attach a Nano Vault or something similar? Under the seat or even mount it in a glove box. It would at least put the firearm closer to her in the even that she needed it.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:33   #17
fuzzy03cls

Stupid way to car carry. Need to rethink that. But the gun & ammo will be fine. Car doesn't get hot enough to effect bullets. Think about all the ammo stored in trucks in the stan....
fuzzy03cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:13   #18
Pier23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine View Post
The pic is in reference to the movie Beerfest. Great movie if you haven't seen it.

All this talk about the boot made me think of it. I think your wife's ammo will be fine stored in a vehicle but I'd suggest you keep working with getting her to carry on her person or at least a more accessible place.

There is a website specifically for women who carry/own firearms called Corneredcat . com. This may give her some ideas and knowledge if she's open to reading about such things. Good luck either way and don't forget watch Beerfest one of these days.
She likes the corneredcat site a lot.

Sorry, don't know about Beerfest but will see if I can find it.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:17   #19
Pier23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dregotglock View Post
I do not see an issue with this due to heat but...

Is there not a location you could mount or attach a Nano Vault or something similar? Under the seat or even mount it in a glove box. It would at least put the firearm closer to her in the even that she needed it.
I have looked...nothing obvious...ideally the dash would be modified to hold a weapon in a concealed compartment but we are not there yet...
Old 06-04-2013, 12:15   #20
GNut76
Got Guns??

Ammo heat

As with the others I don't think heat would be an issue. Change out ammo periodicly. You may want to get a vehicle mounted lock box too.

On a side note M2, The ruger in the pic was it shootable after? Sorry about your shop....that would be a nightmare for me if I owned a shop.
Black Rifle Club #76
Kalashnikov Club #95
Model 1911 Club #76
40 S&W #95
GNut76 is offline   Reply With Quote